ADVERTISEMENT

The BEST EVER Easter Ham thread...

I love ham so much.
I am not a hammy lover at all.
My Mom used to make a fresh picnic ham that I did like. But it wasn’t like a ham you’d buy in a grocery store.
I agreed to have a small spiral sliced glazed ham this year by request- but at Easter my favorite has always been roast lamb.

Reactions: Fan In Black
My Mom used to make a fresh picnic ham that I did like. But it wasn’t like a ham you’d buy in a grocery store.
I agreed to have a small spiral sliced glazed ham this year by request- but at Easter my favorite has always been roast lamb.

You probably never had a ham cooked correctly.

Reactions: Fan In Black

I don't really like ham either, never have. I can choke it down a couple times a year for a holiday or by family request, but I would never, ever choose it.

We'll be doing a rib roast, and I picked up like a two pound packaged sliced ham I'll warm up on the grill in case anyone wants it, just because.

So, Good Friday has arrived and the ham was removed from the curing brine this morning, and then soaked in plain water for about 3 hours, changing the water after the first hour. Now it's been blotted dry and is chilling in the fridge on a wire rack.

I found this Guga Foods video and he took it to 145 and then rested for three (?) minutes before putting it on a different grill with really hot heat and applying the glaze.

Not sure if I should change plans...

FWIW. Just re-read your original plan, and it seems solid. I'd stay with the plan.

Reactions: The Tradition
I'm doing a rib roast and a ham on the smoker. Because no way I'm taking the rib roast past medium rare and the kids want things past medium.

I’ve never been around a cadaver so I will take your word for it.
fd4d4585-b23d-4a30-90c7-1dc56b70f78d_text.gif

I'm doing a rib roast and a ham on the smoker. Because no way I'm taking the rib roast past medium rare and the kids want things past medium.
You can always just your kids stuff in the oven for longer. As for my kids, they both love medium rare, which makes me proud.

It's finally here! It's smoking day! IT'S SMOKING DAY!

Here's today's set up:

oSjWlqJ.jpeg

I've never done a charcoal snake in the PBC before, but it's commonly done in a Weber Kettle to achieve a long, low and slow cook. My hope is this will help me keep the temps DOWN much lower than the PBC likes to run. There's a bowl I've fashioned out of heavy duty foil in the middle. I'll put a little liquid in there, and the meat will hang directly over that bowl to catch drippings. There are cherry and hickory chips/chunks scattered within the snake for smoke. This is gonna be EPIC!

I am gonna take a long bike ride and make some fajitas.

I am going to smoke enough tonight that getting up tomorrow will be like waking from the dead.

One hour into the smoking process and the charcoal snake is working better than I expected. The barrel temp sloooooowly rose and is sitting around 165. That's exactly what I wanted to happen during the first hour. Later, I'd like it to get closer to 200 but for now, it's perfect.

Reactions: Lindemann
Two hours in...

I pulled the ham out of the smoker, gave it a nice spritz with some apple juice, stuck a probe in it, and then checked the fire.

Based on the burn rate so far, I would expect the charcoal snake to last for 10 hours.

Put the ham back in and keep on smokin'...

As always, the PBC will heat up if you have the lid off. Now we're rocking around 200. Right where I wanted to be.

Life is beautiful.

Is pork butt the most foolproof meat ever? Hell, I've been known to throw a pork butt in the oven at 300 or 350 for a few hours and take it up to about 175-180. Chop that sucker up, put it on a roll with cheap store bought bbq sauce...it's not blue ribbon bbq or anything, but it still makes a damn delicious sandwich. It takes a lot of effort for pork but NOT to taste pretty good.
Yep. Hell, before youtube was easily at the fingertips, we would just wing it in college using a cheapo Brinkman vertical smoker. Get a big pork butt, throw in some coals and chips in the am and drink cheap keg beer all day, letting it cook without much of a care. Once the bone pulled out easily, we'd wrap it in foil and towels and put it in a cooler for a few beers. Then pull it and serve to a big backyard party that evening. We had no real clue and it came out great everytime.

Reactions: Nole Lou
Three hour mark:

The PBC is holding steady around 210 - 220. That charcoal snake is working great!

A nice color is developing on the ham. It just passed 100 degrees internal. Gave it another spritz and just keep on keepin' on....

Temps started to rise too much, so time to deploy another PBC hack: The folded up foil damper!

4W1neSO.jpg

This gives you a great amount of control over the temps in your Pit Barrel Cooker.

Yes, I imagine that we'll have to trim some fat out on the plate. As for finishing temps, you may be right.

This video shows a butt cooked the way I'm imagining, and they took it to 174.

But they didn't double smoke it.

I'll have to think about this a bit. Fortunately, I have some time.

In an acknowledgement of @Nole Lou's concerns I have decided on a slight deviation from the plan. I'll let it go until it's firmly in the stall and then I'll pull it. Probably in the mid-150s somewhere. Plenty of charcoal snake and apple juice left to do this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nole Lou
Five hours have passed...

The ham is temping at 140. PBC holding at <225.

Spritzed and changed the orientation to make the lighter side face the hot part of charcoal snake.

Stay tuned!

After four (count 'em: 1, 2, 3, 4) hours the ham is temping 125 internal.

mCngqMb.jpeg

Time for another spritz and back in the smoker bath!

Here's a look at how the charcoal snake is progressing:

w6jLBH8.jpeg

Are you going to eat the net, too?

I have to say, this snake setup in the PBC has exceeded my expectations. The max barrel temp I've recorded is 228. Absolutely spectacular!

Six hours...

The smoker is holding around 212 and the pork is at 147.

Another heavy spritz and we'll probably be done for today on the next update.

In an acknowledgement of @Nole Lou's concerns I have decided on a slight deviation from the plan. I'll let it go until it's firmly in the stall and then I'll pull it. Probably in the mid-150s somewhere. Plenty of charcoal snake and apple juice left to do this.

To add to that thought, the rendering of fat is a function of both time AND temperature. It will be interesting to see how bad the fat veins are after 6-7 hours low and slow, and then another 3 hours around 275 tomorrow.

Remember, this is a little baby 4.3 pound butt.

Hour Seven....

The ham is firmly in the stall at 151. Been there for a half an hour.

The cooker is rolling real slow at 200-210.

I'm just gonna let it roll....

Last edited:
After EIGHT hours I called it done, brosephs....

The temp FINALLY started to budge off the 151 mark, so I pulled it.

IfWleih.jpeg

Note how little charcoal is left in the snake.

Here's the ham resting in the kitchen waiting for the next step:

lBpt3Qn.jpeg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT