ADVERTISEMENT

The Mandalorian

First episode did a good job of creating lots of questions about the character and ended with a teaser of a pretty cool plot going forward.

Nice to see lots of references (droids, species, etc.) from the Star Wars universe we all know.

Reactions: PackerHawkeye1
When is this supposed to take place in the Star Wars timeline? Somewhere between Episodes 1 - 9? Before? After?

It takes place approx 5 years after Return of The Jedi

Visually it looked great, I love the Werner Herzog character. Very interested were it goes.

I was trying to watch while cooking dinner and missed some stuff, so planned to rewatch it... but now I really need to because I clearly missed something.

I was doing the same...rewatched it after dinner.

But just from the math, there's no way it's young ____

Is it one episode a week or are they all released at once for binge watching.

One is released and another Friday and then I think it’s like each Friday until New Year. Something like that.

It takes place approx 5 years after Return of The Jedi

Visually it looked great, I love the Werner Herzog character. Very interested were it goes.
I also thought it looked great. By the way for those without Disney plus, I had no intention of getting it. I saw this thread and googled the show to have something show up in the results that they are including disney plus in a bundle with hulu and espn plus for $12. I already had both of those so I got the bundle and it costs $2 a month. Has original content plus the Pixar movies, marvel movies, etc. won’t use it a lot but enough to offset $24 of rental charges per year. The only negative is that there is no app to download for my smart TVs so I will need to get another Roku or two for the house.

From what I understand the show takes place 11 years after the Battle of Yavin. That is the 1st Death Star. So it would be 7 years after the Battle of Endor, the 2nd Death Star. So, no that isn’t a “young” you know who. At that point the remnants of the empire have broken up into several factions, which may explain why the bounty hunter droid had different instructions than main character. They could have gotten instructions from different groups.

My only complaint about the episode is the extended sequence of him trying to learn to ride the whatever it was. The CGI just wasn’t quite right for that creature compared to how great everything else looked and the scene went on too long. Otherwise the show was beautiful. The aliens looked legitimately real for Star Wars. The shootout was awesome too. Showing the bounty hunter droid actually go to work was neat and something we haven’t seen before. They’ve already developed more intrigue about this character in 40 minutes than the past two main story movies have about many of their new characters.

If you have a 4K tv, try to watch it that way.

My only complaint about the episode is the extended sequence of him trying to learn to ride the whatever it was. The CGI just wasn’t quite right for that creature compared to how great everything else looked and the scene went on too long. Otherwise the show was beautiful. The aliens looked legitimately real for Star Wars. The shootout was awesome too. Showing the bounty hunter droid actually go to work was neat and something we haven’t seen before. They’ve already developed more intrigue about this character in 40 minutes than the past two main story movies have about many of their new characters.

Agree. The two legged, reptile mustang, bronc busting thing didn’t work for me either. Otherwise very cool series launch......I have spoken.

From what I understand the show takes place 11 years after the Battle of Yavin. That is the 1st Death Star. So it would be 7 years after the Battle of Endor, the 2nd Death Star. So, no that isn’t a “young” you know who. At that point the remnants of the empire have broken up into several factions, which may explain why the bounty hunter droid had different instructions than main character. They could have gotten instructions from different groups.

The bounty hunter droid was AWESOME. Was sorry to see it last only one episode. It will be interesting to see what tragedies unfold in this with Rey being the last jedi in the force awakens (along with Luke), in conjunction with the last scene of the Mandalorian.

Reactions: B1GDeal
The bounty hunter droid was AWESOME. Was sorry to see it last only one episode. It will be interesting to see what tragedies unfold in this with Rey being the last jedi in the force awakens (along with Luke), in conjunction with the last scene of the Mandalorian.

I didn't know this until I read another group's discussion on this. But, in the Star Wars universe IG droids are just about a dime a dozen. In Empire Strikes Back, IG-88 is the one shown. In this episode it was IG-11. So don't be surprised to see more of them pop up in the future. I hope so with as cool as that sequence was.

Reactions: Tenacious E
My only concern is how they will do with character development. Characters you love or hate and just plain good story telling is what makes a hit. They can create an expansive world, visually stunning, well shot, well acted, with great action, but without great characters and a great story it doesn't matter.

The actor playing Mando has a very difficult job as it's hard to create a character we can root for without being able to show emotion, which is tough to do with a helmet on.

Reactions: noleclone2
My only concern is how they will do with character development. Characters you love or hate and just plain good story telling is what makes a hit. They can create an expansive world, visually stunning, well shot, well acted, with great action, but without great characters and a great story it doesn't matter.

The actor playing Mando has a very difficult job as it's hard to create a character we can root for without being able to show emotion, which is tough to do with a helmet on.

That’s why they’re using the flashbacks. To give a human element I would guess.

Just watched it again. My God, they needed to let Favreau and gang do the third trilogy.
Wanted to watch with my jaded teenager son Wednesday and he refused saying Star Wars is overplayed and he thought the last many Star Wars movies other than rogue one were stupid. Last night I insisted this was actually good and he watched it with me. He loved it. Since this only drops once a week like GOT did this will be something we all watch together. This is a winner and totally worth the paltry cost of Disney plus alone.

Last edited:
Wanted to watch with my jaded teenager son Wednesday and he refused saying Star Wars is overplayed and he thought the last many Star Wars movies other than rogue one were stupid. Last night I insisted this was actually good and he watched it with me. He loved it. Since this only drops once a week like GOT did this will be something we all watch together. This is a winner and totally worth the paltry cost of Disney plus alone.

Honestly, the thing I love the most, and I hope later episodes are the same, it's gritty. ANH and ESB both had the same grittiness, as did Rogue One and Solo. This was similar. The second trilogy and the first two of the latest trilogy didn't have that.

Anyone catch who the taxi driver was?

Brian Posehn is a huge SW nerd who has made his stand up career about ripping on the Anakin Trilogy. He got real out of control with his Star Wars hate and has fallen back in love with it again since the Force Awakens. He was a cab driver that got eaten by the monster in the beginning. Just a funny tidbit.

Honestly, the thing I love the most, and I hope later episodes are the same, it's gritty. ANH and ESB both had the same grittiness, as did Rogue One and Solo. This was similar. The second trilogy and the first two of the latest trilogy didn't have that.
I thought the force awakens had some grittiness to it. I liked that movie, although I didn't care too much for the last jedi.

Reactions: StonesCat
30 min episodes are a bit annoying

40 minutes. Someday, this series will make it to broadcast TV or they will add a "with commercials" version of Disney+ and they need room to keep it within the hour time slot.

40 minutes. Someday, this series will make it to broadcast TV or they will add a "with commercials" version of Disney+ and they need room to keep it within the hour time slot.

you must not have seen episode 2 yet. Matter of fact, With the intro and post-credits, 30 mins is a stretch.

you must not have seen episode 2 yet. Matter of fact, With the intro and post-credits, 30 mins is a stretch.

Well, those things exist for broadcast shows too. Not that I don't agree with you, I"m just saying it's typical for a network series to leave room for commercials. Although, most network series are 42-45 minutes so it is a bit shorter I guess.

Yep, apparently will tell the story of the rise of the "New Order".

Empire > New Order
Emperor > Snoke
Darth Vader > Kylo Ren

The New Order is weak as hell. With the Empire you could feel their strength and he power hold they held. Seemed like an impossible war for the rebels. Of the new movies Rogue One captured that well. New Order seems like a bunch of wannabe crybabies with identity issues.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
Anyone catch who the taxi driver was?

Brian Posehn is a huge SW nerd who has made his stand up career about ripping on the Anakin Trilogy. He got real out of control with his Star Wars hate and has fallen back in love with it again since the Force Awakens. He was a cab driver that got eaten by the monster in the beginning. Just a funny tidbit.

Wonder if The Last Jedi and Solo put him back into the dumps again? Those movies were terrible.

Wow. I'm surprised. The show seems to be very well received here.

I consider myself a Star Wars nerd, 2nd class. I loved the first three, loved Rogue One - the rest are ok.

I am not digging the Mandalorian. I will continue watching because I like the whole Star Wars backdrop, and I'm hoping for better things. But I am not hooked at all.

Reactions: jonmartn
Our boys loved it. I didn’t even know what a mandalorian was, I’m now a little enlightened. Not hooked myself but if it gives me an hour of tv with my boys each week I’m down with that. After watching both episodes Friday our one son played Star Wars legos the rest of the weekend. Disney knows what they are doing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT