ADVERTISEMENT

The Hill: GOP senators are skeptical damaged Trump can win in 2024

Colonoscopy

HR Legend
Feb 20, 2022
Saint Louis, Mo
Anonymous pussy-ass Republican senator says:

“I could count on one hand the number of Republican senators who want Donald Trump to be our nominee,” said the lawmaker, adding, “I could count it on one finger.”

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
Is it just me or is Ted Cruz turning into a fat mouse? Imagine popping those ears out a bit and throwing on a tail, you're getting damned close.

e93df93b-f95d-4f61-af75-583f3c51cb08-large16x9_GettyImages1231326659.jpg

Reactions: soybean
I doubt most of the senators wanted him in 2016 either. Trump emasculated several on the campaign trail. He ran several of their colleagues out of office. Constantly put them in a position to defend nastiness and absurdities or face the MAGA wrath.

The senators are largely highly educated and intelligent, they'll play the part but they aren't genuinely a part of the hyper agrrieved deplorable base.

That said, these are people who had plenty of chances to do something about it. They deserve the Trump stain, the rest of us don't.

This sounds like an op more than a story. I'm fine with whatever messaging that Republican leaders want to send out there to try to influence Trump to stay out.

But make no mistake, Democrats and allies in the media are going to dump a lot of money and digital ink behind Trump and propping up Trump. That's their m.o. now...they're making up nearly all the campaign funding of some super-MAGA Republican challengers in primaries.

We're about to enter, if not already in, a weird phase where Democrat money and messaging will be boosting Trump's power, commanding lead, and virility, while Republican com ops highlight his likelihood to lose and potentially be embarrassed. Healthy, fun times in American politics.

I doubt most of the senators wanted him in 2016 either. Trump emasculated several on the campaign trail. He ran several of their colleagues out of office. Constantly put them in a position to defend nastiness and absurdities or face the MAGA wrath.

The senators are largely highly educated and intelligent, they'll play the part but they aren't genuinely a part of the hyper agrrieved deplorable base.

That said, these are people who had plenty of chances to do something about it. They deserve the Trump stain, the rest of us don't.

If they had convicted him in the senate after Jan 6th they could have been done with the man because he wouldn't be allowed to run for office again.

But they showed extreme cowardice.

Question for OP. Is “anonymous pussy ass Senator” a vagina for not calling out Trump publicly or because he’s calling out Trump?

I honestly thought the GOP would thrown Trump into the dustbin of history as soon as he lost the election. I cannot believe how badly I over-estimated the party.

As to the OP, Trump garnered 3-million less votes than a strong opponent in Clinton. He then received 7-million less votes than a week opponent in Biden. How could anyone not be skeptical of his ability to win in 2024? Yes, the electoral college being what it is, there is always a chance. But it's hard to imagine anyone who things he is the GOP's best candidate.

Question for OP. Is “anonymous pussy ass Senator” a vagina for not calling out Trump publicly or because he’s calling out Trump?

IMO, he is a vagina for not calling out Trump publicly. The party right now is about 45% idiots and 45% pussies; with maybe 10% willing to stand up to him. Thought 10% is generous.

Last edited:
I kinda/sorta hope Trump runs in 2024. He may be Joe's best chance.

Maybe. But its also possible that by Trump running and losing again in 2024 it might finally be the death knell for his cult, and all of the other associated bullshit.

I doubt it. His cult thinks he had the election stolen from him when he and his side had all the levers of power. Do you really think them losing a 2nd time with Biden as the incumbent president is going to make them think "Maybe that loss was legit."

Maybe. But its also possible that by Trump running and losing again in 2024 it might finally be the death knell for his cult, and all of the other associated bullshit.

If he loses, the chaos that we saw in 2020 will be mild by comparison. I fear for our country, because he will whip his base into a frenzy, and with all of the toss-up states controlled by GOP loonies there will absolutely be states that reject the vote and send GOP electors.

On the other hand, if he is not their candidate it means he either lost in the primary, died, or chose not to run. Losing or dying are the best scenarios, but even choosing not to run should render his cult insignificant.

There is no good outcome if he is their nominee.

I honestly thought the GOP would thrown Trump into the dustbin of history as soon as he lost the election. I cannot believe how badly I over-estimated the party.

As to the OP, Trump garnered 3-million less votes than a strong opponent in Clinton. He then received 7-million less votes than a week opponent in Biden. How could anyone not be skeptical of his ability to win in 2024? Yes, the electoral college being what it is, there is always a chance. But it's hard to imagine anyone who things he is the GOP's best candidate.

Nobody who cares about winning or actual political goals thinks Trump is the GOP's best candidate.

The problem is that there is a huge swath of Republican voters that don't really care about winning or even enforcing policies, what they care most about is kicking their perceived cultural enemies in the teeth as hard and as often as they can. And then there is an entire grifter ecosystem around Trump that is vitally invested in maintaining the gravy train as long as possible.

There is the same tendency on the left, see all the people crying to primary Manchin in West Virginia, or demanding that he and Sinema be stripped of committee positions for the sin of supporting Biden's agenda only 90% of the time, without regard to the fact that they would caucus with Republicans and hand majority in the Senate to the GOP. Luckily, it hasn't yet coalesced into the kind of organized self-destructive movement that it has in the Republican party.

But the less people actually care about winning, governing or getting policies actually enacted, the more the most chaotic and belligerent will thrive. Republican leadership seems relatively incapable of navigating themselves out of this at the moment.

Reactions: seminoleed
If he loses, the chaos that we saw in 2020 will be mild by comparison. I fear for our country, because he will whip his base into a frenzy, and with all of the toss-up states controlled by GOP loonies there will absolutely be states that reject the vote and send GOP electors.

On the other hand, if he is not their candidate it means he either lost in the primary, died, or chose not to run. Losing or dying are the best scenarios, but even choosing not to run should render his cult insignificant.

There is no good outcome if he is their nominee.

I disagree with the first paragraph pretty strongly. To believe this you'd have to believe he was somehow GROWING in power and strength and following since he was actually the sitting president. That his following is getting stronger, his base is larger, etc. That he'd be able to mobilize more people now than when he was president. There is just no evidence of this....this feels like it is getting into boogeyman territory. More Republicans want him to not run than ever before. Fewer Republicans in power are invoking his name or defending his stolen election lies, and almost none of the most prominent and powerful ones.

However, I agree with the second two points very strongly.

I disagree with the first paragraph pretty strongly. To believe this you'd have to believe he was somehow GROWING in power and strength and following since he was actually the sitting president. That his following is getting stronger, his base is larger, etc. That he'd be able to mobilize more people now than when he was president. There is just no evidence of this....this feels like it is getting into boogeyman territory. More Republicans want him to not run than ever before. Fewer Republicans in power are invoking his name or defending his stolen election lies, and almost none of the most prominent and powerful ones.

However, I agree with the second two points very strongly.

He does not need more followers in total, he needs more who are enthused enough to create chaos. The Big Lie has absolutely gained momentum among his followers. Hell, more than half the GOP believes the election was stolen.

More importantly, his followers are consolidating power in state legislatures; which is where the real problem occurs. Several have already changed their laws to give more power to the fanatics to overturn that state's election results. Also, last year it caught everyone by surprise. Trump's attempt was ad-hoc and did not have time to build meaningful momentum. Now these states have four years to organize their efforts to overturn the election if needed. If Trump is their candidate and loses the election, at least one state legislature will overturn their results. Probably multiple. It will be far, far worse than last time.

It is naïve not to recognize this.

He does not need more followers in total, he needs more who are enthused enough to create chaos. The Big Lie has absolutely gained momentum among his followers. Hell, more than half the GOP believes the election was stolen.

More importantly, his followers are consolidating power in state legislatures; which is where the real problem occurs. Several have already changed their laws to give more power to the fanatics to overturn that state's election results. Also, last year it caught everyone by surprise. Trump's attempt was ad-hoc and did not have time to build meaningful momentum. Now these states have four years to organize their efforts to overturn the election if needed. If Trump is their candidate and loses the election, at least one state legislature will overturn their results. Probably multiple. It will be far, far worse than last time.

It is naïve not to recognize this.

I agree that a lot of the state legislatures are more MAGA enthused than the national party, and it could be problematic. But I still don't agree. I don't think you will see the same kind of politically cynical embrace of Trump's election lie at the national level that you had before Jan 6, and that will take a lot of steam out of it. I still think he's fading, not getting stronger. I mean, he's losing Fox News at this point.

That said, paradoxically, as his "movement" or whatever you want to call it loses steam, I do think the odds of nasty violence by his supporters goes up, and we could see some further ugly incidents as they feel less and less actual influence in the party.

But overall, I agree with you that it would be a very bad thing for him to be the nominee again.

Reactions: cigaretteman
I agree that a lot of the state legislatures are more MAGA enthused than the national party, and it could be problematic. But I still don't agree. I don't think you will see the same kind of politically cynical embrace of Trump's election lie at the national level that you had before Jan 6, and that will take a lot of steam out of it. I still think he's fading, not getting stronger. I mean, he's losing Fox News at this point.

That said, paradoxically, as his "movement" or whatever you want to call it loses steam, I do think the odds of nasty violence by his supporters goes up, and we could see some further ugly incidents as they feel less and less actual influence in the party.

But overall, I agree with you that it would be a very bad thing for him to be the nominee again.

I guess I never did see the Big Lie as ever having national traction. It was in state houses that things got dangerous. And it is these state houses where I believe things are set to be worse next time. It doesn’t matter if 80% of Americans know Trump lost. All you need are a few hundred diehard state players to swing the election.

Not only did Trump lose the general election by a record vote margin but he handed Georgia to the Democrats for the first time in three decades and Arizona voted Democratic for the first time since 1996.

In Georgia, Trump made matters even worse for Republicans. GOP Senators Perdue and Loeffler, both incumbents, were dragged down to defeat by Trump. Ossoff became the first Jewish senator from Georgia and the youngest Senate member. Warnock became the firs black senator in Georgia's history. Most importantly, Trump handed control of the US Senate to the Democrats. That's quite an accomplishment!

Republican leaders are going to seriously regret not organizing and taking a stand to make a clean break with Trump after the 2020 election. They had many golden opportunities.

• Sad
Not only did Trump lose the general election by a record vote margin but he handed Georgia to the Democrats for the first time in three decades and Arizona voted Democratic for the first time since 1996.

In Georgia, Trump made matters even worse for Republicans. GOP Senators Perdue and Loeffler, both incumbents, were dragged down to defeat by Trump. Ossoff became the first Jewish senator from Georgia and the youngest Senate member. Warnock became the firs black senator in Georgia's history. Most importantly, Trump handed control of the US Senate to the Democrats. That's quite an accomplishment!

Republican leaders are going to seriously regret not organizing and taking a stand to make a clean break with Trump after the 2020 election. They had many golden opportunities.
The fact of the matter is none of you clowns have any idea how future elections are going to go, let alone who the candidates are.

As far as Republican leaders regret, it sure seems like the Dem's are doing anything and everything they can legally or otherwise to try and insure The Donald isn't able to run. Why wouldn't they just leave him be if defeating him is so easy? That would seem to be the proper course of action, but in true Libby fashion, say one thing and do another.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT