ADVERTISEMENT

The BLT

Yay or Nay?

• Yay

• Nay

Results are only viewable after voting.
Cheese on a BLT does not compute. It's not a cheeseburger or a BLT burger. It's a BLT. You have B, L, T. Mayo allowed. You really should toast the bread but it's not BLT law. But cheese does not belong on this sandwich.
tenor.gif

A sandwich with bacon, tomato and cheese sounds good. Someone should name it.

A BLT is a specific thing that relies on the interplay between a few simple ingredients. Eat what you want, enjoy it, but a BLT is bacon, lettuce, tomato on toast, usually with mayo; I suppose the toast and mayo are debatable.

Some of us are supertasters. I can tell you if lettuce was on a sandwich and later removed before I ate it. Hell I can tell you if a green pepper was on the other half of a pizza.
The moral of the story is, contrary to what you non-tasters think, lettuce has a distinct taste. Even iceberg.

I can tell you whether a green pepper slice is on the pizza without even opening the box.

Bacon
Small amount of lettuce
Tomato
Shredded cheddar cheese
Chopped red onion
Butter on toast (because mayo sucks)

The Classic BLT is a seasonal food. It must be paired with homegrown beefsteak just picked off the vine. (Several great varieties just for this) Fully ripe. Usually paired with a fresh ear of sweetcorn , just picked and a side of freshly grated coleslaw or fresh vinegar cukes. Thick cut Tiefentaller's Bacon cooked to medium, well done.

White bread, toasted. Full toast on the outside, on its way to being overdone. Freihoffers makes a good fresh bread in my area. A good homemade loaf too but in the summer the oven stays off most of the time.
Mayo- Fresh eggs, just made
Bacon-Iowa Grown Pork
Tomato Medium Thick slices, juicy fresh.
Iceberg Lettuce Short window for home grown but by far the best. (Great Lakes variety)
Mayo
Toast

Medium pressed to to compact together.

Sliced Diagonally, Must be prepared immediately as the toast is ready and consumed right after.

Store bought tomatoes are garbage out of season or hydroponics grown.

A Summer and Fall staple at my families house. Only time to eat them. Last tomatoes picked is the end till next year.

Thanks Garrison Keillor.

How about a BLT ****?

This is from a joke I heard years ago, but has stuck with me.
(Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato
Cut Up, Not Toasted)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT