ADVERTISEMENT

Tearing down the dump in Evanston

During the demo/construction, I saw Northwestern is going to play a home game in Lambeau against Wisconsin.

• Haha
Reactions: pistachio1999
Why'd they wait so long to start? I know for the South end zone, Iowa started demo within a week after the end of the season. I don't remember the press box or north EZ but I feel like they didn't wait until the spring.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
NW FB is going to be nomads next two seasons playing at Wrigley,Soldier,Fire/soccer/No.Illinois/ Lambeau/ Ford? Not sure if NW hosts Iowa in 25 but if it is after Nov 1 probably back to Wrigley.

They could have theater style chairs. Give space and play it off as the most comfortable stadium. I know, genius.

Small school. C’mon.
I don't expect them to draw 70K for every game, but I certainly would expect that they could fill a 50k stadium at least once a year against a marquee opponent, and more often when they have a good team. Building a stadium that would only be larger than Wake Forest among P-4 schools is just like saying "I give up."

I can’t believe that stadium was allowed to exist in the B1G for so long. There’s nicer Texas HS stadiums FFS.

I don't expect them to draw 70K for every game, but I certainly would expect that they could fill a 50k stadium at least once a year against a marquee opponent, and more often when they have a good team. Building a stadium that would only be larger than Wake Forest among P-4 schools is just like saying "I give up."
Yeah they need to keep that room for all the visiting fans that come in and take it over.

I can’t believe that stadium was allowed to exist in the B1G for so long. There’s nicer Texas HS stadiums FFS.
It had some pretty flowers in the end zone I recall. Loved the 80s boom box sound system with 80s rock blaring from it.

I suspect that their goal is to exclude/minimize opposing fans. The sketches I saw look as though it could be loud if they can fill it with their people. They lose the ticket revenue, but will do OK with the league's tv deal.

I suspect that their goal is to exclude/minimize opposing fans. The sketches I saw look as though it could be loud if they can fill it with their people. They lose the ticket revenue, but will do OK with the league's tv deal.
They won't lose much ticket revenue if any. Prices will likely go up with a nicer, newer stadium. And as you said, the vibe will definitely be better.

Check out their average attendance over the years. They average around 1 sell out/year over the past 20 years.

http://hailtopurple.com/cde/attendance_annual.html

That was a super-awful stadium forty years ago in the 80's. But it was great for traveling Iowa fans. You could walk up to the ticket window on Saturday morning and buy really good seats - and as many as you wanted.

Some good memories of going there to the Hawks smash NW. A was a stress free game.

Purposely built to be expandable by closing in the bowl, but we know they'll never get enough people to warrant that.
You're half right. It was built to be expandable but not by closing the bowl. It was built to add another level above the second deck.

Expansion​

The stadium was designed to be capable of supporting future seating expansion to 80,000. The 30,000 seats would be added above the second deck of the stadium from the end of the press boxes across to the northwest end of the venue, wrapping around the remainder of the horseshoe.[56] The auxiliary video display currently adjacent to the easternmost section of the media areas would likely be relocated to atop the new third deck. The University of Minnesota could add all 30,000 seats in a single addition or in increments of 10,000 seats, meeting demand as it is needed (although the duplicated costs of such a plan make it unlikely). If expansion is ever undertaken, it can be completed in about 9 months so that there would be minimal interruption of a football season.[63]

Reactions: lucas80
The way they partitioned that construction zone off looks like it took all of Mustard's Last Stand's parking lot away.

You're half right. It was built to be expandable but not by closing the bowl. It was built to add another level above the second deck.

Expansion​

The stadium was designed to be capable of supporting future seating expansion to 80,000. The 30,000 seats would be added above the second deck of the stadium from the end of the press boxes across to the northwest end of the venue, wrapping around the remainder of the horseshoe.[56] The auxiliary video display currently adjacent to the easternmost section of the media areas would likely be relocated to atop the new third deck. The University of Minnesota could add all 30,000 seats in a single addition or in increments of 10,000 seats, meeting demand as it is needed (although the duplicated costs of such a plan make it unlikely). If expansion is ever undertaken, it can be completed in about 9 months so that there would be minimal interruption of a football season.[63]
Ah, I stand corrected. Perhaps the open end of the stadium bumps up against a road or other property.

Edit: minny had a classic brick fully round stadium that they tore down in the 80s in favor of the inflatable toilet

Reactions: BonzoFury
been cheaper and easier just to have a squadron of SU -34s drop some FAB -1500S on the dump
You'd need four squadrons at the rate the Russians are losing them. The NW cheer squad would bring down half of them, and another quarter would just fall out of the sky due to poor maintenance and drunken pilots.

Iowa fans have fond memories because it was an easy drive to Evanston, and we owned that place for about 20 years.

Ah, I stand corrected. Perhaps the open end of the stadium bumps up against a road or other property.

Edit: minny had a classic brick fully round stadium that they tore down in the 80s in favor of the inflatable toilet
Pretty sure there's an "elaborate" entrance on that end and then a road right there

Pretty sure there's an "elaborate" entrance on that end and then a road right there
Yes, the West end opens toward the skyline and campus. It’s also where the huge scoreboard is.

@General Tsao , I had a good chuckle at “inflatable toilet”! 😂.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT