ADVERTISEMENT

The BEST EVER Easter Ham thread...

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
I'm on a mission to make the BEST Easter ham EVER!

Grocery store (or city) hams are already cured and precooked with a light smoke. You could safely cut open the bag and eat it cold. When you cook one of those city hams, you're basically just warming it up. I want to take fresh pork and do the curing and smoking myself.

But first, did you know that ham can be made out of any large hunk of pork meat? It doesn't have to come from the rear leg. Many of the deli hams you see are actually "hammed" pork loin which makes for beautiful slices.

But that's not what I'm going to do. I have a boneless pork butt that has been netted to give it a nice oval egg shape. The netting will also produce an interesting pattern on the finished product. I will cure (or "ham") this beautiful piece of pork myself. I followed this recipe for curing brine:

The pink curing salt (Prague Powder #1) in that recipe is what gives pork that "hammy" taste and texture that everybody loves.

My "ham" weighs 4.3 pounds. I made the curing brine and injected as much as I could in that bad boy, then it gets submerged in the brine and into the fridge for the next 3 days.

On Good Friday morning I will remove it from the brine and soak it in plain water for about four hours, changing the water once to remove some of the saltiness. Then I'll blot it dry with paper towels and it will air dry on a rack over a pan in the fridge overnight. This produces a film on the outside called the "pellicle" and will help the smoke adhere to the meat.

On Saturday, I'll hang it in the Pit Barrel Cooker using various hacks to keep the temperature really low. I'll be using hickory and cherry wood for that cook. When the ham reaches 145 degrees, I will remove it from the cooker, let it rest, and then into the fridge overnight again, wrapped in plastic wrap. Now it's basically what you get from the grocery store with your precooked city ham. But mine will be soooo much better.

FINALLY, on Easter Sunday I will double smoke that ham by applying some Dijon mustard as a binder, Meat Church's Honey Hog BBQ rub, and then back out to the pit, again with hickory and cherry wood for smoke. Bring it up to about 130 and then apply a sugary glaze, take it out at 140 degrees, let it rest, and then it's HAM TIME!

I will also make grilled pineapples to serve on the side using this recipe:

This is gonna be guud!

Last edited:
So...I imagine it will be pretty delicious in any event because its pork butt...but I imagine it's not going to look a lot like what people envision as ham.

There's a reason that people smoke a pork butt to 200 degrees, to render all that internal fat into delicious juices. At 145, that pork butt is going to be ringed with solid veins of fat inside and out.

Now, I'm a person comfortably eating fat with pork butt, its delicious to me, but not everyone is into it. But depending on how many veins of fat you have in that roast, it might be a pretty unusual presentation for a ham.

I also think that you might find when you cut that rope that you don't have one oval ham, it falls into 2-3 pieces, maybe slightly connected by fat. I only usually see the netted pork but at publix, and I love it when I want to do a faster, smaller smoke, but it's always netted because it's a couple mostly separated portions.

So...I imagine it will be pretty delicious in any event because its pork butt...but I imagine it's not going to look a lot like what people envision as ham.

There's a reason that people smoke a pork butt to 200 degrees, to render all that internal fat into delicious juices. At 145, that pork butt is going to be ringed with solid veins of fat inside and out.

Now, I'm a person comfortably eating fat with pork butt, its delicious to me, but not everyone is into it. But depending on how many veins of fat you have in that roast, it might be a pretty unusual presentation for a ham.

I also think that you might find when you cut that rope that you don't have one oval ham, it falls into 2-3 pieces, maybe slightly connected by fat. I only usually see the netted pork but at publix, and I love it when I want to do a faster, smaller smoke, but it's always netted because it's a couple mostly separated portions.

So, like this is what it's probably going to looks like inside with pockets and veins of fat. This looks like it was cooked to about 180 though. Sometimes I prefer chopped pork to pulled pork, or I just run out of time, so I pull it about 180 and chop it fat and all, and this is what it looks like. Not sure what it will look like at 150.

BBQ-pork-butt-featured-500x321.jpg

Like I said, probably still delicious, because pork and fat is delicious, but I'd be interested to hear how it presents.

As for me...was just at publix and they have standing rib roasts for $6.99, so it turns out we're having that for Easter.

Yes, I imagine that we'll have to trim some fat out on the plate. As for finishing temps, you may be right.

This video shows a butt cooked the way I'm imagining, and they took it to 174.

But they didn't double smoke it.

I'll have to think about this a bit. Fortunately, I have some time.

Reactions: PoopandBoogers
I have also seen people on YouTube making "pulled ham" by taking it all the way to 200+ degrees, but I want it to be sliced ham.

The last couple pork butts I've smoked, I brought them to 165f. Then just let it set in the smoker, with it turned off, for an hour. Then slice. I don't care for it pulled.

I'm interested in hearing what the 3 day brine does for you. I've never gone more than 24 hours.

The last couple pork butts I've smoked, I brought them to 165f. Then just let it set in the smoker, with it turned off, for an hour. Then slice. I don't care for it pulled.

I'm interested in hearing what the 3 day brine does for you. I've never gone more than 24 hours.

It will turn the meat pink and taste like ham instead of roasted pork thanks to the Prague Powder #1. You have to brine that long to ensure the cure gets all the way into the middle of the meat. Otherwise, you'll have a spot in the middle that's gray instead of pink.

The rule of thumb is one day for every two pounds of meat at a minimum. Injecting helps speed up the process.

Reactions: Lindemann
HROTing aside, I wish I had the patience to cook like you do... and, the space. We live in a townhouse with no outdoor area other than a wooden deck. In our house in Key West, my brother has all the fancy grills/smokers etc like you do... I'll have to start with that once the outdoor kitchen is setup.

HROTing aside, I wish I had the patience to cook like you do... and, the space. We live in a townhouse with no outdoor area other than a wooden deck. In our house in Key West, my brother has all the fancy grills/smokers etc like you do... I'll have to start with that once the outdoor kitchen is setup.

What if I told you that you could cook better food than Trad and with less time and space? All you need is a microwave and some mayo.

He cooks frozen hamburger patties from Walmart; you can do it!

• Haha
Reactions: NoleATL and Moral
Yes, I imagine that we'll have to trim some fat out on the plate. As for finishing temps, you may be right.

This video shows a butt cooked the way I'm imagining, and they took it to 174.

But they didn't double smoke it.

I'll have to think about this a bit. Fortunately, I have some time.

That looks good...that basically looks like capicola, which I love, and has significant veins of fat.

Slicing it thin goes a long way to eating the fat with the meat. I haven't been in maybe decades, but way back in the day, Sonny's pork was fatty like that and thin sliced. I don't know what temperature they cooked it to, but it wasn't high enough or long enough to render the fat. Still tasted great.

Should be delicious. Post pictures of the final product.

Reactions: The Tradition

I live in a townhouse too, with a small wooden deck. That deck has TWO charcoal grills on it.

For five years now I've been dreading the day when the homeowners association or the cops come and tell me I can't do that anymore. So far, so good. Probably smells too good for anyone to complain. Before I bought the house I made sure to get the covenants and confirm that there was no restriction against charcoal grilling on the decks.

That said...I'm starting to get a bit itchy to get back in a house, and that's part of it. I'd like to have a more comfortable setup and more space, considering I gill or bbq every single weekend and several nights a week.

Reactions: NoleATL

I'm with you on pulled. The wife and kids prefer pulled pork, but I much prefer chopped. If it's up to me, I take it to about 180-185 and chop it, but in small chunks, not into tiny chips. I like getting pieces that are bark, meat, and a little fat, all in one bite. I like the mouth feel much better than pulled. Frequently pulled is soft and mushy, and more greasy than juicy.

Because my family prefers it pulled, I usually take it to about 198 for a large butt, which means the outside pulls, but there's usually some internal portions that don't really pull and are suitable for chopping, so we all get our preference. Taking it to like 203 which some people do, so it basically can be shredded in seconds with a fork or whatever...I just don't really love how that tastes and chews.

Back when I was at FSU in the early 90s, there was a bbq place called Banjos. It's gone now, but that's pretty much still my ideal, and their pork was chopped perfectly, and that's what I go for.

Is pork butt the most foolproof meat ever? Hell, I've been known to throw a pork butt in the oven at 300 or 350 for a few hours and take it up to about 175-180. Chop that sucker up, put it on a roll with cheap store bought bbq sauce...it's not blue ribbon bbq or anything, but it still makes a damn delicious sandwich. It takes a lot of effort for pork but NOT to taste pretty good.

The simplest and best ham is by far the crock pot ham. Get the uncut bone in ham small enough to fit in your crock pot, and rub it with honey and brown sugar the night before. Next morning put it in the crock pot and then fill the crock pot to the top of the ham with cherry coke, then turn the crock pot on low. I put it in the crock pot when I leave for work and my no pic takes it out about 6 hours later when she gets home.

Super simple and it's better than any ham I've ever had every single time. I do them once a month at least just to have delicious lunch meat.

I'm with you on pulled. The wife and kids prefer pulled pork, but I much prefer chopped. If it's up to me, I take it to about 180-185 and chop it, but in small chunks, not into tiny chips. I like getting pieces that are bark, meat, and a little fat, all in one bite. I like the mouth feel much better than pulled. Frequently pulled is soft and mushy, and more greasy than juicy.

Because my family prefers it pulled, I usually take it to about 198 for a large butt, which means the outside pulls, but there's usually some internal portions that don't really pull and are suitable for chopping, so we all get our preference. Taking it to like 203 which some people do, so it basically can be shredded in seconds with a fork or whatever...I just don't really love how that tastes and chews.

Back when I was at FSU in the early 90s, there was a bbq place called Banjos. It's gone now, but that's pretty much still my ideal, and their pork was chopped perfectly, and that's what I go for.

Yep. I think taking it to 200 to gelatnitise the connective tissue dries it out. Pulling it too hot makes it even drier.

165-170, let it set a while, then slice. It'll be run down your chin juicy.

Reactions: Nole Lou
Yep. I think taking it to 200 to gelatnitise the connective tissue dries it out. Pulling it too hot makes it even drier.

165-170, let it set a while, then slice. It'll be run down your chin juicy.

A nice long rest somewhere warm helps tremendously whether you're pulling or chopping. I've seen some YouTubers modify their ovens to hold at 150 for a really loooong rest time.

Best ham I've ever had was provided by my MIL about 25 years ago. At the time she worked at the Hormel plant in Algona and was the lead executive secretary there. Her boss gave her a Hormel sourced ham that were only provided to top level executives in the Hormel company at the time. The labeling and packaging wasn't like the hams that Hormel stocked in the stores at that time, it was a true unicorn of a ham and I've never enjoyed a ham quite like it since.

The best ham that I have ever eaten was at the Mount Vernon
Restaurant Inn on the estate of George Washington. It was a
delicious Virginia ham that tasted terrific. Of course that was
20 years ago.

I'm on a mission to make the BEST Easter ham EVER!

Grocery store (or city) hams are already cured and precooked with a light smoke. You could safely cut open the bag and eat it cold. When you cook one of those city hams, you're basically just warming it up. I want to take fresh pork and do the curing and smoking myself.

But first, did you know that ham can be made out of any large hunk of pork meat? It doesn't have to come from the rear leg. Many of the deli hams you see are actually "hammed" pork loin which makes for beautiful slices.

But that's not what I'm going to do. I have a boneless pork butt that has been netted to give it a nice oval egg shape. The netting will also produce an interesting pattern on the finished product. I will cure (or "ham") this beautiful piece of pork myself. I followed this recipe for curing brine:

The pink curing salt (Prague Powder #1) in that recipe is what gives pork that "hammy" taste and texture that everybody loves.

My "ham" weighs 4.3 pounds. I made the curing brine and injected as much as I could in that bad boy, then it gets submerged in the brine and into the fridge for the next 3 days.

On Good Friday morning I will remove it from the brine and soak it in plain water for about four hours, changing the water once to remove some of the saltiness. Then I'll blot it dry with paper towels and it will air dry on a rack over a pan in the fridge overnight. This produces a film on the outside called the "pellicle" and will help the smoke adhere to the meat.

On Saturday, I'll hang it in the Pit Barrel Cooker using various hacks to keep the temperature really low. I'll be using hickory and cherry wood for that cook. When the ham reaches 145 degrees, I will remove it from the cooker, let it rest, and then into the fridge overnight again, wrapped in plastic wrap. Now it's basically what you get from the grocery store with your precooked city ham. But mine will be soooo much better.

FINALLY, on Easter Sunday I will double smoke that ham by applying some Dijon mustard as a binder, Meat Church's Honey Hog BBQ rub, and then back out to the pit, again with hickory and cherry wood for smoke. Bring it up to about 130 and then apply a sugary glaze, take it out at 140 degrees, let it rest, and then it's HAM TIME!

I will also make grilled pineapples to serve on the side using this recipe:

This is gonna be guud!
Recipe looks pretty simple. I’ve cured hams using the amazing ribs recipe and that’s worked pretty well too.
That site can get a little long-winded but I enjoy the science behind some of that stuff.

So, Good Friday has arrived and the ham was removed from the curing brine this morning, and then soaked in plain water for about 3 hours, changing the water after the first hour. Now it's been blotted dry and is chilling in the fridge on a wire rack.

I found this Guga Foods video and he took it to 145 and then rested for three (?) minutes before putting it on a different grill with really hot heat and applying the glaze.

Not sure if I should change plans...

So, Good Friday has arrived and the ham was removed from the curing brine this morning, and then soaked in plain water for about 3 hours, changing the water after the first hour. Now it's been blotted dry and is chilling in the fridge on a wire rack.

I found this Guga Foods video and he took it to 145 and then rested for three (?) minutes before putting it on a different grill with really hot heat and applying the glaze.

Not sure if I should change plans...
For the amount of work you are putting into this ham, it better come with a beej.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT