ADVERTISEMENT

The Merry-go-round just keeps spinning

HawkNorth

HR All-State
Nov 24, 2003
This article is mostly about the Gophers but illustrates the complete chaos of the NIL/transfer portal situation. I’m usually happy when other Big Ten teams lose their best players but now, with arguably our best player leaving, it feels closer to home. Teams are basically starting over every year. It’s ridiculous.

Gophers' losses mount: Pharrel Payne, Braeden Carrington, Isaiah Ihnen enter transfer portal​

The Gophers men's basketball team has seen three sophomores from Minnesota enter the transfer portal over two days.​

By Marcus Fuller Star Tribune
March 28, 2024 — 4:40pm
Gophers forward Pharrel Payne continued his development this season under coach Ben Johnson.

A surprise loss for Gophers men's basketball coach Ben Johnson came Thursday with sophomore big man Pharrel Payne officially entering the transfer portal. Within a few hours, sophomore Braeden Carrington and junior forward Isaiah Ihnen entered the portal, too.

Payne, a 6-9 Cottage Grove native, averaged 10 points, 6.1 rebounds and a team-best 1.4 blocks this season for the Gophers, who made a 10-win improvement in Johnson's third season.

Carrington, a 6-4 guard who was Minnesota Mr. Basketball at Park Center, took a break starting in December to address his mental health. He returned and averaged 4.6 points and 3.2 rebounds while playing a role as the team's top perimeter defender.

On Wednesday, Gophers sophomore forward Joshua Ola-Joseph was the first to enter the transfer portal. Ola-Joseph, Payne and Carrington were members of the U's 2022 recruiting class.

Ihnen, who missed two straight years with knee injuries, averaged 3.4 points in 11.1 minutes per game this season.

Progress this season for the Gophers wasn't enough to keep many of them invested in the program. Players talked to Johnson about their intent to transfer during meetings this week. The opportunity for more lucrative name, image and likeness opportunities was likely a factor in some of their decisions.

The Gophers (19-15) ended their season last Sunday with a 76-64 loss at Indiana State in the NIT second round. Payne finished with a team-best 16 points and eight rebounds in his last game. Carrington had two points in 25 minutes off the bench.

After the Big Ten tournament loss at Michigan State, Payne and Carrington both talked about their excitement over the Gophers' potential next season if most of the core players returned.

"I think it's important to keep the group together, so we can keep building on it," Payne told the Star Tribune at Target Center. "Imagine what we could do if we keep the group together for next year."

Carrington previously on the Gophers' potential: "I feel like if you keep us together, we're a top four team in the league. And we could possibly break into the top 25."

Starting point guard Elijah Hawkins said he would be back, but leading scorer Dawson Garcia and all-league freshman Cam Christie were among the players uncertain about their future. Since the end of the season, starting guard Mike Mitchell Jr.'s return is in limbo as well.

The Gophers are expected to have redshirt freshman Kadyn Betts back and possibly senior Parker Fox. But Payne's likely transfer leaves a big hole in the middle. The Gophers are hosting North Dakota State center Andrew Morgan on Thursday. They also add Alexandria high school senior Grayson Grove in the 2024 recruiting class.

The Big Ten had 10 of its 14 teams suffer losses to the transfer portal as of Thursday afternoon, including nine teams with at least three departures. Rutgers (6), Penn State (5), Michigan (4) and Nebraska (4) also had at least four players in the portal. Wisconsin's A.J. Storr, Iowa's Tony Perkins and Rutgers' Cliff Omoruyi were among the all-league players transferring.

Welp, our Hawkeyes mediocrity now has company!
This NIL process like anything else will find it’s equilibrium and this game of who’s who each season will become a common occurrence. The biggest losers will be programs unable to make the transition and coach new players in their system quickly

As Seinfeld famously said " we are just cheering for laundry"

The whole concept behind NIL was players establishing their own brand within the structure of their college team....fuggutaboutitt.

This has clearly become nothing more than a cash grab by players.

Meanwhile, the Hawks could use Payne and Carrington...garcia and Christie of course but I think they head to NBA.

This reminds me a little of the border issue....everyone knows we need legislative remedy but gridlock will let it fester...forever.

If they could somehow restrict immediate eligibility it would restore order.

As Seinfeld famously said " we are just cheering for laundry"

The whole concept behind NIL was players establishing their own brand within the structure of their college team....fuggutaboutitt.

This has clearly become nothing more than a cash grab by players.

Meanwhile, the Hawks could use Payne and Carrington...garcia and Christie of course but I think they head to NBA.

This reminds me a little of the border issue....everyone knows we need legislative remedy but gridlock will let it fester...forever.

If they could somehow restrict immediate eligibility it would restore order.

Wow...the gopher coach seemed to have a turnaround going...the Portal giveth and then Taketh away

aggreed---this will end up hurting the golden goose---TV ratings.

That said, if Iowa pulled an ISU, I'd be watching with more interest

Caitlin Clark is what NIL was intended to be, not Tony Perkins shopping himself for $300k. Alabama is in the Elite 8 with 4 transfers this year which shows that pay for play works.

This roster turnover is going to kill the game, especially as you see all conference players leave the big ten and other high major places for a bigger bag.

My interest this year has been at an all time low and I’m sure I’m not alone.

Caitlin Clark is what NIL was intended to be, not Tony Perkins shopping himself for $300k. Alabama is in the Elite 8 with 4 transfers this year which shows that pay for play works.

This roster turnover is going to kill the game, especially as you see all conference players leave the big ten and other high major places for a bigger bag.

Same. I've still watched a lot of March Madness because IMO it's the greatest sporting event there is, but when it came to regular season.. meh. I watched most Iowa games, but otherwise almost nothing.

A lot of this is directly due to Iowa's lack of success, but NIL failures would only feed into that by limiting success and lowering our ceiling. Seeing other programs get massive benefits from it is annoying when Iowa is standing there with empty pockets.

Same. I've still watched a lot of March Madness because IMO it's the greatest sporting event there is, but when it came to regular season.. meh. I watched most Iowa games, but otherwise almost nothing.

A lot of this is directly due to Iowa's lack of success, but NIL failures would only feed into that by limiting success and lowering our ceiling. Seeing other programs get massive benefits from it is annoying when Iowa is standing there with empty pockets.
While true, I am also unwilling to “donate” so it has been easier to accept. I’m not playing a game that I find to be incredibly stupid, so I don’t expect others to step up in my place. The system worked well, so they broke it entirely.

While true, I am also unwilling to “donate” so it has been easier to accept. I’m not playing a game that I find to be incredibly stupid, so I don’t expect others to step up in my place. The system worked well, so they broke it entirely.
I too have determined not to contribute to this madness. I really don't mind that hard working players get something on top of their scholarship...but I just can't get excited about sending in donations so an average PG can knock down $300K/yr.

Especially when there are millions of dollars available via TV contracts, etc. WTH? The system is broken IMO and I think it is beyond repair at this point.

This system is the result of failure at so many levels. What is amazing is that so many could see the good in it without anticipating the bad.
Very true. ^^ FWIW, I feel like that is also true for MANY other situations where people propose a solution with little to no idea of the unintended consequences.

Reactions: HawkPT
I too have determined not to contribute to this madness. I really don't mind that hard working players get something on top of their scholarship...but I just can't get excited about sending in donations so an average PG can knock down $300K/yr.

Especially when there are millions of dollars available via TV contracts, etc. WTH? The system is broken IMO and I think it is beyond repair at this point.

if Tony Perkins is worth $300,000 (which is what is rumored that he wants), we're royally you know what. @TheTruthTheWholeTruth might be able to expand on this rumor.

There has been talk of revenue sharing but will that help? Players like Tony Perkins will still want his $300,000 PLUS his TV revenue share.

Yep, I've always been in favor of college athletes being able to earn some cash off their name.. Always thought it was stupid that it was against NCAA rules. But, I was thinking more in terms of doing autograph sessions and whatnot. Not a "highest bidder wins" type of situation.

I’m not understanding all these guys transferring that are already at Power 6 schools. Perk and Pat, they’ve put their time in. 4 years of playing so I’m good with that. There’s only so many other Power 6 schools for these kids to go to. And they’re starters at these schools. Make it make sense.

I’m not understanding all these guys transferring that are already at Power 6 schools. Perk and Pat, they’ve put their time in. 4 years of playing so I’m good with that. There’s only so many other Power 6 schools for these kids to go to. And they’re starters at these schools. Make it make sense.
It’s pretty simple or straightforward. They are auctioning themselves off to the highest bidder.

The mid majors are hurt big time by the portal.

if Tony Perkins is worth $300,000 (which is what is rumored that he wants), we're royally you know what. @TheTruthTheWholeTruth might be able to expand on this rumor.

There has been talk of revenue sharing but will that help? Players like Tony Perkins will still want his $300,000 PLUS his TV revenue share.
yep, once they all unionize they'll get the TV cash. JBo for union president...

Reactions: chuck285
yep, once they all unionize they'll get the TV cash. JBo for union president...
I think you mean Jay Bilas - he was the original proponent of this all. He and a former UCLA (I think) basketball player whose name escapes me.

Team with their NIL shit together are going to stockpile talent and make deep NCAA tournaments runs over teams whose fans don’t buy into the NIL landscape.

It is what it is.
Either get on board or get ran the **** over.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
Not that I love this, but I think the only way forward is to just do the full-on pro model. There is way too much money floating around with tv contracts and ticket sales that it is not fair for the universities and coaches to make all of the money. It is not good for the game for kids to be moving around all the time (wait until somebody switches teams during the season!) because loyalty and viewership and eventually money will stop and everyone loses. So they have got to come up with a compensation model where the universities share revenue and sign these kids to contracts. If they don't do it soon I predict it will be too late because the one driving force behind all of this is interest and if that goes away so does the money.

These guys are in for a rude awakening once they graduate from college and their playing days are behind them. Employers will laugh at their demands and tell them to hit the door. This is what happens when you continue to give, they want more and more to the point they think they deserve it all. It doesn’t work that way. Good luck paid athletes. So much for that education trade off.

Team with their NIL shit together are going to stockpile talent and make deep NCAA tournaments runs over teams whose fans don’t buy into the NIL landscape.

It is what it is.
Either get on board or get ran the **** over.
I don't see a stockpile in this. Kids want to play also and if they are not playing, they will jump back into the portal asking for more money and move on to somewhere to play. Desire to play is in their minds to get to the NBA.

Not that I love this, but I think the only way forward is to just do the full-on pro model. There is way too much money floating around with tv contracts and ticket sales that it is not fair for the universities and coaches to make all of the money. It is not good for the game for kids to be moving around all the time (wait until somebody switches teams during the season!) because loyalty and viewership and eventually money will stop and everyone loses. So they have got to come up with a compensation model where the universities share revenue and sign these kids to contracts. If they don't do it soon I predict it will be too late because the one driving force behind all of this is interest and if that goes away so does the money.
I've said it's turned somewhat into semi-Pro situation and I can't see college athletics lasting this way.

Exactly it's to the point that this is really the only way to right the ship. They will have to be unionized, schools will have salary caps and contracts will be 1-4 years.
NIL will somewhat disappear as college players will be on the pro model. They can still do commercials, spokesman, auto appearances, etc for extra cash but no more going to the portal for the highest bidder.
It's really the only way to get players to stay bc they will be on contract. It will be between whoever about how long/how much, redshirt, if they just get tuition or just cash/cash+tuition etc.

I think you mean Jay Bilas - he was the original proponent of this all. He and a former UCLA (I think) basketball player whose name escapes me.
What O Bannon was fighting for is way different than what is going on now. He was on the cover of the EA Sports basketball game which was extremely popular. And he was fighting for getting paid for them using his name, image and likeness and since he was in college he wasn't able to get paid for it. Which he should have.

I'm going to disagree with this paragraph of your post. There are plenty of laws on the books to close the border and fix the immigration system (two separate issues) if only they would be enforced or implemented. Unfortunately most of them were thrown out by executive order in January 2021.

Reactions: LukaDuka
Exactly it's to the point that this is really the only way to right the ship. They will have to be unionized, schools will have salary caps and contracts will be 1-4 years.
NIL will somewhat disappear as college players will be on the pro model. They can still do commercials, spokesman, auto appearances, etc for extra cash but no more going to the portal for the highest bidder.
It's really the only way to get players to stay bc they will be on contract. It will be between whoever about how long/how much, redshirt, if they just get tuition or just cash/cash+tuition etc.
I would also like to see "team" incentives if this pay for play continues. On top of a scheduled NIL fee, Give players $X for each win. They only receive the money after they graduate.

Also consider a nominal upfront NIL fee for when the arrive on campus. The money increases for each year they stay with the team. And another lump sum for them graduating.

With the G League Ignite folding, I believe you're going to see more talent in NCAA's. Especially with NIL. Just need to get this under control and fair and equitable so the big schools don't stockpile with huge NIL offerings.

Yep, I've always been in favor of college athletes being able to earn some cash off their name.. Always thought it was stupid that it was against NCAA rules. But, I was thinking more in terms of doing autograph sessions and whatnot. Not a "highest bidder wins" type of situation.

How is it hard to understand that Tony Perkins wants $300,000, for his autograph/signature, at the new school of his choice?

It was not that difficult to see the writing on the wall once you allow NIL.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
Just as other workers with highly valuable skills do all the time.

That's all well and good... But this is a sports league discussion and there is a reason that the pros have rules in place to keep teams operating on a semi-even playing field. It's better for the GAME and in the end, better for the game.

Salary caps and Contracts.... That's how the NFL levels the playing field. NCAA has nothing to keep the field level, when it comes to buying a team. Just chaos.

The BEST thing about March Madness... Is the Madness of small schools from small conferences beating the large "Goliath" teams. Are we going to see less and less of that when players are leaving these schools at a rate that hasn't been seen before? Time will tell.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT