ADVERTISEMENT

The original, "One shining moment". From the 1987 NCAA tournament and our Hawkeyes were a good chunk of it

Pretty sure we crushed the Hoosiers at home and barely lost on the road. Deepest team we ever had and among the most talented.

I was a kid working my first job at a gas station and wasn’t able to watch. Due to that fact, I still find it hard to believe. That team was so good.

Raveling's final recruiting class of Gamble, Les Jepsen, Roy Marble, Ed Horton, and BJ Armstrong might be the best class at Iowa ever. Dr Tom had it really tough his first few years.

I don't think there is a close 2nd unless you go back to the 50's.

Should have been playing Cuse for it all.

The fastest and most painful 18 point lead I've seen evaporate.

Raveling's final recruiting class of Gamble, Les Jepsen, Roy Marble, Ed Horton, and BJ Armstrong might be the best class at Iowa ever. Dr Tom had it really tough his first few years.
Agree 100%.

g
Very talented team in 1987. Kevin Gamble seldom gets mentioned as one of the great players at Iowa, mostly because he transferred in and only really played a lot his final year. He was one of the best off guards to put on a Hawkeye uniform.
Agree 100% Kevin was a special player. Much better than he got credit for.

Very talented team in 1987. Kevin Gamble seldom gets mentioned as one of the great players at Iowa, mostly because he transferred in and only really played a lot his final year. He was one of the best off guards to put on a Hawkeye uniform.
A great one. Also was Comeback player of year in NBA or 6th man of year. Very good player. Coaching somewhere in area. Would be good addition to Iowa's men's. Matt Bullard forgotten also?

Reactions: Chishawk1425
Very cool to watch. I was born that year so obviously I remember none of it, but as a life long Iowa basketball fan it’s nice to see the excitement that was March Madness even back then and how much fun it must have been to be an Iowa men’s basketball fan that year.
A deep NCAA run is always gonna be fun. That one was serious fun for 3 1/2 games. :(

That team had an amazing amount of talent. Can't remember if Sir Jamolot Gerry Wright was a member. All that talent and still could not win the BIG :>(

A great one. Also was Comeback player of year in NBA or 6th man of year. Very good player. Coaching somewhere in area. Would be good addition to Iowa's men's. Matt Bullard forgotten also?
Bull seems very happy as a BB analyst. Really good player, who would have been even better without injuries. There were other very good players on the team Dr. Tom inherited, including Lohaus, Lorenzen, Gerry Wright, Jeff Moe, Kent Hill, and Bill Jones, who was another underappreciated player. Probably others, but too lazy to look them up.

Last edited:
Thanks. As good as "One Shining Moment" was, I'd definitely prefer Kenny Loggins' "This Is It," the theme to the 1980 run. Questions: what was the span of "This Is It" and what is the current theme song.

Gamble running before the shot already went in, classic!
And looking back, Tarkanian chewing on a towel was a little strange. Helluva coach (or recruiter?) though!

Bull seems very happy as a BB analyst. Really good player, who would have been even better without injuries. There were other very good players on the team Dr. Tom inherited, including Lohaus, Lorenzen, Gerry Wright, Jeff Moe, Kent Hill, and Bill Jones, who was another underappreciated player. Probably others, but too lazy to look them up.
Matt cool. Shot the 3 in NBA. With knees, like Tom Chambers. Very good potential that team. When I think of all talent in those days. Ralph and Lute skills pop up. And Coach Fry. Today LISA and mates! Go Hawks. As Catlin says 110% A do-able....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT