ADVERTISEMENT

The latest attempt to water down Caitlin's accomplishments this season

When Iowa wins tonight I can only imagine it will get worse over the weekend. But c'mon, man, give the Iowa girl her due.

This dude apparently thinks the media coverage should have been more spread out this season to all the top women players, not just Caitlin. He seems to have a big bro love for Paige Bueckers.

Paige Bueckers is getting right what we all got wrong about women's basketball coverage
They're just trying to get someone to read their drivel.
Wr know what we've got and she's the GOAT!

Read the article, folks. It's not bad at all.

As I've said before, there needs to be a name for the phobia some Iowa fans have that at any given moment, somewhere on the Internet, someone is not giving adequate love to Caitlin Clark.

From the article:
This isn't to say that Caitlin Clark's season didn't deserve the outsized coverage it got. That's ridiculous. She broke the NCAA's all-time scoring record. Something like that deserves everyone's attention. But, man. There were so many other stories this year.
I mean, does anyone really want to die on the hill arguing against this?

Read the article, folks. It's not bad at all.

As I've said before, there needs to be a name for the phobia some Iowa fans have that at any given moment, somewhere on the Internet, someone is not giving adequate love to Caitlin Clark.

From the article:

I mean, does anyone really want to die on the hill arguing against this?
That statement is correct but the reality is those articles about other players just aren't getting the viewership/readers that stuff about Caitlin Clark has. Maybe it's because Iowa fans don't give a crap about anyone else and aren't reading it? Although that probably overestimates the economic impact of Iowa fans, but not by much. There's a reason Iowa gets a lot of TV coverage in different sports and it isn't because of the number of championships. The fan base is large and it is passionate.

The bottom line is if articles about other athletes brought the same following we would see more of them.

Reactions: Underscore2
The article isn't at all about watering down CC or her accomplishments, the writer is actually very complementary and says more than once she's deserved all the coverage.

The main angle of the article is that coverage of WBB moving ahead shouldn't focus on one star, but instead should be spread out evenly among all the WBB superstars. Good luck with that. It's not how things work. Ask any of the other stars who played during MJ's reign, or golfers during Tiger's prime, or tennis players during Serena's prime, or heavyweight boxers during Tyson's prime, or hocky players during Gretzky's prime. All of those sports had legit superstars in addition to the one at the top of the mountain, and it didn't matter. All people wanted was more of the king/queen. That's why when Paige Bueckers is brought up it's not about all the great things Paige Bueckers has done, it's all about "is Paige Bueckers better than Caitlin Clark?"

Just the way we're wired.

When Iowa wins tonight I can only imagine it will get worse over the weekend. But c'mon, man, give the Iowa girl her due.

This dude apparently thinks the media coverage should have been more spread out this season to all the top women players, not just Caitlin. He seems to have a big bro love for Paige Bueckers.

Paige Bueckers is getting right what we all got wrong about women's basketball coverage
Sure, spread it out, guaranteeing nobody would really care about what was going on. Maybe CC has gotten "too much", but for crying out loud it does 10 times better for the women's game then spreading the love to a dozen others.

The media gives the public what they want because it is how the media makes money.
Truth. If a reader sees Caitlyn Clark in the title, they’re more likely to click on it and read it. Simply because of her notoriety.

I’m curious what happens next year when Caitlyn is not playing collegiate ball. It will be hard to match anything she has done. Will her popularity translate to the WNBA and raise the level of interest there?

Reactions: cmhawks99
Lisa Simpson Episode 3 GIF by The Simpsons

If I see Caitlyn Clark mentioned in an article, I'm going to wonder who they're talking about.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT