ADVERTISEMENT

The Swarm - odd CF thread (no surprise after a no-fun loss for those guys)

uniFIGHTuniFIGHT

HB Legend
Jan 22, 2006
I love The Swarm and I think most Hawkeye fans would agree. Most Clone finds don't seem to mind The Swarm. A few think it's pretentious. Do you prefer "pretentious" to smoke machines during introductions? I sure do. I can understand not enjoying it when it's going down for the reclamation of the rivalry trophy, but "pretentious?" We've been doing the swarm for decades. I didn't mind seeing it at the end of the game for a change.

It's a unique Iowa thing, which makes it cool. Sorta like the pink locker rooms. I get why other people would find it silly, though.

They were mad we went over as a team to reclaim the trophy? Sounds like butthurt.

Otherwise the swarm has been around since Hayden's heyday. All teams have their own way of taking the field and I guarantee you numerous teams have emulated some form of the Swarm.

They call it pretentious and mock it because they're Cyclone fans and they lost.

Who gives a rat's azz what a cyclown fan says?
you mean the school that copied the Cowboys leaving the locker room door deal, the Hawkeyes filming of the team leaving the locker room, the smoke of Miami, the first down chant of like a few too many, USC's colors and uniforms to a T, and last year started their own Kid's captain's for games is upset because we came over in the swarm?
The school that does golden rules on t shirts and one of them is know the words to the fight song because none of them did,
The school that had 61,000 at the UNI game and an average ticket price of $33 was mad?
Why I am hurt by their accusations--good news is at least I thought I saw where they moved the tunnell so they would not run into the goal posts....

Wow -- Clone fans are really reaching if they're complaining about how the Hawks crossed the field to get the trophy. If anything, I'd say it was far more dignified than any other way. Evidently, some ISU fans prefer the mad dash to the other team's sideline that inevitably involves some pushing of opposing players out of the way. The slow-walked swarm looked to me like a show of team unity and probably a tip of the cap to Tyler Sash. It wasn't a coincidence that lots of Iowa players were pointing to the #9 on their helmets as they picked up the trophy.

I can understand that ISU fans are disappointed. At halftime, they figured they had the game won -- and I'm sure plenty of us figured they were probably right -- and then it all fell apart for them. But to gripe about how the Hawks walked over to pick up the trophy is making an issue where there isn't one. . . and very poor form.

The swarm was better in the Hayden days. Watch the 1990 team, 1991 Rose Bowl.

At 1:37 mark is how it supposed to be done. Reminds me of the movie 300.

Agree completely, northern. I've said this a number of times. Not that the swarm is that big of a deal, but the original swarm was much more tightly packed and came onto the field in a much slower trot. These days, it's a much looser group and they pretty much run onto the field. I've always thought it would be cool if the players checked out the original swarm and some of the team leaders got it back to its original style. I think it's way cooler than what they do these days, although it's still the coolest entrance of any team in the nation, IMO.

The swarm was better in the Hayden days. Watch the 1990 team, 1991 Rose Bowl.

At 1:37 mark is how it supposed to be done. Reminds me of the movie 300.

It has been slower this year. Not as slow as the Rose Bowl highlight there but still slower and more compact than last year or the last several.

I liked that they slowly swarmed off the field with about four guys behind them holding the CyHawk on Saturday. I'm guessing this swarm to the trophy was a one time thing but it would be an awesome tradition if they started doing that for every trophy game win.

I love The Swarm and I think most Hawkeye fans would agree. Most Clone finds don't seem to mind The Swarm. A few think it's pretentious. Do you prefer "pretentious" to smoke machines during introductions? I sure do. I can understand not enjoying it when it's going down for the reclamation of the rivalry trophy, but "pretentious?" We've been doing the swarm for decades. I didn't mind seeing it at the end of the game for a change.
Was very impressed with the swarm going for Cy-Hawk trophy. Loved the team unity it showed

It has been slower this year. Not as slow as the Rose Bowl highlight there but still slower and more compact than last year or the last several.

I liked that they slowly swarmed off the field with about four guys behind them holding the CyHawk on Saturday. I'm guessing this swarm to the trophy was a one time thing but it would be an awesome tradition if they started doing that for every trophy game win.
This.

Right at the end of the broadcast, you could see the Hawks going off the field in a much tighter and slower Swarm. Had me excited because I hadn't seen us do that since 2008...which wasn't too bad of a year for us, especially towards the end. ;)

Btw, I agree about the walk across to get the trophy. Proved why Kirk Ferentz is the classiest coach in college football. Tell me another time you've ever seen a team do that to get a rivalry trophy.

I believe we had a starting D lineman on crutches and they were allowing him to lead them out at the Rose Bowl. Jim Johnson if I have it correct.

Jim Johnson was on crutches and while he was seen at front as they exited the tunnel, the swarm proceeded onto the field without him leading. That video of the swarm is the way they always used to do it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT