ADVERTISEMENT

Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC?

I always felt like they should've tried harder to do that after they got TCU and WVU. Try to add 2 more schools years later it would only strengthen and solidify the conference even more after almost falling apart a decade ago. There were the rumors not too long ago about the addition of some schools like Houston, UCF and SMU thrown out there. Wonder if they would still try and get teams like those 3 or other AAC schools like Cincinnati? But then again those schools know they got some stability with conference they are in now and with potential of expanding the football playoffs there isn't as much allure to going to the Big 12 to help them with football.

Teams I'd like to see Big 10 go after if they expand by 2 more would be Kansas, Okie St, K-State or WVU who could be a sleeper fit with us getting more East Coast schools these last few years.
SEC adds UT and OU, and the B1G counters by adding KSU and WVU? Ummmmm, no.

None of OkSU, KSU, or WVU will be considered for half a second by the B1G COPC. Complete non-starter.

Kansas is a marginal candidate, at best. They're only coming if its a second to OU or UT. Or, a pipe dream.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Also for the B1G, invited members have to be AAU and don’t they have to be contiguous to the existing footprint? That would be a pretty small list I think. Off the top of my head, KU, ISU, Pitt, ND, and Virginia. Syracuse maybe? Not including SEC schools obviously.
Well for starters I don't think that Nebraska is a AAU member. As far as being continguos to the current footprint then how did we add Maryland and Rutgers(New Jersey) last time???

I always felt like they should've tried harder to do that after they got TCU and WVU. Try to add 2 more schools years later it would only strengthen and solidify the conference even more after almost falling apart a decade ago. There were the rumors not too long ago about the addition of some schools like Houston, UCF and SMU thrown out there. Wonder if they would still try and get teams like those 3 or other AAC schools like Cincinnati? But then again those schools know they got some stability with conference they are in now and with potential of expanding the football playoffs there isn't as much allure to going to the Big 12 to help them with football.

Teams I'd like to see Big 10 go after if they expand by 2 more would be Kansas, Okie St, K-State or WVU who could be a sleeper fit with us getting more East Coast schools these last few years.
Colorado.

For lots of reasons.

Hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!
Compare the 15 schools in the ACC against the 14 schools in the B1G. I agree right now the B1G is stronger, but take Penn State and switch them in the other column and I don't think you can make that claim any more.

Ohio State - Notre Dame
Michigan - North Carolina
Wisconsin - Clemson
Northwestern - Duke
Penn State - Florida State
Illinois - North Carolina State
Iowa - Syracuse
Nebraska - Miami
Indiana - Virginia Tech
Maryland - Virginia
Purdue - Georgia Tech
Minnesota - Boston College
Michigan State - Pitt
Rutgers - Louisville
- Wake Forest

Most of this broke late yesterday. To be honest it makes me incredibly sad.

I'm 40 years old. I started at ISU when Mac went 9-3 and made the Insight bowl and ISU won the Big 12 in basketball and flamed out in the tourney against Hampton.

I drove 27 hours straight through a massive snowstorm with 5 other guys to go to Phoenix for the game. I drove to Boise for the Humanitarian bowl. I went to Shreveport. In fact I've only missed 1 bowl game in my life. I've been to a ton of Big 12 tournaments in KC, I went to the Maui Invitational a few years ago, several other holiday tournaments, etc.

Most of these experiences have been with my wife and now kids. It's been honestly an integral part of our relationship together and our primary hobby. It makes me sad to think there is a very real chance those things will not really be happening anymore. Even if ISU lands in the AAC or something, that's just going to cripple everything that ISU has been building to with Campbell. This is probably going to be the last chance for ISU to ever to do something special this season. I hope it happens.
Good Lord, an ISU fan who isn't wearing mustard and ketchup glasses, ( or whatever the colors are). A reasoned post. If this goes down, Campbell will have to start looking seriously at other options, or go down with the ship.....

Compare the 15 schools in the ACC against the 14 schools in the B1G. I agree right now the B1G is stronger, but take Penn State and switch them in the other column and I don't think you can make that claim any more.

Ohio State - Notre Dame
Wisconsin - Clemson
Northwestern - Duke
Iowa - Syracuse
Nebraska - Miami
Indiana - Virginia Tech
Maryland - Virginia
Purdue - Georgia Tech
Michigan State - Pitt
Rutgers - Louisville
- Wake Forest
Wisconsin would be #1 in the ACC in revenue. Iowa and MSU would be second, and within a whisper of first.

I don’t think I need to say anything else, but the ACC isn’t poaching anybody from the B1G.

Reactions: timinatoria
Good Lord, an ISU fan who isn't wearing mustard and ketchup glasses, ( or whatever the colors are). A reasoned post. If this goes down, Campbell will have to start looking seriously at other options, or go down with the ship.....
I laughed at the have only missed 1 bowl game. So been to three, maybe four games. LoL.

• Haha
Reactions: natchrlman
This appears to be going down. Totally a nightmare scenario for ISU. Not just football, this is all sports. I am curious how long it takes for their recruiting class to fall apart, which for them was probably their best start to a class ever. Kids aren't going to jump into a situation where its unknown if the school will remain in a P5 league. No way.
I doubt this will happen while these recruits are in school The big 12 GOR last until 2025 I think, and this won't happen overnight, IF it happens. Probably at least three years. Now if this is all worked out and Campbell bales after this year then all bets are off on recruits...

Well for starters I don't think that Nebraska is a AAU member. As far as being continguos to the current footprint then how did we add Maryland and Rutgers(New Jersey) last time???
1. They were when the were invited and then lost their status

2. Ummm…the state of Pennsylvania

Wisconsin would be #1 in the ACC in revenue. Iowa and MSU would be second, and within a whisper of first.

I don’t think I need to say anything else, but the ACC isn’t poaching anybody from the B1G.
Look, you’re probably right. I’m just looking down the road at a time when the ACC is on ESPN and the B1G is only on FOX and things could look differently. The B1G has been able to get ahead with the BTN but that is not the advantage it once was.

Iowa would be just as screwed as ISU is going to be, if OSU, Michigan and Penn State joined some super conference for a bigger pay day. It seems unlikely but if the blue bloods get tired of sharing the money I could see it.

I doubt this will happen while these recruits are in school The big 12 GOR last until 2025 I think, and this won't happen overnight, IF it happens. Probably at least three years. Now if this is all worked out and Campbell bales after this year then all bets are off on recruits...
I feel like if it keeps going, TX and OU will be out before 2025. I can’t imagine teams staying in for four years to a conference they’re leaving. The lawyers will find a way to settle it.

Might take a couple years after that for dominos to fall and dust to settle though.

I think a move East would be the more lucrative direction the B1G would go, likely raiding the ACC if they could. UVA, UNC and Georgia Tech I think would be contacted. Of course Notre Dame if they could be convinced the ACC was in trouble.

I could imagine KU and Mizzou but I'm not sure Mizzou wants to leave the SEC. Neither really add much more than additional mouths to feed. Outside of KU I don't see an attractive candidate from the current Big 12.

The PAC 12 could add KU and Baylor pretty quickly. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the PAC 12 and Nebraska had a conversation.

Unfortunately I don't really trust our commissioner to navigate this situation.
Oh, Good Lord, in all this talk I had completely about the fact Delany is gone! Heaven help us with our new commissioner running point on this.

Ohio State - Notre Dame
Wisconsin - Clemson
Northwestern - Duke
Iowa - Syracuse
Nebraska - Miami
Indiana - Virginia Tech
Maryland - Virginia
Purdue - Georgia Tech
Michigan State - Pitt
Rutgers - Louisville
- Wake Forest
There seems to be a good bit of dislike of the Big Ten among PSU fans.
But, that does no seem to hold among the academics and leadership.

You can speculate about a move by Texas and Oklahoma and what it might mean for ISU and the remainder of the teams in the Big 12, but there is uncertainty for at least 80 teams, and that include Big Ten Teams. No one can predict with any certainty what is ahead with the advent of name in likeness. Earlier a comment was made that college football maybe headed to a 30 team super conference, I believe that is where it will end up. The reality is there are only a few programs that can now afford to compete at the highest level. There will be a few that can't afford it, but will try and fail.

It is easy to identify which Big Ten Teams can afford to compete; OSU, Michigan, and Penn State. It also easy to identify teams that cannot afford it but will try, Nebraska being one. I'm not sure if any others would be dumb enough to try. Ultimately universities that want to compete at the highest levels will simply become sponsors of minor league NFL teams and teams members do not have to be a student in order to play. As part of the arrangement the university gets a cut of the gate and tv money. Player that get NIL money will not be able to use university trademarks without paying compensation to the university.

For those universities that are forced to change new organizations will arise. In the case of football some universities may want to return to limited substitution football. Some others may continue platoon football with fewer scholarships but require being a student with a minimum GPA and progress toward a degree in order to play.

There are going to be big losers. Women's sports is going to take a hard hit. Olympic sports is another. Fan interest will diminish and broadcasters will pay less when the audience decreases. Sports media organization like ESPN and Fox will face a challenge filling air time.

Would you attend or watch Iowa football and basketball if the university decides it mission does not include being a sponsor of a minor league football team?

• Haha
And the academic side is the shiny bait for a school like OU.

Okies, in their entire history, have been put down. Remember the Dust Bowl era? That feeling persists. An invite to the BIG would be huge for OU on a much higher level than sports.

Invite OU and KU to the BIG and settle this. Offer ND first, ahead of KU, and if they pass, well, good luck in the ACC.

This is much bigger than "sports".
The smart play is OU and Okie State. Then just put them in the West,move Purdue to the East.

West:
Illinois
Iowa
Minnesota
Nebraska
Northwestern
Oklahoma
Oklahoma Stats
Wisconsin

East:
Indiana
Maryland
Michigan
Michigan State
Ohio State
Penn State
Purdue
Rutgers

It may not be the Mighty Mississippi dividing the two, but at least you have the Wabash doing it...

Look, you’re probably right. I’m just looking down the road at a time when the ACC is on ESPN and the B1G is only on FOX and things could look differently. The B1G has been able to get ahead with the BTN but that is not the advantage it once was.

Iowa would be just as screwed as ISU is going to be, if OSU, Michigan and Penn State joined some super conference for a bigger pay day. It seems unlikely but if the blue bloods get tired of sharing the money I could see it.
The real money in the BIG is with the academic/research partnerships - not the athletic revenues. The BIG leads all conferences in research revenue by a wide margin. The Big 10 produces 10 billion in research revenue each year - that's 5 billion more than any other conference. No school is leaving the BIG for athletics reasons.

I don't like OU & UT going to the SEC or even the B1G for CFB overall.

BUT if I was the B1G I would be trying to get UT, OU, USC, UCLA, OR, UW and ND. Maybe one of Stanford & Cal or both. UT to the SEC still seems odd. I would also be willing to let UT bring along another regional partner of UT's choice if it needed to happen.

If the B1G is shut out of Texas its a real BAD long term strategy. They can pick up California but the sport has seemed to decline in that state. Also, they may try to head south but will always be the secondary brand in Georgia and Florida to the SEC.

• Haha
Reactions: timinatoria
The B1G is going to have to counter this as we watch college sports go down the toilet

It should be Vanderbilt and one of Miami/Sarycuse/UConn

I don't like OU & UT going to the SEC or even the B1G for CFB overall.

BUT if I was the B1G I would be trying to get UT, OU, USC, UCLA, OR, UW and ND. Maybe one of Stanford & Cal or both. UT to the SEC still seems odd. I would also be willing to let UT bring along another regional partner of UT's choice if it needed to happen.

If the B1G is shut out of Texas its a real BAD long term strategy. They can pick up California but the sport has seemed to decline in that state. Also, they may try to head south but will always be the secondary brand in Georgia and Florida to the SEC.
Texas A&M was a secondary brand in Texas - but that seemed to work out for the SEC. If the BIG expands to Tennessee, Georgia, Virginia, and maybe North Carolina by picking up a G-Tech, V-Tech, Vanderbilt, etc - it might not be a bad way to expand TV sets into those states. Because as of today - we're a complete afterthought there. The BIG already has 4 of the top 10 all-time winningest football programs. It doesn't necessarily need another blue blood to water down its brand. What it needs is geographic footprint expansion - especially to the growing areas of the US.

I said it on HROT but I suspect this is about more than the CFP. This feels like the SEC is preparing to break away from the NCAA and/or pay players with a salary and tell the NCAA to deal with it.

Because you’re right that the added competition wouldn’t make sense otherwise.
Uh, one reason that will never happen: Title IX.

No way $EC can pay ALL their athletes equally, hence why schools love NIL. It totally avoids Title IX.

The B1G is going to have to counter this as we watch college sports go down the toilet

It should be Vanderbilt and one of Miami/Sarycuse/UConn
I'm with you on the Vanderbilt idea (their baseball team would certainly hate it!) -- but my preference would be GTech over the other choices you put forward. Great school in a massive football recruiting hotbed. And the thing that may be key with those schools is they are second fiddle in their own states. And thus, like Texas A&M, they have an incentive to differentiate themselves.

The real key with the BIG is the academic money, though. Most schools will certainly consider a BIG offer seriously due to the massive amount of research money that flows through the conference.

Vanderbilt zero chance. UConn zero chance. Miami or Syracuse 0.1% chance.
I'm curious why you say no chance with Vanderbilt. It's academic mission certainly fits closer to the BIG than the SEC. And it's a major research university. Moving to the BIG would be a home run for their academics/research.

Once he sees it hitting recruiting he is gone.

I'm curious why you say no chance with Vanderbilt. It's academic mission certainly fits closer to the BIG than the SEC. And it's a major research university. Moving to the BIG would be a home run for their academics/research.

Vanderbilt is a R1 university that shares a lot of commonality with the B1G.

But they've been in the SEC for 89 years, and I don't see them throwing away their southern cultural fit just for the sake of moving and maybe a possibility at increased research dollars.

Way back when a Big Ten expansion was first on the horizon somebody on this board pitched the idea of adding the University of Toronto. We all had a chuckle, but the guy was serious. And frankly, he made a bunch of good points. Sure, their sports teams - such as they are - are totally inferior, at least for now. But, you'd add an AAU university (and the top research university in Canada), and you'd get a huge population base (Ontario is about 15 million--more than any BT state, and perhaps a good chunk of Canada).
In terms of expansion, a lot of options in the US would just be cutting the same pie into smaller pieces. U of T would introduce a much bigger pie.
It would take some time, but I bet they could eventually be competitive.
I know, a crazy idea. But it would be a game changer.

Texas A&M was a secondary brand in Texas - but that seemed to work out for the SEC. If the BIG expands to Tennessee, Georgia, Virginia, and maybe North Carolina by picking up a G-Tech, V-Tech, Vanderbilt, etc - it might not be a bad way to expand TV sets into those states. Because as of today - we're a complete afterthought there. The BIG already has 4 of the top 10 all-time winningest football programs. It doesn't necessarily need another blue blood to water down its brand. What it needs is geographic footprint expansion - especially to the growing areas of the US.
This was about tv money and in terms of viewers. A&M can't match the results of UT on the field throughout history(even though UT has under performed) but A&M is about even with UT in terms of fans in Texas. A&M support in Texas crushes FSU in Florida and even more so Ga. Tech in Georgia.

Way back when a Big Ten expansion was first on the horizon somebody on this board pitched the idea of adding the University of Toronto. We all had a chuckle, but the guy was serious. And frankly, he made a bunch of good points. Sure, their sports teams - such as they are - are totally inferior, at least for now. But, you'd add an AAU university (and the top research university in Canada), and you'd get a huge population base (Ontario is about 15 million--more than any BT state, and perhaps a good chunk of Canada).
In terms of expansion, a lot of options in the US would just be cutting the same pie into smaller pieces. U of T would introduce a much bigger pie.
It would take some time, but I bet they could eventually be competitive.
I know, a crazy idea. But it would be a game changer.
It won't happen, but it's interesting to talk about, especially now with NIL. Canadians would rally around the University of Toronto and would make sure recruits are paid. It's not the right fit for the B1G, but some forward thinking conference would be smart to do it.

Why do this in secret??? Had to know it would get out and looks way worse this way. Like they were gonna sneak in and say okay we are in the SEC now.

Most of this broke late yesterday. To be honest it makes me incredibly sad.

I'm 40 years old. I started at ISU when Mac went 9-3 and made the Insight bowl and ISU won the Big 12 in basketball and flamed out in the tourney against Hampton.

I drove 27 hours straight through a massive snowstorm with 5 other guys to go to Phoenix for the game. I drove to Boise for the Humanitarian bowl. I went to Shreveport. In fact I've only missed 1 bowl game in my life. I've been to a ton of Big 12 tournaments in KC, I went to the Maui Invitational a few years ago, several other holiday tournaments, etc.

Most of these experiences have been with my wife and now kids. It's been honestly an integral part of our relationship together and our primary hobby. It makes me sad to think there is a very real chance those things will not really be happening anymore. Even if ISU lands in the AAC or something, that's just going to cripple everything that ISU has been building to with Campbell. This is probably going to be the last chance for ISU to ever to do something special this season. I hope it happens.
I love your cyclown tears.

As to what will happen for ISU, I think people are completely jumping the gun on the Big 10 or PAC 12 adding teams. What is the incentive? People seem to be assuming that KU would go to the Big 10 as they are an AAU member and they have great basketball. But that is flat out the worst football program of the modern era. It's worse than ISU in the 80s and 90s. If the SEC adds UT and OU, and the Big 10's response is adding KU... well that math don't add up no matter how good basketball is.

Why would the PAC12 have to add midwestern teams especially without especially KU? TT is in Texas, but they are so remote to the other parts of Texas it's not like it's a big TV market or anything. The distance from Lubbock to Austin is basically the distance from Ames to Chicago. It's massive. The PAC isn't adding TCU or Baylor so forget about that. Are they going to be in a big rush to add OSU, KSU, and ISU? Probably not.

I know there are people that will love to piss on ISU's grave here, but a lot of people are going to lose their jobs not just in Ames. ISU is like most Big 12 teams as well, with debt up to their eyeballs to keep up with the facilities arms race - in the AAC they won't be able to pay those debt obligations. I mean that just seems like a fact.
Good...hopefully isu goes bankrupt.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT