ADVERTISEMENT
Aug 5, 2010
In order to make (most/some) all Hawkeye fans feel satisfied, the team can:

• Beat the 8th ranked Gophers and jump several spots from 20th to 15-17th.
  • Watch other teams beat the tar out of each other as rivalry games heat up (& the SEC plays their 2nd FCS opponent to cap the year).
  • Via attrition, move into the top 12 by beating Illinois and Nebraska.
  • Make a New Years Six game and earn our tenth win against an SEC opponent (9th time in program history with double-digits).
  • Rank in the top 10 to finish the season at 10-3.

Now, let’s go execute and roll into 2020 with some momentum.

What say ye Hawk fans and trolls?

Troll here. IMO there’s no way on earth this team finishes in the top ten and I dare say it’s much more likely they split their remaining games (3 + bowl) and finish unranked.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
This board resembles my nephews social media account

8316918.gif

If Iowa ends up 10-3 then I think everyone will be happy enough. We’d be Top 15, won all our trophy games expect 1, wrecked Minnesota’s best start in a 100 years, and potentially have beaten a good SEC team in the Citrus Bowl or beaten a less good PAC 12 team in the Holliday Bowl.

We should be accepting of 10 win seasons around here.

If Iowa ends up 10-3 then I think everyone will be happy enough. We’d be Top 15, won all our trophy games expect 1, wrecked Minnesota’s best start in a 100 years, and potentially have beaten a good SEC team in the Citrus Bowl or beaten a less good PAC 12 team in the Holliday Bowl.

good gawd please no texas longhorns please. one of my worst memories was that Alamo bowl loss. good memories too but that loss stung.

Should be but our fan base will find something to whine about.

You can be accepting of 10 wins while still being critical. It's not a zero sum. It's not a choosing beggar thing, either. We can want, desire, and demand the best while still being grateful for less than.

good gawd please no texas longhorns please. one of my worst memories was that Alamo bowl loss. good memories too but that loss stung.

Yeah. Iowa got up 14-0 before pissing it away. Only good thing I remember from that game was Andy Brodell out running 2 Texas defensive backs - just pulling away, Tyreek Hill-like speed. One of the DBs was Aaron Ross who I believe was the Thorpe Award winner that year. Sean McDonough had a great call on this.

• Watch other teams beat the tar out of each other as rivalry games heat up (& the SEC plays their 2nd FCS opponent to cap the year).
  • Make a New Years Six game and earn our tenth win against an SEC opponent (9th time in program history with double-digits).

There's only one flaw with your plan. There's no chance we're getting a NY6 game at 9-3. Otherwise I think the rankings/record could happen. Wisconsin. PSU, and Michigan would have to have strong finishes with the exception of their losses to OSU.

If we somehow find our way to 10-3, half the fanbase will whine that it was only Ferentz Stupidity that prevented 15-0.
Agree and tbh i’ll be with the whiners whining about snatching good from the jaws of extraordinary. But i’ll remain supportive of the team and coaches while reserving the right to criticize them at my leisure. Ill also expect them to come through in 2020 with 11+ in the regular season :)

Iowa v Florida in the Outback Bowl debacle with MAC (?) referees and Chad Greenway (?) offsides on a kickoff. That loss still stings.

Absolutely correct.
Yes we want to win the WEST every year and should more than we have. But any 10 win season is good. Even 9 is good, depending on how we got there.

Won 9 last year, so everyone would LIKE to build on that.

Nine or ten wins would greatly exceed my expectations for this team before the season started and now. Beating Minny and a bowl opponent would make this a successful season in my book.

We never roll into seasons with momentum even though the Press may think differently. Potential loss of 3 starters on the OL will lead to problems. New QB who, in all probability, will not be mobile enough to extend plays. Yet, we may have some of the best skilled players we have had in years. Hope it works out, but I feel the line will not be solid from LT to RT again next year. TE position appears to need help. LaPorta looks very promising, Beyer has not shown as much as I thought he would.

Reactions: ctghawk
Phase one complete, though the Hawks ended up on the higher end of the CFP Rankings (17) than we would have hoped.

We need to move three spots this week and two spots the following week (or some combination of that) to get into the top 12 and virtually guarantee a NY6 game. This will require that a lot of teams move backwards as much as IOWA moves forwards.

Not impossible, but for me, it is fun to have a goal and something to seek. Hope it’s the same for our beloved players and staff.

Well, one of my best memories of Hawkeye football was Iowa's drubbing of Texas in the Cotton Bowl in the 80's. Chuck Long was on fire that day.

get into the top 12 and virtually guarantee a NY6 game.

Top 12 does not guarantee NY6 game.
Top 4 to CFP
Rose: Big Ten and Pac 12
Sugar: SEC and Big 12
Orange: ACC and next highest of B1G/SEC/ND
Cotton: highest group of 5 vs highest ranked remaining team

Orange’s ACC team and Group of 5 team will be lower than 12, so need at least Top 10 for NY6

Top 4 to CFP

Orange’s ACC team and Group of 5 team will be lower than 12, so need at least Top 10 for NY6

Yeah, you are right. I was thinking more historically when I said “virtually guaranteed”. Only 6 of the 60 participants have ever come from outside of the CFP Top 12, but this year will be one of those years. Damn, the ACC sucks.

Either way, with a quality bowl matchup, I still think the Hawkeyes could land a #10 ranking to end the season. I’m sticking to that as an aspirational goal.

Well, one of my best memories of Hawkeye football was Iowa's drubbing of Texas in the Cotton Bowl in the 80's. Chuck Long was on fire that day.

It was a great game for sure but it wasn't at the Cotton Bowl. It was in Anaheim, CA.

Top 4 to CFP

Really, there’s only one at-large spot in the NY6 this year: the Group of 5’s opponent in the Cotton Bowl. Hopefully it can be PSU, Wisconsin, or Minnesota. Most likely other teams to grab it are Utah/Oregon loser, if Pac12 doesn’t reach CFP, and Florida

Iowa v Florida in the Outback Bowl debacle with MAC (?) referees and Chad Greenway (?) offsides on a kickoff. That loss still stings.

Those were Conference USA officials and yes I'm still salty about it.
That game stands right there with Jim Bain/Purdue BB debacle as an example of the worst official screw-jobs in Iowa sports history.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT