ADVERTISEMENT

The “Iowa Way”

I wonder if more racial disparities are going to be created now that black players are going to handled with kid gloves? Only time will tell.

I don't think anyone will be treated with kid gloves. I expect that the same goals and expectations will continue from before. frankly, to do otherwise is foolish. I think there with be more acceptable paths to reach those goals rather than one path that must be chosen by the entire team without exception. It sounds like the consequences will be less punitive and more connected to how that choice is preventing progress towards this goal.

I can agree with this. There are some posters taking it to extreme by claiming racism was allowed to run rampant for 20 years, just like there are other posters going to the other extreme by saying the coaches did nothing wrong. I do consider calling someone a racist a very serious charge, but I also believe we cannot ignore the concerns of so many players. I also do not like belittling players who have put their time, sweat and tears into the his program because they have some complaints.

Fortunately, it appears Kirk is taking action and moving the forward program in a positive direction. The current players and former players like Jaleel Johnson and James Daniels are on board. The rest of our fan base needs to get on board and stop with the sanctimonious bitching.

Amen!! Yes!

I cant truthfully sit here and claim what a Black football kid considers to be racially offensive or biased. Only they can.

Oh wait, they did. 60 of them. Their narratives asserted differential treatment based on race.

Case closed. This is nonsense.

How many posts before I can decide someone is racist? When does it become substantial in your mind? Because there are a couple posters that have posted some eye popping statements that would support that conclusion.
What concrete evidence was provided to conclude racism? Wadley has progressively lost all credibility and appears to have a monetary agenda. Please don’t reference his experiences as documented evidence.

What concrete evidence was provided to conclude racism? Wadley has progressively lost all credibility and appears to have a monetary agenda. Please don’t reference his experiences as documented evidence.

Here we go again. It never stops. Very tiresome

Black kid “I experienced racism”
Random White guy “Prove it”

I wonder if more racial disparities are going to be created now that black players are going to handled with kid gloves? Only time will tell.
In Des Moines public schools they are apparently told to pretty much let black boys do what they want because too many get in trouble(you know, because all those racist teachers lol)
So now black boys(just the boys not even girls) are not suppose to be taught that actions have consequences or how to behave properly.... Just so the "numbers" can look good.
I'm sure that's really gonna help!! Lmfao.
Thatll help keep them out of jail in 5 or 10 years!! Oh wait.....

I cant truthfully sit here and claim what a Black football kid considers to be racially offensive or biased. Only they can.

Oh wait, they did. 60 of them. Their narratives asserted differential treatment based on race.

Yes we know, many we're forced to act "Iowa white"....still haven't seen the actual definition of that lol.

How would you define what happened? promoted racism is harsh. Is it more accurate to say they allowed racially insensitive treatment?
Definitely not racism. The Iowa Way is the same for everyone. Do some adhere to or adjust to it more/easier than others, absolutely. Does that make it racist, no. Were some comments insensitive, yes. Racist? No. If it was truly racist then the whole staff and AD would be gone as the players would be calling for it, but they aren’t. They do need to allow student-athletes to be themselves more to a certain extent, but that’s a slippery slope.

Here we go again. It never stops. Very tiresome

Black kid “I experienced racism”
Random White guy “Prove it”
Nobody has said prove it. Some have already be disproven by former teammates. And no all claims of racism are not equal or even racism.

Last edited:
In Des Moines public schools they are apparently told to pretty much let black boys do what they want because too many get in trouble(you know, because all those racist teachers lol)
So now black boys(just the boys not even girls) are not suppose to be taught that actions have consequences or how to behave properly.... Just so the "numbers" can look good.

And you know this because you were told this by your boss at the DM Public Schools? You are one racist mother****er. Yep, I said it. If you even believe a shred of what you typed, you've earned that label. I agree with the posters that say we shouldn't throw that term around loosely but if the shoe fits. You clearly are wearing it.

Reactions: littlez

No, I don't believe anything Akrum said. I also don't believe the other players linked to Robert T Green. I completely agree they are liking for money and attention and willing to lie to get it. Please understand I am not supporting them in any way.

That said, there are many other reports that are credible that demonstrate a culture that was racially biased. Each individual incident may be nothing but collectively it is an environment that was biased.

No, I don't believe anything Akrum said. I also don't believe the other players linked to Robert T Green. I completely agree they are liking for money and attention and willing to lie to get it. Please understand I am not supporting them in any way.

That said, there are many other reports that are credible that demonstrate a culture that was racially biased. Each individual incident may be nothing but collectively it is an environment that was biased.
Help me understand. Is it racially biased or culturally biased? Not the same as people of different races can have the same culture. Is it insensitive to some or flat out racist and discriminatory?

Please appreciate that KF is old school. I’m sure his policies reflect that fact. I don’t believe jewelry, clothes, and conduct have anything to do with racism. I believe players defining these policies as “white” is racist in itself.

Help me understand. Is it racially biased or culturally biased? Not the same as people of different races can have the same culture. Is it insensitive to some or flat out racist and discriminatory?

Understood. I don't think it's flat out racist either by intent or in practice. It seems there was only one acceptable path before which excluded many black players. I'm not sure if it was racial or cultural bias. Maybe a little of both. I think there will be more freedom in choosing your path as long as you are meeting these collective goals.

Please appreciate that KF is old school. I’m sure his policies reflect that fact. I don’t believe jewelry, clothes, and conduct have anything to do with racism. I believe players defining these policies as “white” is racist in itself.

But if KF is old school and the attacks are being made directly on him, why is he so willing to openly admit his mistakes and understand what the players mean when so many on here can't?

Definitely not racism. The Iowa Way is the same for everyone. Do some adhere to or adjust to it more/easier than others, absolutely. Does that make it racist, no. Were some comments insensitive, yes. Racist? No. If it was truly racist then the whole staff and AD would be gone as the players would be calling for it, but they aren’t. They do need to allow student-athletes to be themselves more to a certain extent, but that’s a slippery slope.

It sounds like "the Iowa way" was decided by Doyle and had one route you were allowed to take to achieve the team goals. He had unlimited contact with the team and KF trusted him. I imagine we will see that hard work, commitment, effort and the goals of "the Iowa way" will remain the same. There will be more paths that are less rigid. KF mentioned that the focus will be more on correcting behavior than punishment.

Innocent until proven guilty has always been the American way. Lots of people on this forum want to bypass this.

Reactions: hawkosx
Understood. I don't think it's flat out racist either by intent or in practice. It seems there was only one acceptable path before which excluded many black players. I'm not sure if it was racial or cultural bias. Maybe a little of both. I think there will be more freedom in choosing your path as long as you are meeting these collective goals.
I believe the single path was the initial concept adapted by this program. Like a pink locker room to tame the opponent, a single path is intended to create unity and bond players. Football is a team concept and a single vision physiologically enhances success.

I believe the single path was the initial concept adapted by this program. Like a pink locker room to tame the opponent, a single path is intended to create unity and bond players. Football is a team concept and a single vision physiologically enhances success.

No question that was the intention and what I think Kirk thought was happening until June.

But if KF is old school and the attacks are being made directly on him, why is he so willing to openly admit his mistakes and understand what the players mean when so many on here can't?
KF Understands that this is in a no win situation. He is smart enough to know when to back down in an effort to save the program. I have no inside information, but I’m sure he doesn’t believe his policies are wrong.

If everyone has their own definition of racism it loses meaning.

we will have this crazy race crap till nov. 4th and the elections are over. then it will continue on probably in protest.

Reactions: pahawk68

60 players over 22 years had issue. Hmmmm. Thats 2.72 players per YEAR. Sounds like a huge problem when you put it that way doesnt it? LOL

That also means 2,580.16 players over 22 years didnt have issues. Hope that clears up your witch hunt.

Reactions: ditchdigger59

Team dynamics is an interesting thing. If they back off on the implementation of the rules for certain factions you will see it pretty quick.
Teammates KNOW who is doing the right thing. Who are doing the work.
Any deviation will drag a team down like cancer. The discord will be palpable.
I remember a couple of years when Iowa expected great things from their team. But for some reason they just didnt seem to click. Lost when they shouldnt or close game that shouldnt have been. All season I kept saying--something is the matter. It turned out we had some players
using and selling drugs. When the news came out I wasnt surprised.

An abbreviated season might be the best thing to make these tweaks in our system.

60 players over 22 years had issue. Hmmmm. Thats 2.72 players per YEAR. Sounds like a huge problem when you put it that way doesnt it? LOL

That also means 2,580.16 players over 22 years didnt have issues. Hope that clears up your witch hunt.

If a player had issues all four years, did you count that as one or four? How did you factor in players that didn't speak out publicly?

Right after you do.

zZSpfOO.jpg

Okay dude. Gotcha

So only 2.7 players per year experienced racism. Whats the big deal.
This is just plain ridiculous. Im sitting here in amazement. Like this is 2020 not 1960

KF Understands that this is in a no win situation. He is smart enough to know when to back down in an effort to save the program. I have no inside information, but I’m sure he doesn’t believe his policies are wrong.

Kirk believes the backbone of the “Iowa Way” can still be successful. The problem is how it was being applied and the strict adherence that was being enforced. This was evident during the press conference last week. I do agree with him and believe that he will be successful. Hopefully, this is not just wishful thinking.

Its misinformed and narrow minded perspectives from guys like this fella that keep this country in the current state that it is. The issues and climate of the Iowa program that promoted racism for 2 decades cannot be solely put on the shoulders of Doyle. This is why its so difficult to engage in meaningful discourse around social change with some of you. You live in a bubble and have no desire to understand how we must progress as a country so that Black Americans have equality and equity.
Its quite sad TBH and disgusting to read posts from this dude and others like him on a daily basis on this board.

And again with a tiresome post full of unsupported accusations from the troll. I'll rely on comments from actual players and the independent review for my perspective on the Iowa culture and what needs to change.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT