ADVERTISEMENT

The Post tried eating at NYC’s finest restaurants dressed like Sen. John Fetterman — see how it went

RicoSuave102954

HR All-American
Jul 17, 2023
Montezuma, Iowa
Sen. John Fetterman may be allowed to dress like a slob in the halls of power — but it’s still a capital offense in New York City’s finest restaurants.

Intrepid Post reporter Jon Levine learned that hard truth this week when he crisscrossed the Big Apple’s culinary landmarks wearing Fetterman’s trademark hoodie, gym shorts and sneakers and tried to gain entry — only to face scorn and mockery from maître d’s with more common sense than Congress.

“He would not be permitted here,” sniffed a maître d at Daniel on the Upper East Side, where a seven-course tasting menu runs $275.

She admitted she didn’t know who Fetterman was.

“We have turned away guests for being improperly dressed regardless of their occupation,” she continued.

At famed Le Bernardin, a suited maître d named Julien served up an amuse bouche of stink-eye when The Post arrived.

New York Post reporter Jon Levine was unceremoniously shown the door at Jean-Georges.J.C. Rice
“No athletic wear,” he said flatly, staring The Post down and denying even a nibble of chef Eric Ripert’s $480 dinner and wine pre-fixe menu.

The three-Michelin-starred dining room is reservation only but walk-ins are normally afforded the more casual lounge — but not if you’re dressed like you just came from Pilates class.

An unnamed maître d at Daniel stopped The Post when reporter Jon Levine tried to enter. J.C. Rice
Le Bernardin’s wine director, Aldo Sohm, said jackets and pants were on loan to those with Fetterman’s fashion sense.

At the double-Michelin star Jean-Georges near Columbus Circle, no less than four sentinels outside its dining room vetoed The Post’s entry, ending the dream of feasting on the famed $368, 10-course tasting menu that includes caviar salad, king crab and smoked squab.

“Inside we don’t allow shorts,” said one, repeatedly insisting it would be “impossible” to get around the dress code, which also forbids jeans, sneakers and sweatshirts.

Sen. John Fetterman has made wearing ill-fitting clothes his Senate trademark. David McGlynn

“It doesn’t matter if it’s Lady Gaga,” chimed in another.

A third was so stunned by the sartorial sacrilege, she couldn’t even finish her sentence.

“I’ve never had anyone come in dressed like …”

An armada of disturbed front desk attendants blocked The Post from gaining entry to Jean-Georges. J.C. Rice
The Post was allowed to use the bathroom.

Workers at The Grill — an ultra-lux chophouse occupying the legendary Four Seasons Restaurant space in midtown — wasted no time rejecting the faux Fetterman, holding the door tightly shut after they caught one glimpse.

“If you went and got a pair of jeans it would work,” offered a doorman named Don who boasted, “We treat the billionaires just like millionaires.”

The Grill in midtown would not even let The Post into the lobby. A manager suggested we purchase some clothing at a store nearby.Aristide Economopoulos.

The Post was also rejected from The King Cole Bar at the St. Regis Hotel.Aristide Economopoulos
It wasn’t all bad news for Fetterman.

The Post strode into Nobu and Gramercy Tavern without so much as a peep.

Masa, whose famed sushi bar omakase experience runs over $1,000 a person, was happy to receive us.

It wasn’t all bad news for The Post, which was allowed into Eleven Madison Park by a mask-wearing attendant. J.C. Rice
The senator would “absolutely” be welcome at Eleven Madison Park in all his full slovenly glory, one masked employee said.

The three-star Michelin eatery, whose fully vegetarian nine-course tasting menu runs a cool $365, said there was no expectation of evening attire.

“You can wear whatever. You just have to wear clothes.”

he Post is triumphant as it waits to be seated at Eleven Madison Park where patrons can come as they please.J.C. Rice
Fetterman’s unfortunate sartorial shenanigans have left his congressional colleagues tearing at the seams.

Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.) ripped the Senate for recently relaxing rules to allow Fetterman’s wardrobe, which he insists he needs for his mental health after his stroke, say Senate Democratic insiders.

“The Senate no longer enforcing a dress code for senators to appease Fetterman is disgraceful,” Greene posted on X, formerly Twitter.

“Dress code is one of society’s standards that set etiquette and respect for our institutions. Stop lowering the bar!”

This brings us to the King Cole Bar at the swanky St. Regis Hotel — they rejected The Post too.

• Haha
Reactions: The Tradition
When you already know the outcome before you try something like this it’s just writing a hit piece to make idiots pop a boner. I don’t agree with how fetterman dresses and like I’ve said at minimum he should have the standards of slacks and a polo style shirt, but this ‘experiment’ is dumb and loaded.

Actually, I would expect no less of a response from a MEGA Republican piece of Texas shirt, like Cruz!

Teddy never fails to disappoint! Hawley can’t be far behind....and then Scott...

As my mother was fond of saying...”if “so and so” decided to jump out of the upstairs window, would you think it’s a good idea and do it too?”

Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.) ripped the Senate for recently relaxing rules to allow Fetterman’s wardrobe, which he insists he needs for his mental health after his stroke, say Senate Democratic insiders.

“The Senate no longer enforcing a dress code for senators to appease Fetterman is disgraceful,” Greene posted on X, formerly Twitter.

“Dress code is one of society’s standards that set etiquette and respect for our institutions. Stop lowering the bar!”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/07/19/marjorie-taylor-greene-hunter-biden-photos/
Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.) on Wednesday showed what appeared to be sexually explicit images of Hunter Biden, President Biden’s son, during a hearing of the House Oversight and Accountability Committee

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/07/19/marjorie-taylor-greene-hunter-biden-photos/
Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.) on Wednesday showed what appeared to be sexually explicit images of Hunter Biden, President Biden’s son, during a hearing of the House Oversight and Accountability Committee
Maybe the post should go into restaurants with blown up pictures of Hunter showing his dick, black bar included, to display at their table and see if they’re allowed to stay.

Tell us about dress codes at country clubs. I’m so intrigued, what a cool topic to discuss.
Man I’ve been to some where any collard shirt and slacks will do. Some of those dudes still get rather creative with what they wear. Like some old rich dudes really use the golf course to peacock crazy colors and patterns. Maybe they just want to make sure no one hits them with a ball.

First, MTG calling out the Senate for changing dress code is rich, considering dress code rules were changed for her.

Second, I like that the Post buried a number of restaurants allowing their faux Fetterman in.

Lastly, it should be up to any private entity what they are going to allow and not allow. And no, I don't have any problem with the Senate allowing whatever as long as it's clean and somewhat modest. The whole idea of "professional" dress is just arbitrary rules that people thought up at a different time in history.

Reactions: Torg and THE_DEVIL
I don’t love how Fetterman dresses….however I also would NEVER dine at a place like this. I don’t care how many billions I have amassed, I’m not dressing up and pay $300 for a “tasting course”.

But then again, I’m one of those people that hasn’t really changed my style much no matter how many zeros are in my bank account.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
I don’t love how Fetterman dresses….however I also would NEVER dine at a place like this. I don’t care how many billions I have amassed, I’m not dressing up and pay $300 for a “tasting course”.

But then again, I’m one of those people that hasn’t really changed my style much no matter how many zeros are in my bank account.
All of the 0’s

What kind of food are we talking about?

Sen. John Fetterman may be allowed to dress like a slob in the halls of power — but it’s still a capital offense in New York City’s finest restaurants.

Intrepid Post reporter Jon Levine learned that hard truth this week when he crisscrossed the Big Apple’s culinary landmarks wearing Fetterman’s trademark hoodie, gym shorts and sneakers and tried to gain entry — only to face scorn and mockery from maître d’s with more common sense than Congress.

“He would not be permitted here,” sniffed a maître d at Daniel on the Upper East Side, where a seven-course tasting menu runs $275.

“We have turned away guests for being improperly dressed regardless of their occupation,” she continued.

At famed Le Bernardin, a suited maître d named Julien served up an amuse bouche of stink-eye when The Post arrived.

New York Post reporter Jon Levine was unceremoniously shown the door at Jean-Georges.J.C. Rice
“No athletic wear,” he said flatly, staring The Post down and denying even a nibble of chef Eric Ripert’s $480 dinner and wine pre-fixe menu.

The three-Michelin-starred dining room is reservation only but walk-ins are normally afforded the more casual lounge — but not if you’re dressed like you just came from Pilates class.

An unnamed maître d at Daniel stopped The Post when reporter Jon Levine tried to enter. J.C. Rice
Le Bernardin’s wine director, Aldo Sohm, said jackets and pants were on loan to those with Fetterman’s fashion sense.

At the double-Michelin star Jean-Georges near Columbus Circle, no less than four sentinels outside its dining room vetoed The Post’s entry, ending the dream of feasting on the famed $368, 10-course tasting menu that includes caviar salad, king crab and smoked squab.

“Inside we don’t allow shorts,” said one, repeatedly insisting it would be “impossible” to get around the dress code, which also forbids jeans, sneakers and sweatshirts.

Sen. John Fetterman has made wearing ill-fitting clothes his Senate trademark. David McGlynn

A third was so stunned by the sartorial sacrilege, she couldn’t even finish her sentence.

An armada of disturbed front desk attendants blocked The Post from gaining entry to Jean-Georges. J.C. Rice

Workers at The Grill — an ultra-lux chophouse occupying the legendary Four Seasons Restaurant space in midtown — wasted no time rejecting the faux Fetterman, holding the door tightly shut after they caught one glimpse.

“If you went and got a pair of jeans it would work,” offered a doorman named Don who boasted, “We treat the billionaires just like millionaires.”

The Grill in midtown would not even let The Post into the lobby. A manager suggested we purchase some clothing at a store nearby.Aristide Economopoulos.

The Post was also rejected from The King Cole Bar at the St. Regis Hotel.Aristide Economopoulos

Masa, whose famed sushi bar omakase experience runs over $1,000 a person, was happy to receive us.

It wasn’t all bad news for The Post, which was allowed into Eleven Madison Park by a mask-wearing attendant. J.C. Rice
The senator would “absolutely” be welcome at Eleven Madison Park in all his full slovenly glory, one masked employee said.

The three-star Michelin eatery, whose fully vegetarian nine-course tasting menu runs a cool $365, said there was no expectation of evening attire.

he Post is triumphant as it waits to be seated at Eleven Madison Park where patrons can come as they please.J.C. Rice
Fetterman’s unfortunate sartorial shenanigans have left his congressional colleagues tearing at the seams.

This brings us to the King Cole Bar at the swanky St. Regis Hotel — they rejected The Post too.

this article is so dumb that I'm putting OP on ignore.

What a stupid article. Fetterman - not breaking the Senate rules; restaurants enforcing their rules.

Did David Brooks dream this article up?

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
I’d be more a fan if they made it an informal, ceremonial proceedural vote each time a member entered the chamber without proper dress. Basically, quickly vote a one-off exception to move on each time. No need to update the entire dress code.

Put me in the camp if your Congressman can’t put in the effort to tuck in a shirt and throw on a jacket then how much effort will they put in elsewhere?

Actually, I would expect no less of a response from a MEGA Republican piece of Texas shirt, like Cruz!

Teddy never fails to disappoint! Hawley can’t be far behind....and then Scott...

As my mother was fond of saying...”if “so and so” decided to jump out of the upstairs window, would you think it’s a good idea and do it too?”
There’s a difference between working out in gym clothes or playing a pick up bball game and that being your everyday attire. If you can’t see that then you have your blinders on.

Reactions: RicoSuave102954
I like wearing ties. Sets me apart from the common people.
I hope you’re wearing a clip on in case you get a hostile worker that decides to fight you. You don’t want to give them that extra leverage. Not all ocular pat downs are 100% accurate and so don’t give the enemy an advantage.

Probably like vaporized chicken breast so you breathe it in instead of actually eating it, a dollop of reconstructed spinach and boiled lamb, raw jelly beans, recobbed corn

Nah, but really good fried chicken wings…..sign me up

Republicans, really doing a lot to dismantle the “myth” that they’re out of touch with issues people actually care about, I see. Nothing says “party of the people” like slandering people who can’t get into effete restaurants for millionaires because they wear a hoodie.

Nah, but really good fried chicken wings…..sign me up
Check the rules out at this restaurant in St. Louis that has pop-a-shot and serves bar food.

social-bar-and-grill-rules-v0-g6vivfepc9ob1.jpg

87388367_yylI9eviebTmGgRFIyfr1spQx8htQweSR9rZeV1kQG4.jpg

Check the rules out at this restaurant in St. Louis that has pop-a-shot and serves bar food.

social-bar-and-grill-rules-v0-g6vivfepc9ob1.jpg

87388367_yylI9eviebTmGgRFIyfr1spQx8htQweSR9rZeV1kQG4.jpg

This is in Soulard portion of the Lou - relatively close to the AB brewery.

You should have seen this place in its glory years - body painted, very attractive waitresses.

They went in a cleaned this place up and spent some real money doing it recently.

This is in Soulard portion of the Lou - relatively close to the AB brewery.

You should have seen this place in its glory years - body painted, very attractive waitresses.

They went in a cleaned this place up and spent some real money doing it recently.
Is the food good? They kind of claim some fine dining but they also have chili cheese fries on the menu and have like an arcade area so it confuses me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT