ADVERTISEMENT

The leaks coming out of the Trump White House right now are totally bananas

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
By Chris Cillizza February 2 at 10:48 AM
President Trump abruptly ended a phone call with Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull after condemning a refugee deal with the country and telling Turnbull "this was the worst call by far" he has had with a world leader.

* Trump threatened — his administration insisted it was "light-hearted" — Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto with sending American troops into his country.

* The White House asked Judge Thomas Hardiman to drive toward D.C. to amp up the drama in advance of Trump's Supreme Court pick on Tuesday night. (Hardiman was passed over in favor of Colorado federal appeals court judge Neil Gorsuch.)

I wrote recently that not only was this the leakiest White House I'd ever seen but also that the leaks — whether purposely or not — seemed to cast the president as a child who badly needs to be managed. What's truly remarkable is that the leaking appears to be growing even more frequent and even more deleterious to President Trump's image within just the last few days.

The first two leaks are of partial transcripts of phone calls between Trump and other world leaders. How many people have access to those transcripts? And who working for Trump could possibly think it's a good idea to leak out transcripts that show Trump attempting to bully two staunch allies? This explanation, making the rounds on Twitter Thursday morning, doesn't exactly help Trump, either.

The third leak is, to me, perhaps the most baffling. White House press secretary Sean Spicer spent a decent chunk of his briefing on Wednesday disputing media reports that Hardiman and Gorsuch had both been encouraged to come to Washington in a sort of "Cannonball Run"-like competition to fill the vacant seat on the highest court in the country. Which makes this sentence — and its sourcing — from Maggie Haberman and Glenn Thrush all the more amazing:

Three administration officials who did not want to be identified said Judge Hardiman hit the road to Washington to help them maintain the illusion that the selection process was still competitive.

Three. Administration. Officials. These are not people opposed to Trump. This is not the loyal opposition. These are people who work within Trump's administration, people he and his team hired to help him run the country. And this trio of people are confirming information that makes it very clear the president wanted to run his Supreme Court announcement like a cliffhanger episode of reality TV.

Why all the leaking? I've got two theories:

1. Trump only really listens to things once they are presented to him via the media. Trump campaign manager Kellyanne Conway acknowledged in the campaign that the best way to get through to him was often to talk on cable TV or to other reporters. There's no indication that Trump has changed his voracious media consumption habits since he formally entered the White House. So it's uniquely possible that these leaks are aimed at reining him in, showing him that when he acts like this with, say, world leaders, it makes him look bad.

2. There are people at senior levels within the administration who have major concerns about Trump and his fitness for office. In the long tradition of whistleblowers, they are using selective leaks to make sure that people know what is really going on inside the White House.

Neither theory is a good thing for Trump. He is someone who has made very clear — both in the business world and in his brief stint in politics — that he expects unflinching loyalty from his staff. He's not getting anything close to that right now — and I have to assume, knowing what we know about him, it's driving him crazy.

I'd say any sort of staff purge is unlikely this early in a presidency. But that would be based on the old rules governing how you do politics. And if President Trump has proven anything, it's that he doesn't play by those rules.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/02/02/the-leaks-coming-out-of-the-trump-white-house-right-now-are-totally-bananas/?hpid=hp_hp-cards_hp-card-politics:homepage/card&utm_term=.2e06ecf1628d

Last edited:
bananas.gif

Trump thinks he can march into DC and step all over people. WRONG! DC fights back. Some of the worst leaking will come from Republican members of Congress.

Correct. He is going to find out why you can't run a government like a business. He can't fire a Congressperson and they can tell him to f*** himself and there isn't much he can do other than try and convince the party not to support him. In most cases that might not be hard. Now? I'm not so sure.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Ivanka should :

1. take away his phone and iPad.
2. force him to take 2 naps a day.
3. force him to get in his 60 mins of recess everyday and he can not look at his phone
4. Only allow Donald healthy snacks like carrot sticks and peanut butter. if he has been good for 3 days, then he can have a snack-pack (only chocolate)
5. force him to read Scholastic Book series. this will help his vocabulary IMMENSELY.

Trump thinks he can march into DC and step all over people. WRONG! DC fights back. Some of the worst leaking will come from Republican members of Congress.
That's because most of them actually love their country and don't want to see this idiot do severe damage to it.

Correct. He is going to find out why you can't run a government like a business. He can't fire a Congressperson and they can tell him to f*** himself and there isn't much he can do other than try and convince the party not to support him. In most cases that might not be hard. Now? I'm not so sure.

Which is a good thing when his businesses end up financially and/or morally bankrupt.

Reactions: BelemNole
He can't run a business like a business...

trump-taj-mahal-closing.jpg

He's never run a business that had an independent board, either. He's only been in family run businesses. He's literally never had people tell him no, or people who aren't there purely because of his largesse.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2017/01...ficial-white-house-twitter-group-message.html

Mistaken identity: British man Steve Bannon included in official White House Twitter group message

A British man called Steve Bannon has been confused with Donald Trump’s chief strategist after he was added to an official White House group message on Twitter.

Mr Bannon, who describes himself as a “proud Scot living in England” tweeted out Monday that he had been accidentally put in a conversation with top US officials who had got him muddled up with the new President’s adviser.

Ivanka should :

1. take away his phone and iPad.
2. force him to take 2 naps a day.
3. force him to get in his 60 mins of recess everyday and he can not look at his phone
4. Only allow Donald healthy snacks like carrot sticks and peanut butter. if he has been good for 3 days, then he can have a snack-pack (only chocolate)
5. force him to read Scholastic Book series. this will help his vocabulary IMMENSELY.
6. Then finally cave to saying yes to being his girlfriend

Reactions: DrVenkman
Interesting circle response you have going on here. Seems to be typical of a lot of threads on this board recently. Have fun.

That would depend on which grouping of posts you focus. But you know that.
If you feel strongly that your president is being unfairly maligned, please contribute.

Reactions: lucas80
Then how about you post a substantial rebuttal?
I see ciggy did a "like" on this. Of course, ciggy only cuts and pastes articles. If you asked ciggy to post a substantial rebuttal to anything we'd be waiting for a very long time. Until another cut and paste, that is.

I see ciggy did a "like" on this. Of course, ciggy only cuts and pastes articles. If you asked ciggy to post a substantial rebuttal to anything we'd be waiting for a very long time. Until another cut and paste, that is.
Are you a gold star mom? Just wondering.

That would depend on which grouping of posts you focus.

There are quite a few of those. Far too many for the amount of time I have to devote to this board. I'm not in a hurry to try to disprove anything for two reasons. First, most are misrepresentation and spin, and that is totally obvious to any person who is not highly partisan. Second, it's actually quite entertaining to watch the pack egg each other on into ever more ridiculous claims and assertions.

It's cute that someone like you is criticizing someone for lacking depth.

BAU for Trump......and the media is now the frog in the pot of warming water...He's playing them and they don't even know it.

<My God.....lasrt week I believe every network had a "count down" clock tracking time until Trump named his SC justice nominee........what a friggin' waste of time....Back in the day it was done at the Tuesday Morning presser by the White House staff.....Talk about lots of fluff over nothing.......Just another case of the dummying down of America.......

We're in for a wild ride.....hope the country survives o_O

I had some very low expectations coming in but I'm still stunned at the amaturish effert by these guys...I don't think its going to far to worry about the country surviving in any way we currently recognize.

There are quite a few of those. Far too many for the amount of time I have to devote to this board. I'm not in a hurry to try to disprove anything for two reasons. First, most are misrepresentation and spin, and that is totally obvious to any person who is not highly partisan. Second, it's actually quite entertaining to watch the pack egg each other on into ever more ridiculous claims and assertions.
Next time just say you have nothing. My time is far too valuable for ramblings.

The rumors that Steve Bannon is behind these leaks is too self serving. Supposedly he's leaking stuff to sow chaos in the news cycle to distract attention from his real agenda. Maybe he has leaked some stuff, but this administration will be plagued by leaks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT