ADVERTISEMENT

The BLT

Yay or Nay?

• Yay

• Nay

Results are only viewable after voting.
Made one with an everything bagel a few days ago. Game changer.
Buy this and turn everything into an everything bagel. I hit all my sandwiches with a bit of this.
71WchoLi3BL._SL1500_.jpg

Correct. I've yet to find a variety I like. Spinach is decent

I really don't understand any sort of dislike for lettuce. It doesn't really have much of a taste... it's just a crunchy vehicle for other flavors in your salad, sandwich, etc.

Now CELERY is downright nasty. I don't understand how anyone tried that and said, "Hey, this is good stuff! Let's serve it with chicken wings."

Cheese on a BLT does not compute. It's not a cheeseburger or a BLT burger. It's a BLT. You have B, L, T. Mayo allowed. You really should toast the bread but it's not BLT law. But cheese does not belong on this sandwich.
It is canon that the bread is to be toasted.

What kind of cheese you guys putting on your B(L)CT? All about adding cheese when possible, but can’t do Kraft American singles

Dafuq? Lettuce is the perfect neutral condiment. Adds texture. IIRC you are a Mayo hater. Mayo, lettuce, Lots o’ bacon, tomato, and toasted bread double decker style is sublime.
Correct. Not a mayo fan at all. Mustard is where it's at.

If you are ever down in sofla, there is a version of the cuban that subs the mustard for bacon, lettuce, tomato and mayo that is amazing, called the Miami.

The Classic BLT is a seasonal food. It must be paired with homegrown beefsteak just picked off the vine. (Several great varieties just for this) Fully ripe. Usually paired with a fresh ear of sweetcorn , just picked and a side of freshly grated coleslaw or fresh vinegar cukes. Thick cut Tiefentaller's Bacon cooked to medium, well done.

White bread, toasted. Full toast on the outside, on its way to being overdone. Freihoffers makes a good fresh bread in my area. A good homemade loaf too but in the summer the oven stays off most of the time.
Mayo- Fresh eggs, just made
Bacon-Iowa Grown Pork
Tomato Medium Thick slices, juicy fresh.
Iceberg Lettuce Short window for home grown but by far the best. (Great Lakes variety)
Mayo
Toast

Medium pressed to to compact together.

Sliced Diagonally, Must be prepared immediately as the toast is ready and consumed right after.

Store bought tomatoes are garbage out of season or hydroponics grown.

A Summer and Fall staple at my families house. Only time to eat them. Last tomatoes picked is the end till next year.

Dafuq? Lettuce is the perfect neutral condiment. Adds texture. IIRC you are a Mayo hater. Mayo, lettuce, Lots o’ bacon, tomato, and toasted bread double decker style is sublime.
Some of us are supertasters. I can tell you if lettuce was on a sandwich and later removed before I ate it. Hell I can tell you if a green pepper was on the other half of a pizza.
The moral of the story is, contrary to what you non-tasters think, lettuce has a distinct taste. Even iceberg.

I like many versions of the BLT. But, I don’t really enjoy raw tomatoes. I do enjoy almost every other version of tomato though.

I really don't understand any sort of dislike for lettuce. It doesn't really have much of a taste... it's just a crunchy vehicle for other flavors in your salad, sandwich, etc.

Now CELERY is downright nasty. I don't understand how anyone tried that and said, "Hey, this is good stuff! Let's serve it with chicken wings."

Iceburg is the only kind I would call crunchy. I don’t despise lettuce, it’s just sort of unappealing and in the way. Now, iceburg makes a nice crunchy base for holding bacon and blue cheese in a wedge salad. But after that I really see no value in lettuce.

Some of us are supertasters. I can tell you if lettuce was on a sandwich and later removed before I ate it. Hell I can tell you if a green pepper was on the other half of a pizza.
The moral of the story is, contrary to what you non-tasters think, lettuce has a distinct taste. Even iceberg.
If you have a superstar palate, you should be able to articulate the nuanced distinction between neutral and tasteless. Saying lettuce is tasteless is like saying light grey is white or colorless, which I did not.

I just take the lettuce off. I like my bacon served hot on the BLT. Lettuce doesn't do great in a warm environment, IMO. Double the tomatoes for me. Heck, I don't even need the bacon (of course I want it).

Cheese on a BLT does not compute. It's not a cheeseburger or a BLT burger. It's a BLT. You have B, L, T. Mayo allowed. You really should toast the bread but it's not BLT law. But cheese does not belng on this sandwich.
Dukes’s Mayo s required And the tomato should be a good quality.

Reactions: noleclone2
Dukes’s Mayo s required.
I do prefer Hellmann's in most contexts, but I could see preferring Duke's for BLT. It has a hint of extra sweetness (garlic?) and lemon. Not as flavorful as aioli but a step in that direction.

Love a great BLT or two with toasted whole wheat bread or I’ll marinate some chicken breasts in a teriyaki pineapple juice and have a BLT&C. If I do this, I’ll add in a slice of pepper jack or another hot variety of cheese for a BLT&CC

I do prefer Hellmann's in most contexts, but I could see preferring Duke's for BLT. It has a hint of extra sweetness (garlic?) and lemon. Not as flavorful as aioli but a step in that direction.
Duke’s is the only store bought Mayo that is fairly low carb. No sugar added.

Duke’s is the only store bought Mayo that is fairly low carb. No sugar added.
Hellmann's has almost no carbs as well. And I didn't mean to imply that Duke's had sugar added, but that it has a hint of something sweet that could be from garlic.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT