ADVERTISEMENT

The LGBTQers are mad at Chappelle again, apparently.

FAUlty Gator

HR Legend
Oct 27, 2017
Called himself a TERF and sided with JK Rowling. I guess that’s a bad thing to do.

And the message Chappelle has for those who have criticized him about transphobic, homophobic or any other phobic jokes seems to be: Race trumps all.

This idea surfaces when he talks about rapper DaBaby, who was pilloried publicly for making homophobic comments during a concert in July. Chappelle jokes that DaBaby "punched the LGBTQ community right in the AIDS" before recalling a 2018 incident in which the rapper was involved in a fight inside a North Carolina Walmart where another person was shot and killed.

"In our country, you can shoot and kill a n*****," Chappelle says. "But you better not hurt a gay person's feelings."

What Chappelle doesn't say is that DaBaby claims he was defending himself against two men who tried to rob him and his family in the store. Eventually, he was found guilty of a misdemeanor charge — carrying a concealed weapon — though the family of the 19-year-old who died insists that DaBaby started the fight.

In The Closer, Chappelle eventually says he's jealous of the progress the gay rights movement has made in America. "If slaves had oil and booty shorts on, we might have been free 100 years sooner," he cracks.

But lines like that assume that the struggle over oppression is a zero-sum game — that because some gay people have access to white privilege in America, all their concerns about stereotyping and marginalization are hollow and subordinate to what Black people face.

It ignores the fact that there are plenty of nonwhite gay people who face oppression for both their sexual orientation and their race. And, of course, opposing these public statements of homophobia isn't just about making gay people feel better; it's about keeping the anger and prejudice behind those words from becoming widely acceptable or turning into action.

Too often in The Closer, it just sounds like Chappelle is using white privilege to excuse his own homophobia and transphobia.

Because Chappelle is brilliant, his words about DaBaby make an important point; it is sad that more people know about DaBaby's homophobic comments than his involvement in this deadly encounter. But there is more to the story outside his simplistic framing, which seems designed to excuse some pretty hurtful words.

"Gay people are minorities until they need to be white again," Chappelle says as the capper to a different story about his conflict with a white man at a nightclub who called the police. The comic says the man he nearly fought was gay.

And, yes, we know what calling the police on a Black man can mean in a post-George Floyd world. But if some belligerent jerk were confronting me in a nightclub, I'd probably call the cops, regardless of the race of the jerk. And Chappelle refuses to consider this possibility.

He goes on to joke that for years, he thought the word "feminism" meant "frumpy b****." That the #MeToo movement was "silly" because wealthy women in Hollywood didn't fire their agents and uplift women working in the mailroom. That, just when he figured out how to nail white people on their racism, some white people changed the game by declaring they were changing genders.

Chappelle recalls how he once asked why it was easier for Caitlyn Jenner to transition in public than for Cassius Clay to change his name to Muhammad Ali, ignoring the obvious answer: Ali adopted his name 50 years earlier. Thankfully, times also eventually change.

The fact is, these are all complicated topics, tough to encapsulate in a single punchline or anecdote. And watching Chappelle talk about them is like watching somebody use a chain saw as a letter opener.

Worse, it is obvious during The Closer that Chappelle cannot stand dealing with people who confront him over his more controversial jokes. More than once, he relays a story about someone getting in his face about how he has talked about women, gay people or transgender people, accusing him of "punching down."

Chappelle may craft his monologues to make the audience think. But that doesn't mean he necessarily wants much of a dialogue, especially with people who don't like his ideas.

The Closer ends with a poignant story about transgender comic Daphne Dorman, whom he befriended and allowed to open for him during a club appearance in San Francisco back in 2019. Dorman died by suicide that same year; Chappelle says she took a lot of criticism online for defending him against allegations that he was transphobic and for denying he was "punching down" in his material.

Earlier, Chappelle says this performance, his sixth special with Netflix, will be his last for a while. He also says he won't joke about LGBTQ topics anymore.

"I'm done talking about it," he says toward the end of The Closer. "All I ask of your community, with all humility: Will you please stop punching down on my people?"

That line, with all of its terrible assumptions about who "your community" is and who "my people" are, just made me terribly angry and disappointed. Because untangling homophobia, transphobia, racism and white privilege requires a lot more effort and understanding than Chappelle makes here.

But if I were gay and heard a line like that from a wealthy, Emmy-winning comic at the end of a special that millions of his fans will likely watch and cosign, I'd probably have a simpler response:

You first.

Reactions: Moral and Rudolph
I thought it was pretty good, but as mentioned above it wasn't his best work. No Clayton Bigsby.

People are going to get upset by it no matter what, that hasn't changed, but what has changed since his last performances is the medias willingness to run with these "hot takes" and "gotchas'" and pandering to the attention-whores because their feelings are supposedly hurt. See OP's link.

Reactions: SIXERS24
No one should be offended by comedy. I’ve seen pretty crude comedians joke about abortion and child molestation. Not exactly my cup of tea, but I understand part of some comedy is dark shock value. I’m not amused by it, but I’m also not looking to be part of a class action lawsuit, either.

As long as a comedian isn’t purposely promoting hate of any group, I think it’s best just to take it for what it is. Just about everyone’s race, nationality, politics, religion, sexuality, etc. has been talked about by a comedian. The “What are we offended by this week, America?” crowd should probably spend some time in Africa or the ME if they want a real lesson in persecution.

True that. My wife and kids (no pics) have to endure a life filled with blonde jokes, but you know what, none of them lose any sleep over it because they are jokes.
Most def. My mom is blonde too.

Btw, why would I want to see pics of your kids? That sorta thing is not my bag. @Herkmeister on the other hand…🤔

Amirite, @Rudolph? 😝

No one should be offended by comedy. I’ve seen pretty crude comedians joke about abortion and child molestation. Not exactly my cup of tea, but I understand part of some comedy is dark shock value. I’m not amused by it, but I’m also not looking to be part of a class action lawsuit, either.

As long as a comedian isn’t purposely promoting hate of any group, I think it’s best just to take it for what it is. Just about everyone’s race, nationality, politics, religion, sexuality, etc. has been talked about by a comedian. The “What are we offended by this week, America?” crowd should probably spend some time in Africa or the ME if they want a real lesson in persecution.
FIFY

• Haha
Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
Most def. My mom is blonde too.

Btw, why would I want to see pics of your kids? That sorta thing is not my bag. @Herkmeister on the other hand…🤔

Amirite, @Rudolph? 😝
I'm like Joe Biden, I like little Mexican kids with no parents. 🥴

That's a joke too, but you have to be a sick bastard to think it's funny. And yes, I'm sick, very very sick. 😷

He's a comedian. If you're offended by his comedy don't watch.

Seems simple.

Just watched it a couple days ago.....not his best but it was good.
I thought it was fantastic.... I have always seen Dave as a little more "spoken word" than stand up... sure thats what he is known for but his delivery is $$$

I went to a George Carlin show about 20 years ago. The auditorium was packed and he was funny as hell about a wide variety of subjects and the crowd was great too. About half the way through Carlin started into a funny but cutting commentary about the ten commandments. I could sense some unease the further he talked about it .... this was a show in a smaller Midwest city mind you. About 3/4 of the way through it, a few people started leaving, then a few more, That's just the way it is with comedy - good comedy tactfully pokes fun/ridicule at uncomfortable or "forbidden" topics. It challenges mindsets and beliefs.

Here is the Carlin routine which offended a dozen or so people to leave his show. its hilarious and IMO outright masterful.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawki97
I went to a George Carlin show about 20 years ago. The auditorium was packed and he was funny as hell about a wide variety of subjects and the crowd was great too. About half the way through Carlin started into a funny but cutting commentary about the ten commandments. I could sense some unease the further he talked about it .... this was a show in a smaller Midwest city mind you. About 3/4 of the way through it, a few people started leaving, then a few more, That's just the way it is with comedy - good comedy tactfully pokes fun/ridicule at uncomfortable or "forbidden" topics. It challenges mindsets and beliefs.

Here is the Carlin routine which offended a dozen or so people to leave his show. its hilarious and IMO outright masterful.

So good.

“Thou shalt keep thy religion to thy self.”

There is something to be said that some people are looking for reasons to be offended by something.

But on the other hand "No one should be offended" is pretty much the statement people make right before they are about to be an asshole.

And I remember Mike Huckabee tweeting about how people who get offended shouldn't watch his show tonight and then on the very same day got offended because some comedian made fun of his daughter's eye shadow.

Amirite, @Rudolph? 😝
I have to follow the rules! My kids are under 10 so not requesting pics should go without saying, but not everyone knows my kids are under 10 years old. Now @SSG T was just talking about his daughter being a XC runner in college and he did not post pics. He broke the rules and should be flogged.

• Haha
Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
I have to follow the rules! My kids are under 10 so not requesting pics should go without saying, but not everyone knows my kids are under 10 years old. Now @SSG T was just talking about his daughter being a XC runner in college and he did not post pics. He broke the rules and should be flogged.
@Herkmeister has indicated nipples on youngins tickle his pickle.

Here we go with the boycott threats to Netflix and calling his jokes "dangerous" and equating them to violence.

Dave Chappelle on Thursday laughed off any efforts to get him and his new Netflix special "The Closer" canceled.

The 48-year-old performer took the stage at the Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles on Thursday night for a screening of his documentary. The sold-out crowd also watched performances by Stevie Wonder, Snoop Dogg, Jon Hamm, Nas, Lizzo, poet Amir Sulaiman, Jeff Rose, Talib Kweli and more.

Speaking to the roughly 18,000 people in the crowd while wearing sneakers and a suit, Chappelle touched on the fact that a number of individuals and groups are calling for "The Closer" to be pulled from the streamer because of alleged transphobic comments he made in it, Deadline reports.

He added: "I don’t know what to tell you, except I’m a bad motherf---er."

According to the report, Chappelle shared his own take on today's "cancel culture."

"This is the kindness conspiracy," he said, later adding that he believes Americans "have to trust one another."

At one point during the show, Chappelle also slammed Big Tech by calling out Twitter. "F--- Twitter," he reportedly said, prompting support from the crowd.

Chappelle's appearance Thursday came just two days after the sixth installment in his Netflix deal debuted, prompting outcries from LGBTQ+ activists for his alleged defense of "Harry Potter" author J.K. Rowling.

"They canceled J.K. Rowling – my God," Chappelle says in his special. "Effectively, she said gender was a fact, the trans community got mad as (expletive), they started calling her a TERF."

"I'm Team TERF. I agree. I agree, man. Gender is a fact," Chappelle added (via USA Today). "TERF" stands for "trans-exclusionary radical feminist" and is essentially a term for people who call themselves feminists while still being transphobic.

Many critics ended up taking issue with Chappelle's comments on Twitter. Jaclyn Moore, who is an executive producer and showrunner of "Dear White People," tweeted that the special made her cry. She also vowed to no longer work with the streamer until Netflix puts an end to the inclusion of transphobic comments in its programming.

"I told the story of my transition for @netflix and @most's Pride week. It's a network that's been my home on @DearWhitePeople. I've loved working there. I will not work with them as long as they continue to put out and profit from blatantly and dangerously transphobic content. I love so many of the people I've worked with at Netflix. Brilliant people and executives who have been collaborative and fought for important art... But I've been thrown against walls because, 'I'm not a "real" woman.' I've had beer bottles thrown at me. So, @Netflix, I'm done," Moore tweeted.

GLAAD also issued a statement on its Twitter account, writing, "Dave Chappelle's brand has become synonymous with ridiculing trans people and other marginalized communities. Negative reviews and viewers loudly condemning his latest special is a message to the industry that audiences don't support platforming anti-LGBTQ diatribes. We agree."

The National Black Justice Coalition, a civil rights advocacy group focused on the LGBTQ+ community, also reacted and called for Netflix to pull "The Closer" from its catalog.

In October of 2019, the Grammy-nominated rapper told Billboard, "I don’t lose no sleep" over the shooting that he said was "unavoidable."

Chappelle, who previously caught backlash for allegedly transphobic remarks made in his previous Netflix special "Sticks & Stones," concluded his special by offering a half-hearted truce to the LGBTQ+ community when it comes to telling jokes about them.

"I am not telling another joke about you until we are both sure that we are laughing together," the comedian says. "All I ask from your community – with all humility – will you please stop punching down on my people?"

Reps for Chappelle, J.K. Rowling and DaBaby did not immediately return Fox News' requests for comment. A spokesperson for Netflix declined to comment.

The special was ok. I get why some folks got offended. But I also get why Dave went there. Dave entire act is based off being angry at something holding him down.
The whole cancel culture complaints have become parody though. A person can monetize people are trying to cancel me.

Here we go with the boycott threats to Netflix and calling his jokes "dangerous" and equating them to violence.

Dave Chappelle on Thursday laughed off any efforts to get him and his new Netflix special "The Closer" canceled.

The 48-year-old performer took the stage at the Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles on Thursday night for a screening of his documentary. The sold-out crowd also watched performances by Stevie Wonder, Snoop Dogg, Jon Hamm, Nas, Lizzo, poet Amir Sulaiman, Jeff Rose, Talib Kweli and more.

Speaking to the roughly 18,000 people in the crowd while wearing sneakers and a suit, Chappelle touched on the fact that a number of individuals and groups are calling for "The Closer" to be pulled from the streamer because of alleged transphobic comments he made in it, Deadline reports.

He added: "I don’t know what to tell you, except I’m a bad motherf---er."

According to the report, Chappelle shared his own take on today's "cancel culture."

"This is the kindness conspiracy," he said, later adding that he believes Americans "have to trust one another."

At one point during the show, Chappelle also slammed Big Tech by calling out Twitter. "F--- Twitter," he reportedly said, prompting support from the crowd.

Chappelle's appearance Thursday came just two days after the sixth installment in his Netflix deal debuted, prompting outcries from LGBTQ+ activists for his alleged defense of "Harry Potter" author J.K. Rowling.

"They canceled J.K. Rowling – my God," Chappelle says in his special. "Effectively, she said gender was a fact, the trans community got mad as (expletive), they started calling her a TERF."

"I'm Team TERF. I agree. I agree, man. Gender is a fact," Chappelle added (via USA Today). "TERF" stands for "trans-exclusionary radical feminist" and is essentially a term for people who call themselves feminists while still being transphobic.

Many critics ended up taking issue with Chappelle's comments on Twitter. Jaclyn Moore, who is an executive producer and showrunner of "Dear White People," tweeted that the special made her cry. She also vowed to no longer work with the streamer until Netflix puts an end to the inclusion of transphobic comments in its programming.

"I told the story of my transition for @netflix and @most's Pride week. It's a network that's been my home on @DearWhitePeople. I've loved working there. I will not work with them as long as they continue to put out and profit from blatantly and dangerously transphobic content. I love so many of the people I've worked with at Netflix. Brilliant people and executives who have been collaborative and fought for important art... But I've been thrown against walls because, 'I'm not a "real" woman.' I've had beer bottles thrown at me. So, @Netflix, I'm done," Moore tweeted.

GLAAD also issued a statement on its Twitter account, writing, "Dave Chappelle's brand has become synonymous with ridiculing trans people and other marginalized communities. Negative reviews and viewers loudly condemning his latest special is a message to the industry that audiences don't support platforming anti-LGBTQ diatribes. We agree."

The National Black Justice Coalition, a civil rights advocacy group focused on the LGBTQ+ community, also reacted and called for Netflix to pull "The Closer" from its catalog.

In October of 2019, the Grammy-nominated rapper told Billboard, "I don’t lose no sleep" over the shooting that he said was "unavoidable."

Chappelle, who previously caught backlash for allegedly transphobic remarks made in his previous Netflix special "Sticks & Stones," concluded his special by offering a half-hearted truce to the LGBTQ+ community when it comes to telling jokes about them.

"I am not telling another joke about you until we are both sure that we are laughing together," the comedian says. "All I ask from your community – with all humility – will you please stop punching down on my people?"

Reps for Chappelle, J.K. Rowling and DaBaby did not immediately return Fox News' requests for comment. A spokesperson for Netflix declined to comment.

Transphobic rhetoric absolutely fuels violence just like any other xenophobic rhetoric fuels violence. Do we really need to be reminded of our society’s history with homophobic rhetoric and correlated violence?

Chapelle, himself, nods to this by making comparisons to what the black community has endured, and still ensures.

Regardless, this is what I love about art and artists—it gets us thinking and talking. Chappelle is great.

Jaclyn Moore, who is an executive producer and showrunner of "Dear White People,"
Jaclyn-Moore-Dave-Chappelle.jpg

Bill Maher is currently creaming his jeans having his next monologue fall right into his lap.

Sounds like some people just need some AFFIRMATION and AFFIRMATION ONLY.

Anything otherwise is, obvs, PHOBIA, at the least.
No I don’t believe in that at all, that type of either/or binary. Lotta gray area. And the stats and histories support my point.

Sorry neither affirms you. Alas, they just are.

Last edited:
I guess I'm not seeing it. How is him saying the very idea of trans doesn't exist not "cancel culture"? Then he completely ignores the black LGTBQ community - he seems to believe they're all white. “Gay people are minorities until they need to be white again.”

“I’m done talking about it. All I ask of your community, with all humility: Will you please stop punching down on my people?”

Who is "your community"? Who are his "people"?

Cancel culture is defined as " the practice or tendency of engaging in mass canceling as a way of expressing disapproval and exerting social pressure". Seems to fit.

Pryor's crown isn't in jeopardy.

I guess I'm not seeing it. How is him saying the very idea of trans doesn't exist not "cancel culture"? Then he completely ignores the black LGTBQ community - he seems to believe they're all white. “Gay people are minorities until they need to be white again.”

“I’m done talking about it. All I ask of your community, with all humility: Will you please stop punching down on my people?”

Who is "your community"? Who are his "people"?

Cancel culture is defined as " the practice or tendency of engaging in mass canceling as a way of expressing disapproval and exerting social pressure". Seems to fit.

Pryor's crown isn't in jeopardy.
Pryor wouldn't have been as polite as Dave in the current environment.

Reactions: Hawkeyenuts66
I’ve accepted long ago that some people just feel the need for attention and playing “offended” is the new “me too”.

Words hurt you but the word "sorry" makes you feel better? GTFO

Norm says, "hold my beer."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT