ADVERTISEMENT

The Third Time Getting Cute was the Worst

May 27, 2009
We were 0-2 on cuteness around the goal line in the first half, and I think it's borderline inexcusable how we approached our second time on the goal line in first half, but it is what it is. Iowa State wasn't thrilled to head into half down 13-0, but they had to feel pretty good it was only 13-0 considering how they played and getting the ball to start the second half.

Momentum was maybe slightly skewed Iowa to start the third quarter, but when they go three and out and then shank a punt, Iowa has full momentum back in it's favor.... 1st and 10, on the ISU 42 yard line, early 3rd quarter, up 13-0.

Kaleb Johnson had been running wild. We were already 0-2 on cuteness, and you need to hold momentum now. You run the ball. At worst you punt and maybe pin them deep. Higher chance you can run some clock and get 3 there. You run down and score a TD and the game is definitely over. Even if it's 16-0, the game is probably over.

The third attempt at cuteness was inexcusable. The 1st and 10 on ISU 42 roll out and throw back across body to a TE who isn't even all that quick is simply inexcusable.

IT'S ABSOLUTELY INEXCUSABLE.

Last edited:
We were 0-2 on cuteness around the goal line in the first half, and I think it's borderline inexcusable how we approached our second time on the goal line in first half, but it is what it is. Iowa State wasn't thrilled to head into half down 13-0, but they had to feel pretty good it was only 13-0 considering how they played and getting the ball to start the second half.

Momentum was maybe slightly skewed Iowa to start the third quarter, but when they go three and out and then shank a punt, Iowa has full momentum back in it's favor.... 1st and 10, on the ISU 42 yard line, early 3rd quarter, up 13-0.

Kaleb Johnson had been running wild. We were already 0-2 on cuteness, and you need to hold momentum now. You run the ball. At worst you punt and maybe pin them deep. Higher chance you can run some clock and get 3 there. You run down and score a TD and the game is definitely over. Even if it's 16-0, the game is probably over.

The third attempt at cuteness was inexcusable. The 1st and 10 on ISU 42 roll out and throw back across body to a TE who isn't even all that quick is simply inexcusable.

Did you know Iowa won 10 games last season?

Never question Kirk. Ever.

Didn’t everybody want Brian fired for not being creative or cute enough?

Iowa football should be able to get 3 yards starting from 1st down by running the damn ball and moving people. nut punches, whatever it takes.

• Love
Reactions: eyesofhawk
Didn’t everybody want Brian fired for not being creative or cute enough?
You may be sarcastic here but when your running game is doing really well with Kaleb and your QB really cooled down in the 2nd qtr then it is time not to be cute. Even at that a really good pass to Lachey on that play is either a catch by him or out of his reach as he was open by a yard. But the pass was bad. Not sure if anyone else was open in the direction Cade rolled out

I agree with you a lot especially when even gaining 9 yards in 3 plays leaves Iowa 4 and 1 at the 33 yard line. Drew Stevens has hit those long field goals in the past.

But the other thing is IIRC Lachey was open toward downfield but Cade threw way behind him. But Cade was getting worse passing the ball thru the 2nd qtr. If he is going to be the starter his accuracy needs to really improve which is odd because in 2021 he was known to be very accurate at Mich.

Those two goal line deals looked totally like stuff Brian tried. Maybe he was patched in.
First off, first and goal at the 1 1/2 yard line should be a QB sneak as you might score then but you should get have the distance. Then you have more options. I think Lester needs to tell Kirk when it is QB sneak time we need to put Sullivan or Marco in.

Reactions: kwik44

I agree! That was the turning point in the game. We had all the momentum. Had just stopped them to start the 3 quarter and we gave them the momentum back with that pick and never got it back.

I agree with you a lot especially when even gaining 9 yards in 3 plays leaves Iowa 4 and 1 at the 33 yard line. Drew Stevens has hit those long field goals in the past.

But the other thing is IIRC Lachey was open toward downfield but Cade threw way behind him. But Cade was getting worse passing the ball thru the 2nd qtr. If he is going to be the starter his accuracy needs to really improve which is odd because in 2021 he was known to be very accurate at Mich.
I think its much more about a lack of arm strength than it is a pure accuracy deficiency.

Its either a lack of arm strength or he's unconsciously scared to really plant and drive into the throws, due to his past injuries - or because of lingering effects/pain from the injuries, he can't plant the way he needs to.

The underthrow when he could have hit Brown for the game-sealing TD and the 15+ yard short attempt on the hail mary were glaring mistakes due to the above.

Reactions: uihawk82
THAT ENDING WAS ...

raw

This is the play that bothers me most. So not accustomed to that level of stupid. Part of me thinks they were wanting to show off their “new” offense and run up the score. Equally bad was Cade trying to squeeze it in. That’s where last week’s fools gold TD to RVZ was a bad thing. Instead of it being a learning opportunity, it emboldened Cade to throw another prayer.

Last edited:

I don’t know if that was cuteness, just a poor decision by Cade.

Reactions: HawkBall23
Especially when it seemed he did a little "hop skip jump" off his back foot before he threw the damn thing, when his arm strength is already in question.

Lachey was never close to open

• Haha
Reactions: AEG82
I'd call it cuteness.

When it's your first play out of halftime, you know special attention was put on it at halftime. Plus, consider the fact that it was a misdirection play, designed for one receiver, with the intent of making a statement.

One thing for sure is the intended statement wasn't to pound the ball down their throat. Nor was the run committed to at any point in the first half

• Haha
Reactions: AEG82
1st and 3 yards. You run every ****ing play right up the gut and you scream at your OLmen to bust their ass and move people.

You put Hayden Large right behind Cade to drill him in the back right into the pile.
Basically, I agree, except that you put Hayden Large under center, and HE runs the QB sneak as many times as necessary to get it into the end zone. Cade and his gimpy legs has no business in there at all. It's a version of the '85 Bears and their use of William "The Refrigerator" Perry in similar goal line situations. But then the Bears won the Super Bowl that year, so what the hell did they know . . .

Reactions: intrepodor

Oh it's just Cade getting into game shape and knocking the rust off

Did you know Iowa won 10 games last season?

Never question Kirk. Ever.

You think kf was calling for passes on the goal line or runs with no FB?

Doubtful.

Y'all wanted more creativity and less predictability, we'll ya got it inside the 5 on those two drives; I certainly wasn't expecting all the passing and no power game.

First off, first and goal at the 1 1/2 yard line should be a QB sneak as you might score then but you should get have the distance. Then you have more options. I think Lester needs to tell Kirk when it is QB sneak time we need to put Sullivan or Marco in.
Yep, it is just sneaks all the way in. Tell Jones, Colby and Stephens they better drive them SOBs backward. Punches to the balls if need be. Do we have a back that can leap any more???????????????????

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT