ADVERTISEMENT

The Dianne Feinstein situation is getting ugly

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Over the last three years, the Democratic Party’s kid-gloves approach to whether the late Supreme Court justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg should have retired during the Obama presidency has arguably proven extremely costly. Ginsburg’s death late in Donald Trump’s presidency meant he was able to fill her seat with Amy Coney Barrett, who last summer would provide a decisive fifth vote to overturn Roe v. Wade.

It’s not clear that a different approach would have pushed Ginsburg out when Barack Obama might have been able to replace her. But you could hardly blame Democrats for lamenting that series of events. So activists and a small number of Democratic lawmakers applied more pressure on Justice Stephen G. Breyer to retire, and he did, last year.
They’re now confronting a somewhat similar situation with Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.), and the effort is even more overt than it was with Breyer.

ADVERTISING

But they’re also discovering there are no easy answers here. And the situation has taken a turn for the ugly, leading to some uncomfortable conversations about politics, age and even gender that could reverberate in the months and years to come.
In recent days, calls have grown for the 89-year-old Feinstein to resign. That’s because her illness-related absence from the Senate Judiciary Committee since mid-February (she was diagnosed with shingles) has hamstrung Democrats’ ability to confirm judges — an increasingly important political metric for administrations.
By Wednesday, those calls had bubbled up from the activist base to include congressional Democrats, Reps. Ro Khanna (D-Calif.) and Dean Phillips (D-Minn.). Phillips accused Feinstein and those who remain silent on the situation of a “dereliction of duty.” Rep. Jamaal Bowman (D-N.Y.) retweeted such a call. Soon, Feinstein’s office issued a statement saying she would instead urge Senate Majority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) to designate a temporary replacement on the Judiciary Committee, which Schumer agreed he would do.

But while that would seem to mitigate the most significant problem with her absence, it’s not at all clear Schumer would be able to do it. Such a move requires the Senate to sign off, either by unanimous consent or by clearing a 60-vote threshold with the assent of at least 10 Republicans.
Some Republicans might reason that these things are almost always done via unanimous consent and that a party should be able to pick its committee members. But the political benefits of rejecting a replacement are also evident: The GOP could not only prolong the judge-confirmation backlog, but it could prolong what has become a very uncomfortable situation for Democrats.
And the discomfort was reinforced forthrightly early Thursday. Former House speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) — a fellow octogenarian female lawmaker who remains a House member — was asked about the calls for Feinstein to resign and suggested sexism was afoot.

“It’s interesting to me,” Pelosi said. “I don’t know what political agendas are at work that are going after Senator Feinstein in that way. I’ve never seen them go after a man who was sick in the Senate in that way.”

In addition to Feinstein, Sen. John Fetterman (D-Pa.) and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), who is 81, have recently experienced lengthy health-related absences. Pelosi seemed to be accusing her own party’s base of a sexist campaign against her ally.
Lurking in the background of this conversation are a few factors.
One is that, while Feinstein, a former San Francisco mayor, is regarded as a Democratic icon, she has in recent years alienated some of the liberal base — in part through her actions during the Supreme Court confirmations of both Brett M. Kavanaugh in 2018 and Barrett in 2020. Ahead of the latter hearings, some Democrats fretted that the then-87-year-old ranking member of the Judiciary Committee was no longer fit to lead her party into such high-stakes proceedings.

The California Democratic Party in 2018 also declined to endorse Feinstein’s reelection bid, with delegates actually providing more votes for a more-liberal Democratic challenger.
The second factor is where this conversation could go from here. Despite Pelosi’s suggestion, there are unusual stakes right now, relative to your average aged and/or ailing senator. The Senate majority is so tight (51-49 Democratic) that even one poorly placed absence can make a major difference. And Feinstein’s absence is poorly placed, given the committee’s importance and the fact that Democrats control it by the slimmest of margins, 11-10.
Trump was able to substantially recast the judiciary during his four years in office, and Democrats are still struggling to claw back the ground they lost, due to a series of variables. Democrats also face a difficult Senate map in 2024, meaning they might not even be able to confirm judges if Biden wins reelection.

ADVERTISING

Were it not for Feinstein’s utility in confirming judges and the fact that her absence has lingered for two months with no end in sight, it’s unlikely we’d see anything like the current imbroglio.
But it is valid to worry about where such things could be taken in the future. If critics can push out one duly elected lawmaker over such things, what about other aged lawmakers who confront lengthy health challenges? Lawmakers must worry about when such a campaign might come for them before they’re ready to call it quits.
The Democratic Party is also currently grappling with the potential reelection bid of an octogenarian president whose mental sharpness a majority of Americans (although only a small minority of Democrats) have questioned. Biden’s team has to worry about how the Feinstein situation will play out, especially to the extent it touches not just on practical considerations but also her frequently reported-upon decline.

In some ways, it’s a fair and perhaps overdue conversation to have, given that our leadership has continued to get older over time — especially at the highest levels of government. But that doesn’t mean it’s a fun one, as the latest events demonstrate.
The best case scenario for Democrats is that this goes away sooner rather than later, either because the Senate allows for a Judiciary Committee replacement or because Feinstein acquiesces (she has already said she won’t seek reelection next year). But the former will require Republicans, and the latter would require Feinstein to end her career by effectively being forced out, which is not how any proud longtime public servant wants to go.
If nothing else, the experiences of both Ginsburg and now Feinstein might serve as cautionary tales to others who might stick it out longer than their supporters would like. However it turns out, it seems our political paradigm is shifting in real time.

Pure selfishness. Shame on her, her family and her advisers.

Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., on Thursday defended her ongoing absence from the Judiciary Committee amid calls for her resignation, insisting that there has been "no slowdown" of President Joe Biden’s judicial nominees as she recovers from shingles.

“The Senate continues to swiftly confirm highly qualified individuals to the federal judiciary, including seven more judicial nominees who were confirmed this week. There has been no slowdown," Feinstein said in a statement.

"I’m confident that when I return to the Senate, we will be able to move the remaining qualified nominees out of committee quickly and to the Senate floor for a vote."

The statement did not provide details about a return date to Washington. Feinstein, 89, faces calls from fellow Democrats to resign amid her absence following her hospitalization with shingles this year. She has not cast a vote in the Senate since Feb. 16.

Feinstein has been out of the hospital since March and working from home in San Francisco since then, her spokesperson said.

Asked when Feinstein would be back in Washington, the spokesperson, Adam Russell, said a return date had not been set. “That date is contingent on her medical team clearing her to fly. And they have not done so yet,” Russell said.

Despite her illness, Feinstein has signaled her intention to remain in office until the end of her term in 2025.

While Senate Democrats have been able to advance several of Biden’s nominees with Republican votes, they had to pause on othersthat fell short of bipartisan backing.

“While the Senate Judiciary Committee has advanced eight strong nominees during my absence, I’m disappointed that Republicans on the committee are blocking a few from moving forward," Feinstein said in her statement.

Feinstein asked last month that another Democrat temporarily replace her on the panel to help move along several of Biden's nominees. But the proposal was rejected by some key Senate Republicans, who said the move would enable Democrats to advance judges on a party-line basis.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/sen-dianne-feinstein-defends-her-001427455.html

Good grief.

6acb4f4c66ddf33a38ec601afa9546e0

99c44ab93b1d31ad4b372c8c7edac1e4

These olds hanging around too long and destroying their legacies is selfish and sad.

RBG is the worst offender, but Diane Feinstein’s getting close.
Well, she did see what happened when Scalia died, and she was doing everything she could to hang on hoping Trump wouldn't get to pick another train wreck of a justice.
In general it's a good point. Iowa's own Chuck Grassley is going to die in office. He should have retired in 2016 at the latest. He's a joke, now. At one point he was a decent senator.

Well, she did see what happened when Scalia died, and she was doing everything she could to hang on hoping Trump wouldn't get to pick another train wreck of a justice.
In general it's a good point. Iowa's own Chuck Grassley is going to die in office. He should have retired in 2016 at the latest. He's a joke, now. At one point he was a decent senator.
She had cancer for two decades, and she was first diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in Obama’s first term.

She was an intellectual giant and Souter was considered a lightweight. In the end he made the right decision on the most important issue and his judicial service was more meaningful.

Last edited:
Reactions: goldmom
They refused to appoint a judge while Obama was president so I'd say it's less her fault and more McConnell for stonewalling. As far as Supreme court goes. Some leadership should be tested though. Both parties have some really old members. Grassley must be around 175? Lol

They refused to appoint a judge while Obama was president so I'd say it's less her fault and more McConnell for stonewalling. As far as Supreme court goes. Some leadership should be tested though. Both parties have some really old members. Grassley must be around 175? Lol
She had a Democratic majority in the senate for most of the Obama administration. She chose not to retire.

She had a Democratic majority in the senate for most of the Obama administration. She chose not to retire.
The repubs stopped a vote from ever getting close. I think we should just put most of us in congress and maybe the middle class wouldn't suffer so much. And Flint could get some usable water!

• Haha
Reactions: The Tradition
The repubs stopped a vote from ever getting close. I think we should just put most of us in congress and maybe the middle class wouldn't suffer so much. And Flint could get some usable water!

You think the members of GIAHORT being in Congress would be an improvement???

Who would be the Speaker of the House?

Not getting any better

Dianne Feinstein claimed she hasn't 'been gone' when asked about her lengthy absence from the Senate: 'No, I've been here. I've been voting'​

Story by bmetzger@insider.com (Bryan Metzger) • Yesterday 4:25 PM

• Sen. Feinstein insisted to reporters on Tuesday that she hasn't been absent from the Senate.
  • "No, I've been here. I've been voting," she told LA Times' Ben Oreskes at the Capitol on Tuesday.
  • The 89-year-old senator returned to Washington last week after a nearly 3-month-long absence.
Democratic Sen. Dianne Feinstein of California insisted that she had not been absent from the Senate when asked about it by reporters on Tuesday, according to Slate and the Los Angeles Times.

"No, I haven't been gone," she told the Times' Ben Oreskes on Tuesday when asked how her Senate colleagues have responded to her return. "You should follow the — I haven't been gone, I've been working."

Oreskes then asked her whether she had been working from home.

"No, I've been here. I've been voting," she said. "Please, you either know or don't know."

Feinstein then reportedly deflected a question about lawmakers calling for her to resign before an aide wheeled her away.

Feinstein's office did not immediately respond to Insider's request for comment.

The 89-year-old senator returned to Washington last week after nearly three months, allowing Democrats to advance a series of President Joe Biden's nominees through the Senate Judiciary Committee after Feinstein's absence had caused a stall.

During that time, some House Democrats — including Reps. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York and Ro Khanna of California — had called for her to resign.

Feinstein has long faced questions surrounding her ability to serve, owing to both her health and a series of public lapses in her cognitive abilities.

Insider asked the senator in December why she had decided not to seek the position of Senate president pro-tempore , a role that typically goes to the longest-serving senator from the majority party.

Feinstein appeared unaware that she had already issued a statement through her office on the matter, prompting an aide to intervene.

"Okay, well then, I guess it's out," said Feinstein at the time.

Feinstein announced in February that she will not seek re-election in 2024, and several prominent Democrats — including Reps. Adam Schiff, Katie Porter, and Barbara Lee — are running to replace her.

Feinstein has more than a year and a half left until her term expires in January 2025.

Not getting any better

Dianne Feinstein claimed she hasn't 'been gone' when asked about her lengthy absence from the Senate: 'No, I've been here. I've been voting'​

• Sen. Feinstein insisted to reporters on Tuesday that she hasn't been absent from the Senate.
  • "No, I've been here. I've been voting," she told LA Times' Ben Oreskes at the Capitol on Tuesday.
  • The 89-year-old senator returned to Washington last week after a nearly 3-month-long absence.
Democratic Sen. Dianne Feinstein of California insisted that she had not been absent from the Senate when asked about it by reporters on Tuesday, according to Slate and the Los Angeles Times.

"No, I haven't been gone," she told the Times' Ben Oreskes on Tuesday when asked how her Senate colleagues have responded to her return. "You should follow the — I haven't been gone, I've been working."

"No, I've been here. I've been voting," she said. "Please, you either know or don't know."

Feinstein then reportedly deflected a question about lawmakers calling for her to resign before an aide wheeled her away.

Feinstein's office did not immediately respond to Insider's request for comment.

The 89-year-old senator returned to Washington last week after nearly three months, allowing Democrats to advance a series of President Joe Biden's nominees through the Senate Judiciary Committee after Feinstein's absence had caused a stall.

During that time, some House Democrats — including Reps. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York and Ro Khanna of California — had called for her to resign.

Feinstein has long faced questions surrounding her ability to serve, owing to both her health and a series of public lapses in her cognitive abilities.

Insider asked the senator in December why she had decided not to seek the position of Senate president pro-tempore , a role that typically goes to the longest-serving senator from the majority party.

Feinstein appeared unaware that she had already issued a statement through her office on the matter, prompting an aide to intervene.

Feinstein announced in February that she will not seek re-election in 2024, and several prominent Democrats — including Reps. Adam Schiff, Katie Porter, and Barbara Lee — are running to replace her.

Feinstein has more than a year and a half left until her term expires in January 2025.

If people that old are going to still serve in congress they need to take cognitive tests and automatically be pushed out if they fail them.

Dems need to dump loyalty to the person and go with loyalty to their causes and to good governance. We don't need a person who doesn't know where they have been for the past few months voting on legislation.

Not getting any better

Wow

I realize it’s obviously not the same thing, but this randomly reminds me of the opening credits on ‘WKRP in Cincinnati’.

“…but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.”

RBG refused to retire under Obama, because she wanted Hillary to select her replacement,.. Trump happened instead, clock kept ticking, and time ran out on RBG.

If people that old are going to still serve in congress they need to take cognitive tests and automatically be pushed out if they fail them.

Dems need to dump loyalty to the person and go with loyalty to their causes and to good governance. We don't need a person who doesn't know where they have been for the past few months voting on legislation.
It's not like the Dems will lose her seat in the Senate.

Who will Gavin Newsom appoint? Himself? Schiff? Lee? Khanna?

It's not like the Dems will lose her seat in the Senate.

Who will Gavin Newsom appoint? Himself? Schiff? Lee? Khanna?
Newsom has apparently said he will appoint a black woman and that’s pissed of Pelosi since it would make her protege an underdog for a special election.

and to the morons who voted for yet another geriatric politician I say...

...elections have consequences.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT