ADVERTISEMENT

Thank you, Cesspool

GG121AND2

HR All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Some of you may remember that when longtime poster, Jack McNerney, passed away, several of you came together and funded Wrestling for Life's Jack McNerney Memorial Wrestling Camp Scholarship to any Hawkeye wrestling camp. Yesterday we awarded the third edition to Juliana Burds of Central City, Iowa. She is a straight A 7th grader who had a 21-3 middle school record this season. The scholarship is partially funded through next year, but we will continue to award it annually.

Thank you for all of the support you have given Wrestling for Life.

Jim Brown

Founder/Board President

Some of you may remember that when longtime poster, Jack McNerney, passed away, several of you came together and funded Wrestling for Life's Jack McNerney Memorial Wrestling Camp Scholarship to any Hawkeye wrestling camp. Yesterday we awarded the third edition to Juliana Burds of Central City, Iowa. She is a straight A 7th grader who had a 21-3 middle school record this season. The scholarship is partially funded through next year, but we will continue to award it annually.

Thank you for all of the support you have given Wrestling for Life.

Jim Brown

Founder/Board President
Awesome. Let us know should this need to be re-funded. We may be the cesspool but we know how to stand up for a good cause.

This is the kinda thread we need to be investing our energy on. These last few days have been exhausting.

Thanks @GG121AND2 and continued health to you and yours.

Thanks for asking. Go to wrestlingforlife.org and put "McNerney" in the PayPal notes section.

Donated. Not much, but maybe we will get a few more posters to add to it.

cause-success-desktop.svg

Thanks for donating $50.00 USD to
Wrestling for Life
Share and inspire others to make an impact

Smalls won’t be posting in this thread…

Good job!
And he sure as all Hell wont be donating to the fund. He said his Mom increased the mortgage charges to live in her basement and it isn't cheap joining all those online rooms... Dungeons and Dragons... FarmersMIngle.... Weightwatchers....UncleKarl'sCabanaboys............ IH8Iowa.............TubesoxRock......... these places aren't cheap and being an Online Badass is an exhausting job for Smalls

Reactions: artradley
And he sure as all Hell wont be donating to the fund. He said his Mom increased the mortgage charges to live in her basement and it isn't cheap joining all those online rooms... Dungeons and Dragons... FarmersMIngle.... Weightwatchers....UncleKarl'sCabanaboys............ IH8Iowa.............TubesoxRock......... these places aren't cheap and being an Online Badass is an exhausting job for Smalls
Hey now, no need to talk down on Dungeons & Dragons. My best buds and I play every couple of weeks online/ video chat. We live in different cities so it's about the only way we can actually "hang out".

Tbh - I'd rather do this every weekend than go to the bar and spend way too much to only wake up with a soul crushing hangover.

Also, the Dungeons and Dragons movie comes out on bluray at the end of the month. I highly recommend, it's a good time.

Hey now, no need to talk down on Dungeons & Dragons. My best buds and I play every couple of weeks online/ video chat. We live in different cities so it's about the only way we can actually "hang out".

Tbh - I'd rather do this every weekend than go to the bar and spend way too much to only wake up with a soul crushing hangover.

Also, the Dungeons and Dragons movie comes out on bluray at the end of the month. I highly recommend, it's a good time.
Liked for being vulnerable.

I think I played D&D twice when I was in HS. I imagine the right on-line infrastructure with VR headsets could be a bit more enjoyable than being in a co-workers parent's basement in the late 70s.

Liked for being vulnerable.

I think I played D&D twice when I was in HS. I imagine the right on-line infrastructure with VR headsets could be a bit more enjoyable than being in a co-workers parent's basement in the late 70s.
Haha we don't play play using VR. We use a tabletop simulator called Foundry then use an app called Discord to video chat (it's similar to Skype/ Zoom).

But Foundry just opens up in your web browser and you're off to the races. Pretty darn easy.

I've always wanted to play D&D, seems like fun and right up my alley. But my friends and I growing up would always have Warcraft 3 LAN parties like the cool kids we were. Or play Yu-Gi-Oh cards. 🤓😄

I've always wanted to play D&D, seems like fun and right up my alley. But my friends and I growing up would always have Warcraft 3 LAN parties like the cool kids we were. Or play Yu-Gi-Oh cards. 🤓😄
I highly recommend it! Purchase the player handbook and watch some YouTube videos.
Can be complex, but it's a helluva lot of fun, especially with some homebrew rules.

We used to play a lot of Yu-Gi-Oh too, but my college roommate stole my cards. Needless to say, we have spoken in almost 15 years. Asshole.

Reactions: LaxHawk174
telling the age gap that exists here... We played the Mattel hand held football games on the way to and from wrestling matches when i was in school and occasionally played way too much ATARI .... We actually played a game in real life called..... DODGE BALL but that has been deemed offensive and dangerous so its outlawed in many states.... bunch of sissys...nothing will ever duplicate the sound of a red rubber kickball being bounced off you or your buddy's head at about 70MPH. Those cranium shots may or may not account for some of our questionable decisions later in life

telling the age gap that exists here... We played the Mattel hand held football games on the way to and from wrestling matches when i was in school and occasionally played way too much ATARI .... We actually played a game in real life called..... DODGE BALL but that has been deemed offensive and dangerous so its outlawed in many states.... bunch of sissys...nothing will ever duplicate the sound of a red rubber kickball being bounced off you or your buddy's head at about 70MPH. Those cranium shots may or may not account for some of our questionable decisions later in life
I loved dodgeball in school, and I didn't even go to Happy Valley! Nintendo (the orginal) was replacing the Atari when I became a somebody and got one at around 10 years old. I still remember that Christmas morning.

Mattel hand held football games on the way to and from wrestling matches when i was in school and occasionally played way too much ATARI .... We actually played a game in real life called..... DODGE BALL
First versions of Pong/Breakout, Coleco handheld football, Mattel handheld racing, and yes Dodge ball.

The mid 70s were simpler times with Vietnam having ended and years of peace through the adulting period without any social media. Going on half a century ago now. Have to live in the present. Still, I feel very lucky to have been born when, where, and how I was.

Reactions: PD4thespawn
I'm really old. I was an adult when most of the games/toys mentioned here came out, except for the last one. My best friend that lives in Texas needed his room at his parent's house cleaned out recently and I found his old vibrating footbal game, complete with extra teams he had purchased. Found a lot of '60s and early '70s memorabilia. He doesn't want them all shipped to Texas, I guess I'll have to call American Pickers and see what I can get for them all. I had some of the same, but think they all went the way of the Yard Sale except most of my G.I.Joe stuff and Hot Wheels and Lincoln Logs. I had the original Atari Pong when I was 19.
We had a kid, who if he hit you in Dodgeball (we called it Smash at the time), you would have a red welt for hours after.

Last edited:
i recently found the old Stretch Armstrong i got as a kid and when i pulled on the arms they crackled like your jock strap did when you let the university athletic services wash and dry your wrestling gear in those mesh bags... ruined all elastic items as they cranked the heat up to about 1000 Degrees for 3 hours before putting them back in your team lockers. The old Model cars and trucks are still packed away and yes BLCoach80 we must have been around the same decade

i recently found the old Stretch Armstrong i got as a kid and when i pulled on the arms they crackled like your jock strap did when you let the university athletic services wash and dry your wrestling gear in those mesh bags... ruined all elastic items as they cranked the heat up to about 1000 Degrees for 3 hours before putting them back in your team lockers. The old Model cars and trucks are still packed away and yes BLCoach80 we must have been around the same decade
The 80 in my screen name is my birth year for those with calculators! While I seem to have a lot more aches and pains anymore, I still feel young at heart.

The 80 in my screen name is my birth year for those with calculators! While I seem to have a lot more aches and pains anymore, I still feel young at heart.
Not too far behind you, 40 is starting to loom on the horizon for me. I don't mind the number, just that I swear I was 25 a few years ago. Every year goes quicker it seems. Is that a circling the drain effect?

• Haha
Reactions: blcoach80
I'm on the wrong side of 30, but I still game a few times a week. It's how I unwind and will likely continue to do it for many more years to come.

I remember playing my grandpa's Atari back in the late 80s. I inherited it when he passed in 02, but by then it stopped working. It's still sitting in a closet at my folk's house back in Iowa.

I'm pretty techy and always wanted to try to repair it. I'll have to ask them to bring it (along with my Gameboy) next time they come south to visit.

I turn 65 Wednesday. I think of myself as a thirty or forty-year-old, but my body keeps telling me the end is near. Most days I feel like I'm eighty. I'd list all my ailments and surgeries, but this post would be longer than the one I did on that other thread today. Getting old sucks!
If you meant today, happy birthday TNT! Here's to a year of good health and Hawkeye victories.

I'm on the wrong side of 30, but I still game a few times a week. It's how I unwind and will likely continue to do it for many more years to come.

I remember playing my grandpa's Atari back in the late 80s. I inherited it when he passed in 02, but by then it stopped working. It's still sitting in a closet at my folk's house back in Iowa.

I'm pretty techy and always wanted to try to repair it. I'll have to ask them to bring it (along with my Gameboy) next time they come south to visit.
Get out and enjoy the birds too...... nice way to unwind....just my .02.....

Get out and enjoy the birds too...... nice way to unwind....just my .02.....
I do daily walks with the pup. When I hop into a game it's after the wife goes to bed and if I don't do that I usually read.

I'm very active, but when 9pm rolls around that's me time.

And speaking of birds, I haven't seen any hummingbirds yet. Filled their feeders recently.

As someone who was born in the late 1960s I have learned a few things in life.... 1. Getting old is a real Bitch....But it beats the alternative to not getting old.... and 2, the gold in The Golden years only means that your urine is a deeper color of yellow ( not True Gold) and that same urine takes even longer to leave the body even though you go twice as often. Through all of the aches and pains the BEST part is watching my children be successful in life and the opportunity to spoil the grandkids and watch them grow up and hopefully enjoy Wrestling , the Sport that has been so rewarding for me. Hopefully this year we have lots to cheer about , as the last week or two has been a real kick in the junkpile.

. Through all of the aches and pains the BEST part is watching my children be successful in life and the opportunity to spoil the grandkids and watch them grow up and hopefully enjoy Wrestling , the Sport that has been so rewarding for me. Hopefully this year we have lots to cheer about , as the last week or two has been a real kick in the junkpile.
And this is why WFL is such a good thing. Spread the joy and lessons the sport can bring.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT