ADVERTISEMENT

The Brett Kavanaugh accusation isn’t a ‘he said, she said’ anymore

Why is she refusing to testify? Why is she refusing to release the transcript of the polygraph? Why did she suddenly scrub all her social media? What is Ford hiding?
Why is she refusing to testify? Because this isn't the best way to handle this type of thing—and we know this. There are other, more prudent, judicious, fairer ways (for both parties).

Why is she refusing to release the transcript of the polygraph? This, I assume, is to keep this stuff in the hands of professional investigators and out of the hands of the public opinion bullshit (for now at least). This is my first inclination anyway.

Why did she suddenly scrub all her social media? Apparently she and her family have already been subjected to very real, very serious harassment, including death threats and such. I believe her family has left their home as advised by police. As in, they're not safe there.

What is Ford hiding? Who knows. I've said this in damn near every damn thread about this thing: While the timing is not inscrutable, it seems there is no "appropriate" timing for a woman to come forward on stuff like this. And I'm not going to judge harshly on that given our history of treating victims of sexual assault as guilty themselves (never mind the trauma of the assault or assaults). That said, the aspect of this story that is quite dubious to me—and I've heard not yet one response or attempt at explanation—is how apparently at-the-ready the GOP team was with this letter with 65 signatures. That type of thing takes time to put together, to locate and brief the candidates for signing, and then get their respective signatures—even in the age of social media and internet and phone pics and Photoshop, this still takes time. And yet the damn thing was ready almost immediately after the accusations surfaced. It's like they knew there were skeletons and did the fore work in case any revealed themselves.

The best coverage over the last few days on this has been at Democracy Now! Really in depth journalism first and foremost, mostly devoid of the opining and conjecture bullshit on the networks.

Why is she refusing to testify? Because this isn't the best way to handle this type of thing—and we know this. There are other, more prudent, judicious, fairer ways (for both parties).

Why is she refusing to release the transcript of the polygraph? This, I assume, is to keep this stuff in the hands of professional investigators and out of the hands of the public opinion bullshit (for now at least). This is my first inclination anyway.

Why did she suddenly scrub all her social media? Apparently she and her family have already been subjected to very real, very serious harassment, including death threats and such. I believe her family has left their home as advised by police. As in, they're not safe there.

What is Ford hiding? Who knows. I've said this in damn near every damn thread about this thing: While the timing is not inscrutable, it seems there is no "appropriate" timing for a woman to come forward on stuff like this. And I'm not going to judge harshly on that given our history of treating victims of sexual assault as guilty themselves (never mind the trauma of the assault or assaults). That said, the aspect of this story that is quite dubious to me—and I've heard not yet one response or attempt at explanation—is how apparently at-the-ready the GOP team was with this letter with 65 signatures. That type of thing takes time to put together, to locate and brief the candidates for signing, and then get their respective signatures—even in the age of social media and internet and phone pics and Photoshop, this still takes time. And yet the damn thing was ready almost immediately after the accusations surfaced. It's like they knew there were skeletons and did the fore work in case any revealed themselves.

The best coverage over the last few days on this has been at Democracy Now! Really in depth journalism first and foremost, mostly devoid of the opining and conjecture bullshit on the networks.
Very well said.

That said, the aspect of this story that is quite dubious to me—and I've heard not yet one response or attempt at explanation—is how apparently at-the-ready the GOP team was with this letter with 65 signatures. That type of thing takes time to put together, to locate and brief the candidates for signing, and then get their respective signatures—even in the age of social media and internet and phone pics and Photoshop, this still takes time. And yet the damn thing was ready almost immediately after the accusations surfaced. It's like they knew there were skeletons and did the fore work in case any revealed themselves.

Two of the signers of this letter were interviewed by Laura Ingraham the other night and this question was raised. The explanation offered by the women was social media. They indicated that a majority of the signers were ex-classmates and friends who had grown up together and now remain in contact via Facebook. Being a fellow classmate, Kavanaugh's nomination to the Supreme Court has been closely watched and discussed among the group. As soon as this story came out the group took it upon themselves to write a letter in support of Kavanaugh, solicit signatures and release it to the media,.... If you think about it, it really wouldn't be that difficult to put together over the course of a day or two.

Two of the signers of this letter were interviewed by Laura Ingraham the other night and this question was raised. The explanation offered by the women was social media. They indicated that a majority of the signers were ex-classmates and friends who had grown up together and now remain in contact via Facebook. Being a fellow classmate, Kavanaugh's nomination to the Supreme Court has been closely watched and discussed among the group. As soon as this story came out the group took it upon themselves to write a letter in support of Kavanaugh, solicit signatures and release it to the media,.... If you think about it, it really wouldn't be that difficult to put together over the course of a day or two.
Okay, but if Ford's story is going to be fishy, I think a reasonable person will have to allow that this sounds fishy as well.

Note that there are conflicting accounts to what this woman (conveniently to FoxNews and its devotees) is describing.

Also note that, even within the various threads about this, we have "defenders" of Kavanaugh more or less conceding that the "party behaviors" described (in a general sense) by this story were/are prevalent. Then there is that these boys (now men) were at an elite, private all-boys school. We are fairly well-versed at this point of the type of entitled, misogynistic, man-tribe, rich-daddy behaviors that often—if not consistently—emerge from these circumstances. So we know "boys will be boys" and we know that there was/is a culture of over-the-line behaviors in these rich-boy private schools. It's implicitly admitted/assumed even by Kavanaugh's defenders (and/or Ford's detractors).

In consideration of all this, and in light of what I've learned of the career and connections of Kavanaugh by listening to and reading from DN!, I'm of the belief that there is real smoke here.

Regardless of this sexual assault thing, I think Kavanaugh should not be confirmed. It's amazing that perjury is fairly well glossed over, the dubious concealment of documents is pretty much glossed over, and yet sexual assault accusations are what may take this guy down. He should have never made it this far. While people decry politics for why he hasn't been confirmed yet, I think it bears consideration that it is politics that has him in front of the committee in the first place.

DN! goes into great detail—with the folks who have been on this Ford story (and broke it) since the beginning—on how Feinstein handled this, the timing of everything, the whos, whys, hows, etc. The people that actually know shit are allowed to talk and answer questions at length. Not like the networks who have the same dipshit talking heads opining out of their asses, in neat-but-incomplete little nuggets of messaging, to keep everything partisan and "exciting!!" SMH.

Anyways, whatever. America gets what America deserves. If we're going to allow a lying grifter POS human being to hold the office of POTUS, might as well put dudes like Kavanaugh on the SCOTUS bench. We're all complicit, too. All of us tuning in and cheering on the nonsense.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Well one of us has a victim accusing him of assault...and one of us doesn't. Fairly different, in my opinion.
We can assume one of you was never black-out drunk. You would remember that, right? A lost hour...two hours...a night...

What are you trying for here?
Not trying for anything. Had you ever experienced a black out while drunk, you couldn't categorically deny some previous action that may have occurred during such an episode. Since you did categorically deny it, you must never have been black out drunk.

Not trying for anything. Had you ever experienced a black out while drunk, you couldn't categorically deny some previous action that may have occurred during such an episode. Since you did categorically deny it, you must never have been black out drunk.
It's a real catch-22 for both Kav and Judge. It'll go along nicely with the perjury.

Maybe not. Both sides have their letters. So why not spend the time to interview some of these signers to see just what is credible and what isn't? Why do the Republicans refuse to want to get to the bottom of this?

can't investigate every crackpot claim. nothing would ever get done in Washington.
Republicans can't have it both ways here. They can't claim that there is all this fishy stuff going on that needs answers, but then claim that there is nothing to investigate because we already have all the answers. Either we know everything, or we don't. Can't have it both ways.

Okay, but if Ford's story is going to be fishy, I think a reasonable person will have to allow that this sounds fishy as well.

Note that there are conflicting accounts to what this woman (conveniently to FoxNews and its devotees) is describing.

Also note that, even within the various threads about this, we have "defenders" of Kavanaugh more or less conceding that the "party behaviors" described (in a general sense) by this story were/are prevalent. Then there is that these boys (now men) were at an elite, private all-boys school. We are fairly well-versed at this point of the type of entitled, misogynistic, man-tribe, rich-daddy behaviors that often—if not consistently—emerge from these circumstances. So we know "boys will be boys" and we know that there was/is a culture of over-the-line behaviors in these rich-boy private schools. It's implicitly admitted/assumed even by Kavanaugh's defenders (and/or Ford's detractors).

In consideration of all this, and in light of what I've learned of the career and connections of Kavanaugh by listening to and reading from DN!, I'm of the belief that there is real smoke here.

Regardless of this sexual assault thing, I think Kavanaugh should not be confirmed. It's amazing that perjury is fairly well glossed over, the dubious concealment of documents is pretty much glossed over, and yet sexual assault accusations are what may take this guy down. He should have never made it this far. While people decry politics for why he hasn't been confirmed yet, I think it bears consideration that it is politics that has him in front of the committee in the first place.

DN! goes into great detail—with the folks who have been on this Ford story (and broke it) since the beginning—on how Feinstein handled this, the timing of everything, the whos, whys, hows, etc. The people that actually know shit are allowed to talk and answer questions at length. Not like the networks who have the same dipshit talking heads opining out of their asses, in neat-but-incomplete little nuggets of messaging, to keep everything partisan and "exciting!!" SMH.

Anyways, whatever. America gets what America deserves. If we're going to allow a lying grifter POS human being to hold the office of POTUS, might as well put dudes like Kavanaugh on the SCOTUS bench. We're all complicit, too. All of us tuning in and cheering on the nonsense.

Wow, lengthy reply,... oh, by the way, I don't necessarily think Ford's story sounds fishy...

Did she say "whiz" heavy on the h, like Stewie?

Ha ha ha,... Stewie is great, love that scene, .... No, when she said it the "whiz" part was really quick, almost nonexistent, and the "bang" part had a sort of disappointing, nonexplosive, flaccid feel to it,.. not sure what she was trying to covey...

By Aaron Blake
September 18 at 3:08 PM

This post has been updated.

In her must-read recap of how alleged sexual assaults are prosecuted, The Washington Post’s Deanna Paul quotes a former district attorney saying she doesn’t like calling these cases “he said, she saids."

"I stand to believe there’s no such thing as a ‘he-said-she-said’ case,” Linda Fairstein said. “As a prosecutor, it’s your job to break down every minute of the encounter so that details on one side pushes the facts over the edge.”

This is an important point — and it’s also key to our evolving understanding of Christine Blasey Ford’s accusation against Supreme Court nominee Brett M. Kavanaugh.

While critics of the accusation have dismissed it as a “he said, she said,” and argue that we have two competing accounts that simply can’t be reconciled, that’s increasingly not the case. Both Ford and Kavanaugh, in fact, have provided statements that could be seen as corroborating evidence or require corroboration, were this to be handled in a legal setting.

ADVERTISING
Republicans including President Trump have cast doubt upon Ford’s accusation by pointing out that it came to light mere days before Kavanaugh was set to be approved by the Senate Judiciary Committee — and after his confirmation hearings had already been concluded. This is probably the biggest argument against the legitimacy of the accusation.

But Ford has also documented a session in which she told her therapist about the alleged episode six years ago, and she reached out to The Washington Post before Kavanaugh was Trump’s nominee (but while he was on Trump’s shortlist).

Critics allege these amount to little to substantiate her claims, but legally speaking, they’re substantial. As Georgetown University law professor David Super notes, federal law explicitly says these previous statements are not regarded as hearsay, or unreliable, when they are used “to rebut an express or implied charge that the declarant recently fabricated it or acted from a recent improper influence or motive in so testifying.”

That’s exactly what Republicans are implying — often gently and without expressly calling Ford a liar.

“Calling it ‘he said, she said’ implies that both accounts are uncorroborated,” Super said. “But these prior consistent statements are corroboration. And with so many complaining about the lateness of the charges, they are at least implying recent fabrication. That makes her prior consistent statements not hearsay. Even a court would consider them.”

Ford’s prior statements, though, go only so far in bolstering her claim. The therapist’s notes describe four boys being in the room in which the episode happened, rather than the two she now says were there. Ford blames the therapist for not accurately recording what she said. But just as the previous statements could be used to bolster her claim, this could be used to argue that she changed her story.

Also pushing this into the realm of actual evidence is Kavanaugh’s latest apparent defense: That he wasn’t even at such a party. Sen. Orrin G. Hatch (R-Utah) said Monday that Kavanaugh told him he wasn’t.

Hatch clarified that Kavanaugh said “he was not at a party like the one [Ford] describes" and that Ford "may be mistaking [Kavanaugh] for someone else.”

That means we have another claim that could be corroborated or disproved. Other people at the party could testify about whether the party was similar to how Ford described it and whether Kavanaugh was there. There could be evidence introduced to support or dispute Kavanaugh’s denial, and his credibility could be adjusted accordingly — just as Ford’s old actions could be used as corroborating evidence to bolster her claims. (For what it’s worth, nobody else at the party is currently slated to testify publicly.)

None of this makes the case clear-cut, and we may never get definitive answers as to whether Kavanaugh was at the party or whether Ford’s allegation is true. What’s more, Ford’s past statements about the alleged episode aren’t proof of wrongdoing.

But to dismiss this all as a “he said, she said,” also misses the point. There are key questions that have answers here; we’ll see if the hearing Monday provides any.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...said-she-said-anymore/?utm_term=.63b92efc98b8
your right. It's a she said he's they said

It's not "he said, she said" because she told someone else what "she" said. Got it.

Ha ha ha,... Stewie is great, love that scene, .... No, when she said it the "whiz" part was really quick, almost nonexistent, and the "bang" part had a sort of disappointing, nonexplosive, flaccid feel to it,.. not sure what she was trying to covey...
Was it last Thursday? I was really hung over that day.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT