ADVERTISEMENT

The first one arrived today

Soy, I've always enjoyed your posts. This one seems a little touchy around here. I lowered ours 5%, tenant came to me an asked. We are very hilly with shitty csrs The deciding factor was his care of our property. I watch some of our neighbors try and make it in these clay hills and they are trashing their property. For me it was easy, the guy protects my investment, so rather than risk getting a careless tenant who I'd have to bounce in a year, I gave a little. My 2 cents.

This here is good advice.

Reactions: Car-go
People in this thread are hiliarous.

@soybean has been in this game through all the cycles and knows what he's doing. He's not going to drop a good tenant for a few bucks. He did seem to be a little farmer bitchy in the OP, but who cares.

@IAFB2021Champs you were right the first time when you mentioned not understanding. Your subsequent posts continued to reinforce that and added a level of envy or something.
What is funny is your post given he through the question out there inviting comments.

One of my uncles inherited the farm on my mom’s side. He still farms and his boys farm with him. They rent a lot of land around them as well.
My grandpa on my dad’s side got screwed over by my great grandpa. Apparently my grandpa was doing all the farm work and my great grandpa reaped all the benefits until the day he really f’ed over my grandpa and sold the farm in a selfish move.
So your side didn't get anything when your grandparents died?

I have four parcels of family farmland ranging from 80 acres to 320 acres located iin Benton, Poweshiek and Tama counties. I have been fearful for some time that the tenants renting this dirt would give me notice they are terminating here in August before the September 1st deadline. All of this ground is leased at about the 85th percentile range or so for cash rents for the CSR rating of the dirt. So I'm not sqeezing them that hard. I structure all of these leases to pay half of the rent on March 1 and the second half on September 1. In 2023 the worst piece, the 80, produced a 201 bpa of corn. The best piece , a 160, turned out 239 bpa for corn....so these are not bad parcels

Today the first Termination Notice arrived together with a tearful and angst filled letter describing just how tough it is to be a corn/bean grower in this modern era....he wants me to lower his rent, but he still wants to farm it.

Granted, I can see the storm cloulds gathering for agriculture. But ,why do these guys always expect someone else to shoulder their load?
this thread is worthless without pics of your SIL Elizabeth Hurley clone.

I assume you meant higher not hired. I used the average from Google knowing that a lot of farm ground would bring much higher prices including my own which lies on a major highway just a mile outside of town. Over the years many people have wanted to buy off pieces of our ground for development but like I said the farm always meant more to my family than money.
Yes about the error. Farmland has been a good investment and with cycles will continue to be that. You aren't sweating the stock market right now as much. One of the things keeping younger people out of farming is that under today's tax laws, families can avoid death taxes. Used to be that land had to be sold to pay taxes or at least a part of it. For people who were blessed by families holding land, it is a huge financial boost to posterity.

Reactions: gohawks50
So your side didn't get anything when your grandparents died?
I don’t know if my mom and her siblings got anything when my uncle took over the farm or not? Didn’t think it was any of my business, nor have I heard my mom complain about what she got if she did get something. My grandma is still kicking though, 94 years old. Doubt they will get anything when she passes.

I don’t know if my mom and her siblings got anything when my uncle took over the farm or not? Didn’t think it was any of my business, nor have I heard my mom complain about what she got if she did get something. My grandma is still kicking though, 94 years old. Doubt they will get anything when she passes.
My point was that you might end up inheriting farm ground as well. My guess is your grandma still owns the land that your uncle farms and when she dies it will go to her children including your mom. Then when your mom passes you will benefit from the farm either through cash that your mother received or actual farm ground of your own.

I have four parcels of family farmland ranging from 80 acres to 320 acres located iin Benton, Poweshiek and Tama counties. I have been fearful for some time that the tenants renting this dirt would give me notice they are terminating here in August before the September 1st deadline. All of this ground is leased at about the 85th percentile range or so for cash rents for the CSR rating of the dirt. So I'm not sqeezing them that hard. I structure all of these leases to pay half of the rent on March 1 and the second half on September 1. In 2023 the worst piece, the 80, produced a 201 bpa of corn. The best piece , a 160, turned out 239 bpa for corn....so these are not bad parcels

Today the first Termination Notice arrived together with a tearful and angst filled letter describing just how tough it is to be a corn/bean grower in this modern era....he wants me to lower his rent, but he still wants to farm it.

Granted, I can see the storm cloulds gathering for agriculture. But ,why do these guys always expect someone else to shoulder their load?

They have obviously been raised as Democrats having someone else shoulder the load and bare the burden is their way of life.

I've seen some "funny" things when it comes to farm land.

Some fair, some not.

Sometimes "mom and dad" give special treatment to the son that stayed on the farm to help.

Farm land can ruin a family in the blink of an eye.

They have obviously been raised as Democrats having someone else shoulder the load and bare the burden is their way of life.
^^^^Shit for brains.

This is not a political thread.

Maybe this is a sign bean and corn prices have bottomed or are near a bottom.
Long at 10.20. Before this thread was started. I have a stop at break even.
I see five waves down on a daily chart. Had to take a shot. I don't trade much anymore.
We will see.

My point was that you might end up inheriting farm ground as well. My guess is your grandma still owns the land that your uncle farms and when she dies it will go to her children including your mom. Then when your mom passes you will benefit from the farm either through cash that your mother received or actual farm ground of your own.
I’m about 95 percent sure my grandma does not own the farm land. Plus she has 7 other siblings. I would bet I will not be inheriting farm land or money from farm land. Even if I did. I wouldn’t go on hawkeye beacon to get a jab in at farmers and I would be happy about what I received.

• Haha
Reactions: McLovin32
Have you talked to your sisters about buying you out and providing land values to back your price request?

Some fair, some not.

Sometimes "mom and dad" give special treatment to the son that stayed on the farm to help.

Money can ruin a family in the blink of an eye.
FIFY

I’m about 95 percent sure my grandma does not own the farm land. Plus she has 7 other siblings. I would bet I will not be inheriting farm land or money from farm land. Even if I did. I wouldn’t go on hawkeye beacon to get a jab in at farmers and I would be happy about what I received.
Alright, but can you show me where I took a jab at farmers so you included me in your inheritance rant?

You sound like another guy that inherited farm land and is crying about it. If you could make so much more selling it, why are you hanging onto your land?

You do understand that soybean is a farmer.....

Getting $350/acre on 700 acres in North Iowa from two farmers, in the 2nd year of a 3 year contract. Average yield has been about 250/bpa for corn, so the rent is justified. I trust both of them and they're good land stewards and take care of the buildings too. I don't assume they'll ask for a reduction and will continue to pay what they've been paying so far.

He asked why some people feel the need to have others pay for their issues, which whether you like it or not tends to be the way Liberal Democrats think.

So the answer can become a very political one because it's true.
Now I understand why so many here have you on "ignore'.

Shit for brains!

Reactions: McLovin32
Is he though? I understand that soybeans are a farm crop but that doesn’t mean he farms.
Or do do you think I was an iowa football players when we were big ten north champs in 2021

What is funny is your post given he through the question out there inviting comments.
If you guys had been reading Soybean's posts for the last 10 or 15 years you would know why people are laughing at these comments.

I'll buy 10 of these acres in P county so you won't have to fret about those. Now only 70 to worry about. I'm here for you like that, OP.

Maybe I went a bit too far as you aren’t complaining like the OP, I apologize. But you did seem pretty quick to defend him.
I wasn't necessarily defending Soy, I was disputing your comment that it costs more to rent than buy farm ground. Right now farm ground prices are extremely high so renting is cheaper than buying.

I stepped in to a situation, slapped a lien on the farmer late and later he went full bankrupt by the end of the year. It does happen. He is now in Terre Haute Fed Penn for fraud.
Our guy has been around forever. So it’s doubtful, but never know.

Our guy has been around forever. So it’s doubtful, but never know.
This guy was known as a high flyer. Very personable. Spent a lot of money. One of the first things I did after college was deliver foreclosure papers to about the kindest farm family I've ever met. Their son had a tractor accident where a teen girl driving a car was killed.

About the guy in Terre Haute, I called around to other farm managers to see if they knew anything and they didn't and took losses as well as several banks and owners. My own owner was upset with me for wanting to do the lien and I told him I was done working with him w/o it. Was a gamble, but it saved my owner about 200k. Moral of the story is to treat business relationships as business.

Right now farmers are OK, but if farmland values go south, that will change.

If you guys had been reading Soybean's posts for the last 10 or 15 years you would know why people are laughing at these comments.
I haven't been around near that long. Fact is there are a lot of landowners that have no idea what they are doing. Aside from managing farms, I also answer a lot of landowner questions and do programs on the topic.

Getting $350/acre on 700 acres in North Iowa from two farmers, in the 2nd year of a 3 year contract. Average yield has been about 250/bpa for corn, so the rent is justified. I trust both of them and they're good land stewards and take care of the buildings too. I don't assume they'll ask for a reduction and will continue to pay what they've been paying so far.
We certainly have that rent, and more (organic and seed corn acres) getting paid in our area. I'd bet that majority of my customers high dollar rented acres fall between $300-$325. We don't have a ton of land investors in our area, and the ones that are here are renting to the large farms and not the "family farm". We certainly aren't paying anywhere near $350 for what we rent, but again, that's before non-required bonus payouts that they get on good years, which we've had plenty of lately.

Edit to add that I know of several farms over $400 an acre, but they are investor owned ground. One got terminated last year, thinking they could find a tenant to pay more, and came crawling back to the previous tenant. Greedy land lords..

We certainly have that rent, and more (organic and seed corn acres) getting paid in our area. I'd bet that majority of my customers high dollar rented acres fall between $300-$325. We don't have a ton of land investors in our area, and the ones that are here are renting to the large farms and not the "family farm". We certainly aren't paying anywhere near $350 for what we rent, but again, that's before non-required bonus payouts that they get on good years, which we've had plenty of lately.

Edit to add that I know of several farms over $400 an acre, but they are investor owned ground. One got terminated last year, thinking they could find a tenant to pay more, and came crawling back to the previous tenant. Greedy land lords..
That's interesting. Plenty of $400+ in our area this year still. I wouldn't call it greedy. As mentioned, one can find plenty of good farmers for that price, but we do have land that hits 300 bu per acre (not every year) and soybeans +85-95.

Where US farmers are behind in competition is the price per acre of machinery. Too much equipment. Labor shortage is a part of that equation, but it depends on what is paid. I'm pretty sure that really good land sells for +15k in central Iowa. A 2.5 percent return is $325 per acre and that isn't greedy. Historical numbers should be +4%. Property taxes here are 2x what Iowa is.

I've managed 3 farms that do amazingly well on yield. One is the equivalent of CSR of about 82. The soils are pretty good, but struggle in dry or wet weather. What do those farms have in common?

1. Exceedingly careful farmers about compaction and erosion
2. 20 inch row spacing.
3. P level tests at least 65-75 pounds per acre (adding more doesn't help)
4. K levels testing at +370-400 but more doesn't help.
5. Modified Strip till
6. Draper Headers
7. No till beans
8. Occasional vertical till to break up fert and lime layering
9. Tile improvement (especially for corn)
10. Abiilty to fix tile/protect and fix waterways.
11. Consistent attitude to improve things.
12. Willingness to change and take advice.

Farmers that don't work out...typically a combo
1. Griping about cash rent - they oft are the one's not fertilizing
2. Massive tillage (recreational)
3. Non communicative (don't file required reports)
4. Farm the ground wet.
5. Not concerned about compaction.
6. Don't want to make improvements

I've worked with about 100 farmers (operations) over the years. I've only non-renewed about 5 (one is now in prison, but boy could he grow corn). Had 5 quit. The rest are either really good or make progressive changes. Most are really glad to see me.

Most landowners can/should manage their farms without a manager if they seek to learn. If interested, I work with the landowner to teach them how to do it should we decide to part ways.

Landowners in a crop share arrangement really need to dig into what is going on. By that point, you might as well manage land yourself.

Did he try to negotiate the lease before sending a termination letter? Seems odd if not, because if you would have entertained a small drop in rent, there is no reason to terminate the lease. If not, I can understand getting out in front of it ahead of the 9/1 deadline. I'd say if you are in the top 85th percentile, as you noted, that is a pretty good squeeze on them with the markets where they are, and inputs certainly not following suit.

I guess we take a different approach, which has kept our rents below market average. We do a flex lease of sorts, though nothing is written on paper that way. We end up writing rather large per acre bonus checks on the good years, which in turn, has allowed our landlords to trust that when we make extra money, so will they, instead of chasing the land market all to hell (which never plays out well for the farmer).

You mentioned share crop not being something you'd be interested in, but I think you'd be surprised by the amount of crop that is still share cropped. We've got 400 acres of a 50/50 share crop yet, which has been mutually beneficial to ourselves and our landlord. Also, in my line of business, I've seen share crops of 25/75 (essentially custom farming, farmer doesn't pay for any of the inputs, but gets 25% of the crop for their work), and 60/40 in favor of the landlord. Also worked through a lot of flex leases based on crop insurance prices, which is a way to lower the base rent, but still allow for some upside for the land owner.

If they are a good tenant, why not be open to the conversation and get their side? You also made note of expecting someone to shoulder their load, but what option do they have? Would you stay in business long knowing you are going to lose "x" per acre? Or would you do the prudent thing, and try to lower your inputs, and land rent being the top one. I'm certain it wouldn't take you long to find someone willing to pay what they were paying, or more than they were paying though. It's the Ag world we live in, where instead of looking at the bottom line, they want to farm the world and hope they hit a homerun, until the bank says their run is done.

Good luck though, it's hard to find good tenants that care about the land, fertilize well, and try to grow the best crop they can on land that isn't theirs. We actually turned down several hundred new rented acres a few years ago because we knew the prior farmer didn't fertilize worth a shit, and we didn't want to pay the higher rent cost, and have yield deficiencies due to the previous tenant. Bottom line has to come into play at some point, and it looks like it's going to again for the next couple of years.
What protections to landlords have against dishonesty with share cropping? That has always been my biggest turnoff to offering share cropping.

Some fair, some not.

Farm land can ruin a family in the blink of an eye.
Does the sweat equity he put into taking care of things for mom and dad not have any value? This is a hot button topic for me because my dad was the son who stayed on the farm and took care of my grandparents. I bought the home place from my grandma in 2015 and am now in the same position my dad was in. My sweat equity and being around to help my parents out should be factored in to things when that day comes. I'm not expecting a huge bonus but cutting things in equal shares doesn't seem fair in my mind either. I think my sisters are in agreement with me on that. Divide land equally, but equipment and cattle should be handled differently in my opinion.

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT