ADVERTISEMENT

The greens of Pinehurst #2 remind me of…

joelbc1

HR King
Gold Member
Sep 5, 2007
you can’t always get what you want!
The greens I learned to play golf on! Elevated greens, lots of false fronts and severely sloping sides…good shots would turn to shit in a heartbeat! The course now has completely rebuilt and replaced every green making them more conventional and much easier to navigate.
The winner of this tourney is going to have to be one patient sumbitch! He will be tested before the tournament is done.

They are referred to as hog backs. That seems to be a favorite design in NC. I haven't played #2, but have played a couple of other Pinehurst courses.

The greens I learned to play golf on! Elevated greens, lots of false fronts and severely sloping sides…good shots would turn to shit in a heartbeat! The course now has completely rebuilt and replaced every green making them more conventional and much easier to navigate.
The winner of this tourney is going to have to be one patient sumbitch! He will be tested before the tournament is done.

200w.gif

It's the U.S. Open.

Honestly, there's really nothing quite like them. My home course/club was originally laid out by Ross, and the greens have some of the features of #2, but it's not even close. I've played most of the Pinehurst courses, including #2 a couple of times. Just sort of not to be believed. Worse yet, as a guy who loves to bump and run, which you'd think would make sense, the turfgrass on the green surrounds there just grabs the low balls and precludes.

That said, 13-18 at #2 may be one of my favorite finishing stretches in golf. still one of the most memorable holes I've played was the par 3 #15 (the upside down bowl). Put it on the front side of the green and sank a 40 footer for birdie.

A buddy has a place there and we've played a mini-tournament of sorts there every couple of years over three days. One year, they were promoting the us amateur and had the trophy at the first tee of #2 when we were starting our round. We asked the usga guy whether we could take a picture of our trophy next to his. Not thinking, he said, "sure." He was not happy when he saw our trophy...i seem to recall the word "disparagement" coming up.

Last edited:

Was this the Old Pro mini golf in Ocean City?

Reactions: CarolinaHawkeye
Was this the Old Pro mini golf in Ocean City?
No, just a small town Ioway 9 hole golf course….an old corn field with old push-up greens….but now all those old greens are gone…..the greens are twice as big and much flatter and only 1 has a false front on it any more…..But those old elevated greens were mothers come July and August when the “hot, dry summers’ arrived…..Not so much with the weddgers and #9 ironies…..but a. Whole lot more of “bump and runs” with those 7 ands 8 irons….

No, just a small town Ioway 9 hole golf course….an old corn field with old push-up greens….but now all those old greens are gone…..the greens are twice as big and much flatter and only 1 has a false front on it any more…..But those old elevated greens were mothers come July and August when the “hot, dry summers’ arrived…..Not so much with the weddgers and #9 ironies…..but a. Whole lot more of “bump and runs” with those 7 ands 8 irons….
Pella....each hole was shaped like a Dutch letter.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT