ADVERTISEMENT

The sky is falling

Can someone who was there speak on this: did the passing game struggle more due to poor throws/reads by the QBs or because the D had a read on what they were doing?

Execution based mistakes can be fixed. If it’s scheme-related that’s a bit more concerning.
If you were a locked in starter on defense in such a practice would you not take greater risk? I mean what the heck do you have to lose and you have seen the stuff to some degree in prior get togethers. Really think Phil would bench a locked in starter for making a break on something they may normally be taught to sit back on?

I was not there, but I heard some of Cade's throws were way off and reminded them of how Hill could not hit a wide open target. I mean one could understand being rusty and not threading a needle, but to be off by 5ft is really really rusty. As KF always says, you have to be able to make the makeable plays.
Were they open?

If you were a locked in starter on defense in such a practice would you not take greater risk? I mean what the heck do you have to lose and you have seen the stuff to some degree in prior get togethers. Really think Phil would bench a locked in starter for making a break on something they may normally be taught to sit back on?
Depends - it’s not really that Phil coaches the D to not take risks, rather that they are taught to play their position and then pounce when opponents make a mistake. On occasion he’s had guys that freelanced - Nixon being a prime example of that, but overall players have bought into that system. The results clearly speak for themselves.

Rarely do you see someone start for Phil that doesn’t play within that system.

once again, the D is carrying the team. apparently. what's new? we got time.... wait till the first ball is snapped....

Were they open?
Well the word sailed has been used. That means over the head and is more likely to be picked off then a ball that was placed 2-3 ft in front of or behind. A little to soon or to late is a timing thing and much easier to correct with reps then a sailing issue. There is speculation that Cade is having issues trusting his leg and that is affecting his throws and causing them to sail. ( I do not have any personal knowledge about any of that, but it has been speculated)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT