ADVERTISEMENT

Texas receiver has ties to Iowa

Apr 8, 2003
Blair Sanderson | Editor

ebo776avvhndgk66tvo0

Texas wide receiver Gavin Holmes added an offer from Iowa today.

The Iowa Hawkeyes are the latest team to offer Texas wide receiver Gavin Holmes. The 5-foot-11, 180-pound Holmes received the news on Wednesday morning after Iowa receivers coach Bobby Kennedy stopped by Northwest High School in Justin, TX earlier this week.

"Coach Kennedy had me call him and he offered," said Holmes. "It was a great feeling."

The offer from Iowa is No. 25 overall for Holmes, as the Hawkeyes join a list that includes Wisconsin, Utah, BYU, Kansas, Duke, San Diego State, Tulane, Wyoming, Colorado State, and Fresno State, among others.

For the three-star prospect in the Class of 2017, the new opportunity at Iowa is one that stands however as he family ties to the state.

"I know a lot about Iowa," Holmes said. "I visited last fall and I have tons of family in Iowa. My grandparents are huge Hawkeye fans."

Holmes himself was actually born in Des Moines and regularly gets back to Iowa to visit his grandparents in Newton. That included a trip this past November when they all attended Iowa's game against Purdue at Kinnick Stadium.

"The coaching staff was great and the environment was crazy even in the 10 degree weather," said Holmes.

Along with the family connection to Iowa, Holmes is also familiar with some of the Hawkeyes' other recruits in the Dallas area, including Eno Benjamin, a four-star running back from Wylie East High School.

"I've been talking to their running back commit, Eno Benjamin, about the school," Holmes said. "He has nothing but great things to say."

As a junior, Holmes finished with 61 catches for 828 yards and eight touchdowns for Justin Northwest this past season.

At The Opening regional event in Dallas in March, he turned in a 4.43 forty time and 34" vertical.

See highlights from Holmes' junior year in the video below.

Reactions: hawkeye_fan321
Interesting that no one was talking about Gavin. He's a three star who visited last year for the Purdue game. Has a pretty extensive offer list. Hawks are really aggressive when it comes to the WR and DB positions right now.

Interesting that no one was talking about Gavin. He's a three star who visited last year for the Purdue game. Has a pretty extensive offer list. Hawks are really aggressive when it comes to the WR and DB positions right now.
I would love to see Gavin join the Hawkeye family. He would fit right in. I also like the fact he is talking to Eno about the program. Always a good sign when a committed player is saying good things about us.

Sounds like a solid chance to land him. Is Iowa the new Texas?

Blair Sanderson | Editor

ebo776avvhndgk66tvo0

Texas wide receiver Gavin Holmes added an offer from Iowa today.

The Iowa Hawkeyes are the latest team to offer Texas wide receiver Gavin Holmes. The 5-foot-11, 180-pound Holmes received the news on Wednesday morning after Iowa receivers coach Bobby Kennedy stopped by Northwest High School in Justin, TX earlier this week.

"Coach Kennedy had me call him and he offered," said Holmes. "It was a great feeling."

The offer from Iowa is No. 25 overall for Holmes, as the Hawkeyes join a list that includes Wisconsin, Utah, BYU, Kansas, Duke, San Diego State, Tulane, Wyoming, Colorado State, and Fresno State, among others.

For the three-star prospect in the Class of 2017, the new opportunity at Iowa is one that stands however as he family ties to the state.

"I know a lot about Iowa," Holmes said. "I visited last fall and I have tons of family in Iowa. My grandparents are huge Hawkeye fans."

Holmes himself was actually born in Des Moines and regularly gets back to Iowa to visit his grandparents in Newton. That included a trip this past November when they all attended Iowa's game against Purdue at Kinnick Stadium.

"The coaching staff was great and the environment was crazy even in the 10 degree weather," said Holmes.

Along with the family connection to Iowa, Holmes is also familiar with some of the Hawkeyes' other recruits in the Dallas area, including Eno Benjamin, a four-star running back from Wylie East High School.

"I've been talking to their running back commit, Eno Benjamin, about the school," Holmes said. "He has nothing but great things to say."

As a junior, Holmes finished with 61 catches for 828 yards and eight touchdowns for Justin Northwest this past season.

At The Opening regional event in Dallas in March, he turned in a 4.43 forty time and 34" vertical.

See highlights from Holmes' junior year in the video below.

Reactions: Tunadog
Gavin Holmes has ties to Newton? I was wondering if he is related to Trye Jackson former Hawk from Newton who played a couple of years under Hayden before moving on to Wyoming.

Hope they can get this kid on board. He definitely has legit speed not just looking at his 40 but watching the film you can tell.

Did I see 5'11" somewhere? If so, 5'11" seems a little ... generous. But if he is that fast, we'll take him! Catches the ball and then makes plays with his feet. Don't care if he is 5'8". Bob Sanders and Canzeri were both 5'8".

Gavin Holmes has ties to Newton? I was wondering if he is related to Trye Jackson former Hawk from Newton who played a couple of years under Hayden before moving on to Wyoming.
Maybe I missed something, but is there any reason to believe he is related to Jackson other than Holmes is related to people that live in Jackson's home town?

pretty sure there is no connection between his grand parents and the jacksons

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT