ADVERTISEMENT

The Pemsl rebound

Garza and Jbo were exactly what we hope/expect them to be.

Joe W is playing way too soft, but at least hit some open shots tonight.

But the big plays out of Pemsl, CJ and Joe T were the difference in the game.

Like Conner or not, his defense was fabulous tonight.

Hard to understand Bakari continuing to be thrown out there. He is hurting us badly at both ends. I'm hopeful that Fran continuing to run him out there must mean that he is seeing something in practice that he is just waiting to come out in these games.

Go Hawks!

CJ plays great defense always guards other teams best guard and locked down Ramsey who is a lottery pick.....Where is everyone when he signed shitting on Fran for taking this kid?.... Kid will be all frosh Big Ten and possible all def

CJ plays great defense always guards other teams best guard and locked down Ramsey who is a lottery pick.....Where is everyone when he signed shitting on Fran for taking this kid?.... Kid will be all frosh Big Ten and possible all def

CJ better than Fran's other 2G's...Ogelsby, Flemming, Ellingson..so he got one right for a change. Doubt Fredrick will be All B1G Freshman, but even if he is, Eric May was All B1G freshman and he was not All B1G by the time he graduated.

I’ll bite — he has surprised me quite a bit. Many of you were right about him. I am just not going to buy practice reports as they do not always translate to what we see on the court. We’ve heard in the past ‘he never misses’ or ‘is lighting it up’ for guys that can’t produce at all when there’s an actual opponent. I need to see it first and CJ has delivered so far.

I am most impressed with his defense and willingness to defend. That’s really refreshing.

CJ better than Fran's other 2G's...Ogelsby, Flemming, Ellingson..so he got one right for a change. Doubt Fredrick will be All B1G Freshman, but even if he is, Eric May was All B1G freshman and he was not All B1G by the time he graduated.

Those other guys were one dimensional shooters. CJ has a well rounded game. And he’s a pretty good athlete. I’m not sure he’s ever going to be a star, but he’s going to help us win a lot of games. Can handle some; shoot some; good size; good athlete; good defender and seems like a gym rat.

CJ better than Fran's other 2G's...Ogelsby, Flemming, Ellingson..so he got one right for a change. Doubt Fredrick will be All B1G Freshman, but even if he is, Eric May was All B1G freshman and he was not All B1G by the time he graduated.[/QUOTE
CJ doesn’t quite have Mays build but has a much better jumper than Eric had

Reactions: Fran-Con-2

Hard to understand Bakari continuing to be thrown out there. He is hurting us badly at both ends. I'm hopeful that Fran continuing to run him out there must mean that he is seeing something in practice that he is just waiting to come out in these games.

Go Hawks!

We are going to need Evelyn for 5 minutes a game for breathers and foul trouble. He just needs to handle the Dailey role.

If you recall, Pemsl has the huge Offensive Reb and kick out to Bohannon for three to beat Wisconsin a few years back.

Yes, I recall. Another favorite moment. I distinctly remember coming out of the timeout Pemsl counseling another big (don't recall who) to bring the board down and kick it out (based on the visual only but it really looked that way to me). The video is out there on YouTube, people would see it too if they're paying attention.

I also like when Garza came in lieu of Pemsl and Cordell made it a point to "fire up" Luka. I'm sure others recall that as well. Pemsl really seems like a great team mate. I love his intensity; especially against ISU.

I'm hoping someone can light a fire under Joe W. He really faultered down the stretch and made uncharacteristic mistakes. CMac got in his face telling him to toughen up after his last turnover so maybe the other guys can motivate him

Prefer we had a better track record. May was a fantastic athlete but not really a well rounded basketball player IMO, CJF, on the other hand, is like a swiss army knife, really does about everything well. He has a bright future.

He’s a much better 4 than any of our other big men. Despite being the worst shooting big. That’s because he can defend his position competently, rebound, and make some good passes every now and again. Our other bigs would have to shoot outstanding to justify playing the 4. He just has to be himself.

CJ mostly disappeared in the second half until his huge shot. I saw him get out of position on defense a few times in the 2nd half. He didn't play that much after halftime. BUT, he is a freshman and will have some up and down performances from game to game and even within games. Hitting that shot near the end to extend the lead was a big time play and Pemsl, you can always count on hustle from him.

CJ mostly disappeared in the second half until his huge shot. I saw him get out of position on defense a few times in the 2nd half. He didn't play that much after halftime. BUT, he is a freshman and will have some up and down performances from game to game and even within games. Hitting that shot near the end to extend the lead was a big time play and Pemsl, you can always count on hustle from him.

What game were you watching...He played the whole second half buy a couple minutes....wasnt disappear he was taking what the defense was giving him and feeding Luka. CJ played great D as did the team hes always in gap help and saving others when they get beat. He shut down a lottery pick kid is a stud

Pemsl is what he is at this point in his career after multiple injuries.

slow, little athletic ability with weak ball skills.

But he does hustle and has some decent low post moves. That rebound was huge and finding an open CJ for the dagger was probably the play of day.

That rebound and pass to CJ for the 3 was the play of the game. Reminded me of his pass to Bohannon for the 3 to win the game against Wisconsin.

Pemsl makes me cringe sometimes, he can make a great play and then be a total bonehead, but I do think he brings vocal leadership that the team needs.

Didn’t realize Weiskamp was playing hurt, that explains his being loose with the ball. I thought he rebounded well yesterday, which we are going to need if we play small ball.

I was pulling my hair out when Fran put Pemsl in for Connor after the foul out. Thought we needed an extra ball handler like Toussaint. Glad he showed me up with the pass and two clutch FT’s.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
I was pulling my hair out when Fran put Pemsl in for Connor after the foul out. Thought we needed an extra ball handler like Toussaint. Glad he showed me up with the pass and two clutch FT’s.

My thought too. Coach must not quite trust Toussaint in end of game yet.

CJ played 30 mins last night. Not sure how much of that was 2nd half but “didn’t play much in 2nd half” can’t be accurate.

Go Hawks!
I totally disagree about Joe W. Actually, I think he 's trying way to hard. I think between the NBA guys and Fran telling him to be more aggressive, and that this is his team to carry now, (along with the uncertainty of JBO situation), has him pressing too much, and not staying within himself. He had a very good first half, and carried Iowa until Garza got going later. He also played hard on defense, and got some big boards. Joe will be fine.

Reactions: owenhawk
What game were you watching...He played the whole second half buy a couple minutes....wasnt disappear he was taking what the defense was giving him and feeding Luka. CJ played great D as did the team hes always in gap help and saving others when they get beat. He shut down a lottery pick kid is a stud

Maybe I lost his number at times or something because he seemed mostly invisible to me and the D in the second half wasn't as good as it was in the first half.

CJ played 30 mins last night. Not sure how much of that was 2nd half but “didn’t play much in 2nd half” can’t be accurate.

I might have missed his number at times or something. I didn't notice him really until he hit the big three with a couple minutes to play. By not noticing him he clearly didn't make any big mistakes or anything. Defense on the perimeter wasn't as tight in the 2nd half, but still pretty good against a very good team.

Reactions: hawkeyeinmo
He’s a much better 4 than any of our other big men. Despite being the worst shooting big. That’s because he can defend his position competently, rebound, and make some good passes every now and again. Our other bigs would have to shoot outstanding to justify playing the 4. He just has to be himself.

Not sure I agree with the assertion that he is "a much better 4 than any of our other big men." And for the record, I am a Pemsl fan. But Kreiner, while not great last night, is pretty solid. He is taller and more athletic than CP and generally more effective on the offensive end. His shooting percentage is 2x that of Pemsl and he is a slightly better FT shooter. They are a wash on rebounds, as Pemsl has better technique but Kreiner is taller and longer. Pemsl is clearly the better passer and does turn the ball over less than Kreiner. Pemsl is more "crafty" but Kreiner has more bounce combined with a good shooting touch.

They will both see a lot of minutes going forward.

Pemsl is at his best as an entry passer via top of the key.

Kreiner can serve to be more aggressive at the bucket, drawing more fouls and chalking up a few more dunks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT