ADVERTISEMENT

The silver lining in this year . . .

HoundedHawk

HR Legend
Oct 2, 2001
. . . 1) is that we didn't have to wrestle Penn State, Ohio State, and Michigan. Our B1G Dual shared championship is an abomination. We certainly would have lost two, if not three more.

. . . 2) that Kemerer is out. I'm glad his talents/eligibility weren't wasted. Because if nationals played out this year one million times I'm confident we still would not get a single one.

Silver lining is that Desanto looked like the better and more aggressive guy. He can win that match. So can Warner if it is strategized enough. Lugo looked good and is finally getting to low shots and underneath guys.

I don’t know what is wrong with Spencer. Gift wrapped that for OSU on the edge.

We just plain got beat by the better and more hungry team.

Lot of silver linings. Our super sophs are looking tough (tho not today). We have Lee, ADS, Young, Bull & KemDawg back for two more years. Warner and Murin are two inconsistent freshmen, They'll get better. Cass, Kennedy, Assad, and the other stud coming soon.

Hats off to Okie St. They kicked our asses all over the mat.

Silver lining is that Desanto looked like the better and more aggressive guy. He can win that match. So can Warner if it is strategized enough. Lugo looked good and is finally getting to low shots and underneath guys.

Ask Spoon. He knows.

Reactions: maize_mechanic

Gotta hand it to the Flo guys. They talked about how Lee puts himself in the cradle position but just hasn’t gotten burned. They’ll be crowing about that this week.

Gotta hand it to the Flo guys. They talked about how Lee puts himself in the cradle position but just hasn’t gotten burned. They’ll be crowing about that this week.

Flo guys are trash, lee does that split leg sprawl. He needs to get away from that more

Reactions: Wink8

Spencer was totally gassed.... he spent so much energy trying to pull the kid back on the mat to finish that first period takedown he was spent...I think our worst fears are accurate.... Spencers no where near 100 percent and its sad to watch him struggle.... in retrospect probably would have been better to redshirt... but who knew

Reactions: IRONBIRD
Next year:

125 - A Healthy Lee
133 - Desanto
141 - Renteria
149 - Lugo
157 - Young
165 - Bull
174 - Kem
184 - Cash
197 - Warner
HWT - Cass

^ Damn ^

I like it. Lineup does seem pretty clear cut. Here’s the main questions in my mind.

1. Will it possibly be Desanto at 41?
2. Could Nelson Brands beat out Young at 57? We know Nelson will be far more aggressive and has higher upside.
3. Could Abe Assad step in and immediately take Cash spot? Unlikely IMO but if Assad is even only marginally better I think Brands pulls the shirt and goes for it all.

Some additional questions in my mind.

1. Will Kem be the same tier of wrestler coming off injury and also moving up two classes?
2. What’s the potential for Cass as a freshmen HWT? I thinks it’s safe to assume he’s not a title contender this early but can he make the stand?

Pretty exciting stuff.

I like it. Lineup does seem pretty clear cut. Here’s the main questions in my mind.

1. Will it possibly be Desanto at 41?
2. Could Nelson Brands beat out Young at 57? We know Nelson will be far more aggressive and has higher upside.
3. Could Abe Assad step in and immediately take Cash spot? Unlikely IMO but if Assad is even only marginally better I think Brands pulls the shirt and goes for it all.

Some additional questions in my mind.

1. Will Kem be the same tier of wrestler coming off injury and also moving up two classes?
2. What’s the potential for Cass as a freshmen HWT? I thinks it’s safe to assume he’s not a title contender this early but can he make the stand?

Pretty exciting stuff.

1. I think Desanto will be back at 133 and contend for a title again next year. Given his improvement this year, I'm excited to see what next year brings after a full summer in Iowa.
2. Not sure Nelson has higher upside as I think Kaleb is more skilled, but Nelson is certainly more aggressive. If he makes the weight, that will be a war and we'll be in pretty good shape either way. Sounds like he might struggle to get there though.
3. Absolutely not. Wilcke just beat Venz who will probably be ranked #2 after this week. I've watched Abe wrestle quite a bit, and he definitely needs a redshirt. He's very physical and has a great tank, but the technical skills, especially on the mat, aren't quite there and the jump to college will negate a lot of his physicality. He reminds me a little of Brooks coming in. He'll get a lot out of his redshirt year. Only way he goes is if Wilcke goes down, but even then I think we'd see Myles Wilson.

1. I think so. I think Valencia moves up to 184 to make room for Anthony at 174/prepare for 86kg, which means Kemerer will duke it out to make the finals opposite Hall just like he did at 157 with Nolf.

2. He can definitely place, but I don't think he'll compete with Gable. He's a guy who I think will make big jumps every year though.

Brought my 7yo to stillwater for the meet today. He wrestles, and after 125, we spent most of the meet talking about what we learned through each match. One Silver Lining was it was a great coachable meet for a kid from top to bottom:

125: Anybody can get beat, never assume you can’t win. Never assume your win is automatic.
133: Attack, attack, attack — Even if the other kid is ranked higher than you.
141: Whoever keeps their head higher in a scramble usually gets the TD.
149: It’s not how you start the season, it’s how you finish it.
157: Use your coaches to help you keep track of the match situation. Example: Don’t cut a guy at 59s of Riding Time. I also had to explain Riding Time.
165: Every young wrestler should have an NCAA hero they want to wrestle like. I couldn’t be happier if yours is Alex Marinelli.
174: “Big moves” are high-risk, high-reward. Be aware of the risk.
184: Don’t wait until the 3rd to open up your offense.
197: Don’t rely on the ref to win the match.
285: Always support your team through until the end. Even if the score is mathematically out of reach, cheer them on until it’s over.

The other Silver Lining was to watch my son really become an Iowa fan over the course of an otherwise ugly event. In an arena of 13,000 hostile fans he cheered his little heart out for every one of the Hawks. He did the math and held-out hope Warner and Stoll could still pin their opponents and the Hawks would pull it out. Even once that ship sailed, he was on his feet yelling “shoot” at Stoll in the closing seconds of the match. We may have losses the meet, but we gained one more true fan today.

he other Silver Lining was to watch my son really become an Iowa fan over the course of an otherwise ugly event. In an arena of 13,000 hostile fans he cheered his little heart out for every one of the Hawks. He did the math and held-out hope Warner and Stoll could still pin their opponents and the Hawks would pull it out. Even once that ship sailed, he was on his feet yelling “shoot” at Stoll in the closing seconds of the match. We may have losses the meet, but we gained one more true fan today.

Way to represent little man

Tom alluded to this in the post match press conference. Basically said Lee has been taking short-cuts and it was only a matter of time. OSU scouted it. Lee walked right into it.

Reactions: BanjoSaysWoof
Better now than in 3 weeks.

Doesn't matter. It's pretty clear that he's got 3 or 4 minutes of wrestling in him, at most. And he's only operating at about 70% for those few minutes. He's so damn good that this still makes him a top-10 guy; but I shudder to think what it's going to be like trying to wrestle tournaments back-to-back. He's going to be crawling off the mat, and it's just a damn shame for him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT