ADVERTISEMENT

There are not enough nurses to take care of everyone who needs care, and it's getting worse....

If the insurance companies are keeping profits, that means they are not paying that money to the providers, who employ the nurses.

If you really think the government is going to do a better job, you need to rethink that.

They are making those profits under the current "Medicare" system. Under "Medicare for All" they would make more.

The Forbes article isn't talking about profits from the healthcare provided by employers and the ACA exchanges. The insurance companies are profit-limited in that line of business under Obamacare rules.

They are making those profits administering Medicare, Medicaid, and through selling Medicare supplements.

In any case, none of that money is available to pay higher salaries to nurses.
Bull. Per your last sentence... All of the profits are available to pay higher salaries to nurses and all others actually providing care.
Those who invest in health care corporations, I mean invest in health care companies as a way to glean profit, and then take out profits, are the reason that true providers such as nurses don’t make salaries commiserate with skill sets and efforts.

Bull. Per your last sentence... All of the profits are available to pay higher salaries to nurses and all others actually providing care.
Those who invest in health care corporations, I mean invest in health care companies as a way to glean profit, and then take out profits, are the reason that true providers such as nurses don’t make salaries commiserate with skill sets and efforts.

Bill, Bill, Bill...

Let me type slower for you, so maybe you can understand it.

The insurance companies don't employ any nurses who care for patients.

The insurance companies pay claims to the employers of nurses who care for patients.

If the insurance companies are keeping profits, that means they are not paying that money to the employers who pay the nurses and could give them raises if they had more money.

I'm only in page 2 and I love the level of control OP wants. I keep hearing 100% control is a Lib thing. OP wants to silence the SJWs' wokeness because, obviously, it's this that is the root cause of nurse shortages.

And then I love that some of the relatively acceptable-sounding proposed solutions to resolving this shortage involve government intervention—student loan forgiveness, for example. It's almost like OP would like government to help with things he finds important.

Holy shit. Trad, you're awesome.

I'm only in page 2 and I love the level of control OP wants. I keep hearing 100% control is a Lib thing. OP wants to silence the SJWs' wokeness because, obviously, it's this that is the root cause of nurse shortages.

And then I love that some of the relatively acceptable-sounding proposed solutions to resolving this shortage involve government intervention—student loan forgiveness, for example. It's almost like OP would like government to help with things he finds important.

Holy shit. Trad, you're awesome.

One day you're going to be laying in a bed full of poop and piss and you're going to wish you had a nurse.

One day you're going to be laying in a bed full of poop and piss and you're going to wish you had a nurse.
And here you are ignoring the entirety of my point. Why is it, in your world, acceptable for government to intervene in that which you find at issue? And why is it, in your world, that you could actually find cause to blame, of all things, SJWs and woke culture for such a problem?

Plenty goofy shit for which you can blame over-exuberant SJWs and/or over-extended wokeness. Yet you find a way to suggest these are partly to blame for nurse shortages. Holy shit, Trad.

And here you are ignoring the entirety of my point. Why is it, in your world, acceptable for government to intervene in that which you find at issue? And why is it, in your world, that you could actually find cause to blame, of all things, SJWs and woke culture for such a problem?

Plenty goofy shit for which you can blame over-exuberant SJWs and/or over-extended wokeness. Yet you find a way to suggest these are partly to blame for nurse shortages. Holy shit, Trad.

Health care is a mess BECAUSE the government is all involved in it, you moran!

Before the government polluted the market with Medicare and Medicaid, doctors would make house calls and accept a live chicken as payment for services rendered.

Today, they can't even tell you what a doctor's office visit will cost without asking what sort of insurance you have. If you say, "I'm paying cash, no insurance" they don't know how to handle that.

Health care is a mess BECAUSE the government is all involved in it, you moran!

Before the government polluted the market with Medicare and Medicaid, doctors would make house calls and accept a live chicken as payment for services rendered.

Today, they can't even tell you what a doctor's office visit will cost without asking what sort of insurance you have. If you say, "I'm paying cash, no insurance" they don't know how to handle that.
And yet you seem open to government intervention—student loan forgiveness, for example—to ameliorate.

But let's break down this latest effort.

So now it's government's fault. Maybe SJWs and woke bros are off the hook?

Government polluted the market with Medicare and Medicaid. How? Insurance was already a thing, and it was decided too many Americans were uninsured—in other words, the "market" was not sufficiently managing the need for people to have accessible and affordable health care. Never mind that the "market" and "government" are not nor ever have been completely unique and distinct entities. They are intertwined, Trad. I realize you need to think of them as unique and separate in order for your worldview to be framed and kept precious. But they're intertwined. How this relates to doctors and house calls and chickens, I have no idea. Like I said, insurance was a thing before these two government programs were devised.

Then you deride that health care doesn't even know how to function for someone who just wants to walk in and pay cash. Is this the fault of SJWs? Woke culture? Oh, right, it's government. But wait, this is an insurance industry thing. Which is market. Oh, damn, this is just so confusing! Almost like government and market are, uh, intertwined somehow!

It almost sounds like you're advocating for health care with much less red tape, much more accessible and unencumbered. And you also don't seem to like the gleaming palaces of for-profit health care. But this is a function of the health care industry, the market, gaming the system to its own advantage while being not-so-great at the red tapey and affordability/accessibility thing. Weird.

No wonder SJWs are to blame! So much easier to figure out!

And yet you seem open to government intervention—student loan forgiveness, for example—to ameliorate.

But let's break down this latest effort.

So now it's government's fault. Maybe SJWs and woke bros are off the hook?

Government polluted the market with Medicare and Medicaid. How? Insurance was already a thing, and it was decided too many Americans were uninsured—in other words, the "market" was not sufficiently managing the need for people to have accessible and affordable health care. Never mind that the "market" and "government" are not nor ever have been completely unique and distinct entities. They are intertwined, Trad. I realize you need to think of them as unique and separate in order for your worldview to be framed and kept precious. But they're intertwined. How this relates to doctors and house calls and chickens, I have no idea. Like I said, insurance was a thing before these two government programs were devised.

Then you deride that health care doesn't even know how to function for someone who just wants to walk in and pay cash. Is this the fault of SJWs? Woke culture? Oh, right, it's government. But wait, this is an insurance industry thing. Which is market. Oh, damn, this is just so confusing! Almost like government and market are, uh, intertwined somehow!

It almost sounds like you're advocating for health care with much less red tape, much more accessible and unencumbered. And you also don't seem to like the gleaming palaces of for-profit health care. But this is a function of the health care industry, the market, gaming the system to its own advantage while being not-so-great at the red tapey and affordability/accessibility thing. Weird.

No wonder SJWs are to blame! So much easier to figure out!

Now that the market is completely fvcked there's no turning back without complete anarchy.

Thanks, liberals.

Reactions: Rudolph
If you say, "I'm paying cash, no insurance" they don't know how to handle that.

Wrong. You ask what the cash price is.

I did this with my last eye exam; "insurance" price was $260.
Cash price was $130. I had to ask them twice to make sure I heard that correctly.

Yep. Bill was $130 for the exam.

Wrong. You ask what the cash price is.

I did this with my last eye exam; "insurance" price was $260.
Cash price was $130. I had to ask them twice to make sure I heard that correctly.

Yep. Bill was $130 for the exam.

Vision "insurance" is a complete scam.

Reactions: unIowa
Government polluted the market with Medicare and Medicaid. How?

Exactly.

Private insurers and Hospital Administrators running clinics/hospitals "for profit" polluted the markets. You only get to negotiate rates if you show up and ask in advance and get a quote WHEN you have a choice. Show up when you are in immediate need of care, and you'll end up with a non-negotiable bill.

Vision "insurance" is a complete scam.

I agree. Rates are jacked up. All the eyeglasses frames at any optometrist come from Luxottica, and there is almost zero competition.

Warby Parker was the first actual "independent" frame and lens offering. Now, there are others. But before that, you paid all the monopolistic pricing from Luxottica.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT