ADVERTISEMENT

I've been telling you people that this ain't ready for prime time: Tesla recalls nearly ALL of its vehicles....

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
New YorkCNN —
Tesla is recalling nearly all 2 million of its cars on US roads to limit the use of its Autopilot feature following a two-year probe by US safety regulators of roughly 1,000 crashes in which the feature was engaged.

The limitations on Autopilot serve as a blow to Tesla’s efforts to market its vehicles to buyers willing to pay extra to have their cars do the driving for them.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said the Autopilot system can give drivers a false sense of security and be easily misused in certain dangerous situations when a Tesla’s technology may be unable to safely navigate the road. The over-the-air software update will give Tesla drivers more warnings when they are not paying attention to the road while the Autopilot’s “Autosteer” function is turned on. Those notifications will remind drivers to keep their hands on the wheel and pay attention to the road, according to a statement from NHTSA

After the recall, Teslas with Autosteer turned on will more routinely check on the driver’s attention level – and may disengage the feature – when the software determines the driver isn’t paying attention, when the car is approaching traffic controls, or when it’s off the highway when Autosteer alone isn’t sufficient to drive the car.

The recall was disclosed in a letter to Tesla posted by NHTSA, which said that Tesla had agreed to the software update starting on Tuesday that will limit the use of the Autosteer feature if a driver repeatedly fails to demonstrate he or she is ready to resume control of the car while the feature is on.

Yikes!

I posted this jack off material for you already Trad. You going for round two? Double up on the lube.

Have always thought that until all cars had that feature, it would be less than helpful for ones that did due to all the variables on the road.

It’s a software update, dude.

I think Tesla screwed up calling it autopilot and full self-driving. They should be fined or made to give rebates. That said, it’s not like the cars are unsafe or unreliable.
It was Elon who said it, and that little “screw up” from an irresponsible braggart, ended up killing people.

The over-the-air software update will give Tesla drivers more warnings when they are not paying attention to the road while the Autopilot’s “Autosteer” function is turned on. Those notifications will remind drivers to keep their hands on the wheel and pay attention to the road, according to a statement from NHTSA
So, here's a cool autopilot feature, but it's pretty useless because you have to keep your hands on the wheel. What the heck is the point?

Been a rough stretch for old Eloon. That's a shame.

Software update?

R.9e0ecfc1180a808cc6a2a9045685e724

It’s a software update, dude.

I think Tesla screwed up calling it autopilot and full self-driving. They should be fined or made to give rebates. That said, it’s not like the cars are unsafe or unreliable.
It's not the technology that's so bad, it's just that people who drive Teslas for the self-driving feature are douchebag morons.

Reactions: TennNole17
Ah, is that all it is?
No

Basic Autopilot is cruise control, plus keeps your lane smoothly, plus reduces speed when approaching a vehicle ahead of you in the same lane to the speed of traffic.

What it won’t do is avoid all accidents when other drivers crash into your car and it won't brake when you intentionally accelerate overriding the software.

Time and time and time again, autopilot accidents are proven to be driver error. In court, by crash experts, by drivers own admission. Over and over.

Reactions: peacehawk
Basic Autopilot is cruise control, plus keeps your lane smoothly, plus reduces speed when approaching a vehicle ahead of you in the same lane to the speed of traffic.

What it won’t do is avoid all accidents when other drivers crash into your car and it won't brake when you intentionally accelerate overriding the software.

Time and time and time again, autopilot accidents are proven to be driver error. In court, by crash experts, by drivers own admission. Over and over.
Ah, and that minor feature costs $5-6k? You know it was billed as much more.

In any event, would you agree that autopilot is a dumb name?

• Haha

Any good technical solution for any problem must account for user error.

Tesla didn't do that.

• Haha
Reactions: Kelsers
Any good technical solution for any problem must account for user error.

Tesla didn't do that.

Then why do cars crash every day by the thousands? Teslas have the fewest crashes with the fewest deaths with the most active safety features, bar none.

Give as many ignorant ass takes as you want. The data doesn’t care about your feelings.

Ah, and that minor feature costs $5-6k? You know it was billed as much more.

In any event, would you agree that autopilot is a dumb name?

No, I would not. As by definition it is very apt and accurate.

“An autopilot is a system used to control the path of an aircraft, marine craft or spacecraft without requiring constant manual control by a human operator. Autopilots do not replace human operators. Instead, the autopilot assists the operator's control of the vehicle, allowing the operator to focus on broader aspects of operations (for example, monitoring the trajectory, weather and on-board systems).[1]

However, it is easily misinterpreted by dumb human beings to believe it controls more of the vehicle than it states. I also believe strongly it is a very convenient excuse to make post accident to deflect blame. Humans do this reflexively.

No, I would not. As by definition it is very apt and accurate.

“An autopilot is a system used to control the path of an aircraft, marine craft or spacecraft without requiring constant manual control by a human operator. Autopilots do not replace human operators. Instead, the autopilot assists the operator's control of the vehicle, allowing the operator to focus on broader aspects of operations (for example, monitoring the trajectory, weather and on-board systems).[1]

However, it is easily misinterpreted by dumb human beings to believe it controls more of the vehicle than it states. I also believe strongly it is a very convenient excuse to make post accident to deflect blame. Humans do this reflexively.
Come on. Even that Wikipedia definition is exactly opposite of what Tesla requires:

Before using Autopilot, please read your Owner's Manual for instructions and more safety information. While using Autopilot, it is your responsibility to stay alert, keep your hands on the steering wheel at all times and maintain control of your car. Many of our Autopilot features, like Autosteer, Navigate on Autopilot and Summon, are disabled by default. To enable them, you must go to the Autopilot Controls menu within the Settings tab and turn them on.
Before enabling Autopilot, the driver first needs to agree to “keep your hands on the steering wheel at all times” and to always “maintain control and responsibility for your vehicle.” Subsequently, every time the driver engages Autopilot, they are shown a visual reminder to “keep your hands on the wheel

Musk probably came up with it to justify charging thousands more.

Look, I think Teslas are pretty cool. I was thinking about one for my next vehicle until Musk went off the deep end. But maybe someday still.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
Come on. Even that Wikipedia definition is exactly opposite of what Tesla requires:

Before using Autopilot, please read your Owner's Manual for instructions and more safety information. While using Autopilot, it is your responsibility to stay alert, keep your hands on the steering wheel at all times and maintain control of your car. Many of our Autopilot features, like Autosteer, Navigate on Autopilot and Summon, are disabled by default. To enable them, you must go to the Autopilot Controls menu within the Settings tab and turn them on.
Before enabling Autopilot, the driver first needs to agree to “keep your hands on the steering wheel at all times” and to always “maintain control and responsibility for your vehicle.” Subsequently, every time the driver engages Autopilot, they are shown a visual reminder to “keep your hands on the wheel

Musk probably came up with it to justify charging thousands more.

Look, I think Teslas are pretty cool. I was thinking about one for my next vehicle until Musk went off the deep end. But maybe someday still.

Basic autopilot is free. It works great.

These disclaimers are attempting to inform stupid people they still need to operate the vehicle. The liability is on them. They are simply trying to make this clear. The NHTSA requires them to make it painfully obvious and blatant.

Autopilot maintains speed, like cruise control, plus maintains your lane, and slows down if a vehicle ahead of you slows down to match their speed. That’s it.

Basic autopilot is free. It works great.

These disclaimers are attempting to inform stupid people they still need to operate the vehicle. The liability is on them. They are simply trying to make this clear. The NHTSA requires them to make it painfully obvious and blatant.

Autopilot maintains speed, like cruise control, plus maintains your lane, and slows down if a vehicle ahead of you slows down to match their speed. That’s it.
I can’t reason with you. Autopilot is a dumb name. It has a meaning that is beyond what it can and should do. People are also dumb. It should be changed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT