ADVERTISEMENT

The Iowa Way

Iowa-WildCat

Scout Team
Mar 13, 2023
Explain to an outsider what you believe the Iowa Way is.
Does it refer to the culture and expectation? Does it refer to offensive and defensive philosophy? All of the above?

After reading BF had better be right in another post. This concerns me "We have a tried and true method," said Ferentz. "We know how we win, we know who we are.

To a degree I can appreciate this attitude and acknowledge that Iowa has had some success however, are they too rigid?
I think of Penn State uniforms as one extreme of rigidity i.e. we are wearing the traditional boring white uniforms at the other extreme is: This is the offense we run and no matter what we will not change.

Can Iowa move their program up without changing?

Wisconsin had been very successful with their style of play for many years. They are moving away from it and going more pass oriented. It appears the KF and BF are committed to a ball control field advantage offense. Let SP and Defense control the game and hope the other team screws up. Problem is we haven't been able to even capitalize on those mistakes. I still can't believe or understand why the hell Cade came here to play for BF.

So the question becomes can they become a consistent, relevant top 20 team? Are they simply satisfied to say hey we win 7 or 8 games every year and go to a bowl game, so the Iowa way works. Occasionally, with the right schedule we will win 10 games but lose in the big 10 championship but still glad we got there.
Does the Iowa way also mean that being competitive is enough but it's not really the Iowa way to disrupt things and change in order to become relevant in the top 10 consistently?

Does it refer to the culture and expectation? Does it refer to offensive and defensive philosophy? All of the above?

After reading BF had better be right in another post. This concerns me "We have a tried and true method," said Ferentz. "We know how we win, we know who we are.

To a degree I can appreciate this attitude and acknowledge that Iowa has had some success however, are they too rigid?
I think of Penn State uniforms as one extreme of rigidity i.e. we are wearing the traditional boring white uniforms at the other extreme is: This is the offense we run and no matter what we will not change.

I believe that Kirk's version of the "Iowa Way" is embracing a particular philosophy. Specifically, Kirk believes in doing things the "right" way ... which means focussing first and foremost on fundamentals. Focussing on fundamentals runs hand-in-hand with another tenet of the philosophy - and that is revolves around development. Guys have to possess strong fundamentals.

To complement strong fundamentals, the players really need to know the game of football. One of Kirk's quick summaries of Iowa football (and the "Iowa Way") boils down to 3 words - Tough, Smart, and Physical. While getting down the fundamentals might be a grind ... it complements the toughness that Kirk desires. Really getting to know the game of football relates to the Smart side of the equation. As is probably infamous (and/or meme-worthy) ... Kirk doesn't believe in using scheme to compensate for weaknesses. He wants the players to learn and take ownership of what they do. He doesn't want to displace mental burdens on the players to the coaches ... he wants the players to be able to do their own thinking. In order to enhance their football IQ, players need to invest in their mental development.

Lastly, there is the bit about being physical. Kirk has always believed in building things from the ground up ... and that all starts with strength and conditioning. This ALSO complements the emphasis on development ... obviously physical development in this context. Part of this is a purposeful design of implementing "bully ball." The point being to grind on the opponents. This philosophy is not isolated to football ... but it certainly works in football. Not all teams are equipped to handle Iowa's "brawling" style ... that is why you see so many teams feign injuries against Iowa. Obviously, the Hawks don't play with tempo ... so something has to be wearing on the opponents. The physical, battling mentality ... actualized on the field ... that is where it comes from. Look for Penn State to implement it (yet again) this year against the Hawks.

Of course, notice that none of the above elements are necessarily unique to Iowa. However, Kirk tries to tap into the midwestern farmer mindset ... of not shying away from hard work ... of valuing doing things the "right way." That's part of the narrative he's developed ... and that is part of how he sells the program. Not coincidentally, that is also why Iowa primarily recruits the midwest and also why it often has great success mining athletes from small communities.

Last edited:
One must evolve, this is why you don’t see the wishbone offense. Best example is Tiger Woods, even after winning his 2nd masters, we changed up his swinging approach only to go on and win three more.
I love Iowa football but I’m tired of the circus that surrounds our offense. Brian is not a D1 OC, not even DII. Kirks best days are behind him and he’s gotten us as far as we will go. I’d rather see Kirk slide into the AD position, get rid of Barta and start new.

One must evolve, this is why you don’t see the wishbone offense. Best example is Tiger Woods, even after winning his 2nd masters, we changed up his swinging approach only to go on and win three more.
I love Iowa football but I’m tired of the circus that surrounds our offense. Brian is not a D1 OC, not even DII. Kirks best days are behind him and he’s gotten us as far as we will go. I’d rather see Kirk slide into the AD position, get rid of Barta and start new.
If our D and ST's are the strength then wish we would lean on them even more and open the offense. The other teams would not game plan and could take advantage. This is what drives me crazy that we continue to do what other team knows. Mix it up take advantage and score then lean on boring O and D to win the game. They are so afraid of turnovers that they play such a boring style and miss out on opportunities.

Reactions: TNHAWK79
Wisconsin had been very successful with their style of play for many years. They are moving away from it and going more pass oriented. It appears the KF and BF are committed to a ball control field advantage offense. Let SP and Defense control the game and hope the other team screws up. Problem is we haven't been able to even capitalize on those mistakes. I still can't believe or understand why the hell Cade came here to play for BF.
Wisconsin also has a new head coach who came in with a spread philosophy. When KF leaves, it will depend on the new head coach (it won't be Brian) as to the style of play.

great post ghost of homer77.

From what I gather this site is pretty divided. On one hand you have the traditionalists that embrace the Iowa way, possibly live that way themselves. These individuals strongly support the program and while fully wanting to win the big10 or national championship are pretty content to live their life satisfied that Iowa, while playing the Iowa way, gave it their best shot! This is by NO means disrespectful or demeaning of them!

On the other hand you have a group that, while still supportive of the Iowa Way, are not satisfied with 8 wins and are not only willing but demanding Iowa change in order to reach new heights.

From a university standpoint I can see how the former is not only comfortable but desirable. With exceptions, Iowa is generally successful, filled stadium that brings in consistent revenue, while a bit disgruntled at times a VERY loyal fan base etc. etc. what is not to love?

Worse case scenario: Iowa changes and it doesn't work out the program starts struggling to go 500, no bowl game. We all have seen programs go south and it takes years to get it back to it's former self. From the U perspective is it worth changing?

Poor analogy but... remember when Coke did away with Original Coke because they thought a sweeter product was the future. Did Not work out very well.
So in the end does Barta and the U really want to change? Maybe in the bigger scheme it's better to have a solid consistent product and a few disgruntled fans than to upset the apple cart?

Wisconsin's switch will be a litmus test.

So the question becomes can they become a consistent, relevant top 20 team? Are they simply satisfied to say hey we win 7 or 8 games every year and go to a bowl game, so the Iowa way works. Occasionally, with the right schedule we will win 10 games but lose in the big 10 championship but still glad we got there.
Does the Iowa way also mean that being competitive is enough but it's not really the Iowa way to disrupt things and change in order to become relevant in the top 10 consistently?
Not completely defending the regime but ........
I think 8+ wins in a Power 5 conference gets you consistently in the top 20 or 25. Not always a popular milestone. everyone wants more. I want more from the offense and change but look at old Nebraska.

Do you think they would have been successful if they never fired Solich and stayed with the triple option ?(Most of today's spread run game/rpo is just triple option.). Change for the sake of change to reach a perceived potential not always good or ensures success

In the coaching realm, end results are not the goals and focus. It is by fans but not coaches(at least directly). Read Saban's book How good do you want to be? One of his concepts on goals is that his teams got better when their goals were not really quantitative. If you set a number Then corners get cut to reach that number, people are satisfied with that number and never work to get more, or you could reach that number but reach the ultimate goal

Does the Iowa Way Mean, You have some nice opinions and I will take them under consideration with a smile but really I don't care and I am going to do it the way I know how? The answer is YES. I think that is the mentality of most of the state and not just the staff

Until Barry showed up they sucked. They have only been consistent winners for a little over 20 years. Barry copied the Iowa way. As they move away from the tried method, we'll see how well they can compete. They may become another Purdue who can score a lot of points in September and October but keep in mind Purdue gets no where near the amount of snow they get in Wisconsin.

I think this is my perception of the Ferentz/Iowa way. Evolving offensively is not going to happy and I am not talking about changing everything. It could simply start by taking advantages of the opponent's weaknesses for a change.

I believe that Kirk's version of the "Iowa Way" is embracing a particular philosophy. Specifically, Kirk believes in doing things the "right" way ... which means focussing first and foremost on fundamentals. Focussing on fundamentals runs hand-in-hand with another tenet of the philosophy - and that is revolves around development. Guys have to possess strong fundamentals.

To complement strong fundamentals, the players really need to know the game of football. One of Kirk's quick summaries of Iowa football (and the "Iowa Way") boils down to 3 words - Tough, Smart, and Physical. While getting down the fundamentals might be a grind ... it complements the toughness that Kirk desires. Really getting to know the game of football relates to the Smart side of the equation. As is probably infamous (and/or meme-worthy) ... Kirk doesn't believe in using scheme to compensate for weaknesses. He wants the players to learn and take ownership of what they do. He doesn't want to displace mental burdens on the players to the coaches ... he wants the players to be able to do their own thinking. In order to enhance their football IQ, players need to invest in their mental develop.

Lastly, there is the bit about being physical. Kirk has always believed in building things from the ground up ... and that all starts with strength and conditioning. This ALSO complements the emphasis on development ... obviously physical development in this context. Part of this is a purposeful design of implementing "bully ball." The point being to grind on the opponents. This philosophy is not isolated to football ... but it certainly works in football. Not all teams are equipped to handle Iowa's "brawling" style ... that is why you see so many teams feign injuries against Iowa. Obviously, the Hawks don't play with tempo ... so something has to be wearing on the opponents. The physical, battling mentality ... actualized on the field ... that is where it comes from. Look for Penn State to implement it (yet again) this year against the Hawks.

Of course, notice that none of the above elements are necessarily unique to Iowa. However, Kirk tries to tap into the midwestern farmer mindset ... of not shying away from hard work ... of valuing doing things the "right way." That's part of the narrative he's developed ... and that is part of how he sells the program. Not coincidentally, that is also why Iowa primarily recruits the midwest and also why it often has great success mining athletes from small communities.
Ghost,

Good post. Want to add one thing. Iowa needs to play this way, we have always struggled getting play makers in the program. Very few in-state athletes. Moving the ball consistently requires a good OL, a strong ground attack and TE play. The Iowa way on offense. Occasionally we have a Smith-Marsette to stretch the field, which is a big plus.

great post ghost of homer77.

From what I gather this site is pretty divided. On one hand you have the traditionalists that embrace the Iowa way, possibly live that way themselves. These individuals strongly support the program and while fully wanting to win the big10 or national championship are pretty content to live their life satisfied that Iowa, while playing the Iowa way, gave it their best shot! This is by NO means disrespectful or demeaning of them!

On the other hand you have a group that, while still supportive of the Iowa Way, are not satisfied with 8 wins and are not only willing but demanding Iowa change in order to reach new heights.

From a university standpoint I can see how the former is not only comfortable but desirable. With exceptions, Iowa is generally successful, filled stadium that brings in consistent revenue, while a bit disgruntled at times a VERY loyal fan base etc. etc. what is not to love?

Worse case scenario: Iowa changes and it doesn't work out the program starts struggling to go 500, no bowl game. We all have seen programs go south and it takes years to get it back to it's former self. From the U perspective is it worth changing?

Poor analogy but... remember when Coke did away with Original Coke because they thought a sweeter product was the future. Did Not work out very well.
So in the end does Barta and the U really want to change? Maybe in the bigger scheme it's better to have a solid consistent product and a few disgruntled fans than to upset the apple cart?
I love this "8 wins is the Iowa way" line. Go back and see how many times under KF we've won 9 -12 games in a season. Alot, and yes more then Fry did. Now look at the number of teams that don't win 8-12 games just about every year. Most of them. This tripe that Iowa settles or is fine winning 8 games a year is old......

Doing things the right way. Paying your dues and working your ass off and be good on and off the field.

Reactions: Bishop1971
Playing ball controll is smart. Being unwilling or unable to develop a consistent passing game is not smart. We develop Tight Ends. We should be able to develop Wide Receivers, and Qbs that can get the ball to them. Make teams pay for stacking the box against us

Wisconsin's switch will be a litmus test.
I think that would be a good indicator. especially a year or two in. Change for the sake of change will give you a quick bump but is hard to maintain. Usually, when there is institutional change the results lag a few years behind.
I do want to see a change in the offense. I am pessimistic that it would be years long to see the results. Like the current offense took to come to fruition in the early 2000's

You plants your corn and bean seeds when risk of hard freeze is over.

Reactions: Bulldog64
Can't disagree with anything you said.
Wisconsin was under the helm of Alverez who coached any yrs with Hayden Fry. Same game plan that they executed better for so many years. Alverez retired and a new AD comes in and changes things up.
Until Barta moves on Iowa will still play Kirks gameplan. I see a change coming at the end of Kirks contract.

Maybe Brian should take some 'shrooms? It can't hurt to inject a little creativity into the scheme.

Ted-Lasso-Triangles-Drug-Trip.jpg

I was actually using 8 games as a statement of a mediocre season and not meant to be literal. However, looking at the Iowa website for the past 18 years and not counting covid year the numbers were.
wins number

12-1
11-1
10-4
9-2
8-5
7-2
6-2
5-0
4-1
So to my point of accepting mediocrity it looks like there are a number of 6,7,8 win season and fewer 11,12 win seasons. Arguably 10 wins are also very good seasons.
And I will also add that, in my humble opinion, the problem with the offense is more about predictability than scheme.

Doing things the right way. Paying your dues and working your ass off and be good on and off the field.
Talking about doing things the right way is nice but actions tell the story. When it comes to Brian, nothing Kirk has done...from lying for over a decade to get around nepotism rules to retaining him and making him qb coach to saying he and Phil both operate at a real high level is close to doing things "the right way".

Holding the players accountable while simultaneously creating an alternate reality to prop up your firstborn son at the expense of the program is downright shady, not to mention the right way. Being too stubborn to admit what you are doing on O just isn't working isn't doing things "the right way"

I won't even touch what led to the PR nightmare of 2020 and the $4 mil settlement, the blatant nepotism is plenty. Sick of this BS "Iowa way" double standard from the Ferentz family

I'm waiting to see how this season goes before i start rallying around a serious change on offense. Tweak it, be more aggressive, get the line and wr's up to the qb, rb, and te levels. This is the year I'm rallying around the offense and seeing if this is something that is worth supporting.

Ghost,

Good post. Want to add one thing. Iowa needs to play this way, we have always struggled getting play makers in the program. Very few in-state athletes. Moving the ball consistently requires a good OL, a strong ground attack and TE play. The Iowa way on offense. Occasionally we have a Smith-Marsette to stretch the field, which is a big plus.
I'd agree that our recruiting approach and schemes are meant to complement each other and are intended to be a sustainable solution.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
In Short: 1."Next Man in", 2. "One is not greater than the whole" and 3. "Consistency = Success".
I like it. I would add ... 4. Play for each other (which might be the same as #2)

KF has a way of doing things that fits his mold. Fans say he is "stubborn" - maybe that's true, but I think he believes down to his bones that it's the right way for Iowa so he's not going to change. He is committed to his way.

1. Next man in. Everyone on the roster is important and has an obligation to get better to help the team. Be ready.

2. One is not greater than the whole. Play for each other, play for the team, play for the fans, play for Iowa. It's easy to quit on yourself - it's much harder to quit on others.

3. Consistency = Success. Stay the course. Know your assignment. Teach others. Follow the leader, then step up and lead.

The formula has worked to perfection on defense. Plug & Play. Success after success. A true legacy.

It has not worked on offense, and I don't really know why. Maybe the formula doesn't work as well for the skill positions on offense. Maybe simply bad OC's. Maybe they "tinker" with the offense and it just confuses guys. I can't explain how one team can produce excellence on one side of the ball and futility on the other side.

Ghost,

Agree, I don’t think the spread is a good option for Iowa. Iowa has a history of success using ball control offense and good defense, special teams. if you are successful with that and it matches your recruiting base there is no reason to go away from that.

schools like WSU and Texas tech had to go air raid to compete, Iowa doesn’t.

It always revolves around a good line- last year it sucked as bad as it ever has.

Talking about doing things the right way is nice but actions tell the story. When it comes to Brian, nothing Kirk has done...from lying for over a decade to get around nepotism rules to retaining him and making him qb coach to saying he and Phil both operate at a real high level is close to doing things "the right way".

Holding the players accountable while simultaneously creating an alternate reality to prop up your firstborn son at the expense of the program is downright shady, not to mention the right way. Being too stubborn to admit what you are doing on O just isn't working isn't doing things "the right way"

I won't even touch what led to the PR nightmare of 2020 and the $4 mil settlement, the blatant nepotism is plenty. Sick of this BS "Iowa way" double standard from the Ferentz family
Can you imagine like Brian or Kirk giving this talk to the players? Not one person is bigger than the program. All that matters is how you perform. Haha. I think as a player it’d be hard to keep from laughing!!!

Reactions: mustang_hawk
16th winningest college football program over the last ten years with a 82-43 record. (as of 2022 ranked by 247).

Maybe you don't understand Cade because you don't understand college football. Too many people ignore such a number of real world facts that they convince themselves Iowa should always win the Division and 10+ games. Indeed even winning 10 games and the Division wasn't enough and we missed another Division title by failing to score from inside the 4 on one series in one game. That is not a catastrophic collapse. Judging from this board you'd think we dropped to 3-5 wins last season.

McCabe probably realized he'd be a two year starter. Brings experience, leadership and a very accurate arm to a team that really needed the very accurate arm. Already knows how to play in a run heavy offense. Knew Eric would follow and where better to get your ball to a TE buddy, Iowa? Cade might indeed know things about the other receivers that the permanently negative posters do not know or appreciate. He probably knows he's got at least three big play TEs. He also might have seen more potential in the wide receivers that somebody not an expert who's probably seeing through a Cheech and Chong layer of confirmation bias could detect.

We should be the Division favorites. The defense will again be among the best, the special teams among the best and no Petras/Padilla to **** it all up. The offense is going to be vastly improved if only two things happen.

1. The line has to improve. Left side looks solid as hell. The RG will be a good player, Feth or Stevens, although I'm more hopeful Feth replaces Jones. Or Jones might have taken a big step. Still need a RT, but seeing Jennings out there, with Parker returning in the summer brightens the picture. Cade watched Iowa's line and I'll bet he thinks the line play was atypically bad and anticipates experience will have provided much improvement by the time live fire began.

2. Injuries are manageable. Cannot be down to one scholly receiver and it looks like that is going to requires all but one of Ragaini, Vines, Anderson, Bostick, Mota, Bui, Howard and T Dubya, who I'm told played over have his snaps out wide, have to be injured. Odds do not favor wiping out a position entirely as happened last year.

2013 losing season. 2015 undefeated regular season. Some guys got healthy, a couple of other guys stepped up. Had a good QB with pocket mobility and a good running game. This incoming team can produce a good running game and I think we have the TEs and RBs to have a very good season. A few big plays from the receivers would turbocharge this offense by simply showing the ability to do so.

Think there was much to see if not blinded by anger and frustration over the awful last two seasons.​

Last edited:
Maybe you don't understand Cade because you don't understand college football. Too many people ignore such a number of real world facts that they convince themselves Iowa should always win the Division and 10+ games. Indeed even winning 10 games and the Division wasn't enough and we missed another Division title by failing to score from inside the 4 on one series in one game. That is not a catastrophic collapse. Judging from this board you'd think we dropped to 3-5 wins last season.

McCabe probably realized he'd be a two year starter. Brings experience, leadership and a very accurate arm. Already knows how to play in a run heavy offense. Cade might indeed know things about the other receivers that the permanently negative posters do not know or appreciate. He probably knows he's got at least three big play TEs. He also knows the potential

We should be the Division favorites. The defense will again be among the best, the special teams among the best and no Petras/Padilla to **** it all up. The offense is going to be vastly improved if only two things happen.

1. The line has to improve. Left side looks solid as hell. The RG will be a good player, Feth or Stevens, although I'm more hopeful Feth replaces Jones. Or Jones might have taken a big step. Still need a RT, but seeing Jennings out there, with Parker returning in the summer brightens the picture out there. Cade watched Iowa's line and I'll bet he thinks the line play has been atypically bad.

2. Injuries are manageable. Cannot be down to one scholly receiver and it looks like that is going to requires all but one of Ragaini, Vines, Anderson, Bostick, Mota, Bui, Howard and T Dubya, who I'm told played over have his snaps out wide, have to be injured. Odds do not favor wiping out a position entirely as happened last year.

2013 losing season. 2015 undefeated regular season. Some guys got healthy, a couple of other guys stepped up. Had a good QB with pocket mobility and a good running game. This incoming team can produce a good running game and I think we have the TEs and RBs to have a very good season. A few big plays from the receivers would turbocharge this offense by simply showing the ability to do so.

Think there was much to see if not blinded by anger and frustration over the awful last two seasons.
All the TEs looked awesome Saturday. All the way up and down the depth chart. This could be the best and most complete TE unit we have had. Just throwing that outrageous claim out there right now.

Reactions: Capital1Hawk
Pretty interesting Washed Up Walkons podcast this morning that everyone drinking the kool aid might want to skip, even Drake was upset after listening to the stories of a former player.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT