ADVERTISEMENT

There’s no shortage of teachers. We’ve just driven them out of schools.

The national teacher's associations and numerous districts across the country have done damage to the profession with their political posturing. It has damaged relations with parents and eroded trust.

Also, I was speaking to a close friend last week who said that some teachers have left the profession because they have grown tired of the leftwing ideology that is now dominating the profession. They refuse to just go along.

Some of these educators need to take a good hard look in the mirror.
Absolute BS.

Here's another factor: Society is actively telling young girls to avoid professions that are historically dominated by females. "Don't be a teacher, be a principal!" "Don't be a nurse, be a doctor!"

While this is laudable from a feminism standpoint, MEN are not going to step in and fill the void, and we're all going to need a teacher and a nurse at various points in our lives.

But increasingly, no one wants those jobs anymore.

That’s not what he said. I can give some blame on discipline to the left but he’s blaming unions and ideology which is most likely referring to grooming, liberal indoctrination, CRT…which is all nonsense.

Depends where and what you teach. I'm in a pretty liberal district and I know a lot of frustrated teachers. Then again, the state gov wants to go 180 the other way. I just want to teach the kids to think for themselves.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Four day schedules will drive many parents to move. Daycare expenses would increase dramatically. At the very least it will deter many from moving into district.

teachers will work 4 days a week but not 5?
Work longer days to get a three-day weekend most weeks? Many would. The CO district that implemented it did so because their pay is the lowest in their area and they couldn't get residents to vote for a tax increase to raise pay. This was done as a "bonus" to attract teachers.

And, yes, it creates problems for the residents who don't want to pay their teachers a competitive salary. *shrug* Pick your poison.

Here's another factor: Society is actively telling young girls to avoid professions that are historically dominated by females. "Don't be a teacher, be a principal!" "Don't be a nurse, be a doctor!"

While this is laudable from a feminism standpoint, MEN are not going to step in and fill the void, and we're all going to need a teacher and a nurse at various points in our lives.

But increasingly, no one wants those jobs anymore.

Agree about telling women they can do anything and there is nothing wrong with that at all. They can, and should take on any job.

It's a false narrative about men in school. There have always been tons of male teachers in secondary buildings and the amount of male elementary teachers is on the rise.

It's totally a small sample size but the last 3 times I've been into urgent care/ ER the doctor was a woman and the nurse was a male.

I think gender stereotyping seems to be decreasing for jobs.

If she’s using the state issued texts and materials they’re already approved. And the primary kids reading list for the classroom is often also pre-approved.
The library is the librarian’s territory not the teachers problem.
I call shenanigans.

Every classroom in my district PK-6 has a classroom library of supplemental texts. Some of the books are consistent across classrooms, many are not. Particularly as you get to 3-6 the books become tailored by subject and student ability. We have kids who are reading 3-4 books/week. They don’t go to the library often enough to cover that demand for books. Thus teachers build mini-libraries for their rooms.

This practice is years in the making and so now teachers have to go back and catalog what is in their rooms before they can hand it out.

You are so wrong that it’s not even worth the back and forth. Typical MAGA response.

You said:
"I’m starting my 26th year in education and literally the only people I’ve encountered with political viewpoints are the MAGAs..."

Your profession has more left leaning people than not. That's been well documented. Numerous examples of those political viewpoints creeping into the classroom. I don't believe your statement one bit.

You said:
"I’m starting my 26th year in education and literally the only people I’ve encountered with political viewpoints are the MAGAs..."

Your profession has more left leaning people than not. That's been well documented. Numerous examples of those political viewpoints creeping into the classroom. I don't believe your statement one bit.
Last statement. You have NO idea what goes on in a school on a daily basis. None. Quit acting like you do.

Sorry I couldn’t support your perspective. I’m fact, I’m starting my 26th year in education and literally the only people I’ve encountered with political viewpoints are the MAGAs who come to board meetings and recite what they heard on Fox or Newsmax…and they just make a fool of themselves because they have no clue about what really happens in a building.
Not worth engaging on this. I'm in year 31 and I couldn't tell you who most of the people I've worked with in all those years voted for. I can't imagine a workplace where politics is a regular topic of discussion - I can't even remember the last political discussion at work. There's just no time for it - we've got work to do.

I live in one of the most consistently Republican voting counties in Indiana. We don’t even have Democratic candidates in most races.

My superintendent, HR Director, elementary curriculum director and tech director are staunch evangelical Christians. Most of our building level admins are as well. I would say our teacher group is probably 70/30 conservative/liberal split. We have maybe 5 of 300 teachers who could remotely be considered “woke”. And most of the 30% liberal are Indiana liberals (so just to the right of Eisenhower or Teddy R).

I’m just not sure how this group has allowed a bunch of radical leftist political ideology in our local schools.

Every classroom in my district PK-6 has a classroom library of supplemental texts. Some of the books are consistent across classrooms, many are not. Particularly as you get to 3-6 the books become tailored by subject and student ability. We have kids who are reading 3-4 books/week. They don’t go to the library often enough to cover that demand for books. Thus teachers build mini-libraries for their rooms.

This practice is years in the making and so now teachers have to go back and catalog what is in their rooms before they can hand it out.
My no-pic wife taught first grade for the past 16 years. She had a classroom library that was literally thousands of books most of which she bought. She had more books in her room than the media center did. She taught kids not just how to read but how to love to read. And all of that is past tense. They took the one aide for her grade level last year and let the first-grade teachers know that class sizes would increase by a third this year. After 34 years, my wife said that was enough and retired. If they had come to her and told her she had to catalog all the books in her room, she'd have laughed in their faces.

I was talking to an IC teacher today and he said they can hire, but retention is very tough. He grew up in rural Iowa and he said there is a wave coming there that parents and administrators are not ready for. He said the rural teachers are more stable career wise, but there is a large percentage of teachers moving towards retirement, and no way to replace them all. He said they do not deal with all of the same kind of stuff that he's dealt with in Des Moines, and in IC, but the stresses are there in other ways.I asked him if he'd move back to the area he grew up in and he said no way. There isn't enough opportunity. His wife isn't a teacher, and he said she'd probably have to work 50-75 miles away. Recruiting to rural Iowa is very hard.
He predicted a wave of four day schedules starting next year, and people are really going to be shocked. Maybe something happens then, but, what? You can't just crank out more teachers. Maybe you slow the pace of retirement for a bit while you train new teachers, but all the other forces make it so hard to retain teachers.
The four day thing is already starting in some places in Iowa. I agree….it’s going to be a shock for many….but we made our bed already…time to lay in it….

You have elementary teachers in Florida who have been told to remove all their books period…This is what MAGA America looks like.

I don’t blame teachers at all….these nuts run for school board to push their crazy views instead of actually being a responsible parent…maybe it’s not always the school and teachers fault eh? We quite literally don’t pay them enough to deal with the BS.

Last statement. You have NO idea what goes on in a school on a daily basis. None. Quit acting like you do.
It's much worse than having no idea. He has chosen to believe that the mission statement of public schools is to indoctrinate, groom, and convince kids to become gay or trans. If they use gullible morons to help them destroy public education, they will have more gullible morons to sell things to and vote for them in the future.

It's much worse than having no idea. He has chosen to believe that the mission statement of public schools is to indoctrinate, groom, and convince kids to become gay or trans. If they use gullible morons to help them destroy public education, they will have more gullible morons to sell things to and vote for them in the future.
Or be blatantly racist like the Dem's Minnesota Federation of Teachers and Minnesota Public Schools. This should really help your cause. LOL!

• Haha
Reactions: Tom Paris
If she’s using the state issued texts and materials they’re already approved. And the primary kids reading list for the classroom is often also pre-approved.
The library is the librarian’s territory not the teachers problem.
I call shenanigans.
It's her classroom. Of course she has to have all of those books approved. She probably bought most of them. My wife bought almost every book in her room. No way it's shenanigans.

Four day schedules will drive many parents to move. Daycare expenses would increase dramatically. At the very least it will deter many from moving into district.

teachers will work 4 days a week but not 5?
One day would be planning. The other 4 would extend by 2 hours.

Reactions: cigaretteman

When did I ever say I believe that? Your post is false.

The national teacher's associations and numerous districts across the country have done damage to the profession with their political posturing. It has damaged relations with parents and eroded trust.

Also, I was speaking to a close friend last week who said that some teachers have left the profession because they have grown tired of the leftwing ideology that is now dominating the profession. They refuse to just go along.

I've seen it work it's way through a district I was pretty familiar with. Teachers are feeling trapped, thus leaving the profession. Some think the way to teach is to just show love & affection. It's the easy way out.

• Haha
When did I ever say I believe that? Your post is false.
Hyperbolic for sure, but you recognize the truth in it. You have been brainwashed into thinking a substantial percentage of teachers are political activists and that schools are indoctrinating kids regarding sexuality. It's an intentional effort to undermine support for public schools and it's working. You're a pawn.

When your white guilt puts you in a spot of being white and racist against white people, you probably are a bitch.

* and by probably I mean you are.

Hyperbolic for sure, but you recognize the truth in it. You have been brainwashed into thinking a substantial percentage of teachers are political activists and that schools are indoctrinating kids regarding sexuality. It's an intentional effort to undermine support for public schools and it's working. You're a pawn.
No, no, no.... totally cool to be making hiring and firing decisions off representation and not merit..... totally cool.

When was the last time you were in a school? For a person that doesn't watch right wing media you sure do quote it daily.
She had a couple sentences in that entire post that touched on anything that would be considered political. The rest of it was pretty much spot on.

This. Exactly. Even the Republican parents in my school, who know I’m a democrat know I don’t talk politics. It’s just a ridiculous thing for a teacher to do, especially in these charged up times. Seriously, probably the parent who I interact with the most is a MAGA. Big time.

It is so tiresome to respond to people who think they know about classroom settings that have never worked in one.
Which grade was the last one you passed? How long ago was that?
What the hell do you pretend to know about an educational setting?

You said:

Why don’t people from your POV enter the profession? You know, provide a balanced education…

I honestly do NOT think that the VAST majority of teachers are doing any grooming, indoctrinating, politicizing or pushing CRT to kids.
Do I think there’s a very tiny group of “teachers” who for whatever reason I won’t attempt to fathom have come into the profession with a mindset that’s not appropriate nor positive and has been formed by their own life experiences in school? Yes.
Like I said - a tiny number, but with social media being so powerful these problem people are being portrayed as an outsize number and are being given power that has harmed the entire profession.
I wish teachers would be given jobs in schools where they were safe, strongly supported by Administrators and informed and involved School Boards who don’t treat THEIR employers- parents and taxpayers-like the enemy.
And they need to be paid.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT