ADVERTISEMENT

The next Athletic Director? Will it be Beth? Who decides?

Can't say I disagree, but to my point Kirk is beloved by boosters. Would the university take a PR hit if they don't hire this AD because she's in the LBGTQ community? It should not, but it's the lefty world we live in these days.
So you are saying discrimination against LBGTQ and of a female is ok and just a bunch of lefties who would get ruffled? I would say a whole lot of moderate women and men would not like this. She has been interim for 5 months and has finally forced some action on the down the drain spiral that is the Iowa football offense.

I think it would be a terrible PR look for Iowa to have her in the interim position this long and not hire her permanently.

Nice to have an Iowa homophobic, misogynistic hillbilly chime in every once in a while to remind me of what a good idea it was for me to leave the state…
Very good response, and remember NW Iowa kept re-electing Do Nothing Steve King, the white supremecist fascist spouting creep. King had 14 sessions in the US House and I cannot remember any legislation he put forward even being mentioned let alone passed. What does that say about the Iowa electorate??? And I live in Iowa

So no one here has said if the boosters have any say in the hire, or is it solely on the pres &/or board?
Well like any big corporate like decision the CEO, the board, and you could call high profile boosters as being akin to people who own a lot of stock in a company as those who have a big say.

But boosters do not have the power that large blocks of shareholders do. So in the end it is the Pres and whatever they call the Board in Control of Athletics now.

Reactions: LukaDuka
Well like any big corporate like decision the CEO, the board, and you could call high profile boosters as being akin to people who own a lot of stock in a company as those who have a big say.

But boosters do not have the power that large blocks of shareholders do. So in the end it is the Pres and whatever they call the Board in Control of Athletics now.
“Having say” and making the decision are very, very different things. #1, this is a University President decision, as that’s who the AD ultimately reports to. “The boosters” are not a body with an official vote and it’s pretty unlikely that they are of one mind on the AD position anyway.

I suppose if the bulk of the big money donors were so absolutely against Beth Goetz because she’s LGBTQ+ that they went to the the president and said they were pulling every dollar if she was hired, maybe that would impact the decision, but let’s be real - A) I doubt the vast majority actually think that way, B) They likely would not want to go that clearly on the record as absolute bigots and C) Even in a world where that could happen that sentiment would have been expressed long, long ago.

As someone else already said in this thread, you do not let Beth act as interim for this long and let her make some of the decisions she’s made (BF, complete change of course on NIL, etc) just to decide this far in that you can’t hire her because of her sexual orientation. At this point, if she doesn’t get the job, the person they do hire would have to have an insane resume/background because Beth is as qualified as anyone could be for this job.

Do the big monied boosters get involved or have a say? Afterall, one of the biggest roles for today's AD's is raising money. The only thing Barta was capable of. Beth has pissed on KF, who boosters seem to love. Boosters are typically older white conservatives. Will they shy away from a person of LBGTQ? Will KF tell the boosters to give Beth the boot? Or hire another KF friendly AD and leave Beth at assistant AD?
How has Beth pissed on KF? By firing his son who was not doing his job as OC, a position he should never deserved? She had the spine to do something Barta didn't. Fire the worst OC in College Football.

“Having say” and making the decision are very, very different things. #1, this is a University President decision, as that’s who the AD ultimately reports to. “The boosters” are not a body with an official vote and it’s pretty unlikely that they are of one mind on the AD position anyway.

I suppose if the bulk of the big money donors were so absolutely against Beth Goetz because she’s LGBTQ+ that they went to the the president and said they were pulling every dollar if she was hired, maybe that would impact the decision, but let’s be real - A) I doubt the vast majority actually think that way, B) They likely would not want to go that clearly on the record as absolute bigots and C) Even in a world where that could happen that sentiment would have been expressed long, long ago.

As someone else already said in this thread, you do not let Beth act as interim for this long and let her make some of the decisions she’s made (BF, complete change of course on NIL, etc) just to decide this far in that you can’t hire her because of her sexual orientation. At this point, if she doesn’t get the job, the person they do hire would have to have an insane resume/background because Beth is as qualified as anyone could be for this job

As someone else already said in this thread, you do not let Beth act as interim for this long and let her make some of the decisions she’s made (BF, complete change of course on NIL, etc) just to decide this far in that you can’t hire her because of her sexual orientation. At this point, if she doesn’t get the job, the person they do hire would have to have an insane resume/background because Beth is as qualified as anyone could be for this job.
probably the best response I've seen.

How has Beth pissed on KF? By firing his son who was not doing his job as OC, a position he should never deserved? She had the spine to do something Barta didn't. Fire the worst OC in College Football.
By not allowing a 25 year coach make the change at the end of the year.... and I firmly believe Kirk wouldv'e made the change. It wouldv'e been a much better look to let Kirk lead the narrative and to advise of off season changes & not disrupt the season by publicly firing Brian and humiliating Kirk & Brian. And I get the narrative they humiliated themselves by putting this product on the field. But Beth & the Pres shouldv'e shown more respect to Kirk & his program.

So yes, she/they pissed on Kirk in this fashion.

By not allowing a 25 year coach make the change at the end of the year.... and I firmly believe Kirk wouldv'e made the change. It wouldv'e been a much better look to let Kirk lead the narrative and to advise of off season changes & not disrupt the season by publicly firing Brian and humiliating Kirk & Brian. And I get the narrative they humiliated themselves by putting this product on the field. But Beth & the Pres shouldv'e shown more respect to Kirk & his program.

No way in hell would Kirk make that change. You may firmly believe that, but no way Kirk gets rid of his own kid.

I think you just regurgiated the same things I said.

No way in hell would Kirk make that change. You may firmly believe that, but no way Kirk gets rid of his own kid.
You have to think at some point that Brian would want to salvage some pride and leave for something else….but either way, I’m glad Beth moved him along.

You have to think at some point that Brian would want to salvage some pride and leave for something else….but either way, I’m glad Beth moved him along.
Word is Brian suggested just that after 2022 but Kirk talked him into staying. Bad call. BFz could have a solid career as an asst OL or TE coach. That's where he should have stayed at Iowa.

It's pretty clear by now that Kirk was trying to position Brian to be the next HC. IMHO and that of many others...it was a selfish move where he put himself above the team and program. It will cast a significant shade on the end of his tenure.

It may not have been why it was announced mid-season, but as someone who consumes a good amount of sports I have no doubt that the outside noise and negativity would have been so much worse letting the "drive to 325" talk keep going. And we also never heard another "fire Brian" chant at a game after that. Best move they could have made announcing when they did for the overall publicity of the program IMO.

Leave for something else? He was an offensive coordinator in a major conference in Division 1 college football. What else would he want to leave for?

Leave for something else? He was an offensive coordinator in a major conference in Division 1 college football. What else would he want to leave for?
To go to a place where fans aren’t chanting to fire him every home game.

To go to a place where fans aren’t chanting to fire him every home game.
If he can't do his job any better than he did it here, he'll get booed wherever he goes at whatever job he gets. It's not right that he was so heavily criticised here, most of the blame has to be dropped at Kirk's feet but he was not good enough

If he can't do his job any better than he did it here, he'll get booed wherever he goes at whatever job he gets. It's not right that he was so heavily criticised here, most of the blame has to be dropped at Kirk's feet but he was not good enough
Not a lot of boos directed at the offensive analyst or position coach in the NFL.

Reactions: icwesthawk
Not a lot of boos directed at the offensive analyst or position coach in the NFL.
Maybe not as loud but still happens. Giants just fired Oline coach and offensive analyst today, they were being booed just not loud enough for you to hear.

Especially when he’s actually demonstrated real excellence as a position coach in the NFL and college. He’s not an incompetent coach who has accomplished nothing in his career - he’s simply not a good OC.

You really think Kirk would've let Brian go? They won 10 games you know.

• Haha
Reactions: doughuddl2
Very good response, and remember NW Iowa kept re-electing Do Nothing Steve King, the white supremecist fascist spouting creep. King had 14 sessions in the US House and I cannot remember any legislation he put forward even being mentioned let alone passed. What does that say about the Iowa electorate??? And I live in Iowa
Go away, keep your Marxist political crap off the football board.

The university sent out an email about a month ago with the committee members selected for the AD search. I’ll look for it tomorrow at work and post it. When I read through the list of committee members I was…surprised. The chair was an academic professor, a few athletes-none I’d heard of, an alumni physician/philanthropist, and I believe Rick Heller was also on it.

Not sure who universities usually assign to these type of committees, but the list of names was relatively uninspiring for this type of hire IMO.

Link
https://now.uiowa.edu/news/2023/11/ui-begins-national-search-athletics-director

Last edited:
The university sent out an email about a month ago with the committee members selected for the AD search. I’ll look for it tomorrow at work and post it. When I read through the list of committee members I was…surprised. The chair was an academic professor, a few athletes-none I’d heard of, an alumni physician/philanthropist, and I believe Rick Heller was also on it.

Not sure who universities usually assign to these type of committees, but the list of names was relatively uninspiring for this type of hire IMO.

Link
https://now.uiowa.edu/news/2023/11/ui-begins-national-search-athletics-director
The smoking gun of the dog and pony show!!

So you are saying discrimination against LBGTQ and of a female is ok and just a bunch of lefties who would get ruffled? I would say a whole lot of moderate women and men would not like this. She has been interim for 5 months and has finally forced some action on the down the drain spiral that is the Iowa football offense.

I think it would be a terrible PR look for Iowa to have her in the interim position this long and not hire her permanently.
Who gives a damn about her LGBTQ or whatever?
Is she smart
Is she competitive
Does she have good judgment
Does she have a good network
Is she respected and trusted
Hard worker?
Hire her on these criteria and other capabilities. Otherwise don’t for these same reasons if they are shortfalls

They need to quit wasting time and money and just hire her. Everything I read and hear is that she is outstanding. I don't care what her sexual orientation or if the person is male or female. If that person is the best option, hire that person and move on. She's been around long enough the university knows what they're getting.

You really think Kirk would've let Brian go? They won 10 games you know.
His one year contract metric for points per game was not going to be met and Brian did not report to Kirk, he reported to Beth. So he was not going to be retained. It was not Kirk's decision. Kirk saw the writing on the wall but would have preferred waiting until year end. Not sure what timing would work better but that is in the rear view mirror. Time to get past Brian's poor performances and move forward.

...But boosters do not have the power that large blocks of shareholders do. So in the end it is the Pres and whatever they call the Board in Control of Athletics now.

As someone else already said in this thread, you do not let Beth act as interim for this long and let her make some of the decisions she’s made (BF, complete change of course on NIL, etc) just to decide this far in that you can’t hire her because of her sexual orientation...

Not only the above, but the UofI doesn't even bring BG on board to help Barta if there was an issue w/ her LGBT...

You don’t know how it went down. She may have given him every chance to control the narrative, and he wouldn’t play ball, forcing her to show him who’s boss. I know you want BG to come off as weak (controlled by the Prez) and evil, but it is very possible that she is just plain really good at the job….that’s what I firmly believe.

You don’t know how it went down. She may have given him every chance to control the narrative, and he wouldn’t play ball, forcing her to show him who’s boss. I know you want BG to come off as weak (controlled by the Prez) and evil, but it is very possible that she is just plain really good at the job….that’s what I firmly believe.

yep an interim employee holds more power than a 25 year tenured hall of fame coach...

Firmly....

Hard To Believe Organized Crime GIF by Law & Order

It may not have been why it was announced mid-season, but as someone who consumes a good amount of sports I have no doubt that the outside noise and negativity would have been so much worse letting the "drive to 325" talk keep going. And we also never heard another "fire Brian" chant at a game after that. Best move they could have made announcing when they did for the overall publicity of the program IMO.
Exactly!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT