ADVERTISEMENT

Minnesota Confident they'll beat Hawks this year

TCity Hawk

HR MVP
Gold Member
Sep 15, 2002

Five Reasons The Minnesota Gophers Will Win The Big 10 West​

By: Vince Wright | August 15, 2023
Hello Gopher fans, my name is Vince Wright and I am honored to be joining the GopherHole family as a new contributor. I have watched the Gophers since they were in Memorial Stadium and had Marion Barber Sr. running with the rock. I grew up a Gopher fan, raised in South Minneapolis and after high school (Mpls Washburn) I attended the “U” from 89-94. I currently host The Sports Done Wright Podcast, and I’m known as “The Sports Governor of Minnesota” or “The Big Smooth.”
Five Reasons the Minnesota Gophers Will Win the Big 10 West
1) The Gophers are playing Nebraska in the first game.

Matt Rhule will have Nebraska playing better later in the season in my opinion. Getting the Cornhuskers right off the bat should help Minnesota who has the better team on paper. New coach, players and schemes will take a while to take hold for Rhule, Minnesota’s depth at wide receiver, tight end and a big strong QB will be the key and the Defense, led by Tyler Nubin and Jah Joyner will set the tone. It might be a little closer than we think however.

2) Getting the win in Chapel Hill

Another big test in the non-conference is a trip to Chapel Hill, NC to face the Tar Heels of North Carolina. Carolina QB Drake Maye is being discussed as a possible Heisman candidate. Maye threw for 4,321 yards last year with 38 TD’s and 7 interceptions and coach Mack Brown has a new offensive coordinator working with his star QB. Minnesota matches up well otherwise and while this game has some fans fearful, Minnesota goes on the road and makes the statement with a big win on Tobacco Road. And I predict they put the clamps on Drake Maye and gets fans talking about a new day of Gopher defense.

3) Minnesota will finally beat Iowa
Yes I know, Fleck is 0-6 against that team down South, but I truly believe this is the year Minnesota breaks through the Iowa wall. The Gophers have been so close, and honestly they have lost to very mediocre Iowa teams. But this year it’s a mission, P.J. rallies the troops and Minnesota finally gets Floyd back home. And beating them in Iowa City will be so sweet.
4) Minnesota will pull the upset and beat either Michigan or Ohio State
I know, this one is hard to get behind, but this Gophers team will be dialed in this season with a last chance to win the West. Michigan will be the game we shock the world. Playing for the Little Brown Jug after so many years, the game is at home, and honestly, I think Minnesota has a slightly better shot against the Wolverines than the Buckeyes. IF, a big IF, the Gophers can get one of these games there is no stopping Minnesota. I also believe Minnesota will beat Michigan State.
5) Dominate Defense
This is the year of the Gopher Defense, after years of simmering, this defense is ready to blow up. Jah Joyner and Tyler Nubin will be the anchors. Other big names that should contribute to an improved pass rush are Jalen Logan-Redding, Kyler Baugh and Anthony Smith, strong DB’s like Justin Walley and nickelback Jack Henderson. I’m really excited for the Gopher defense this year. Bigger, faster and stronger!! The key is getting a consistent pass rush, one area where Minnesota has suffered in past seasons.
So get ready, buckle up and enjoy the ride Gopher fans, and for fun Minnesota will beat Wisconsin for the third year in a row too!
Follow me on Twitter @thebigsmooth1
Instagram – Sportsdonewright

sinking-boat-team-paddling-not-giving-up-hang0figfq5sikmg.gif

To be perfectly honest, we have to drop one to Minnesota eventually.

We had a great streak going against Nebraska, ISU, and Minnesota. Nebby and ISU were inferior teams last year, but they still got us. Minnesota could easily be the "drop one we shouldnt" game this year. Plus, I expect Minnesota to be in the mix for another 9 win season this year.

That being said, Minnesota should STFU until they actually, ya know, beat us one of these years.

• Haha
Reactions: PoleSmokinHerkyFan
They very well could beat the Hawks.......or not.
I know a lot of Hawk fans had Nebraska chalked up as a win last season. Anything can happen!
after that perfect petras to lachey strike to pull out a win on the road against mn, i think literally everyone got cocky about the last game against the last place team for a spot in the ccg that too at home against a lameduck coach...it's an unforgivable loss.

Minnesota hasn't won at Kinnick yet this millenium. KF's first year was the last time they actually won at Kinnick. I actually think Iowa rolls the rodents this year by multiple scores. It wouldn't surprise me if after KF retires, whenever that is, that 1999 loss ends up being the only blemish to Minnesota at home on his resume.

The Gophers have been so close, and honestly they have lost to very mediocre Iowa teams. But this year it’s a mission, P.J. rallies the troops and Minnesota finally gets Floyd back home.
Hard to argue with this compelling argument. By implication, they have not been “on a mission” in any of their previous six consecutive losses to Iowa.

In fact, word around MPLS is that up until now, Fleck had no desire to “rally the troops” in any game vs. Iowa.

Therefore, this year will be different.

Thanks for sharing. I needed a good laugh!

As others said, they very well could finally beat the hawks this year.... But the writer's "reason" that MN will win is because they REALLY want to win and they are on a "mission".... LOL.

I guess PJ should have wanted to win more the last 6 years.

They very well could beat the Hawks.......or not.
I know a lot of Hawk fans had Nebraska chalked up as a win last season. Anything can happen!
For sure, its just the overall tom foolery of his opinion. I think we're going to beat all these teams, (including three teams they haven't beaten since Christ was a corporal). M or OSU, and Iowa. Lol...Not......

Yes I know, Fleck is 0-6 against that team down South, but I truly believe this is the year Minnesota breaks through the Iowa wall.

It's not just a belief, it's a true belief. Maybe that was the problem the past 6 years for the Gophs.

after that perfect petras to lachey strike to pull out a win on the road against mn, i think literally everyone got cocky about the last game against the last place team for a spot in the ccg that too at home against a lameduck coach...it's an unforgivable loss.
Their staff was a mess, no head coach and no D coordinator. Bad loss for KF for sure. As for MN and Fleck, this is not the year for them to get a W in Iowa city. That ain't happening.

Referring Iowa to “that team down south” is funny. Seems like f0$u referencing Meatchicken as TSUN. The Gofs will be able to row their bus back up north without Floyd AGAIN!

To be perfectly honest, we have to drop one to Minnesota eventually.

We had a great streak going against Nebraska, ISU, and Minnesota. Nebby and ISU were inferior teams last year, but they still got us. Minnesota could easily be the "drop one we shouldnt" game this year. Plus, I expect Minnesota to be in the mix for another 9 win season this year.

That being said, Minnesota should STFU until they actually, ya know, beat us one of these years.
That being said, Iowa should STFU until they actually, ya know, beat us one of these years. Bbbbwwwwaaaaaa

"and honestly they have lost to very mediocre Iowa teams." Iowa is 52-23 in the last six years. That's 69.3% success. What does that make 44-27, which is what Minnesota is is that time? Sub mediocre? In six years, the Fleckster has beaten six big ten teams who ended up with winning records. 7-6 or better.

An unforgiveable loss is pretty strong. The injury to Dejean was very costly as Nebby struck quick twice against his replacement at corner. Those two quick scores were very unusual for the hawk Dee and with our lame offense and Petras injury which led to a third score it was just too much.

The hawks had a chance but couldnt overcome those injuries etc

• Haha

Five Reasons The Minnesota Gophers Will Win The Big 10 West​

By: Vince Wright | August 15, 2023
Hello Gopher fans, my name is Vince Wright and I am honored to be joining the GopherHole family as a new contributor. I have watched the Gophers since they were in Memorial Stadium and had Marion Barber Sr. running with the rock. I grew up a Gopher fan, raised in South Minneapolis and after high school (Mpls Washburn) I attended the “U” from 89-94. I currently host The Sports Done Wright Podcast, and I’m known as “The Sports Governor of Minnesota” or “The Big Smooth.”
Five Reasons the Minnesota Gophers Will Win the Big 10 West
1) The Gophers are playing Nebraska in the first game.

Matt Rhule will have Nebraska playing better later in the season in my opinion. Getting the Cornhuskers right off the bat should help Minnesota who has the better team on paper. New coach, players and schemes will take a while to take hold for Rhule, Minnesota’s depth at wide receiver, tight end and a big strong QB will be the key and the Defense, led by Tyler Nubin and Jah Joyner will set the tone. It might be a little closer than we think however.

2) Getting the win in Chapel Hill

Another big test in the non-conference is a trip to Chapel Hill, NC to face the Tar Heels of North Carolina. Carolina QB Drake Maye is being discussed as a possible Heisman candidate. Maye threw for 4,321 yards last year with 38 TD’s and 7 interceptions and coach Mack Brown has a new offensive coordinator working with his star QB. Minnesota matches up well otherwise and while this game has some fans fearful, Minnesota goes on the road and makes the statement with a big win on Tobacco Road. And I predict they put the clamps on Drake Maye and gets fans talking about a new day of Gopher defense.

3) Minnesota will finally beat Iowa
Yes I know, Fleck is 0-6 against that team down South, but I truly believe this is the year Minnesota breaks through the Iowa wall. The Gophers have been so close, and honestly they have lost to very mediocre Iowa teams. But this year it’s a mission, P.J. rallies the troops and Minnesota finally gets Floyd back home. And beating them in Iowa City will be so sweet.
4) Minnesota will pull the upset and beat either Michigan or Ohio State
I know, this one is hard to get behind, but this Gophers team will be dialed in this season with a last chance to win the West. Michigan will be the game we shock the world. Playing for the Little Brown Jug after so many years, the game is at home, and honestly, I think Minnesota has a slightly better shot against the Wolverines than the Buckeyes. IF, a big IF, the Gophers can get one of these games there is no stopping Minnesota. I also believe Minnesota will beat Michigan State.
5) Dominate Defense
This is the year of the Gopher Defense, after years of simmering, this defense is ready to blow up. Jah Joyner and Tyler Nubin will be the anchors. Other big names that should contribute to an improved pass rush are Jalen Logan-Redding, Kyler Baugh and Anthony Smith, strong DB’s like Justin Walley and nickelback Jack Henderson. I’m really excited for the Gopher defense this year. Bigger, faster and stronger!! The key is getting a consistent pass rush, one area where Minnesota has suffered in past seasons.
So get ready, buckle up and enjoy the ride Gopher fans, and for fun Minnesota will beat Wisconsin for the third year in a row too!
Follow me on Twitter @thebigsmooth1
Instagram – Sportsdonewright
This dumb**** said dominate instead of dominant. Idiot

Hard to argue with this compelling argument. By implication, they have not been “on a mission” in any of their previous six consecutive losses to Iowa.

In fact, word around MPLS is that up until now, Fleck had no desire to “rally the troops” in any game vs. Iowa.

Therefore, this year will be different.
No way Fleck doesn’t want to beat Iowa! Let’s just hope it doesn’t happen anytime soon! You should see the way he behaves on the sideline when he’s beaten Wisconsin. His wife comes on the sideline to kiss him

Reactions: Bishop1971
Did you see at the end of the Nebraska game & Minny players were standing in line singing song & Fleck’s wife Heather was with Fleck & players singing

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT