ADVERTISEMENT

The funniest alpha white male trait in America right now...

Not only does my truck allow to me do a multitude of things around my house it also allows me to get my golf cart to the course. I can load my cart into my bed over lunch, leave my house at 4 and be home by 6 after playing 9 holes. Love my truck.
A golf cart weighs about 1000 lbs. It can be towed behind most small SUVs and passenger cars.

And I say this as someone who owns a truck and multiple trailers for my towing/hauling needs (which far exceed towing a golf cart).

Dominant*. I don't care much for pop psych and I s'pose I find it obnoxious when others obsess over it
Ok... I under stand that from your previous post. I would question the "pop psych" opinion of personality in psychology but we can save that.

Do you believe there are people who are naturally more or naturally less dominant than others?

What does the word assertive mean to you?

A golf cart weighs about 1000 lbs. It can be towed behind most small SUVs and passenger cars.

And I say this as someone who owns a truck and multiple trailers for my towing needs (which far exceed towing a golf cart).
Yea... and then I have to have a trailer. Or I can have a truck that does all.

Not the way I roll home.

Last edited:
Ok... I under stand that from your previous post. I would question the "pop psych" opinion of personality in psychology but we can save that.

Do you believe there are people who are naturally more or naturally less dominant than others?

What does the word assertive mean to you?

Let's try this instead. Do you think your average self-described alpha male has any formal understanding of personality in psychology? I say they're following the leader.

So you know that there are people who are more or less dominate than others, your issue is for those who think about it?
That depends on what u view as being dominant or submissive. Can a husband be dominating his spouse about vacation destination. When in reality the spouse doesn't give a shit and uses the goodwill earned to towards dominating a decision she/he does care about. Alpha/Beta thing is binary. When in reality our relationships are more complicated.
Or at work u let a fellow employee run a decision and take the blame for things that go wrong.

Idk when I ever said I thought Iowa "sucked".
I guess I misinterpreted the best thing being the Iowa games. I assumed you meant there was no other reason to be in Iowa that you liked, much less live here. If I was off base, my apologies. If I was on base then my comment stands.

Let's try this instead. Do you think your average self-described alpha male has any formal understanding of personality in psychology? I say they're following the leader.
That is a completely erroneous question to where we are.

Do you believe there are personalities that are more dominant than others and personalities that are less dominant?

That is a completely erroneous question to where we are.

Do you believe there are personalities that are more dominant than others and personalities that are less dominant?

Having no formal training in psychology myself, intuitively I rather doubt it's a simple dichotomy. And I think the purpose of the dichotomy is to simplify it for... well I can only think of poor reasons.

The best thing is the football games to people who visit Iowa. Iowa State Fair and now Lost Island Water/Theme Parks are up there. Adventureland is a joke to people that visit it. There's no beaches, no mountains. There's a lot of corn and soy fields. The biggest tourist trap we have outside of those things listed would be the World's Largest Frying Pan or the Bridges of Madison County.

It's a great place to live and grow up, sure. But, nobody is saying, "Heck yeah, let's plan a trip to Iowa!"

Having no formal training in psychology myself, intuitively I rather doubt it's a simple dichotomy. And I think the purpose of the dichotomy is to simplify it for... well I can only think of poor reasons.
Leaving aside someone who has just stated they have no formal training in psych, yet feels like personality is "pop psych" I find it absolutely amazing you have a desire to speak on the subject yet cannot even distinguish strengths of personality.

• Haha
Reactions: fivecardstud14
The best thing is the football games to people who visit Iowa. Iowa State Fair and now Lost Island Water/Theme Parks are up there. Adventureland is a joke to people that visit it. There's no beaches, no mountains. There's a lot of corn and soy fields. The biggest tourist trap we have outside of those things listed would be the World's Largest Frying Pan or the Bridges of Madison County.

It's a great place to live and grow up, sure. But, nobody is saying, "Heck yeah, let's plan a trip to Iowa!"
^ Doesn't understand the trophy buck opportunities hunters have coming to Iowa.

Leaving aside someone who has just stated they have no formal training in psych, yet feels like personality is "pop psych" I find it absolutely amazing you have a desire to speak on the subject yet cannot even distinguish strengths of personality.

Oh so alpha/beta is some top notch rigorous psychology?

I personally see more codependencies. As I've said it depends on how u define alpha. Can a Beta manipulate an Alpha to accomplish their goals. Well whose the dominant one then?

Labeling them "alpha/beta" is layman's terms. Personality, and dominance therein, is ground level study of behavior aka psychology.
And it's as simple as you're either one or you're the other and labelling yourself correctly as one or the other matters? Because that's what alpha/beta is in reality to people who live by it

Anyone who complains about the violence or crime in a city without having set foot in said city qualifies. And it is typically cities with large minority populations, not cities like Milwaukee with horrible crime statistics.

I personally see more codependencies. As I've said it depends on how u define alpha. Can a Beta manipulate an Alpha to accomplish their goals. Well whose the dominant one then?
Sure a "beta" can manipulate, you are possibly familiar with the "Brat" personality type? They are manipultive as ****, but they dont dominate. A more dominate person does not.mean they ALWAYS dominate a partner, it does however mean they are the dominate provider of the pairs response to a stimulus.

Obviously you have never been to the Field of Dreams😉

Probably the same group that is referenced in the OP:

Loves college football. Thinks colleges are liberal indoctrination centers. Hates professors, lib college towns, education.
I am always astounded at these people.

I have a family of mouth-breathing MAGAs that sit behind me at Kinnick. They literally hate everything about Iowa City and the University of Iowa and its graduates except for the football team.

Very odd.

Reactions: blhawk
I don’t know where you live Art but I don’t do huge project but plenty of smaller ones where waiting for a delivery truck would just be silly when I can drive a half hour, pick up what I need and continue. Also have huge flower beds and yard so plenty of trips to the town compost. Also have 4 kayaks that get used plenty in the summer. They wouldn’t fit in a Prius. High clearance and 4 wheel drive in the winter helps too. I am sure I am forgetting things. I will not be without a truck until I am too damn old to mow the lawn…
Yeah I don't get the "No one but farmers or ranchers need a truck" folks.

I haul my boat, use it for ski trips, trout fishing trips, camping trips. My fishing kayak fits in the bed. It's also awesome for tailgating (holds tailgating tent, two coolers, a lil' smokie weber grill and a fire pit while also allowing 3 passengers in the cab.) I help friends and family move stuff. Get mulch every spring in it, firewood all fall and winter. It is a by-far better winter vehicle than my BMW sedan.

Oh, and by WDT's criteria, I probably would be labeled a beta liberal pussy, but I reject that as I am intellectually dominant (or dominate, as he would say ;) )

Last edited:
Probably the same group that is referenced in the OP:

Loves college football. Thinks colleges are liberal indoctrination centers. Hates professors, lib college towns, education.

And even though he is skeptical of education professionals, his wife can find the time to harass school board members over banned books, CRT, and masks.

Reactions: ThorneStockton
Holy hell, yes, trophy buck hunters. I should've known! Iowa isn't a flyover state after all, there's trophy buck hunters flocking to the state!

*fart noises*
It sounds to me that because there aren't a lot of things you enjoy doing in Iowa that you think no one does. That really isn't accurate.

WDT is right about Iowa being a hunting hot spot --- not just for deer, but also pheasant and waterfowl.

The Driftless Area has many trout streams, small rivers, forests, bluffs and other outdoor amenities people enjoy.

Today, there are actually two very large cruise boats docked in Davenport at the same time with around 400-plus tourists visiting our state:

308671156_5821907337819566_7449478350419877851_n.jpg

It sounds to me that because there aren't a lot of things you enjoy doing in Iowa that you think no one does. That really isn't accurate.

WDT is right about Iowa being a hunting hot spot --- not just for deer, but also pheasant and waterfowl.

The Driftless Area has many trout streams, small rivers, forests, bluffs and other outdoor amenities people enjoy.

Today, there are actually two very large cruise boats docked in Davenport at the same time with around 400-plus tourists visiting our state:

308671156_5821907337819566_7449478350419877851_n.jpg
We're still a flyover state, which is OK.

Des Moines is about as large a metro area that I think I'd like to live in, but my choice in that has nothing to do with fear and I don't run around calling myself an Alpha.

Would someone on the left please explain how this generalization about a specific race and genders is not racist?
I don't think generalizations are inherently racist. You see comedians pull it off all the time, for example.

Understandably... people are more touchy about generalizations about black individuals given our history there.

I grew up in Iowa and moved down to South Florida when I was 22. I’ve been down here for 21 years. Through those years I wouldn’t want to live anywhere but the city. Flying back to Iowa felt boring because there frankly wasn’t much to do.
At 43, im ready to move back to rural Iowa. You just grow tired of the nasty people and the traffic. I appreciate the smell of fresh air and the sense of peace when being in Iowa.

My grandfather would say his favorite thing to do was to listen to the birds in the morning while drinking his coffee. I thought it was boring as hell when I was young but now I can’t wait.

CNN.com had a very long article on the crazy crime rates in Minneapolis post George Floyd.

is CNN moving towards the center or is it so bad in Minneapolis you can’t ignore it?

I only pop into Minneapolis for sports.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT