ADVERTISEMENT

The hot 2nd half Creighton start

So now you rate a teams strength by attendance? Hahaaaa.

Gonzaga which has actually won something is light years ahead of Creighton in basketball and their home court seats 6000.

I can give you other examples but hopefully you get it.
No please give me more of your wisdom. You seem to really know basketball.

Reactions: Bishop-71
Not sure why Tony can't come out playing aggressively, especially when he is matched up against a top player. It is like he needs to get embarrassed or get clearly outplayed, before his competitive side shows up. When he really starts to play, he is very good, but we need to have that happen a lot sooner.
There is a fine line between when Tony goes full out and when he is out of control.

Reactions: RocknRollface
I think its a combination of Fran not putting an emphasis that's needed on defense as well as the players knowing that if they pick up 2 fouls in the first half, they're done until after halftime.

Why try to stop someone defensively if it might result in missing a great deal of the opening half because the coach is terrified of his player picking up a 3rd foul before halftime?
I disagree. Lots of coaches have the "two foul jail" mentality - and I'm talking about legends like Coach K - and their teams get after it defensively. No doubt that defense is Fran's weakness as a coach but I don't buy the "two foul jail" as the reason why. I think it's a combination of personnel and how we deal with perimeter screens.

I think its a combination of Fran not putting an emphasis that's needed on defense as well as the players knowing that if they pick up 2 fouls in the first half, they're done until after halftime.

Why try to stop someone defensively if it might result in missing a great deal of the opening half because the coach is terrified of his player picking up a 3rd foul before halftime?
Do you watch any basketball besides Iowa? There are a lot of good coaches that apply the same "2 fouls and you sit" strategy. So many on here think McCaffery is the only coach that uses this practice. I think I've read somewhere that it's about 50/50. You may not agree with this practice, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's wrong. The one thing I will say is that I wish there were times that depending on the game situation, that he might adjust his view, but those situations would be rare and the game would have to be totally getting away from us.

Do you watch any basketball besides Iowa? There are a lot of good coaches that apply the same "2 fouls and you sit" strategy. So many on here think McCaffery is the only coach that uses this practice. I think I've read somewhere that it's about 50/50. You may not agree with this practice, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's wrong. The one thing I will say is that I wish there were times that depending on the game situation, that he might adjust his view, but those situations would be rare and the game would have to be totally getting away from us.
Even if Fran isn't the only coach who has a "2 foul jail" - and I obviously know he isn't - I still think it plays a part in how/why Iowa's defensive efforts are lacking when they are, especially in individual efforts.

Until we see a change in defensive philosophy/style, that is how I view the situation.

I agree we don'thave a star at guard spot that controls the game. Creighton does.

However, when opponent is shooting like that, you need a defensive answer and also need to slow things downs so you don't let their lead balloon. When you give up 92 points in regulation, I would venture you are going to lose most of the time.
Only Iowa is allowed to lose while scoring 92 pts in a game........

Reactions: RocknRollface
I disagree. Lots of coaches have the "two foul jail" mentality - and I'm talking about legends like Coach K - and their teams get after it defensively. No doubt that defense is Fran's weakness as a coach but I don't buy the "two foul jail" as the reason why. I think it's a combination of personnel and how we deal with perimeter screens.
That and you're not going to get on the floor without max effort on D at most of the top programs.

If a guy can score at Iowa he can play without effort on D and not lose any pt.

In fact, Fran encourages "not fouling" aka matador defense for his best scorers.

Reactions: HawkBall23
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT