ADVERTISEMENT

Ted Cruz on legislation to regulate college sports

BioHawk

HR Legend
Sep 21, 2005
Evidently he was at 60-40 that it would get done but now is down to 50-50. On one hand, if something isn't passed to regulate college sports then I'm not sure it will survive the decade. On the other hand, Ted Cruz and I seem to be on the same side of an issue here and now I feel like I need to take a shower and then go to church.

This is going nowhere. Ted Cruz is universally despised, and the round table (outside of Saban) is a clown show.

Ask UF fans what they think of Heitner.

Reactions: Tom Paris and Moral
“All the things I believed in for all these years, 50 years of coaching, no longer exist in college athletics,” Saban said. "It’s whoever wants to pay the most money, raise the most money, buy the most players is going to have the best opportunity to win. And I don’t think that’s the spirit of college athletics, and I don’t think it’s ever been the spirit of what we want college athletics to be."

The rich getting richer is basically how Saban got it done at Alabama. Maybe he couldn't see it from the top but the talent gap was already this way in NCAAF. The difference will be that straight up cash money will select a few future blue blood programs.

I feel confident in saying that the Ted Cruz sitting down with the ACC Commissioner, the Alabama AD, and Nick Saban will amount to nothing good for college football

Reactions: BelemNole and Moral
Evidently he was at 60-40 that it would get done but now is down to 50-50. On one hand, if something isn't passed to regulate college sports then I'm not sure it will survive the decade. On the other hand, Ted Cruz and I seem to be on the same side of an issue here and now I feel like I need to take a shower and then go to church.
Not a very informative article.

You (and I ) and Ted Cruz have decided there is a problem. That alone shouldn't send us to the showers.

What's the solution? If I agree with Ted Cruz on the solution I will be shocked.

Shocked I tell you.

Reactions: BioHawk and Moral
“All the things I believed in for all these years, 50 years of coaching, no longer exist in college athletics,” Saban said. "It’s whoever wants to pay the most money, raise the most money, buy the most players is going to have the best opportunity to win. And I don’t think that’s the spirit of college athletics, and I don’t think it’s ever been the spirit of what we want college athletics to be."

The rich getting richer is basically how Saban got it done at Alabama. Maybe he couldn't see it from the top but the talent gap was already this way in NCAAF. The difference will be that straight up cash money will select a few future blue blood programs.
I mean, he's not wrong but it does ring hollow from him given how he ran his program. It seems liked he was ok with the rich getting richer when he was at the top, but now that there is competition it's not nearly as fun.

I'm sure it's just a coincidence that Alabama football is one of the top revenue generators in all of college athletics.

Reactions: BelemNole and Moral
Not a very informative article.

You (and I ) and Ted Cruz have decided there is a problem. That alone shouldn't send us to the showers.

What's the solution? If I agree with Ted Cruz on the solution I will be shocked.

Shocked I tell you.
That's why I said "seem to be" since it isn't clear what is actually being negotiated. But given the stage of development that's not surprising.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT