ADVERTISEMENT

That game took the AIR out of me

JerseyCityHawki

HB Heisman
Oct 28, 2019
Hackensack, New Jersey
It’s hard as hell and was one long drive back home in which seemed to be bickering on how bad they let this one slip away. Iowa can still have a good season however the obvious is the obvious they need to let Sullivan or Marco get some shots otherwise they’re going to ride Cade all season long all because of KF…. You have to go with the hot hand like Kaleb at RB… now it’s time to look to the future and start one of those guys. I am as pissed off as any Hawkeye fan but if Iowa can win a few more games up to the OSU game things might simmer a tad but this one was a hard one to swallow - I mean I didn’t think the ISU kicker would even have a chance to boot that 54 yard FG… imagine how Pittsburgh felt after Marshall booted that 57 yard FG… last year was winning all close games I hope this year isn’t losing all close games because of mental breakdowns and poor coaching because it was poor coaching and poor execution… I have faith Iowa will bounce back. As for ISU? They blew their wad already- let’s see how they finish the year.

It’s hard as hell and was one long drive back home in which seemed to be bickering on how bad they let this one slip away. Iowa can still have a good season however the obvious is the obvious they need to let Sullivan or Marco get some shots otherwise they’re going to ride Cade all season long all because of KF…. You have to go with the hot hand like Kaleb at RB… now it’s time to look to the future and start one of those guys. I am as pissed off as any Hawkeye fan but if Iowa can win a few more games up to the OSU game things might simmer a tad but this one was a hard one to swallow - I mean I didn’t think the ISU kicker would even have a chance to boot that 54 yard FG… imagine how Pittsburgh felt after Marshall booted that 57 yard FG… last year was winning all close games I hope this year isn’t losing all close games because of mental breakdowns and poor coaching because it was poor coaching and poor execution… I have faith Iowa will bounce back. As for ISU? They blew their wad already- let’s see how they finish the year.
Agree with much of this, except ISU. They are likely going to have a better season than Iowa and could even be in the playoff hunt. The Big 12 is WEAK.

I have faith Iowa will bounce back. As for ISU? They blew their wad already- let’s see how they finish the year.
I love this. Iowa State just came into kinnick without several would-be contributors and beat us - a team with Seniors up and down the roster. And no injuries.

THEY blew THEIR wad? No - We just blew ours.

I hope you realize that Kirk usually gives away at least one game a year, maybe two, by being conservative and some questionable calls and decisions. Kirk could have a whole bunch more wins I think with more killer instinct and daring do.

If the hawks win all of them except OSU and finish 10-2 then the only hope to get into the CF Playoffs is to win the league or hope ISU has a great record. If ISU finishes 8-4 then this loss looks bad although it was early in the season.

Moulton seems to be an ankle trip away from breaking some big runs. I like Kaleb getting 20+ carries and the others the rest.

Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
Any of 95% of coaches at all levels - other than KF - and this game was absolutely effectively over at halftime. Would've just played the 2nd half for courtesy's sake.

Instead, KF kept ISU in the game all day long and he got to hang another L in his column of this 'rivalry game' when it was over.

Other than 2002 and parts of other earlier seasons, its been 20+ years of offensive ineptitude that tells us all who is really behind the problems there, the base root of them.

I wish KF would stop being so ****ing stubborn and realize that there doesn't have to be a trade-off.

It is possible to have both a good defense AND an offense that isn't entrenched & cemented in the basement of the national stats; more than that, its preferred to have an offense that would actually complement the D!

argh-omg.gif

It took the air out of the whole season moving forward. I agree that Iowa State is probably a 6-6 team when you look at them on paper, but the Big 12 sets up for a 10+ win year for them. It's Big Ten West bad.
ISU won't win 10 games. Even in that conference. Nope, not going to happen. Beating Iowa, who handicapped themselves, like usual, doesn't change what they'll do. They're a decent team, no doubt, but they have a max of 9 wins this season at best. 7-8 is more likely. That's a great season for them in all honesty. Cyclone fans should love that prediction...if they're realistic about their expectations that is.

The real kicker here, we may still have a better record than them by seasons end still. We've been here before. I still think Iowa wins 7-9 games also. It's gonna be brutal to watch frankly but it's going to happen.

Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
ISU won't win 10 games. Even in that conference. Nope, not going to happen. Beating Iowa, who handicapped themselves, like usual, doesn't change what they'll do. They're a decent team, no doubt, but they have a max of 9 wins this season at best. 7-8 is more likely. That's a great season for them in all honesty. Cyclone fans should love that prediction...if they're realistic about their expectations that is.

The real kicker here, we may still have a better record than them by seasons end still. We've been here before. I still think Iowa wins 7-9 games also. It's gonna be brutal to watch frankly but it's going to happen.
Under Kirk, outside of 2002, Iowa loses five or more games traditionally when they lose to Iowa State.

Under Kirk, outside of 2002, Iowa loses five or more games traditionally when they lose to Iowa State.
I believe those stats. I just know KF is best when pushed against a wall. Sure, we wouldn't even be in this situation if he would just try on offense. Anyone with a brain knows why we lost that game. It wasn't ISU, it was the man above. Regardless, we still have a great defense that had one bad half, it happens. We've seen how many wins we can get with just having that. The B1G also doesn't look great in all honesty. A lot of the teams we normally pad our wins with are still on our schedule this year.

Also, 7 wins still fits with my statement. Even at 7, we may end up with a better record than ISU. ISU isn't overly talented compared to their peers, even without Texas and Oklahoma. I could easily envision them fumbling 3 or more times. Why, because they always do. They're still the same program.

Neeeexxxxxt year however....uh, yeah. Not gonna be pleasant most likely.

Reactions: Iron Doc and 83Hawk
Only reason Iowa has a chance at winnning 8 or 9 games is the soft schedule. Offense will finish lower than 100 in scoring and total yardage. It will be improved, but not enough. Defense has holes. Iowa state did what it wanted that second half and Iowa could not stop it. This is a classic 7-5 Iowa team that might finish 8-4/9-3 by virtue of a dogshit schedule.

It was a frustrating loss, but I’m not placing all my eggs in the CFP basket. It’s early in a long and unpredictable year. There are MANY teams that believe they have a shot, and MANY won’t be invited. IOWA will either be one or not.

I guess I try not to let it emotionally control me. I really don’t want it to rob me of my joy of watching and cheering for the Hawks every week. It can happen, or not, every time two teams line up against each other.

It was a frustrating loss, but I’m not placing all my eggs in the CFP basket. It’s early in a long and unpredictable year. There are MANY teams that believe they have a shot, and MANY won’t be invited. IOWA will either be one or not.

I guess I try not to let it emotionally control me. I really don’t want it to rob me of my joy of watching and cheering for the Hawks every week. It can happen, or not, every time two teams line up against each other.
This.
Now I am back to just enjoying the wins and acceptance of no playoff.

I am the exception but this is the reason I was not for expansion of playoff.
It sets a new bar for a successful season and now college FB becomes like college BB...regular season is nothing more than a series of exhibitions to qualify for what matters...the madness in December/March.
Sucks joy out of the sport.

I'm usually a die-hard fan but I'm about over it. Look at next year's schedule and we lose a lot on D. Gonna get rough out there.

In the same boat. That turd of a game let the air out of the balloon. I didn't watch any other games after that garbage. Barely watched NFL.

I'll check the score this week. THANKS KIRK.

Thankfully we still have Caitlin Clark. I'll distract myself with WNBA talk :oops:
I'm now a Texas fan.

It's been a few years since Iowa has been to Tampa so that would be a nice consolation for me.
(Would much prefer playoff)

ISU actually played poorly against Iowa, and yet they still won.

Agree with much of this, except ISU. They are likely going to have a better season than Iowa and could even be in the playoff hunt. The Big 12 is WEAK.
They typically shit the bed against a team or two they shouldn't also.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT