ADVERTISEMENT

The good news - the entire B1G West is trash

MeetTheFerentzes

HR All-American
Sep 6, 2022
Even with the worst offense in college football and the worst quarterback in college football history, Iowa might just be able to win the pillow fight. Every team is going to lose at least one game to the B1G East so really it’s all about head to head division play.

Just trying to cheer everyone up…

Even with the worst offense in college football and the worst quarterback in college football history, Iowa might just be able to win the pillow fight. Every team is going to lose at least one game to the B1G East so really it’s all about head to head division play.

Just trying to cheer everyone up…
The bad news, is we will likely finish at the bottom of the worst division of the P5 conferences.

the repeated graphics on the tv showing iowa is last in total o, last in rushing o, last in passing, last in 3rd down conversion was refreshing as hell. i mean it. at some point, it has to penetrate the braintrust that it is really that bad.

to op's point however, yes i agree that there is a chance that if the right teams in the west lose the right games :) we remain in the race for the west...

• Haha
Reactions: Rambler Hawk
If Iowa plays as well as they did today they will finish the conference 7-2 and play in the championship game. That’s where the Big Ten West is at.

Iowa is winning if the West if they win the game, the identity of which no one knows yet, that gives them the tiebreaker.
I think they’ll have to run the table in the west because Purdue might not lose again if we don’t beat them, and we will definitely lose to Ohio State. Honestly, Illinois looks very tough today and worry me more than the rest. I think this Iowa team will have the most trouble with teams that just lineup and run it because it’s harder to create fumbles than it is to get interceptions against pass happy teams.

It’s frustrating as heck because if Iowa had just an average FCS offense they would win the division going away. The big problem is that the defense will be so gassed by November that teams like Purdue, Minnesota and Wisconsin will be able to move the ball a lot better than they should if we played in September.

That’s trash football.

Right. All of this Big Ten West futility would be great if we’d somehow pulled off a W today. I think we lose at IL and Purdue. WI won’t be easy even with them sucking and that being a home game. We’ll obviously get destroyed at tOSU.

I only have probable W’s for NW and NE. I think this squad will be lucky to finish over .500, thanks to a complete embarrassment of an offense. I’m not big on calling for coaches’ jobs, but Brian Ferentz needs to find another place to work. It. Isn’t. Working.

Reactions: HawkBall23
This loss is not on Petras. He looked better todaythan he has all year. That doesn’t say much but he was not the reason they lost. fantom penalties hurt us and our right tackle was terrible at the end
He had help, but he missed wide open receivers in key situations, killing drives, and his complete and total lack of mobility and horrendous pocket presence led to far more sacks than we should have taken. He definitely did his part.

He had help, but he missed wide open receivers in key situations, killing drives, and his complete and total lack of mobility and horrendous pocket presence led to far more sacks than we should have taken. He definitely did his part.
Pretty tough To have good pocket presence when at times it looked like some on the offensive line were blocking like a touch football game.

Man — lots of unwarranted optimism around here. Iowa isn’t winning the West, folks. We’re the 4th or 5th best team in the division. We were extremely fortunate to win it last year without an offense, and we’ve accomplished the unimaginable and actually gotten WORSE on offense this year. We can’t score enough to beat any Big Ten team with a pulse. I think bowl eligibility is still in question with this group. The BTCG is off the table as far as I’m concerned. Hold out hope if you want, but I think it’s beyond futile.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
Pretty tough To have good pocket presence when at times it looked like some on the offensive line were blocking like a touch football game.
Of course our OL is awful. I’m not debating that. But even an average QB can elude a rush now and then. With Petras, if an OL misses an assignment it’s a guaranteed sack. That absolutely kills an offense, and it’s a big reason why ours can’t sustain drives with any regularity at all.

Man — lots of unwarranted optimism around here. Iowa isn’t winning the West, folks. We’re the 4th or 5th best team in the division. We were extremely fortunate to win it last year without an offense, and we’ve accomplished the unimaginable and actually gotten WORSE on offense this year. We can’t score enough to beat any Big Ten team with a pulse. I think bowl eligibility is still in question with this group. The BTCG is off the table as far as I’m concerned. Hold out hope if you want, but I think it’s beyond futile.
I could see a losing record with the crap show of an offense Kirk has assembled.

To be honest I think saying that Iowa can win the West is simply a rational statement.

Our team is flawed as hell but if you think there's no path to Iowa winning the West, you're either not recognizing how bad the division is as a whole this year or falling into the same trap of pessimism you see on this board after every loss.

Take last year. This board was littered with takes that we weren't going to win another game after the back-to-back Purdue/Wisconsin embarrassments, and you would've been laughed out of the room if you said Iowa was gonna win the West. And yet they finished 4-0 and did just that.

Our offense makes me want to throw up in my mouth sometimes but I think Iowa's chances of getting to Indy are on par with anyone else in this weak division.

To be honest I think saying that Iowa can win the West is simply a rational statement.

Our team is flawed as hell but if you think there's no path to Iowa winning the West, you're either not recognizing how bad the division is as a whole this year or falling into the same trap of pessimism you see on this board after every loss.

Take last year. This board was littered with takes that we weren't going to win another game after the back-to-back Purdue/Wisconsin embarrassments, and you would've been laughed out of the room if you said Iowa was gonna win the West. And yet they finished 4-0 and did just that.

Our offense makes me want to throw up in my mouth sometimes but I think Iowa's chances of getting to Indy are on par with anyone else in this weak division.
To me it’s wishful thinking to expect a team with this absolute %#$& show of an offense to finish ahead of MN, Purdue, IL, and WI. We may finish ahead one or two, but I find it extremely unlikely that we finish ahead of all 4, especially considering our schedule relative to theirs.

tOSU is an automatic blowout loss. We’re starting at 2 B10 losses. There’s very little margin for error already. We simply don’t have the capability on offense to nearly run the table apart from those two losses, which we’d have to do.

And while the West is bad, I think Purdue, MN, and IL are actually pretty good. We have road games at all 3. I’ll happily eat crow if we win it, but there would have to be a historic turnaround on offense for that to happen, and nearly halfway through the season it has yet to happen. I don’t see any way that it happens this season.

I’m all for optimism, but I only base it on reality. We’ve seen no factual basis for optimism about this offense.

whoever wins the west is going to get boat raced in the big ten title game worse than Iowa did last year. Ohio State and Michigan are much better than any team in the west
Michigan just won by 13 against what many on here are saying is at best the fifth best team in the west. If the game showed anything today it’s that the conference better hope Ohio State makes the playoff and is significantly better than Michigan or the Big will get “boat raced” in the playoff.

To me it’s wishful thinking to expect a team with this absolute %#$& show of an offense to finish ahead of MN, Purdue, IL, and WI. We may finish ahead one or two, but I find it extremely unlikely that we finish ahead of all 4, especially considering our schedule relative to theirs.

tOSU is an automatic blowout loss. We’re starting at 2 B10 losses. There’s very little margin for error already. We simply don’t have the capability on offense to nearly run the table apart from those two losses, which we’d have to do.

And while the West is bad, I think Purdue, MN, and IL are actually pretty good. We have road games at all 3. I’ll happily eat crow if we win it, but there would have to be a historic turnaround on offense for that to happen, and nearly halfway through the season it has yet to happen. I don’t see any way that it happens this season.

I’m all for optimism, but I only base it on reality. We’ve seen no factual basis for optimism about this offense.
What part of reality is this based on? Iowa was within scoring distance with 6 minutes left in the 4th that would have made it 14-20. I get the negativity, but seriously the offensive line looked decent in pass protection throughout the 1st half at the bare minimum.

This loss is not on Petras. He looked better todaythan he has all year. That doesn’t say much but he was not the reason they lost. fantom penalties hurt us and our right tackle was terrible at the end
He did look better but he also continues to miss the layups. Overshooting wide open guys (which are rare with this offense) doesn't help anything.

Michigan just won by 13 against what many on here are saying is at best the fifth best team in the west. If the game showed anything today it’s that the conference better hope Ohio State makes the playoff and is significantly better than Michigan or the Big will get “boat raced” in the playoff.
Garbage points

whoever wins the west is going to get boat raced in the big ten title game worse than Iowa did last year. Ohio State and Michigan are much better than any team in the west
I have admittedly not seen much of OSU, but I don't see Michigan beating them in the Shoe...

Even IF this team backs it’s way through the pillow fight….is winning the west and losing by three or four touchdowns to OSU again an accomplishment?

How in the hell would any of us know? Are you a college QB? Do you know what his reads are? Asking for a friend.
Lol, did you see any open WR/TE on the passes he made....asking for another poster that has zero idea what he is generally talking about...keep going

He did look better but he also continues to miss the layups. Overshooting wide open guys (which are rare with this offense) doesn't help anything.
That’s the thing about Petras. He can be brilliant at times and then absolutely atrocious at others. I’ve never seen such dramatic inconsistency from a QB.

The seam route to Lachey was an NFL-caliber throw. Right in stride, just over the LB. Perfect.

And earlier he had Lachey down the seam, ALL ALONE, to see us up around the MI 15, and he throws a completely uncatchable ball.

I’m sure the occasional good throw keeps him from getting the hook, but the many missed “layups” and compete lack of mobility should have gotten him benched games ago.

If I’m Padilla, I’m gone.

Reactions: BurgHawk87
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT