ADVERTISEMENT

The Iowa offense…

swagsurfer02

HR King
Gold Member
Dec 8, 2010
So I looked at the box score for the game today…..

Man, it looks different than last year but it’s still pretty pitiful. Cade was 12/22 and we rushed 29 times for 112 yards. 59 of those came on one carry from Patterson.

Looking around, the West looks pretty soft but I’m still worried about Minnesota, Nebraska, Wisconsin. Not confident when we play Penn St.

• Haha
Reactions: PoleSmokinHerkyFan

Man, it looks different than last year but it’s still pretty pitiful. Cade was 12/22 and we rushed 29 times for 112 yards. 59 of those came on one carry from Patterson.

Looking around, the West looks pretty soft but I’m still worried about Minnesota, Nebraska, Wisconsin. Not confident when we play Penn St.
Cade is generally getting much better pass blocking and time to throw than last year. I hope he and the receivers can smooth out their timing as he throws the ball well and can move around in the pocket enough to gain some time.

When the hawks are playing against these LOS crowding defenses and every play that a WR has one on one with the Dback playing well off the LOS the hawks need to throw the ball quick to the WR, audible if necessary, and force those teams to not crowd the LOS.

Brian F needs to find ways to outflank these defenses.

Watch some of these other college games and pay attention to offensive line play with winning teams.

Night and day difference when you see our dogshit linemen.

Cade is obviously a huge upgrade over SP, but the chances he stays healthy with this line are slim and none.
That's just reality.

• Sad
Reactions: Iron Doc
I will say this offense has looked strong the first couple of drives this year. So maybe they have doubled the good looking drives but it’s not really amounting to more points yet. I think iowa state getting away with being so physical on pass defense had a lot to do with not breaking 25 points today.

I wonder if Cade’s injury is affecting the run game. The first two games we have run out of the shotgun more and run more power running plays. We haven’t seen much of inside or outside zone. Maybe Cade can’t execute that with his injury? Maybe we can’t have the play action game off those plays because of his injury?

I wonder if Cade’s injury is affecting the run game. The first two games we have run out of the shotgun more and run more power running plays. We haven’t seen much of inside or outside zone. Maybe Cade can’t execute that with his injury? Maybe we can’t have the play action game off those plays because of his injury?
Cades injury affects his ability to run but not others ability to run.

Looking forward to watching the replay, but certainly at the end of the game it appeared that the line was getting push up front. Iowa is going to hit some deep targets, but they need to gel a bit more. Agreed with the Cade health problems and inability to scramble. The play calling IMO is mediocre at best, even as a crappy arm chair OC.

Reactions: sober_teacher
how so???

To me it seems like the balls are more catchable. Petras was miss by so much. Cade throws a much better medium and long ball. The only one he probably wishes he had back was on the double move when he didn’t put quite enough air under it.

Yeah, it’s sad in hindsight how many of these simple passes that cade has made I had zero confidence that Spencer could make.

Overall to me there are signs of hope if they can put it all together but obviously not there yet.

Looking forward to watching the replay, but certainly at the end of the game it appeared that the line was getting push up front. Iowa is going to hit some deep targets, but they need to gel a bit more. Agreed with the Cade health problems and inability to scramble. The play calling IMO is mediocre at best, even as a crappy arm chair OC.

It’s funny, last week I didn’t see too many play calls that from my laypersons perspective seemed like bad calls. Yesterday I thought there were a few, mostly run plays, that I thought were perplexing because of how predictable the formations were.

Normally, not a fan of the 5 wide, but, thought that was working well. Seems like McNamara is good with those routes out of that formation.

4 or 5 Time Outs taken due to lack of Offense preparedness?

Brian is just not a good OC, the lack of WR production is concerning as well

Reactions: MitchLL
Normally, not a fan of the 5 wide, but, thought that was working well. Seems like McNamara is good with those routes out of that formation.

I think its clear what the offense needs: run primarily out of shotgun.

Pass protection has been largely okay. I think pass pro. had been significantly better than run blocking thus far. Cade looks comfortable in the shotgun and looks like he can, for the most part, put the ball on the money (unlike our last guy).

Let Cade rip it out of shotgun next weekend and see what happens.

Ragiani and Vines aren't P5 receivers, so there's two guys defenses don't worry about. With stats from the WRs that we've seen in the first couple of games....there isn't a high level kid in the country that gives Iowa a second look.

Reactions: QChawks

I don’t understand it on 1st down. It tells the defense were not running the ball. I think our offense works best when the defense doesn’t know when we’re running vs passing.

As far as West QBs, Cade is probably near the best of lot.

I've seen Nebraska's (mistake machine) and Minnesota (weak side are slinger). Illinois, Purdue, NW not that great. Haven't seen Wisconsin's.

Offense is better based on the QB Cade right now...much better QB play than fiasco the last few years. WR has more depth and the Freshman running back has a nice burst into hole - he should have taken the short yard carry in critical second half play that got stopped short. Jury is still out on OL...and Brian (no comment).

Ragiani and Vines aren't P5 receivers, so there's two guys defenses don't worry about. With stats from the WRs that we've seen in the first couple of games....there isn't a high level kid in the country that gives Iowa a second look.

ISU had their transfer J. Higgins with 8 receptions that looked better/more athletic than any Iowa WR since IKM. The WR recruiting by BF has been atrocious the last few years. By now it is partly due to the offense stinking and no one wanting to play WR in a BF/KF offense.

Ragiani and Vines are probaby 4th/ 5th/6th type options on an average P5 team.

At this time, the entire program is being held up by Phil Parker being an exceptionally good coach.

The stat on Iowa DB's having most interception and most Pick 6's since around 2013 is very impressive. Phil is ex-DB and he has proven he has an eye for talent evaluation/development/coaching. Then you look at the offensive line which is BF/KF specialty and it is mostly garbage. The game has passed KF and while I am okay with BF as a person, but he got to his position based on DNA and not merit at Nepo U.

KF has become joe Paterno, but Joe Paterno didn't have his kid as offensive coordinator. KF has had a good career but his own stubborness and self dealing has hurt his legacy.

IMO when the formation is shotgun and empty backfield or a formation is under center with backs the plays are 95% predictable (run versus pass). I do not understand this approach to say the least.

We aren’t running inside or outside zone because he can’t bootleg off of those plays.
If he hampers the offense so much, he shouldn’t be playing. What was the excuse for the past 10 years?

If he hampers the offense so much, he shouldn’t be playing. What was the excuse for the past 10 years?
No excuses here. Just trying to analyze the offense and the approach in the run game they have taken. The approach has not been the same this year. I don't have inside knowledge, but believe it could be because of Cade's limitations to play action out of the inside or outside zone look. Have a great day!

Reactions: SI_NYC
compared to last year, there is a night and day difference. there is massive improvement per eye test so to say.
as for stats, iowa only ran 50 plays on offense yesterday. so total offense is not that meaningful imo.
look at efficiency rankings at https://www.espn.com/college-football/fpi/_/view/efficiencies
iowa offense is #73 and defense #9

that said it does look like psu might be a woodshed but as long as we get past wisc and keep improving should be a fun season.

Reactions: sober_teacher
ISU had their transfer J. Higgins with 8 receptions that looked better/more athletic than any Iowa WR since IKM. The WR recruiting by BF has been atrocious the last few years. By now it is partly due to the offense stinking and no one wanting to play WR in a BF/KF offense.

Ragiani and Vines are probaby 4th/ 5th/6th type options on an average P5 team.

At this time, the entire program is being held up by Phil Parker being an exceptionally good coach.

The stat on Iowa DB's having most interception and most Pick 6's since around 2013 is very impressive. Phil is ex-DB and he has proven he has an eye for talent evaluation/development/coaching. Then you look at the offensive line which is BF/KF specialty and it is mostly garbage. The game has passed KF and while I am okay with BF as a person, but he got to his position based on DNA and not merit at Nepo U.

KF has become joe Paterno, but Joe Paterno didn't have his kid as offensive coordinator. KF has had a good career but his own stubborness and self dealing has hurt his legacy.
The Iowa Way is clear. At least to me.

1. Have a strong defense.

2. Utilize the tight ends to their max.

3. Run the ball even if it isn't always as effective as it should be.

4. Maintain ball and clock control.

5. Win the turnover battle.

6. Score enough points to get up more than two scores than control the game via possession, ST and defense until the clock runs out. See #4.

The bad news about all of this is that it isnt as exciting for most fans as it is for some. The other bad news for some is that this strategy has largely been effective enough to win 8 games or more a year and get us to a bowl game thereby limiting the chance of anyone getting fired. Sure, Id love to sling it all over the field, win by 40 and go the playoffs. But that strategy has also not been very effective for most teams, on a year-to-year basis, that dont have the infusion of talent like the big boys do.

It still has to get better. If I was in charge, BF would be gone after the season unless things improve.

I've seen Nebraska's (mistake machine) and Minnesota (weak side are slinger). Illinois, Purdue, NW not that great. Haven't seen Wisconsin's.

Offense is better based on the QB Cade right now...much better QB play than fiasco the last few years. WR has more depth and the Freshman running back has a nice burst into hole - he should have taken the short yard carry in critical second half play that got stopped short. Jury is still out on OL...and Brian (no comment).
The B1G West is terrible. It reminds me of the old Big 12 North.

Reactions: Iafootballfan
Once your OLine gains the reputation of being a weak spot, other teams plan for it.

A major shakeup is warranted...last year.
Barnett is not connecting with these kids, and has never been an effective run blocking coach (see Feth's history). Pass pro improvements primarily due to Kirk, and others (Reese/Brian) stepping in. Kirk historically works with the OL, however when Morgan becomes a regular with whistle in hand there's a deficiency being addressed.

Reactions: desihawk
Barnett is not connecting with these kids, and has never been an effective run blocking coach (see Feth's history). Pass pro improvements primarily due to Kirk, and others (Reese/Brian) stepping in. Kirk historically works with the OL, however when Morgan becomes a regular with whistle in hand there's a deficiency being addressed.
didnt realize morgan’s helping out. yes, barnett hasn’t been inspiring confidence but i thought he was beginning to make a difference this year but you are saying it’s kirk and morgan…hmmmm

QB play in the West is terrible. We should walk into the Big 10 championship.

It was said at the beginning of the year Iowa will not need a good offense, not even an average offense but just a slightly below average offense in order to win the West. But again Iowa is already near the bottom in the country and dead last in the Big Ten. Totally unacceptable. The day BF is fired is the day Kirk retires it seems.

I think the line we have just cannot execute the zone blocking scheme. We have much more success on counter and traps. Rewatch the TD run, ISU sells out to the zone play right, but we counter left for the homerun.
If the offensive line does better at other blocking schemes, maybe Brian should abandon the zone blocking schemes

Finally going to put you on ignore. Your negative shit gets so o!d. Hoping you have a miserable rest of your life because your a miserable person.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT