ADVERTISEMENT

Thermometer or No Thermometer when cooking steak?

I use a thermapen on all meat. I don’t know why you wouldn’t if you own one. I have cooked for 30 years and have yet to meet any at home cook that nails it every time.
200w.gif

I'll ask again...
He would cook steaks like you, and some would be undercooked, some would be overcooked, and some would be perfect. But he would act like they were all perfect, like the rest of the fools in this thread

The only people that can truly tell when meat is perfect worked in food service for years. And even then, I still get rare steaks at fine steakhouses when I order medium rare from time to time.

Humans make mistakes. The thermapen does not.

Reactions: Kelsers
He would cook steaks like you, and some would be undercooked, some would be overcooked, and some would be perfect. But he would act like they were all perfect, like the rest of the fools in this thread

The only people that can truly tell when meat is perfect worked in food service for years. And even then, I still get rare steaks at fine steakhouses when I order medium rare from time to time.

Humans make mistakes. The thermapen does not.
I catered for years. In the 80s there was no thermapen. We learned to cook steaks and everything else to the desired temperature. Maybe, with a little more practice, you will be able to do the same.

No. Pork & chicken a different story.

Brisket or ribs, yes.

I am purely a color and firmness type of guy. Thicker cuts get tougher but I am generally the only one that eats them so don't care. I Did ribeye's for Christmas with several wanting medium well to well done (just let them go longer or the ones that were a little hotter on the grill). Everyone ended up happy. Let them rest while I did up mushrooms and onions.

I catered for years. In the 80s there was no thermapen. We learned to cook steaks and everything else to the desired temperature. Maybe, with a little more practice, you will be able to do the same.
that’s like a professional craftsman telling a DIY he can eyeball precision cuts so it shouldn’t be a problem for him. As I said, if you haven’t worked in food service, you have not made enough of anything to eyeball it and nail it every time. And even then, you’re going to make mistakes and miss from time to time.

Nope. I make sure the water in the pot is at a hard boil. Then drop in the steak, set a timer for 4 minutes and 20 seconds and pull immediately at time.

Dry excess water with your dish sponge, add plenty of ketchup, some no salt Mrs. Dash and you have perfection!

There's no reason to get it out for a steak. They are so easy to cook.

And how have we gone a whole thread on here and not one DB has said I can make a better steak at home then any restaurant. This place is slipping.

I use it, but not often. Wife uses one religiously. When cooking steaks I use the same temp and time. Nothing in the process changes so no need. Burgers you can feel the temp within 5° or so with how firm it is. I use it on chicken and anything slow cooked on the smoker.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT