ADVERTISEMENT

The importance of the Tigerhawk Logo on the Water Tower

The most important thing was that HF and the fans wanted it, and there was no good reason to not have it. It pissed people off.

Someone actually asked why it was necessary to do it during these times of tight university budgets???

It comes out of the very flush river of funds from the AD!

I believe that some people prefer to remain willfully ignorant just so they can bitch and moan.

Also, I think it looks perfect as is, no need to paint the tower all black.

When you see the Tigerhawk today, in any city, you think: The Iowa Hawkeyes.

Fry understood the importance of such branding early in his trail-blazing Iowa career.

In his book, “A High Porch Picnic,” Fry itemized one of his greatest coaching regrets.

“I always wanted to put the Tigerhawk on the big water tower across the street from Kinnick Stadium," he wrote, "but I never got it done. I thought it would look great on game day, in full view of 70,000 fans and all the television cameras. … A big Tigerhawk on that water tower would be wonderful exposure for Hawkeye athletics, which the logo has come to symbolize. Maybe we’ll get it done someday.”

Well, Coach: They got it done.

And it looks fantastic.

When you see the Tigerhawk today, in any city, you think: The Iowa Hawkeyes.

Fry understood the importance of such branding early in his trail-blazing Iowa career.

In his book, “A High Porch Picnic,” Fry itemized one of his greatest coaching regrets.

“I always wanted to put the Tigerhawk on the big water tower across the street from Kinnick Stadium," he wrote, "but I never got it done. I thought it would look great on game day, in full view of 70,000 fans and all the television cameras. … A big Tigerhawk on that water tower would be wonderful exposure for Hawkeye athletics, which the logo has come to symbolize. Maybe we’ll get it done someday.”

Well, Coach: They got it done.

And it looks fantastic.
This is a very nice post! I just want to point out Hawkeye heaven stole this post and put it on his Facebook page. They come here and steal our opinions and knowledge and pass it off as their own.. I really got mad finding out people where writing stories for them and they would change the name.

Reactions: Harbinger273
Painting the water tower has nothing to do with winning football, nothing!

This is a very nice post! I just want to point out Hawkeye heaven stole this post and put it on his Facebook page. They come here and steal our opinions and knowledge and pass it off as their own.. I really got mad finding out people where writing stories for them and they would change the name.

Bit of devil's advocate here, but are you saying Hawkeye Heaven cannot post quotes from the same book?

Bit of devil's advocate here, but are you saying Hawkeye Heaven cannot post quotes from the same book?
No they can. But watch their post, they post a lot of info that comes off of these boards.. and after looking into it hawkcentral posted this first so they actually prolly ripped it from there

Painting the water tower has nothing to do with winning football, nothing!
If it is the last influencer that causes a recruit to come to Iowa; it has something to do with winning football. Additionally, parents will notice it.

CLICK ON THE IMAGE FOR A LARGER VIEW

De5ORm5U0AAOMYh.jpg

De5OTEuUwAA4av5.jpg

Thank The Wave.
I believe you are spot on here.
The wave is a very good & supportive thing in Iowa city & has caught the eye of
many across the country.
Putting the tiger hawk on the tower is a good way of saying THANKS from the hospital
even though the cost is being payed by the athletics dept.

Reactions: Herkmeister
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT