ADVERTISEMENT

What is a realistic program to emulate for the offense in short-term and long-term?

Oregon State offense is what iowa needs to emulate.
Bingo.

Structurally it’s really damn similar to what we do, or what we want to do at least. But they’re just really good at actually doing it.

Oregon State is like watching our run game at its absolute best (2002, 2008, 2015 & 16) with the best of KOK’s dropback passing.

We run a scheme similar to mi already, we just don’t have the players to execute it at the same rate. I really thought this year would prove that it’s not the scheme, unfortunately all of the injuries have really derailed it. At least the running game has gained some traction the last couple games. If we can keep improving the running game and the D & ST keep playing the way they are, we have a pretty clear path to Indy.
This

Everyone wants to blame the scheme, which does lack imagination, but we have had some respectable/decent offenses even during the Stanley era. But we require better execution and talent than we are seeing this year (and for the past 2-3 years).

It makes you realize just how valuable guys like Brandon Smith, ISM, Matt Vandeberg, Nick Easley, etc. We just dont have anyone like that, and just look at our starters in Ragaini and Vines, who seem like hard workers but tend to play small and have difficulty getting open combined with average speed at best.

Look at the Outback Bowl in 2019, Stanley passed for over 200 yards and our highest rusher had 7 yards. Easley had over 100 and 2 TD's. Just an example.

Our offensive line has not seen play this poor that I can ever remember under KF, possibly his first year of two, I can barely remember. Now we have gotten a little better in the run game, but we could not compete with PSU and our pass pro is awful.

Our QB play is also historically bad, though not helped at all by the pass pro and lack of any meaningful WR threat. I will never understand why we dont bend over backwards to find true dual threat guys, given we tend to lean on short passes and play action anyway.

Even Ole Miss is an interesting example at they are 102nd in passing percentage (44%) but generate tons of yards. They do have access to better athletes but run significantly more motion and creative ways to get the ball into playmakers hands.

Last edited:
Reactions: Capeto
How ‘bout K State as a realistic long term choice? Similar to Iowa, they can’t pull in too many 4/5 star kids, but their Offense looks good to me and it would be a breath of fresh air in Kinnick…😎

• Haha
Reactions: Hawktagonapus
Fun discussion, but as long as KF is here this is what the offense is going to look like.

• Sad
Reactions: Iron Doc
1994-1997 isn’t Nebraska
You’re correct, 1962-2014 is what Nebraska is, 2015-2022 is the aberration.
Since 2001, Iowa has had ONE season with less than Six wins, and SEVEN seasons with 10+ wins and FOURTEEN seasons with 8+ wins.
Glad you agree and thanks for doing the research, Iowa is 5-8 wins with a ceiling of an occasional 10-12 win season resulting in no conf championship game win and no top 5 finish.

Glad you agree and thanks for doing the research, Iowa is 5-8 wins with a ceiling of an occasional 10-12 win season resulting in no conf championship game win and no top 5 finish.
That’s like a ten win season once every three years. Husker football this century……😂😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: BlowinGuysHawkeye

My God did you get put in your place on the national board Rubbie....

You admitted you went crying to a mod to get me banned.....and it blew up in your face.

Deloish

• Haha
Reactions: BlowinGuysHawkeye
Iowa has the worst offense in the country per metrics and is last in the b1g. To keep it simple, I'll start off by looking at just the current b1g teams.

2023 top offenses in b1g are osu, psu, md, mi, wi, il in that order.
2023 worst offenses are ia, nw, mn, in, ru, ne, msu, pu

Even with our pathetic output, but without getting into details, I feel like we would be overall worse if our offense was literally replaced with nw, mn, in, msu, pu, or md offenses.

So the obvious takeaway for me is that it would be lovely to generate metrics on offense like osu, psu, and mi but the problem is Iowa isn't going to recruit like those guys, so it's a waste of time to consider them. That basically leaves wi, il, ne, ru. Would we be really better overall with a wi, il, ne, or ru offense?

Feel free to suggest other (realistic fits) programs as well.
Just run Army's wishbone-triple option at this point.

Reactions: Iron Doc
Nice link dated from Sept 23rd. Those are rankings for the season before any games were played. I’m talking about reality, moron.

The dude who did that article thinks Houston is a G-5 team this season. Very credible.

Edit to give you some links to real, current SOS rankings that you've chosen to ignore (inbred dipsh*t):

Last edited:
as not seen play this poor that I can ever remember under KF, possibly his first year of two, I can barely remember. Now we have gotten a little better in the run game, but we could not compete with PSU and our pass pro is awful.
The pass protection has been better than the last two years against every opponent not named PSU. Penn St quickly found out they could stop our run game so it became all out pass rush for the PSU DEnds who had linebkrs behind them to cover the edge for a run.

I would at least like them rolling out Hill more on play action so if no one is covered he should be able to pick up a few yards running. The edge players bite on play action then Hill should not have anyone in his face.

And maybe he might be more accurate on the run and then planting his feet. Coaches need to try it to find out, and then make the defense quit crashing down on the run game

Short term? Let's emulate Indiana. They fired their offensive coordinator for doing a really shitty job. Oh you said realistic? Nevermind....
And tell us about Indiana's W-L record for the last 20 years or 10 years or 5 years, you pick!

Iowa has the worst offense in the country per metrics and is last in the b1g. To keep it simple, I'll start off by looking at just the current b1g teams.

2023 top offenses in b1g are osu, psu, md, mi, wi, il in that order.
2023 worst offenses are ia, nw, mn, in, ru, ne, msu, pu

Even with our pathetic output, but without getting into details, I feel like we would be overall worse if our offense was literally replaced with nw, mn, in, msu, pu, or md offenses.

So the obvious takeaway for me is that it would be lovely to generate metrics on offense like osu, psu, and mi but the problem is Iowa isn't going to recruit like those guys, so it's a waste of time to consider them. That basically leaves wi, il, ne, ru. Would we be really better overall with a wi, il, ne, or ru offense?

Feel free to suggest other (realistic fits) programs as well.
MICHIGAN or Georgia
We're just missing a couple of pieces and we're there.

I’d say offensively you look at 129th ranked Eastern Michigan as someone to emulate. And then you go to the next team ranked higher and do the same thing. Might take a while. Long process.

Right now, I would settle for Iowa to emulate an offense with a pulse.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT