ADVERTISEMENT

The 20 Dollar Bill Controversy

Aug 23, 2013
Mt. Juliet, TN
Couple of years ago I was in Gatlinburg and bought some stuff in one of the shops there. I got a 20 in the change and on the bill someone had written, "This man was a racist who murdered innocent men, women and children". Remember it well. Wonder what is going to be written on the new Harriet Tubman bills...and for the record I think she needs to be honored...on a commerative coin only. She was an influential person but not a president.

Reactions: HawkeyeFB6
What are the criticisms surrounding Harriet? I don't know much about her outside of the underground RR bit. Ohand I thought this thread could use a pic:
2897CC2100000578-0-image-a-19_1431447257489.jpg

since there is no gold or silver backing it, mickey mouse could and should be on the darn bill and it wouldn't matter.... well, check that, maybe it would be suddenly be worth something to a mickey mouse collector!!

Reactions: HallofFame
since there is no gold or silver backing it, mickey mouse could and should be on the darn bill and it wouldn't matter.... well, check that, maybe it would be suddenly be worth something to a mickey mouse collector!!
Yes, but the Fed is backing it. Surely you have faith in the Fed, don't you. :)

It's pretty arbitrary since paper has very little intrinsic value.

Why does gold have any value? Why does it have more value than other precious metals, or paper, or the rocks in your yard? Because humans have decided that is what it's worth. It has no intrinsic value.

My bad... The "intrinsic" was incorrect. It is a store of value. That is what I meant. Apologies.

Paul
Do those 3 really belong together? While they all objected to powerful private banks, my sense is that Paul isn't making the same point that the other 2 were. I could be wrong - but if I am, I trust someone will explain.

Paul and Jefferson are pretty much the same. Jackson's quote is more malicious toward the entity itself. Jefferson and Paul are warning of the consequences of allowing a private central bank to create and regulate currency and credit. It's no longer in the control of the people at all. It hasn't been for well over a century now.

Paul

Paul and Jefferson are pretty much the same. Jackson's quote is more malicious toward the entity itself. Jefferson and Paul are warning of the consequences of allowing a private central bank to create and regulate currency and credit. It's no longer in the control of the people at all. It hasn't been for well over a century now.

I thought that was Jackson's beef, too. The difference, if there is one, seems to me to be a question of what you have - and, in particular, where the money comes from - once you get rid of the private bank or private cabal of banks that controls our currency and operates significantly outside of public control.

By the way, when you put it that way, the TPP is more of the same. Corporations empowered to operate outside of public control.

gold has as much effective value as a dollar or a gun. actually probably less than a gun. Wtf am I gonna do with gold?

I thought that was Jackson's beef, too. The difference, if there is one, seems to me to be a question of what you have - and, in particular, where the money comes from - once you get rid of the private bank or private cabal of banks that controls our currency and operates significantly outside of public control.

By the way, when you put it that way, the TPP is more of the same. Corporations empowered to operate outside of public control.

TPP?

I wish people would write-out their words. The laziness of acronyms and abbreviations is so frustrating.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT