ADVERTISEMENT

The Hawks point total record is in jeopardy.

After trying to do some very rough math with 1997 scores using today’s rules. Example 8-4 match being 4 take downs 4 escapes in today’s rules would be 12-4 thus a major decision. Iowa would have had 10 more team points in 1997. Obviously, we don’t know how points were scored but just showing how same amount of scoring moves in 1997 is less in the match score versus the new rules. Now it’s a major decision for the same amount of scoring moves
and more team points. But again, different rules, transfer portal, NIL, COVID. Not apples to apples

If PSU tops 170, then they've earned the record. The record is called "Most Team Points in the NCAA Wrestling Tournament", not "Most Team Points in the NCAA Wrestling Tournament under 1997 Rules"
It will be called “Most Team Points in the NCAA Wrestling Tournament During the Points Inflation Era”.

Can’t compare eras without doing a bunch of math, and no one wants that. Just separate them by eras.

Reactions: fourbyfour69
If the program is more worried about the record (which I don’t think they are) than the points gap between first and second place, NCAA wrestling as a competitive sport is finished. What really amazes me, and has for several years, is how Penn State has been dominant for so long, but everyone outside of Iowa still views them and Cael as the good guys, and they are honored to get beat by them. Usually, like Iowa in the 80s and 90s, when you dominate a sport, the rest of the sport grows to hate you. Hopefully the program does anything it takes to get back on top.
What? Are you even paying attention? Half that arena in KC erupted when Davis lost to Volk in the blood round. You know...that huge Wyoming fan base that showed up 😂

No. Sanderson is Saban and Dan is Bear.

One is no better than the other. One was the greatest in the OLD era and one is the greatest in the MODERN era.

Sheesh 😂
One only wanted to dominate the sport.

The other wanted to show people how it could be dominated.

Gable > Sanderson

Take your L.

• Haha
Reactions: Psubiomed
playing devils advocate here....does Clark get an asterisk next to her name when it comes to the all time scoring record since Pistol Pete played with different rules/setups?.....iowa fans should tread lightly on wanting records with an asterisk

It really doesn't need an asterisk, they aren't even in the same record book. The men's book isn't going to list Clark, and the women's record isn't going to list Maravich. Clark beating a man's total isn't really a record of any kind, just people playing with numbers to make an interesting story. A Clark-Swoopes comparison might be more apt. Clark scored the most points in an NCAA tourney last year in six games, while Swoopes averaged more per game in 1993 back when the top seeds could only play five. Two different records.

Reactions: GlenHawk
NCAA finals basically a come to PSU showcase and look what you can do. This team is amazing. I hate to say but but damn you can’t deny what just happened. I said it earlier in the year this is the best team im ever seen. You have to take your hat off to this squad. Dang they have some studs. Good thing they lose two four timers and three champs next year I think?

NCAA finals basically a come to PSU showcase and look what you can do. This team is amazing. I hate to say but but damn you can’t deny what just happened. I said it earlier in the year this is the best team im ever seen. You have to take your hat off to this squad. Dang they have some studs. Good thing they lose two four timers and three champs next year I think?
The level of talent they have is incredible! They lost a returning 3rd place finisher to an ACL injury before the season and his true freshman replacement stepped in and finished 3rd.

I know they have some studs waiting in the wings and they will have the pick of the litter in the portal, so expect another loaded PSU team next year.

It's a different record with different rules. Even just re-scoring Iowa's 170 by current placement and advancement scoring and they had 171.5 without whatever extra they'd have gotten with 3 point takedowns. It will be weird if they do break it by a point or two, but then NCAA reverts back to 2 point takedowns again so it wouldn't likely ever be broken. Everybody that's a fan pre-2011 will recognize the difference, doesn't need an official asterisk, and PSU fans will think it's important as Cael tries to match Gable. I honestly didn't think it would make a big difference, but then a match like Mess and Caliendo turned into an 8 point major and a bonus point, rather than the 8-3 type match it really would've been previously where it wasn't close to a bonus nor felt that convincing. There just wasn't much chance of a major with two point takedowns if you gave one up yourself and still won unless you got some backpoints along the way. Now you just win the takedown battle by two and get riding time and you almost have it. Stalling point, penalty point, back points, anything else and it's a major. Just feels like you should at least need three more takedowns than someone to be that convincing of a win.
Didn't caliendo get a td or 2?? Take 2 points off of him.

The level of talent they have is incredible! They lost a returning 3rd place finisher to an ACL injury before the season and his true freshman replacement stepped in and finished 3rd.

I know they have some studs waiting in the wings and they will have the pick of the litter in the portal, so expect another loaded PSU team next year.

Yep.... And our plan is to keep treading water and hopefully keep our ONE wrestler to the finals streak alive. As PSU gets 6+ in the finals.

PUKE

If all their COVID guys come back next year they should have a decent shot at challenging the record again considering Nagao didn't do much and Starocci got no bonus (provided the NCAA sticks with the 3 point takedown obviously). But that also blocks some of their young guys and wastes a year of their eligibility which is the big drawback for the freebie years in all sports. Then we'll see in 2026 if they finally have a year they go for five instead of punting. As good as a job recruiting as they've done that's still to be proven they could put a champion team together with a "down" team. Of course that was before NIL so they could bring in a Truex-type to fill in for one year. I'm guessing Cael wants to go for it because if we throw out 2020 as a year they didn't lose, though they obviously were going to, Cael needs another four straight to match Gable with 15 in 21 years. But the Hawks are set up pretty nice for 2026 if their recruits pan out the way we expect (and nothing from Arnold and Kueter this year made me think they won't) and Ayala and Caliendo (maybe Kennedy too when that shakes out) as seniors. And AJ Ferrari still a question mark, but won't hold my breath. Hawks could be the team with four finalists again pretty quickly.

Yep.... And our plan is to keep treading water and hopefully keep our ONE wrestler to the finals streak alive. As PSU gets 6+ in the finals.

PUKE
B-I-N-G-O. The Hawk now walk away with the satisfaction that they have a finalist. Meanwhile, the lion will sleep tonight.
100 points

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Vic Vaselino

And to make it even worse, the returner had taken 3rd last year after a parting of the seas for him. The replacement took 3rd by winning 7 matches in a row. That’s no fluke, he will be another Haines-like stud for years.

Stop fawning over them. (I don't give a f*** how factual any of it is........)

You're welcome.

Reactions: 12tdsaw

PUKE
And PSU wins the majority of those finals matches. Good job Drake for having a great tournament overall and keeping that streak alive. But Iowa hasn't had a champ not named Spencer Lee since 2017 - Cory Clark. Quickly approaching a decade. Completely unacceptable.

Reactions: kjb32812 and MVPFAN
Meh. 1997 Iowa had more champs and the same number of finalists and all Americans.

Again, congrats to PSU on scoring the most team points in tournament history.

Reactions: Pakman770 and Hwt1
After trying to do some very rough math with 1997 scores using today’s rules. Example 8-4 match being 4 take downs 4 escapes in today’s rules would be 12-4 thus a major decision. Iowa would have had 10 more team points in 1997. Obviously, we don’t know how points were scored but just showing how same amount of scoring moves in 1997 is less in the match score versus the new rules. Now it’s a major decision for the same amount of scoring moves
and more team points. But again, different rules, transfer portal, NIL, COVID. Not apples to apples
Lots have rules have changed since ‘97, not just takedown points. Replay, stalling, near fall, reaction time, hands to the face, head gear throwing, gear you can wear, concussion protocol, injury time, bricks, out of bounds, hair, facial hair…Penn State broke the record

It will be called “Most Team Points in the NCAA Wrestling Tournament During the Points Inflation Era”.

Can’t compare eras without doing a bunch of math, and no one wants that. Just separate them by eras.
We did very quick math. Any match Iowa had in 97 that was 1-2 points from a major or tech fall we gave those higher team points to Iowa just figuring 1 of the takedowns was 3 pts. That gave Iowa 10 extra team points.

If my aunt had balls she would be my uncle

Correct. And if (since) they changed the rules resulting in identical match outcomes leading to different points totals, it makes records compared across time periods obsolete/not apples to apples. Your quip just corroborates the asterisk.

So do you suppose the new scoring had anything to do with 1200+ more TF’s this year vs last year, let alone if the mentioned how many more majors there were. Do you really think the new scoring didn’t affect match scores, dual meet scores and tournament scores? I guess the PSU trolls’s aunt does have balls and is his uncle.

Reactions: GlenHawk
And to make it even worse, the returner had taken 3rd last year after a parting of the seas for him. The replacement took 3rd by winning 7 matches in a row. That’s no fluke, he will be another Haines-like stud for years.
And a Freshman wrestling up a weight, don't forget

What's interesting, if the new scoring inflated Penn State's total, is why it had no similar effect on the teams finishing 2nd or 3rd. Cornell, in 2nd place tonight, had 72.5. In 1997, when Iowa set the record, 2nd place Oklahoma State had 113.5.
Never said it didn’t increase the scores of the other teams similarly. I will accept the teams in 2-5 were not as strong probably as 2-5 in 1997. I am not disputing the margin just how the total was accumulated using the new scoring that increased the majors and TF’s and thus team scores

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT