ADVERTISEMENT

Tesla owners run into trouble amid bitter cold

If you don't have a home charging station, which is very common in urban areas, are you just supposed to not travel anywhere for a a few weeks in the winter?

EV's aren't for everyone, and should be a personal choice, not a government choice. They work great for a lot of people. Not so much for other people.
I would recommend not getting an EV currently if that is your living situation.

This is why Mrs. Torbee is getting the plug-in hybrid 4 series from BMW and not a full EV.

Reactions: Joes Place
I wonder how long you can keep the car parked outside in the elements before it freezes (when the battery goes below 20%). Have to think the battery would start draining fast trying to keep itself warm as it does in a S Florida summer trying to keep itself cooler.

I do like the idea of a hybrid and the Honda product that came out last year is intriguing.

If you are a two vehicle family a gas or hybrid vehicle along with an EV is not a bad combo. Like everything in life there are pros and cons to both. However, let the people decide what is best for their situation. It’s human nature that people don’t like to be told what they can and can’t buy.

Reactions: Finance85
I don't hate EVs, but they should be allowed to evolve in our marketplace naturally, not forced down our throat by the government.
You seem to be ignoring the fact that the market is already unnaturally tilted towards fossil fuels. Remove all subsidies (direct and indirect) associated with fossil fuels and hold the industry responsible for externalized costs, and then we'll have a natural marketplace. It's fossil fuels that are being forced down our throat by the government. (Should we also discuss ethanol while we're at it?)

Did the government try to force him to have a horse instead of letting him have a car or truck or bicycle?

It is a straw man argument.

Read The Atlantic article I posted --- it is auto companies not the big bad "gubmint" leading the charge to shift away from ICE vehicles.
No, it’s not a straw man at all. Consumers want choices that meet their specific needs. Look at the water aisle in your grocery store. There must be 40 choices. Auto companies have been offering multiple engine, powertrain, model and trim choices for decades. Adding EV choices is wise for them but that choice alone will not satisfy many consumers and would cost them market share, economies of scale and profitability. Toyota and Honda have stated this in their future long term plans. I would consider an EV in the future but they are not for everyone.

Reactions: abby97
It is a straw man argument.

Read The Atlantic article I posted --- it is auto companies not the big bad "gubmint" leading the charge to shift away from ICE vehicles.
And this is simply not true. They are being forced by by ever stricter CAFE standards. They would prefer to evolve naturally.
https://www.businessinsider.com/electric-car-ev-sales-prices-problem-transportation-2024-1?op=1

https://fortune.com/2023/11/04/carm...-investments-demand-inflation-interest-rates/

“Every automaker was so aggressive with their plans,” Jessica Caldwell, Edmunds’ head of insights, said. “We’re seeing those being dialed back to better match where consumers are right now.”

General Motors CEO Mary Barra remains committed to the company’s targets, so long as consumer interest is there.

“We still have a plan in place that allows us to be all light-duty vehicles EV by 2035,” Barra said in an Automotive Press Association event on December 4. “We’ll adjust based on where the customer is and where demand is. It’s not going to be, if we build it they will come. We’re going to be led by the customer.”

Many of these companies’ auto dealers are now raising alarm about what they see as slowing EV interest.

Last week, several thousand dealers from across the country wrote in a public letter to President Joe Biden their concerns over the shift to EVs, calling electrification mandates “unrealistic based on current and forecasted customer demand. Already, electric vehicles are stacking up on our lots.”

No, it’s not a straw man at all. Consumers want choices that meet their specific needs. Look at the water aisle in your grocery store. There must be 40 choices. Auto companies have been offering multiple engine, powertrain, model and trim choices for decades. Adding EV choices is wise for them but that choice alone will not satisfy many consumers and would cost them market share, economies of scale and profitability. Toyota and Honda have stated this in their future long term plans. I would consider an EV in the future but they are not for everyone.
Weird, my wife just ordered a new car and she could choose from ICE, hybrid or EV.

I guess maybe we live in a different country than you?

Reactions: PackerHawkeye1
The (no pic) wife just bought a new, non-EV, vehicle last month. Weird how the government wasn’t there to step in to void the transaction.
They're going to come and confiscate it on the same day they come and take away everyone's guns and gas stoves.

And this is simply not true. They are being forced by by ever stricter CAFE standards. They would prefer to evolve naturally.
Once again, the market is already unnaturally skewed in favor of ICEs by MASSIVE subsidies and externalized costs. Now that we're at this point, it's disingenuous to make the argument that any policies that favor the proliferation of EVs should be opposed because they would unnaturally skew the market or that the government is shoving EVs down our throat. If the price of gasoline reflected the actual costs, investment in R&D for batteries/EVs would have resulted in a massive transition away from ICEs many years ago.

Walking, bicycling, public transportation and Uber will do.
I take it you live in a big city or dream of living in one and that is not at all my style. In enjoy driving and having the freedom of getting behind the wheel and going anywhere. To each their own.

I take it you live in a big city or dream of living in one and that is not at all my style. In enjoy driving and having the freedom of getting behind the wheel and going anywhere. To each their own.

No. I live in a small town, and deliberately moved close to work. I like not wasting my life getting to and from work. I prefer to keep my time and money.

EVERGREEN PARK, Ill. (CBS) -- Some Tesla drivers learned the hard way amid this frigid snap about how cold weather affects battery life.

At a charging station at The Evergreen Marketplace, at 9200 S. Western Ave. in Evergreen Park, Teslas were lined up early Monday morning. Some of the Teslas' batteries died – leaving the cars sitting askew and immobile in the parking lot.

Driver said some of the charging stations weren't working – and those that were working took a lot longer than usual to charge.

"I've been here for over five hours at this point, and I still have not gotten to charge my car," said Tesla driver Brandon Welbourne. "A charge that should take 45 minutes is taking two hours."

Welbourne said he saw at least 10 cars towed.

Tesla advises owners to keep the charge level above 20 percent during bitter cold weather.

I am astonished that some people plan 45 minutes into their day to charge their car at a public charging station.

That is essentially me on my home from work stopping and parking at Casey's for 45 minutes then continuing my trek home. I'd rather rip my junk off and throw it in the river than do that.

No. I live in a small town, and deliberately moved close to work. I like not wasting my life getting to and from work. I prefer to keep my time and money.
That’s why I would love to work from home. I live in a small town as well and hate having to waste time commuting.
But I’m not sure how you get Uber and public transit in a small town? Unless you don’t really live in a “small town”
Also how does waiting on Uber and public transit save you time?

How about what Joe Biden, California, and the links I actually posted tell me?
The following year Congress passed the Inflation Reduction Act, which created a bevy of incentives for drivers to buy electric and for automakers to invest in EVs.

Incentives aren't mandates.

Nothing in this article you link mentions mandates or government forcing anything on anyone: https://fortune.com/2023/11/04/carm...-investments-demand-inflation-interest-rates/

Am I missing something from your links? Because I am not seeing anything about government mandates.

Am I missing something from your links? Because I am not seeing anything about government mandates.

Yep. There are no "mandates".

He's getting all that nonsense from his email, Twitter and OAN/Newsmax feeds.

That’s why I would love to work from home. I live in a small town as well and hate having to waste time commuting.
But I’m not sure how you get Uber and public transit in a small town? Unless you don’t really live in a “small town”
Also how does waiting on Uber and public transit save you time?

I dont need Uber and Public Transportation a whole lot, but I would use them if available more to me. For now its mostly walking.

Nobody said every product is for everybody.
Totally this and I'm not going to bash people who buy products that don't work for me just because my ideological overlords tell me to. These people whining about EVs sound just as dumb as the horse people did back when the combustion engine was invented.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT