ADVERTISEMENT

Texas governor doing 'exactly right thing' amid constitutional battle over border enforcement: legal experts

NorthernHawkeye

HR Legend
Dec 23, 2007
"The Supreme Court’s two-sentence order simply vacated the injunction preventing the federal government from tearing down the barbed wire fencing Texas has placed on state property while the case is on appeal," Hans von Spakovsky, senior legal fellow at the Edwin Meese III Center for Legal and Judicial Studies told Fox News Digital.

"The Supreme Court’s order does not prevent Texas from continuing to place barbed wire or other barriers along the border on state or private property. But while the case is pending, there is nothing preventing the federal government from tearing down the wire fencing," he said.

Last edited:
"The Supreme Court’s two-sentence order simply vacated the injunction preventing the federal government from tearing down the barbed wire fencing Texas has placed on state property while the case is on appeal," Hans von Spakovsky, senior legal fellow at the Edwin Meese III Center for Legal and Judicial Studies told Fox News Digital.

"The Supreme Court’s order does not prevent Texas from continuing to place barbed wire or other barriers along the border on state or private property. But while the case is pending, there is nothing preventing the federal government from tearing down the wire fencing," he said.

I’m thinking the Edwin Meese III Center for Legal and Judicial Studies is a temple of worship for most MAGAts....and when Von Spakovsky speaks, jurists from around the world, listen...

Reactions: SocraticIshmael
The Edwin Meese Center for Legal and Judicial Studies might be the funniest thing I’ve heard this week. Do they teach his multiple ethical lapses? Iran-Contra? Bechtel?

Apparently it’s a step above the John Mitchell Center for Ethics.

It's safe to assume Abbott is taking legal advice from "legal experts," so finding someone to say he's doing the right thing shouldn't be too hard.

It's also safe to assume you can find a "legal expert" to argue the other side.

John Edwards was AG of the United States?

And as so eloquently put by @auntie_fah shouldn’t you be admonishing OP for talking politics in a state he doesn’t reside in?
First of all the use of John Mitchell’s name in yet another attack on Republicans opened up the opportunity to respond in kind by using former NC Senator and Dem Presidential candidate Edwards - and gee I must have hit the mark…
Our national border is of concern to ALL of us, or can you grasp that?
You live in Missouri, right? Yet you’re on an Iowa board…🤔

First of all the use of John Mitchell’s name in yet another attack on Republicans opened up the opportunity to respond in kind by using former NC Senator and Dem Presidential candidate Edwards - and gee I must have hit the mark…
Our national border is of concern to ALL of us, or can you grasp that?
You live in Missouri, right? Yet you’re on an Iowa board…🤔

Um, I was born in Iowa City. I graduated from Iowa. I split season tickets and donate to Swarm.

Your connection to Iowa is …?

I mean other than act as the board hypocrite that chastises others for language and topic selection when you do the same thing.

Reactions: lucas80
so @goldmom is fine with OP, who lives in Iowa, starting a political thread about a state he doesnt live in.

I havent seen any of her patented snarky comments directed his way

Reactions: nelly02
It's safe to assume Abbott is taking legal advice from "legal experts," so finding someone to say he's doing the right thing shouldn't be too hard.

It's also safe to assume you can find a "legal expert" to argue the other side.
FFS and LOL. The Supreme Ct has ruled, there's such a thing as the Supremacy Clause as well. This is Civil War type bullshit. He doesn't have any legal standing at all here.

so @goldmom is fine with OP, who lives in Iowa, starting a political thread about a state he doesnt live in.

I havent seen any of her patented snarky comments directed his way
Ken Jeong GIF by The Masked Singer

FFS and LOL. The Supreme Ct has ruled, there's such a thing as the Supremacy Clause as well. This is Civil War type bullshit. He doesn't have any legal standing at all here.
You know that if this was Newsom in California defying the Supreme Court on some ruling the right would be SCREECHING non stop about it. Weird that they just let it go when it's their side... totally the party of law and order.

He apparently does though. SCOTUS basically said, yeah it's Texas, but it's also the US, so you idiots can do whatever you want, get along!

I.e. feds, you have a right to cut through fencing to do what you need to do, and Texas, you can protect your state too.

It's the equivalent of a parent listening to their children bicker over stupid stuff that shouldn't matter and telling them to figure it out and get along!

Lifelong Democrat and presidential hopeful Kennedy has sided with Abbott on this topic and blames joe biden for the issues at the southern border. Kennedy is 100% correct.

If Trump retakes the White House does blame for all border issues fall to him? During his last term was he responsible for any and all crossings, legal or not?

This can has been kicked down the road for so long by administrations on both sides of the fence and no one has answers.

If Trump retakes the White House does blame for all border issues fall to him? During his last term was he responsible for any and all crossings, legal or not?

This can has been kicked down the road for so long by administrations on both sides of the fence and no one has answers.
The status quo of past administration is the status quo to be sure, but any major improvements or failures in even maintaining that fall 100% on the current administration. Biden is the first president to oversee the crossings we have today that has allowed millions of illegals into this country and his policy is directly encouraging it. If Trump had the same level of failure as Biden does now then I'd absolutely call him a useless idiot too.

He apparently does though. SCOTUS basically said, yeah it's Texas, but it's also the US, so you idiots can do whatever you want, get along!

I.e. feds, you have a right to cut through fencing to do what you need to do, and Texas, you can protect your state too.

It's the equivalent of a parent listening to their children bicker over stupid stuff that shouldn't matter and telling them to figure it out and get along!
Wut?

You really really really need to start consulting better news sources. No, this matter/issue is absolutely positively nothing like you just described. The Federal Government has clear cut authority here, Texas would be engaging in unconstitutional nullification if they continue to obstruct/defy federal authority here.

Um, I was born in Iowa City. I graduated from Iowa. I split season tickets and donate to Swarm.

Your connection to Iowa is …?

I mean other than act as the board hypocrite that chastises others for language and topic selection when you do the same thing.
Board hypocrite?
I considered it but the wait list on here is way too long.
I took issue with an OP for frequently starting threads about Florida when he lives in Atlanta, which used to be a cool place but has over the years become a hellhole.
Some lefty 💩bag decided to take issue with me over it and the rest of you who hate having your libbie circle jerk interrupted have jumped on it. Too effing bad.

The increase in illegal crossings can be directly tied to Biden telling them to surge the border when he gets elected, then reversing all of the things Trump was doing to keep the numbers down. The timeline of events is pretty obvious to anyone wanting to take a look. It also timed up exactly with the day the left stopped caring about, "separating families, kids in cages and concentration camp conditions".

Board hypocrite?
I took issue with an OP for frequently starting threads about Florida when he lives in Atlanta, which used to be a cool place but has over the years become a hellhole.
Some lefty 💩bag decided to take issue with me over it and the rest of you who hate having your libbie circle jerk interrupted have jumped on it. Too effing bad.

We get it. Do as you say not as you do.

Wut?

You really really really need to start consulting better news sources. No, this matter/issue is absolutely positively nothing like you just described. The Federal Government has clear cut authority here, Texas would be engaging in unconstitutional nullification if they continue to obstruct/defy federal authority here.
They said they couldn't obstruct, but they also didn't say they couldn't place razor wire. It's just 2 cats chasing each others tails at this point

Wut?

He’s not wrong. The Supreme Court didn’t say what Texas can and cannot do, it merely vacated an order from a lower court that said the Feds couldn’t cut through the wire.

He’s not wrong. The Supreme Court didn’t say what Texas can and cannot do, it merely vacated an order from a lower court that said the Feds couldn’t cut through the wire.
That’s not a tenable position to keep long-term by the SC. Texas is trying to assert authority over federal agents regarding the US border. This is not an issue that can stay in purgatory forever.

this ought to be fairly simple - Texas does not have this power, imo it very clearly violates the supremacy clause; the responsibility for the enforcement of the national border with Texas cannot be superceded by the Texas border.

Board hypocrite?
So in orher words, Florida State Goldie comes to an Iowa message board and bitches about people commenting about politics in a state they dont live in if she doesnt agree with that posters politics.

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
So in orher words, Florida State Goldie comes to an Iowa message board and bitches about people commenting about politics in a state they dont live in if she doesnt agree with that posters politics.
Not quite, honey.
NoleATL is A FELLOW NOLE.
You know one might reasonably inquire why HE is on an Iowa a forum starting a thread about something in Florida that doesn’t affect him, while living in Georgia.
He starts threads about things in FL fairly often. Maybe I should start threads about things going on in Georgia?
I have never started a thread making fun of or being critical of another state’s policies. I have commented from time to time in an existing thread but I’ve not initiated one.
Now, wanna try again?

Not quite, honey.
NoleATL is A FELLOW NOLE.
You know one might reasonably inquire why HE is on an Iowa a forum starting a thread about something in Florida that doesn’t affect him, while living in Georgia.
He starts threads about things in FL fairly often. Maybe I should start threads about things going on in Georgia?
I have never started a thread making fun of or being critical of another state’s policies. I have commented from time to time in an existing thread but I’ve not initiated one.
Now, wanna try again?
The irony of a Nole on an Iowa board getting uppity about people posting about a state they dont live in is completely lost on you.

I have yet to see you call out Northern for starting a thread about Texas when he does not reside in Texas .

also, you seem to be under the assumption that anybody would give a damn if you created a thread about Georgia.

It is a non-sequitur to think Texas has more rights over the border than the federal government. If they want to play that game than all federal funds can be removed from the state. Idiocy
I asked yesterday if the agreement between the Republic of Texas and the US contained any verbiage that might lead the State to claim that they have retained certain rights that were unique in that regard. No one’s commented on that.
There are some rights Texas has that no other states have. They were a country before they agreed to join the USA and it was done by an agreement/treaty. For example they have the ability to split up into as many as five states.
I’m not making an attempt to defend them here, I’m just asking.

The irony of a Nole on an Iowa board getting uppity about people posting about a state they dont live in is completely lost on you.

I have yet to see you call out Northern for starting a thread about Texas when he does not reside in Texas .

also, you seem to be under the assumption that anybody would give a damn if you created a thread about Georgia.
I don’t know where Northern even lives so how could I call him out?
So it’s irony if I point out that a non-resident starts a thread about a state not named Iowa, but he’s also a non-Iowan on an Iowa board.
Interesting last shot. Does anyone on here who starts a thread about anything usually stop and wonder who would give a damn about a thread they start?
Take the L and move on. You just want to attack - and the subject doesn’t matter.

. Does anyone on here who starts a thread about anything usually stop and wonder who would give a damn about a thread they start?
Apparently you do since you seem hung up on not starting a thread about Georgia.

let people post and comment on what they want. If you have a problem with the post, go after them for the content of their post and not where they live.

Quit being a fvcking hall monitor.

Apparently you do since you seem hung up on not starting a thread about Georgia.

let people post and comment on what they want. If you have a problem with the post, go after them for the content of their post and not where they live.

Quit being a fvcking hall monitor.
Is there a reason you don’t see that I am questioning the content of his threads because all they contain are things he must think are just wrong, ridiculous, silly, etc.
Maybe he’s doing it for the likes? BTW I like him a lot more than I like you.
Speaking of hall monitors, there you go again. Attacking me. Who’s really the mother fvcking hall monitor?
Put me on ignore and we’ll both be glad you did.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT