ADVERTISEMENT

The economy is roaring. Immigration is a key reason.

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Immigration has propelled the U.S. job market further than just about anyone expected, helping cement the country’s economic rebound from the pandemic as the most robust in the world.
That momentum picked up aggressively over the past year. About 50 percent of the labor market’s extraordinary recent growth came from foreign-born workers between January 2023 and January 2024, according to an Economic Policy Institute analysis of federal data. And even before that, by the middle of 2022, the foreign-born labor force had grown so fast that it closed the labor force gap created by the pandemic, according to research from the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.

Get a curated selection of 10 of our best stories in your inbox every weekend.

Immigrant workers also recovered much faster than native-born workers from the pandemic’s disruptions, and many saw some of the largest wage gains in industries eager to hire. Economists and labor experts say the surge in employment was ultimately key to solving unprecedented gaps in the economy that threatened the country’s ability to recover from prolonged shutdowns.

“Immigration has not slowed. It has just been absolutely astronomical,” said Pia Orrenius, vice president and senior economist at the Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas. “And that’s been instrumental. You can’t grow like this with just the native workforce. It’s not possible.”
Trump vs. Biden on immigration: 12 charts comparing U.S. border security
Yet immigration remains an intensely polarizing issue in American politics. Fresh survey data from Gallup showed Americans now cite immigration as the country’s top problem, surpassing inflation, the economy and issues with government. A record number of migrants have crossed the southern border since President Biden took office, with apprehensions topping 2 million for the second straight year in fiscal 2023, among the highest in U.S. history. Cities like New York, Chicago and Denver have struggled to keep up with busloads of immigrants sent from Texas who are overwhelming local shelters.

Washington is deadlocked on a solution to the crisis. Senate Republicans and a handful of Democrats voted down a sweeping $118 billion national security package that included changes to the nation’s asylum system and a way to effectively close the border to most migrants when crossings are particularly high. House Republican leadership called the legislation “dead on arrival,” which seemed all but guaranteed after former president Donald Trump came out strongly in opposition.
Opinion polls show that voters widely disapprove of Biden’s handling of the border, and Trump, who is closing in on the Republican nomination, is touting plans for aggressive deportation policies if he wins in November. Republicans have increasingly campaigned on the idea that immigrants have hurt the economy and taken Americans’ jobs. But the economic record largely shows the opposite.
There isn’t much data on how many of the new immigrants in recent years were documented versus undocumented. But estimates from the Pew Research Center last fall showed that undocumented immigrants made up 22 percent of the total foreign-born U.S. population in 2021. That’s down compared to previous decades: Between 2007 and 2021, the undocumented population fell by 14 percent, Pew found. Meanwhile, the legal immigrant population grew by 29 percent.

Whoever wins the election will take the helm of an economy that immigrant workers are supporting tremendously — and likely will keep powering for years to come.
Senate GOP blocks border deal; future of Ukraine, Israel aid unclear
Fresh estimates from the Congressional Budget Office this month said the U.S. labor force in 2023 had grown by 5.2 million people, thanks especially to net immigration. The economy is projected to grow by $7 trillion more over the next decade than it would have without new influxes of immigrants, according to the CBO.
Alexander Santander, 49, is among those immigrants. Santander trekked for two months with his family, including two young children, from Venezuela to the Texas border last fall to seek asylum. He said it was a “very, very traumatic” journey that involved many nights sleeping on cardboard in the jungle.

For Santander, who is on humanitarian parole as he waits for his asylum case to be processed, the decision to uproot his life in Venezuela, where he worked as an operating room nurse, was difficult but necessary, he said. His family had faced years of food shortages and, more recently, threats for protesting the government.

“Thank God we made it here,” Santander, who now works in manufacturing in Denver, said in Spanish. “We have many more opportunities and already a better quality of life.”

Immigration has propelled the U.S. job market further than just about anyone expected, helping cement the country’s economic rebound from the pandemic as the most robust in the world.
That momentum picked up aggressively over the past year. About 50 percent of the labor market’s extraordinary recent growth came from foreign-born workers between January 2023 and January 2024, according to an Economic Policy Institute analysis of federal data. And even before that, by the middle of 2022, the foreign-born labor force had grown so fast that it closed the labor force gap created by the pandemic, according to research from the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.

Get a curated selection of 10 of our best stories in your inbox every weekend.

Immigrant workers also recovered much faster than native-born workers from the pandemic’s disruptions, and many saw some of the largest wage gains in industries eager to hire. Economists and labor experts say the surge in employment was ultimately key to solving unprecedented gaps in the economy that threatened the country’s ability to recover from prolonged shutdowns.

“Immigration has not slowed. It has just been absolutely astronomical,” said Pia Orrenius, vice president and senior economist at the Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas. “And that’s been instrumental. You can’t grow like this with just the native workforce. It’s not possible.”
Trump vs. Biden on immigration: 12 charts comparing U.S. border security
Yet immigration remains an intensely polarizing issue in American politics. Fresh survey data from Gallup showed Americans now cite immigration as the country’s top problem, surpassing inflation, the economy and issues with government. A record number of migrants have crossed the southern border since President Biden took office, with apprehensions topping 2 million for the second straight year in fiscal 2023, among the highest in U.S. history. Cities like New York, Chicago and Denver have struggled to keep up with busloads of immigrants sent from Texas who are overwhelming local shelters.

Washington is deadlocked on a solution to the crisis. Senate Republicans and a handful of Democrats voted down a sweeping $118 billion national security package that included changes to the nation’s asylum system and a way to effectively close the border to most migrants when crossings are particularly high. House Republican leadership called the legislation “dead on arrival,” which seemed all but guaranteed after former president Donald Trump came out strongly in opposition.
Opinion polls show that voters widely disapprove of Biden’s handling of the border, and Trump, who is closing in on the Republican nomination, is touting plans for aggressive deportation policies if he wins in November. Republicans have increasingly campaigned on the idea that immigrants have hurt the economy and taken Americans’ jobs. But the economic record largely shows the opposite.
There isn’t much data on how many of the new immigrants in recent years were documented versus undocumented. But estimates from the Pew Research Center last fall showed that undocumented immigrants made up 22 percent of the total foreign-born U.S. population in 2021. That’s down compared to previous decades: Between 2007 and 2021, the undocumented population fell by 14 percent, Pew found. Meanwhile, the legal immigrant population grew by 29 percent.

Whoever wins the election will take the helm of an economy that immigrant workers are supporting tremendously — and likely will keep powering for years to come.
Senate GOP blocks border deal; future of Ukraine, Israel aid unclear
Fresh estimates from the Congressional Budget Office this month said the U.S. labor force in 2023 had grown by 5.2 million people, thanks especially to net immigration. The economy is projected to grow by $7 trillion more over the next decade than it would have without new influxes of immigrants, according to the CBO.
Alexander Santander, 49, is among those immigrants. Santander trekked for two months with his family, including two young children, from Venezuela to the Texas border last fall to seek asylum. He said it was a “very, very traumatic” journey that involved many nights sleeping on cardboard in the jungle.

For Santander, who is on humanitarian parole as he waits for his asylum case to be processed, the decision to uproot his life in Venezuela, where he worked as an operating room nurse, was difficult but necessary, he said. His family had faced years of food shortages and, more recently, threats for protesting the government.

“Thank God we made it here,” Santander, who now works in manufacturing in Denver, said in Spanish. “We have many more opportunities and already a better quality of life.”

The thing that MAGA rails against the most the is the thing that is making this country great. I've been saying for years.

I don't even think you liberals believe this garbage. yes , ten million people come to texas all with no jobs and their hands out wanting free stuff promised by biden, and it helps the economy? ok. then I say we let ten million into ottumwa then!! that should really straighten that town out!!

Reactions: okcpokefan12
I don't even think you liberals believe this garbage. yes , ten million people come to texas all with no jobs and their hands out wanting free stuff promised by biden, and it helps the economy? ok. then I say we let ten million into ottumwa then!! that should really straighten that town out!!
10 million people immigrate if Ottumwa and that town will go through a boom economically that you wouldn't believe.

Have we finally moved on from the narrative of "it isn't happening" to "it is happening, but it is actually a good thing" phase? Guessing the polls didn't buy into biden's attempt to blame it all on donny t.

Have we finally moved on from the narrative of "it isn't happening" to "it is happening, but it is actually a good thing" phase? Guessing the polls didn't buy into biden's attempt to blame it all on donny t.
Always has been. Unless you're a native American, your ancestors immigrated here. How was the economy before they immigrated here?

There have been countless studies that show the positive economic impact of immigration on the US. I can either trust those, or I can trust the gut of people who are afraid of brown people. Seems easy to me.

No, but I watched King of Kong. I'd open up a new arcade and get rich on the new 10 million people giving me a quarter each.
I was supposed to be in the other movie about nibbler. but the production team was in chicago. I was in austin. tim mcvey, first guy to hit a billion on a game. they wanted to interview me about when my friend unplugged the machine when Tim got to like several million after 24 hrs. I think it took him more like 48 or more hrs to hit a billion. the next time they wrapped the plug in tons of duct tape so it could not be unplugged !!! ha ha

Reactions: Bonerfarts
There have been countless studies that show the positive economic impact of immigration on the US. I can either trust those, or I can trust the gut of people who are afraid of brown people. Seems easy to me.

I don't think there is an intelligent person in this country that thinks our current "immigration" policy is working, or that it's sustainable. If it seems like a simply black/white issue to you, you need to try harder.

Always has been. Unless you're a native American, your ancestors immigrated here. How was the economy before they immigrated here?
I have some bad news for you about the native Americans ancestors immigrating to the usa....

I don't think there is an intelligent person in this country that thinks our current "immigration" policy is working, or that it's sustainable. If it seems like a simply black/white issue to you, you need to try harder.

It needs some fixing for sure, but according to the article, it hasn't caused our country to go to Hell like the righties have been bitching about the last few years.

All I know is here in CR - if I see a roof getting replaced, or houses/condos getting built, or guys working on putting in infrastructure construction (basically, ditch digging type work) - I see (what I assume to be) Mexicans doing it all.

Nowadays, if we want something built - sure does seem like they're the ones building it. Maybe if we had enough legal citizens willing to get off their asses and build things - you know, work their asses off for good pay - they wouldn't migrate here.

Want to see our economy grind to a halt? Air tight close that border. Just don't piss and moan to the rest of us when your brand new home takes 5 years to get built.

Mixing legal and illegal immigration as if they are the same is intellectually dishonest and extremely misleading. BLS reports on legal and illegal immigrants (30 million). It's estimated that 8 million are illegal, which is about 1 million more than US born men (18 - 54) no longer in the workforce.

Reactions: Scruddy

Who said it was? Congress hasn't passed meaningful reform on immigration since the 80s. We are getting the immigration policy we deserve right now.

I'm a person that thinks it'd be great to have a very good idea who is coming into the county, but I also think that we should have MUCH higher legal immigration. Congress isn't interested in passing any legislation here, so we'll continue to get a pretty heavy flood of illegal immigrants. I've accepted the status quo there because I know nothing will be done.

Reactions: cigaretteman
It seems like congress should get off it's dead ass, propose some immigration legislation and get to work on solving this problem. Oh wait.....

Reactions: cigaretteman
i'm all for legal immigration.

But when it comes to illegal immigration and the labor force, the line between 'cheap labor' and 'human trafficking' is an object that is closer than it appears in your rear view mirror.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT