ADVERTISEMENT

The funniest alpha white male trait in America right now...

It’s largely about home field advantage. Generally, “alpha” guys maintain power by tailoring their behaviors to fit a specific set of circumstances, sensibilities and dynamics. It’s the alpha who requires a “fair fight” in order to ensure continued success. That why when Bobby Hill started slaying his enemies by kicking them in the balls (“that’s MY purse!”) it caused such a stir. His asymmetrical tactics—borrowed from urban self defense culture—posed an existential threat to the small town power structure.

I think the “alphas” at question itt are aware of their tactical disadvantage where operating outside their ideal cultural biome, and they overcompensate with firearms and a generally aggressive attitude—which is their perception of the proper posture to assume in an urban setting.

Also, I get what convenient parking is saying, but I think there is legitimate value to interacting with nature via hunting/fishing/foraging. I see it as a coping strategy to deal with what Marxists have identified as the problem of alienation from production.

Reactions: torbee
Well I live in rural Iowa, have a pickup I use to haul stuff and I hate going to big cities. Not because I am “afraid”, more like I hate the effing traffic and crowds. I also don’t like being called “flyover” country. Like we don’t matter here or something. Also I am far far from a Trump loving MAGA. So your stereotype above is not entirely accurate (although I do see the people you describe).
And then there's the resentment and grievance, which their "media" and politicians gleefully exploit.

It’s largely about home field advantage. Generally, “alpha” guys maintain power by tailoring their behaviors to fit a specific set of circumstances, sensibilities and dynamics. It’s the alpha who requires a “fair fight” in order to ensure continued success. That why when Bobby Hill started slaying his enemies by kicking them in the balls (“that’s MY purse!”) it caused such a stir. His asymmetrical tactics—borrowed from urban self defense culture—posed an existential threat to the small town power structure.

I think the “alphas” at question itt are aware of their tactical disadvantage where operating outside their ideal cultural biome, and they overcompensate with firearms and a generally aggressive attitude—which is their perception of the proper posture to assume in an urban setting.

Also, I get what convenient parking is saying, but I think there is legitimate value to interacting with nature via hunting/fishing/foraging. I see it as a coping strategy to deal with what Marxists have identified as the problem of alienation from production.
I'm afraid of getting kicked in the nuts too, but I don't compensate by brandishing a firearm and proclaiming myself an Alpha.

Reactions: Thunderlips71
I grew up in Iowa and moved down to South Florida when I was 22. I’ve been down here for 21 years. Through those years I wouldn’t want to live anywhere but the city. Flying back to Iowa felt boring because there frankly wasn’t much to do.
At 43, im ready to move back to rural Iowa. You just grow tired of the nasty people and the traffic. I appreciate the smell of fresh air and the sense of peace when being in Iowa.

My grandfather would say his favorite thing to do was to listen to the birds in the morning while drinking his coffee. I thought it was boring as hell when I was young but now I can’t wait.
I'm guessing being able to afford a house and not having a landlord jack up rent almost $500 is pretty appealing too. That's ridiculous

I grew up in Iowa and moved down to South Florida when I was 22. I’ve been down here for 21 years. Through those years I wouldn’t want to live anywhere but the city. Flying back to Iowa felt boring because there frankly wasn’t much to do.
At 43, im ready to move back to rural Iowa. You just grow tired of the nasty people and the traffic. I appreciate the smell of fresh air and the sense of peace when being in Iowa.

My grandfather would say his favorite thing to do was to listen to the birds in the morning while drinking his coffee. I thought it was boring as hell when I was young but now I can’t wait.
Boring is good. One of the reasons I prefer a small city to a larger metro.

There is a sweet spot in the 80k-500k population range IMO.

Reactions: HawCory

Spot on post. Mike Judge is the best American satirist since Mark Twain.

Traffic just sucks. Parking sucks (especially paying for it). I imagine if you grow up where they have constant bumper-to-bumper traffic you just get used to it but I find that part miserable whenever I leave Des Moines to visit a larger city. I don't hate transit so I could do a larger city that had good trains or a much better bus system than what Des Moines has.

The ideal would be to live just outside of the large city.

When my father was down here in February he was just shocked how long it takes to get places in South Florida. We drove the 8.9 miles over to the beach one day and it took us around 40 minutes. He said “I don’t know how you can live down here”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT