ADVERTISEMENT

"The Mandate/Drive to 325 " and scoring in the rest of the B10. Yikes.

HemiHawk

HR All-American
Sep 30, 2001
Just saw a Sports Illustrated Article. 8 other B10 teams are below the "Drive to 325". The West is worse than I thought. I wonder how that compares to other conferences?

Wiscy
NW
Purdue
MN
IL
NE
MI St
IN

One of our token KF d!ckriders with "See, it's not just Iowa...." in 3...2...1...

Edit - pistachio just beat the buzzer
Gonna refute the NCAA stats? They are what they are.

For reference also, the average scores in the NFL are down on a per game basis also below 25 points per game for teams overall. But those are EXCITING games. They need to be scoring 50 each!

I never understood the 325, mainly because it’s not Iowa’s, or Kirk’s rather, style of winning. Over the years, Iowa wins ugly, not by scoring a lot of points. Iowa wins by not making mistakes and capitalizing on opponent’s mistakes.

Kirk has been notorious for sitting on leads, not even two score leads, but leads alone allowing the defense to win games. It’s hard to say, that with a majority of Iowa’s opponents that it hasn’t been successful over the years. Kirk has won a lot of games. And no, it doesn’t usually work against the big two Mich/OSU. It also allows lesser teams to hang around closer than they should (N’western/IU/Neb 😂).

My point is that I can’t believe Kirk and/or Brian actually went for that stipulation. Unless they thought that they were untouchable either way. It just doesn’t seem like Iowa’s style. I’d love Iowa to score a ton of points every game, but I really don’t care how much they score, honestly, as long as they out score the opponent at the end of the game. I’d much rather see them be able to move the ball when they need to. Eliminate back to back to back 3 and outs. Control the ball on offense and the clock. Unfortunately, we haven’t been able to see any of it these past two years and currently, it appears the worst of it yet.

Having an amazing defense and special teams should make the road to 325 MUCH easier.

Yes, there are other teams failing as well.

But they don’t even compare to our defense/special teams.

Our offense is embarrassing.
Because of this, we are gifted AMAZING field position several times a game and we still cannot sniff the 25 pt average.

Very, very sad when considering where we tend to get the ball.

Reactions: vonviener
Gonna refute the NCAA stats? They are what they are.

For reference also, the average scores in the NFL are down on a per game basis also below 25 points per game for teams overall. But those are EXCITING games. They need to be scoring 50 each!
I think at some point everyone should be able to agree that having the worst offensive production in all of college football over the past 3 years doesn't bode well for the future success of the program. And no, there is nothing entertaining about an offense that goes 3 and out or turns the ball over on 2/3 of their possessions. It's just shitty football.

I never understood the 325, mainly because it’s not Iowa’s, or Kirk’s rather, style of winning. Over the years, Iowa wins ugly, not by scoring a lot of points. Iowa wins by not making mistakes and capitalizing on opponent’s mistakes.

Kirk has been notorious for sitting on leads, not even two score leads, but leads alone allowing the defense to win games. It’s hard to say, that with a majority of Iowa’s opponents that it hasn’t been successful over the years. Kirk has won a lot of games. And no, it doesn’t usually work against the big two Mich/OSU. It also allows lesser teams to hang around closer than they should (N’western/IU/Neb 😂).

My point is that I can’t believe Kirk and/or Brian actually went for that stipulation. Unless they thought that they were untouchable either way. It just doesn’t seem like Iowa’s style. I’d love Iowa to score a ton of points every game, but I really don’t care how much they score, honestly, as long as they out score the opponent at the end of the game. I’d much rather see them be able to move the ball when they need to. Eliminate back to back to back 3 and outs. Control the ball on offense and the clock. Unfortunately, we haven’t been able to see any of it these past two years and currently, it appears the worst of it yet.

A) I agree 25ppg was a little on high side for KF style of ball
B) BF reported to Barta meant KF/BF had to accept dictated terms or walk.

Even without the 25ppg, Goetz likely would have terminated BF given the 3-yr run of lack of offensive success. Add in BF was lucky to side step being fired for the Players suit vs Iowa, and the bad optics of nepotism angle ------not making 325 ppg isn't what got BF fired but it did make it easier.

I think at some point everyone should be able to agree that having the worst offensive production in all of college football over the past 3 years doesn't bode well for the future success of the program. And no, there is nothing entertaining about an offense that goes 3 and out or turns the ball over on 2/3 of their possessions. It's just shitty football.
Yep, even as scoring seems to be going down, Iowa is still the worst at offense. It isn't like Iowa has stayed a a consistent level and others have gone down. There was no plan to fix it and the OC was removed

Complimentary football = offense exists to not screw it up for the defense

Too bad that doesn't win championships. Even Iowa found that out in the years they won a championship. Guess we can't have those nice things anymore though because we can't attract enough talented kids from around the country these days.................................

@pistachio1999

Reactions: Bierhalter
Having an amazing defense and special teams should make the road to 325 MUCH easier.

Yes, there are other teams failing as well.

But they don’t even compare to our defense/special teams.

Our offense is embarrassing.
However playing in a northern climate where the wind has blown at 20 - 30 mph all fall and then you're playing in freezing temps vs. southern states and western states, that's why Big X teams try to run more than pass. It's science...

However playing in a northern climate where the wind has blown at 20 - 30 mph all fall and then you're playing in freezing temps vs. southern states and western states, that's why Big X teams try to run more than pass. It's science...
Yep. It doesn't get cold and windy anywhere in Kentucky, Tennessee, Virginia, Missouri, Utah, Colorado, Norcal, Oregon, or Washington.

Yep. It doesn't get cold and windy anywhere in Kentucky, Tennessee, Virginia, Missouri, Utah, Colorado, Norcal, Oregon, or Washington.
Average-High-Temperature-of-the-US-November.jpg

Case closed. Big X is grey and blue. SEC orange. Hope this visual helps...
80-m-wind-speed-map-of-the-United-States-Source-US-DOE-2010.png

"The West is worse than I thought."
I'm a bit surprised at that statement OP. The fortunately soon to be non-existent big ten west has reached the depths of its awfulness this season. And It was apparent relatively early. The "best" team currently is Iowa which is only 60% of an actual football team. wisky has stepped back significantly so there is very little lift at the top. illanoy and pu are significantly worse than last season. minny is bad. As much as it makes the vomit rise in my throat, nebby is probably the only team with significant improvement and they are still bad. nu is also better record wise, but they remain terrible.
If there was ever a season that demonstrated the inferiority of the big ten west, it's this one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT