ADVERTISEMENT

Thanks DeSantis and all you piece of shit MAGAs

YNevP9x.gif

My insurance company sent a non-renewal notice due to wanting to reduce their hurricane loss exposure or something to that effect. You know... because Tallahassee takes so many hits from hurricanes. Thankfully I found another provider that will provide coverage.

$9k for hurricane insurance in addition to homeowners insurance? And I hear car insurance is hard to get as well in Florida.

Yikes.

My insurance company sent a non-renewal notice due to wanting to reduce their hurricane loss exposure or something to that effect. You know... because Tallahassee takes so many hits from hurricanes. Thankfully I found another provider that will provide coverage.
$ or $$ or $$$ or $$$$?

Can I get with you...... conversations aren't working for some reason

Feel free to go back to any one of the litany of threads where I told you all this would happen.

You are subsidizing California, amongst other things. If you want to find the carrier that has taken the least amount of rate over the last 2 years, find the ones with the least amount of exposure to California. The Department of insurance/ commissioner foe California said that no carrier could take rate in the state of California. Because, and I quote, "no one could afford to live here". If California had to run a 100% combined ratio (took in one dollar of premium for each dollar out for claims) no one would live there. They pay out like 2 dollars for each dollar in and then bank on states like "iowa" paying out 50c for each dollar in. So if you are a carrier, and wanted to keep access to the 19th largest economy in the world, you had to place your rate around the rest of the states. Those wildfires in California last year, north of LA, put more rate on the books foe Iowa than the back to back cat's we had with the derecho.

Last edited:
Reactions: abby97
10%+ of Florida should be uninsurable. When they happens, people on the water will either build correctly or take a total loss if they get hit.

That’s the only way to make this work.

Reactions: Red Hills Nole
10%+ of Florida should be uninsurable. When they happens, people on the water will either build correctly or take a total loss if they get hit.

That’s the only way to make this work.
Now think of California, and shit my previous company wouldn't even touch Louisiana. When was the last time Florida had a wildfire? Mudslide?

Now think of California, and shit my previous company wouldn't even touch Louisiana. When was the last time Florida had a wildfire? Mudslide?
California’s regulatory agency won’t approve rate or condition changes to existing policies. There’s is a regulatory failure.

Florida like Louisiana has a market failure. Providing insurance to people who live in Lake Charles or on the Intracoastal is madness.

But there's no income tax in Florida. :rolleyes:

National insurers may be reluctant to compete for business in Florida because of the risks from hurricanes and tropical storms, said Matthew Carletti, an insurance industry analyst for JMP Securities.

“When was the last time you had a $30 billion to $40 billion loss in Illinois?” he said. “Never.”

Climate change and increased vulnerability to storms are only part of the issue. The insurance industry also blames Florida’s “tort” laws, which it says encourages far more lawsuits against insurers than in other states, for driving up costs.

“There were 116,000 property claim lawsuits in 2021. We’re on pace for 130,000 this year, even before Ian,” said Mark Friedlander, spokesperson for the III, who is based in Florida. “In other states you might see only a few hundred. California, which is much larger, had 3,500 last year.”

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/hurricane-ian-florida-updates-09-29-22/index.html
The trade group for Florida’s trial lawyers says the problem is not the number of lawsuits but a lack of proper regulation. Rates have continued to rise even as the Florida legislature passed new restrictions on lawsuits, and they claim that the state is letting the industry call the shots on rates and the amount of coverage offered.

“Florida’s Insurance Commissioner, David Altameir, has given them handouts in the form of rate increases and changes that slice coverage to the bare minimum for policyholders in the interest of preserving the insurance industry’s profits,” said Amy Boggs, head of the property insurance division of the Florida trial lawyer’s association. “With Hurricane Ian barreling down on Floridians, policyholders have a weaker and harder-to-use insurance product. This storm will expose the true effect of diminishing insurance products in Florida.”

Reactions: Red Hills Nole
But there's no income tax in Florida. :rolleyes:

National insurers may be reluctant to compete for business in Florida because of the risks from hurricanes and tropical storms, said Matthew Carletti, an insurance industry analyst for JMP Securities.

“When was the last time you had a $30 billion to $40 billion loss in Illinois?” he said. “Never.”

Climate change and increased vulnerability to storms are only part of the issue. The insurance industry also blames Florida’s “tort” laws, which it says encourages far more lawsuits against insurers than in other states, for driving up costs.

“There were 116,000 property claim lawsuits in 2021. We’re on pace for 130,000 this year, even before Ian,” said Mark Friedlander, spokesperson for the III, who is based in Florida. “In other states you might see only a few hundred. California, which is much larger, had 3,500 last year.”

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/hurricane-ian-florida-updates-09-29-22/index.html
The trade group for Florida’s trial lawyers says the problem is not the number of lawsuits but a lack of proper regulation. Rates have continued to rise even as the Florida legislature passed new restrictions on lawsuits, and they claim that the state is letting the industry call the shots on rates and the amount of coverage offered.

“Florida’s Insurance Commissioner, David Altameir, has given them handouts in the form of rate increases and changes that slice coverage to the bare minimum for policyholders in the interest of preserving the insurance industry’s profits,” said Amy Boggs, head of the property insurance division of the Florida trial lawyer’s association. “With Hurricane Ian barreling down on Floridians, policyholders have a weaker and harder-to-use insurance product. This storm will expose the true effect of diminishing insurance products in Florida.”

And he signed this into law in Dec where you cant sue the industry that was supposed to help this

DeSantis signs three measures passed in Florida's special lawmaking session this week

Reactions: RileyHawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT